Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

benny79 wrote: »
    What about all the people who bought tickets on the likes of donedeal etc some over the odds and some for cost there must be thousands! how will they be refunded. There's rumours that if you bought tickets online your card will be refunded meaning the touts or people who sold tickets on will double their money! surely this can't be true?

The refunds will have to go to the person that they bought the ticket off, i.e., the person that bought the ticket with their card through legal channels. It is against the conditions of sale, all printed on the tickets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

What about all the people who bought tickets on the likes of donedeal etc some over the odds and some for cost there must be thousands! how will they be refunded. There's rumours that if you bought tickets online your card will be refunded meaning the touts or people who sold tickets on will double their money! surely this can't be true?

This is true. I was told they'll send an email to inform ticket holders that their refund is on the way and it'll be automatically refunded to the card.

So I feel very sorry for a lot of the really serious fans who missed out on the first 3 concerts, heard nothing about 2 more and so bought from touts because they really wanted to be there.

They're the real losers in this.

And yea, the touts will get their cards refunded :rolleyes:

Might prompt a review of drip feeding concerts and the security of e-tickets in the event of a cancellation.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

There's rumours that if you bought tickets online your card will be refunded meaning the touts or people who sold tickets on will double their money! surely this can't be true?
    That is the normal way to be refunded. You will have to ask the person you bought it off for a refund.

Lots of people seemed to snap them up in groups and were left with too many, not all resellers/touts are shady criminal types wanting to rip you off.
    muddypaws wrote: »
    It is illegal to buy or sell tickets in this way, so I'm afraid there is no redress if you do it.
    It is not illegal, otherwise the gardai would be all over ebay, adverts & www.toutless.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭HurtLocker

Mope fully DCC will put an end to those "hats scarfs and headbands" screamers outside Croke Park, the grown men who stand by car parks and aggressively demand payment for pointing at it. And revenue should call around to all those DIY shop owners operating from houses near the stadium with shoddy table for cash only,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Thats the risk you take buying second hand. Your at the mercy of whoever you bought from doing the decent thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

The Vatican - did anyone phone the Vatican, maybe Pope Francis could fix this.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Tarzana wrote: »
    It also highlights than many people in this country are happy for cronyism, corruption and bypassing of rules and regulations to happen if it benefits them. Which makes this part of your post deliciously ironic:

:D

You can be damn sure plenty of planning regulations exist in the Netherlands too.

You'd better believe though they wouldn't have planned it to this degree without making damn sure it could go ahead first. Still though, the area misses out because of a few "not in my back yard"ers. We are the only country in the world that could organise a series of massive concerts, the biggest in the history of the state and blow it in such embarrassing fashion. Probably all of the Irish Garth Brook fans miss out the most in fairness, he'll never set foot on these shores again after this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

The fans may be suffering from a bit of Stockholm Syndrome alright but I don't care for the man at all. I'm just saying I can rationalize his viewpoint to some extent. Of course to say money has no impact is naive but I don't think it's the primary motivator like people claim.
    It's stubborness more than greed, and the people paying for this stubborness are his fans.
    Also WRT iTunes I believe it's because he wants people to listen to his albums as a collective piece, rather than just download the singles.
    He's released 48 singles and has 3 greatest hits albums out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

I like garth but this had to happen:D

rubadub wrote: »

It is not illegal, otherwise the gardai would be all over ebay, adverts & www.toutless.com

Apologies, my mistake.

However, it is against the conditions of sale on the tickets, so it does still leave the holder of the tickets with no redress, if the person they bought the tickets off doesn't want to refund them, not sure how much they can do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,681 ✭✭✭SteM

Apparently it amounted to something like €18 per household, not at lot really.

I'd fully expect them to refuse it and demand more tbh.

People keep coming out with this line, case of if you say something enough it becomes truth.

As part of the independent negotiations it was suggested that a €500,000 'Legacy fund' be set up for the local area. Some hack or a boardsie did the maths and came up with the line that the residents had been offered money and it amounted to €18 per household. No households were ever offered money - they were never offered cash.

If the government injects money into an areas for regeneration or improvement no one ever breaks the amount down to a € amount per household so I don't know why people continue to do it in this instance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭greenflash

If Brooks has any degree of affection for his Irish fans (who haven't seen him play here in over 17 years), surely he could have got together with Aiken and the GAA to look into switching the unlicensed dates to provincial stadiums like Semple, Mowlam Park, Pairc Ui Chaoimh etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

zagmund wrote: »
    Umm, what sort of equipment could be so customised that it couldn't be re-used? The staging equipment is part of his world tour. Do you think his people build a new environment from scratch for every location and then just dumps it after 2 (or 5) concerts? Pretty unlikely. It's all packed up and sent on the road to the next location. Is there something specific about Croke Park (like not being a giant stadium shaped stadium like the others around the globe) that makes it so different?

z

One has a basic toolkit of equipment to pick from but ultimately every stadium is custom designed for the top level shows.

In a sporting analogy it would be wrong to think that all Formula 1 tracks were the same, though the car, the driver and the technicians are the same, the car is set up and even driven to suit the track and of course the weather.

A bit of work would have gone into designing specifically for Croke Park and some of that might actually be custom designed, however the tool kit is basically reused.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

greenflash wrote: »
    Pairc Ui Chaoimh etc.

Aiken was interviewed on RedFM [Cork] this morning and he mentioned how it was jut four days before the concert for Bruce last year that the license was issued for the above stadium.

Knife edge stuff.

I'm sure they could have planned an tour but that was not planned, Aiken is not ruling it out and it is not even a thought right now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

zagmund wrote: »
    Do you really think he's just this dude who thought it might be fun to come to Ireland to do a few gigs and he's going to make no money or lose money on this deal?

You will find he has a management company behind him, and you will find that (unless they are a truly terrible management company) the contract would have been written in such a way that he can't lose money on the deal. Someone will lose money, that's for sure, but I doubt very much it would be him.

z

I think you are expecting too much. The essence of the music business is built up from an Artist working off an investment. It doesn't matter if the product is profitable, if the artist can't pay off the investment.

Garth will lose on this based on some scale of the production costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭AlanG

spiralism wrote: »
    the area misses out because of a few "not in my back yard"ers. We are the only country in the world that could organise a series of massive concerts, the biggest in the history of the state and blow it in such embarrassing fashion. Probably all of the Irish Garth Brook fans miss out the most in fairness, he'll never set foot on these shores again after this.

This is no different than any scam - they sold tickets for an event they had no permission for and had agreed not to hold. They figured the pressure of the already sold tickets would force the councils hand. The law was enforced and now we see the greed and ugly side of Garth.
    This is no different than developers building and then expecting retention planning permission.

Perhaps now they will start doing the right thing and applying for permission before they sell the tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

I think ticketmaster usually have a policy on refunds for cancelled events that the tickets have to be returned by post before they issue a refund , on one hand this will be a pain in the ass but on the other it may stop touts getting their refund if they are no longer in possession of the tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭NTC

Irishcrx wrote: »
    I think ticketmaster usually have a policy on refunds for cancelled events that the tickets have to be returned by post before they issue a refund , on one hand this will be a pain in the ass but on the other it may stop touts getting their refund if they are no longer in possession of the tickets.

Just on TodayFM, the refund will be automatic it you bought online/phone/app and will include your handling and transaction fee. Can't find a link just yet.

The refunds will take place on Tuesday.

Found a link in another thread.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91197331&postcount=4561

Not sure if this has been posted up yet, it is funny, I know the scene gets used over and over again, but the writing is funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgyHQ5125_s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Dear customer,
    Ticketmaster has put the following cancellation plan in place. It's intention is to make this refund process as simple and convenient as possible for you the ticket purchaser.
    You are receiving this email because you purchased ticket(s) over the phone, online or on your mobile and as such please be aware that no action is required on your part. On Tuesday, 15th July a full refund including service charge will automatically be returned to the card used to make the purchase. Please allow 7-10 working days for the refund to reach your account.
    Please also note the following in relation to bookings made at Ticketmaster ticket centres:
    For tickets purchased through Ticketmaster ticket centres
    POSTAL: A refund form is available via the Garth Brooks FAQ page at www.ticketmaster.ie/gbrefunds. Please print, complete and return this form along WITH your GARTH BROOKS TICKETS to PO Box 4695, Dublin 2. Please make a note of the show date and your seat details and retain the left hand portion of the refund form for your records. A full refund including service charges will be processed by bank transfer within 21 days of receiving the form and tickets.
    IN PERSON AT TICKET CENTRES: From July 15th you may return your tickets to the ticket centre where you purchased them from and complete the refund form which will be available at the ticket centre from this date. The completed form together with your GARTH BROOKS TICKETS should be handed in at the ticket centre. Please make a note of the show date and your seat details and retain the left hand portion of the refund form for your records. A refund by bank transfer will be processed within 21 days of receiving the form and tickets.
    Please note: If you purchased tickets from News & Deli Dundalk /Fassaugh Stores Cabra, Dublin /Whites Wexford /the Irish Shop Ennis/ Cusack Park Ennis, these are no longer affiliated with Ticketmaster. Refunds for tickets purchased at these ticket centres are available from any existing Ticketmaster ticket centre using the same refund process as above or alternatively you can use the postal option set out above.
    See www.ticketmaster.ie/gbrefunds for full details.
    Ticketmaster would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused due to this cancellation.
    Best wishes,
    Ticketmaster Customer Services

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Completely agree with this. Some residents would still grumble, but if the GAA were actually properly managing crowds at big events, who would be complaining? Seriously, have 2 routes in and out that lead to massive amounts of extra public transport on, from where people can disperse. Don't leave people to wander around small residential streets pissing on hall doors and jumping on cars. There's a genuine precedent for anti-social behaviour from people attending events at Croke Park, why wouldn't the residents object to 5 nights in a row of noise, being locked in and the risk of anti-social behaviour? But if the anti-social behaviour was cracked down on and transport to and from the venue was sorted so that people WEREN'T parking abandoning their cars anywhere they liked meaning that the residents weren't so badly disrupted, you're left with just the noise. Most people could deal with the noise if that was the only serious disruption.

This issue didn't appear out of nowhere, it stemmed from years of the GAA giving the residents the two fingered salute.

The point about the lack of security is very salient. In every single large scale gig I've been to there is always adequate security on the streets before the performance. But afterwards, once you leave the stadium you can walk for up to ten minutes before you might see a few token Gardai at a major junction. This journey is often at night and under darkness and if people who are now well drunk want to act the eejit then frankly there is nobody around to stop them doing so. Ive seen plenty of lads pissing in gardens and down side streets plenty of times to know it goes on. It mainly goes on because all the stewards are inside the stadium patting themselves on the back for a job well done once the last punter has left the stadium. That's all the promoters and venue care about, 'get them out on the streets, they're not our problem anymore'. They take zero responsibility for hosting a 6-7 hour event for 80,000 people, serve them enough drink to get bladdered and then let them out on the streets without even sending the stewards out to make sure your neighbours aren't effected by the 1% anti social element in the 80,000 crowd. Because that's all we're talking about here, 1% of people acting the bollox when pissed and hyper after leaving a gig. Police that 1% effectively and then you haven't got a problem.
    conorhal wrote: »
    This is absolutely spot on. It was attempt to leverage a precedent off the back of a special event that they assumed would be rubber stamped. It was pure sleeven greed.
    This was of course standard in planning applications during the boom, every application was compliant, every application has shops, green spaces, gym’s and social amenities when they went before the planning board, and then as soon as planning permission was granted in principle the builders were back to say that the plan wasn’t economically viable but it would be if we ditch the social amenities and convert the shops to apartments. Of course the planners buckled, and of course the builders just happening to have alternate plans there in their back pocket just for such an eventuality.
    In other words it became expected that planning could be flaunted and substandard builds would be permitted. The GAA and Aitkin were banking on business as usual.
    I was gobsmacked to hear Aitkin doing the beal bocht on RTE this morning and I was disgusted that the presenter never bothered to ask him, ‘I assume a major event planner like yourself would be fully aware of how many licensed gigs were permitted each year at Croke Park and how many had already taken place, what exactly made you think that you would be granted a rubber stamp on a 200% increase on that number?’

Yeah it was the usual gombeen modus operandi at work here. The GAA were hoping all eight would be permitted, thus setting a new precedent for future years. Their plan involved riding the coat tails of Aiken and Garth Brooks in the hope that the pressure of disappointing concert goers would be too much for the City Planners to hack and that they'd capitulate. The GAA strategy right throughout this has been unbelievably Machiavellian - they have pretended (and still continue to pretend) that they are just an innocent back seat passenger in all this. Their behaviour smacks of 'nothing to see here'. And all the while they stoop in the background using Aiken & Brooks as a wrecking ball in an attempt to set a new precedent for the amount of annual concerts permitted. "Times move on" as the GAA said.

I agree with you about how RTE just give fawning uncritical coverage to Aiken, this is his cock up for not ensuring his venue wouldn't have planning issues with neighbours. But there are very few journalists in Ireland any more and those that do ask the hard questions quickly get swept aside. If Vincent Brown were 25 years of age there isn't a hope he would get a job as a journalist with a major publication, they don't want his type anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

greenflash wrote: »
    If Brooks has any degree of affection for his Irish fans (who haven't seen him play here in over 17 years), surely he could have got together with Aiken and the GAA to look into switching the unlicensed dates to provincial stadiums like Semple, Mowlam Park, Pairc Ui Chaoimh etc.
    If Brooks had any degree of affection for his irish fans he would have played 4 nights he was allowed to. But he seems to put things in this order or priority:
    1. Throwing toys out of the pram
    2. Irish fans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Are we going to have to suffer through another week of media coverage of these f*cking gigs?

Jesus Christ.

Ticketmaster telling people how they're getting their money back is not a top news story but yet radio stations are reporting on it as if it's the most mind-blowing thing we've ever heard.

For. F*ck's. Sake. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Fair play to the Moran and Bewley Hotel group in the refunding of hotel rooms that people booked and payed for and were under no obligation under their terms and conditions to do so.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Are we going to have to suffer through another week of media coverage of these f*cking gigs?

Jesus Christ.

Ticketmaster telling people how they're getting their money back is not a top news story but yet radio stations are reporting on it as if it's the most mind-blowing thing we've ever heard.

For. F*ck's. Sake. :mad:

Well at 70 euro a ticket it is important for 400,000 ticket holders, not everyone has email and didn't buy online so how else would they find out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

I might get a ban over this but here goes;

Was there not enough brown envelopes thrown at this ??

pc7 wrote: »
    Well at 70 euro a ticket it is important for 400,000 ticket holders, not everyone has email and didn't buy online so how else would they find out.

I don't know. Ring up ticketmaster perhaps?

How to get a refund is not headline news.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I don't know. Ring up ticketmaster perhaps?

How to get a refund is not headline news.

Good luck trying that its a nightmare, either way now everyone knows, it'll all be over now its done and dusted everyone knows where the land lies. Sure its silly season it gives the media some work.

• Advertisement

pc7 wrote: »
    Good luck trying that its a nightmare, either way now everyone knows, it'll all be over now its done and dusted everyone knows where the land lies.

I wish that was true. But nope - we're going to have to listen to people twattling on about this until well into next week I bet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement