Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Good riddens?
    yes, get rid, he's a liability

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Bogdanistan

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    They said they'd consider it. They did. They went with 3 and GB went with 0.

Not withstanding the forged objections, they did more than that, as the Oireachtas committee have already uncovered, when DCC were were approached by the GAA/Aiken about the likelihood of the concerts DCC claimed their would be no problem, that's what actually caused this whole mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

nm wrote: »
    In fairness that was down to the GAA to sort that out, not Aikens.

I have to ask nm, why do you insist on calling Peter Aiken 'Aikens'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

riddens ? Is he departing on a horse or something ?

muddypaws wrote: »

To give you something to post ?

• Advertisement

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    Peter McKenna disagrees with you.

The Bord Pleanala conditions from 1992 grant 3 licences automatically for non sporting events. After that a PEL must be applied for.

The GAA then agreed to no more than 3 per year in 2009 and it is this agreement that the GAA and Aiken are blindly ignoring .

This is why they are trying to justify ignoring the agreement "national importance" "great cultural event" and Keegan is saying "unprecedented" for 5 in a row to be asked for when the 3 have already taken place.

I think this is why the minutes of this meeting are the only ones since 2010 not to appear on the GAA website.
    The GAA told the Oireachtas committee yesterday, that the meeting in February was "positive"

I would imagine that the BP permission legally supersedes the 2009 agreement, but without seeing both it is impossible to say. But was Aiken and the GAA naive, stupid or arrogant to think that there would be no issue with 5 consecutive nights after 1D had already played 3 consecutive nights, 2 months earlier, after signing an agreement to limit concerts to 3.

Link 1
    Link 2
    well whether it exists or not which i suspect it doesn't or isn't legally binding the GAA did nothing wrong by allowing more then 3 concerts, the promotors did nothing wrong either, they applied for the events licences as required to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

conorh91 wrote: »
    I don't deny that something exists, but it's the most curious thing that this document purports to clarify everything, and yet it seems this document has not been given to the media or otherwise made generally available.

Like I said it's difficult to see the sense in this. I am totally disinterested in the Garth Brooks fiasco but am really skeptical about this agreement, and I'd say many people are.

If it doesn't exist though then why have Croke park never come out and denied it's existence?

No he isn't

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Not withstanding the forged objections, they did more than that, as the Oireachtas committee have already uncovered, when DCC were were approached by the GAA/Aiken about the likelihood of the concerts DCC claimed their would be no problem, that's what actually caused this whole mess.

Notwithstanding the, what, is it 8 forgeries? Wooo, restart the whole process! 2% of objections have been proven fake!
    Nope, DCC claimed they would consider the new proposal, as is their well established and widely accepted protocol. They considered. They said no.

ALLEGED forged objections ;)

• Advertisement

ThisRegard wrote: »
    riddens ? Is he departing on a horse or something ?
    Funny, cowboys Brooks and Aiken are the ones taking everybody for a ride! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

muddypaws wrote: »

Honest answer? I don't know, I think I used to read it like that on tickets (Aikens Presents? I'm not sure). I'll change it for you in future posts, it is Aiken that's correct after all. I'm sound like that.

well whether it exists or not which i suspect it doesn't or isn't legally binding the GAA did nothing wrong by allowing more then 3 concerts, the promotors did nothing wrong either, they applied for the events licences as required to

If it was binding from a planning point of view why did DCC grant 8 concerts inc. the 3 one direction concerts and 2 'matinees' in this 'stadium used for stadium events' fiasco.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Happyman42 wrote: »
    The offer of a 4th gig was made (and it was a mistake) BEFORE the final decision was made to people (Aiken/GAA) who claim that there was NO consultation or negotiations or indications that 5 would be allowed.

Keegan recieved a call next day (uncontested fact) from Aiken saying that Brooks would only play 5.
    DCC went ahead with their original decision.

I want to know who was applying pressure on planners BEFORE a decision was made. Do you think one of the people I voted to represent me in government will ask that?

Do you think it is important that we know who was pressuring a planning official BEFORE a decision was made?

Incorrect. The decision had been made - it just hadn't been announced.

bumper234 wrote: »
    Except for take it for granted that they could force through 5 concerts on the local residents. Hopefully they keep making these mistakes, it will make for a few peaceful years.
    the concerts were not forced upon the residents, the residents bought into it when they either decided to move there or stay there, those who lived there for a long time had an opportunity to stop the re-development but no, a few want to dictate when the national stadium partly funded by tax payers can be used, as i said, you don't want the hastle of living beside the national stadium, then sell up

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Honest answer? I don't know, I think I used to read it like that on tickets (Aikens Presents? I'm not sure). I'll change it for you in future posts, it is Aiken that's correct after all. I'm sound like that.

Nope. I've been going to concerts for well over 20 years in this city and where it was Aiken involved it has always been Aiken Promotions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Calina wrote: »
    Nope. I've been going to concerts for well over 20 years in this city and where it was Aiken involved it has always been Aiken Promotions.

Is this the best you can do?

It's Aiken, I was saying Aikens. Nightmare, you're right all gigs should have been called off, long live the residents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

They were bored. How dare you imply that entertaining these ideas was anything else.

Withdraw!

Gets caught out on posting bull**** - instead of addressing that or admitting they where wrong (like nm did) we will just mock any point we cannot stomach.

ALLEGED forged objections ;)

That's not the terminology the Oireachtas commitee used, far from it

the concerts were not forced upon the residents, the residents bought into it when they either decided to move there or stay there, those who lived there for a long time had an opportunity to stop the re-development but no, a few want to dictate when the national stadium partly funded by tax payers can be used, as i said, you don't want the hastle of living beside the national stadium, then sell up
    Laughable.
    If you move into a house next to a GAA stadium and they decide to play 100 Metallica concerts there then it's your own fault? Aiken and Brooks tried to force an expansion of the current usage of Croke Park. And failed miserably.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

No, they didn't. I rented into the idea a handful of concerts. Never 5 in a row.

Croke Park is not a national stadium either; otherwise it would be somewhere sane, we wouldn't need the Aviva and all the rugby and soccer would be played in there. I wish people would stop calling it a national stadium when it's privately owned and operated by a private organisation and the location was chosen for reasons of their history.

Is this the best you can do?

It's Aiken, I was saying Aikens. Nightmare, you're right all gigs should have been called off, long live the residents.
    LOL, that's what Garth said too!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,767 ✭✭✭hynesie08

What national teams play there?

If it was binding from a planning point of view why did DCC grant 8 concerts inc. the 3 one direction concerts and 2 'matinees' in this 'stadium used for stadium events' fiasco.

Because that's what the agreement is

3 unlicenced special events with no objections from residents. After that any event has to be licenced. Aiken wanted 5, DCC looked at the proposal and decided that 3 was feasible.

BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH..........

If you wish to dictate how the local residents live their lives thengo and live there and make the change from within.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    What national teams play there?
    Combined rules vs Aussies? :cool:

That's not the terminology the Oireachtas commitee used, far from it

Yeah,

That wasn't in anyway one sided :rolleyes:

Until there are arrests then they are still allegations.

Because that's what the agreement is

3 unlicenced special events with no objections from residents. After that any event has to be licenced. Aiken wanted 5, DCC looked at the proposal and decided that 3 was feasible.

The Oreachteas commited uncovered the fact the DCC fell overthemselves to encourage the 5 from the outset, otherwise Aiken/GAA would not have proceeded, that's what caused this mess. DCC tried to backtrack by pretending two matinees fufilled this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Calina wrote: »

Ah come on lads, nm and I are on different 'sides' of this discussion, but I feel we've overcome our differences and perhaps we are not necessarily friends now, but I think we'd probably enjoy a pint together, I was just asking him/her a silly question, I didn't mean it to become something to beat him/her with.

• Advertisement

The Oreachteas commited uncovered the fact the DCC fell overthemselves to encourage the 5 from the outset,
    Go on then, back this up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement