Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

The Oreachteas commited uncovered the fact the DCC fell overthemselves to encourage the 5 from the outset, otherwise Aiken/GAA would not have proceeded, that's what caused this mess. DCC tried to backtrack by pretending two matinees fufilled this.

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

First Up wrote: »
    Incorrect. The decision had been made - it just hadn't been announced.

Yet another poster who just makes things up without presenting any evidence.
    The 4 concerts where offered 'prior' to a decision.
    That was given in evidence to a dail committee and put on paper by DCC.
    Yet you present no evidence to contradict that. Great!
    On the evening of Wednesday 2 July 2014 prior to a decision being made on the event licence application I spoke to Jim Clarke of Aiken Promotions. I wanted to advise him as a matter of courtesy of the imminent decision on the licence application. In the course of that conversation I informed Mr Clarke that the likelihood was that only 3 concerts would be permitted. Mr Clarke rang me back later to say that Garth Brooks would not perform 3 concerts. I then offered to discuss with the decision maker in the Planning Department (Mr Keogan) the possibility of permitting a fourth concert if Mr Clarke could give me a guarantee that Garth Brooks would fulfil the 4 concerts. I gave no commitment to Mr Clarke in this regard. On the morning of Thursday 3 July and before any conversation took place with the decision maker, Mr Clarke rang me back to say that unless all 5 concerts were permitted Garth Brooks would not come to Dublin at all. I then withdrew my offer. The decision was made to grant the licence for 3 concerts.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Bogdanistan

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Go on then, back this up.

Watch the Oreachteas reports, and the transcipts when available will confirm this.
    The GAA have submitted a sworn affidavit to this fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Gets caught out on posting bull****
    What "bull****"? Link please?
    instead of addressing that or admitting they where wrong (like nm did) we will just mock any point we cannot stomach.

Ha, says the guy who was waffling on all week about the DCC had to wait 10 weeks by law to make decisions on licence applications. Which would of course mean, that whenever a promoter submitted an event licence application on the day of that ten week deadline, DCC wouldn't be able to grant or refuse a licence until the day of the concert.

Tell me Happyman42, can you link to the post where you 'admitted you were wrong' on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

Effects wrote: »
    Just checked my bank account and I've been refunded for all the tickets I bought. My wife also rang and told me when she opened the mail this morning there was a €100 voucher from ticketmaster there. Some sort of apology for the Garth Brooks ticket fiasco. Anyone else get this?

Take it this is a troll.............. as i know ........

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Watch the Oreachteas reports, and the transcipts when available will confirm this.
    Shure.
    So when they come out I'll be able to CTRL-F and find "the DCC fell overthemselves to encourage the 5 from the outset" there somewhere. Ya. Right.

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Shure.

:rolleyes:

:rolleyes:
    Likewise mate whenever I hear someone say the evidence is here somewhere oh er um did I drop it down the back of the sofa... can't you just take my word for it... scout's honour. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40 PatrickJoseph

This whole thing just looks more rotten with every day that goes by

bumper234 wrote: »
    LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO:D

That's what happens when you don't bother to inform yourself of the latest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Happyman42 and Wishiwasa Littlebitaller, give up the bickering.

Ok you have made the claim so now it's time to show the evidence!
    The Oreachteas commited uncovered the fact the DCC fell overthemselves to encourage the 5 from the outset, otherwise Aiken/GAA would not have proceeded, that's what caused this mess. DCC tried to backtrack by pretending two matinees fufilled this.

Would this sentence have made an ounce of sense if completed? It sure as duck doesn't now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Yet another poster who just makes things up without presenting any evidence.
    The 4 concerts where offered 'prior' to a decision.
    That was given in evidence to a dail committee and put on paper by DCC.
    Yet you present no evidence to contradict that. Great!

So much for Keegan's claims about the "integrity" of the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

If it doesn't exist though then why have Croke park never come out and denied it's existence?
    I clearly said, in the post you quote, that something exists.

What is it though? Is it likely to be a restatement of the original planning permission, which the residents have misinterpreted to give them a degree of protection that they are not entitled to?

Am I the only one who finds it really weird that the residents purportedly have a document that vindicates their position, and they don't want to share it with everyone, not even journalists?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

well whether it exists or not which i suspect it doesn't or isn't legally binding the GAA did nothing wrong by allowing more then 3 concerts, the promotors did nothing wrong either, they applied for the events licences as required to
    This is why your posts carry zero credibility.
    Peter McKenna says it exists, you don't.

What "bull****"? Link please?

Where you ran away from repeated questions about your bull**** contention that DCC where sitting on their hands until it was pointed out to you that they where STILL in mitigation with Aiken on the 29th June and delivered a decision on the 3rd of July.
    The Aiken who claims that at no time that they believed that there was a problem with the application. Yet we KNOW there where 3 updated Event Management Plans requested.
    Did any of the TD's at Committee question why that was? NO, they just wanted to go to a C?W gig:rolleyes:

Ha, says the guy who was waffling on all week about the DCC had to wait 10 weeks by law to make decisions on licence applications. Which would of course mean, that whenever a promoter submitted an event licence application on the day of that ten week deadline, DCC wouldn't be able to grant or refuse a licence until the day of the concert.

Tell me Happyman42, can you link to the post where you 'admitted you were wrong' on that?

Excuse me? Where was I 'waffling' 'all week' about that?

You need to adjust your exaggeration meter as I told you before.

conorh91 wrote: »
    I clearly said, in the post you quote, that something exists.

What is it though? Is it likely to be a restatement of the original planning permission, which the residents have misinterpreted to give them a degree of protection that they are not entitled to?

Am I the only one who finds it really weird that the residents purportedly have a document that vindicates their position, and they don't want to share it with everyone, not even journalists?

I agre but on the other hand is it not also strange that Croke park never came out and said no such thing exists? And then at a meeting actually say that times move on when the agreement gets mentioned?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

I watched them all.
    McKenna said he would swear an affidavit that Keegan told him he would get 5.
    Keegan denies it.

No affidavit has been sworn or submitted. Your post is wrong

Yes, and he apologised for succumbing to 'pressure'.

Now, don't you think it would fit our government (and it's committees) to find out WHO was applying pressure on a planning official prior to a planning decision being made, rather than crying into their cups about a gig a C/W singer had patently refused to fulfill his contract to play?

• Advertisement

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    I watched them all.
    McKenna said he would swear an affidavit that Keegan told him he would get 5.
    Keegan denies it.

No affidavit has been sworn or submitted. Your post is wrong

Have you proof it has not been submitted yet as you claim ?
    Duffy has sworn to this and committed to it.
    Funny how Keegan didn't commit to submitting a sworn affidavit.
    So one of them is lieing through their teeth and that's what this all boils down to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

I agre but on the other hand is it not also strange that Croke park never came out and said no such thing exists?
    No because they're not denying something exists. They seem to dispute its effect, i.e. they don't think it is binding on them.

If the residents deny this, and if they are correct to deny this, why not release the document?

No because they're not denying something exists. They seem to dispute its effect, i.e. they don't think it is binding on them.

If the residents deny this, and if they are correct to deny this, why not release the document?

Yeah

His quote was

"Times move on"

Not that it's not binding, they are just choosing to ignore it from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,952 ✭✭✭Daith

The agreement between Croke Park and the residents doesn't really matter.

Under the actual planning legislation of Ireland, Croke Park can hold three non-sporting events and can apply for more events under a public event licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Reformed Character

No, A GAA official claimed he was willing to sign an affidavit, not the same thing.
    I have no doubt that Mr Keegan is telling the truth, if that were not the case the GAA and Aiken would have sought injunctive relief and a Judicial Review weeks ago.
    unfortunately, we know from Mr Duffy of the GAA previous actions that honesty, integrity, and his word would not be his strong points.

So you want Keegan to consult with Aiken prior to making any decision (which aren't his in person to make anyway) but when it's shown he has done this you question his integrity?
    Guy can't catch a break...

No, A GAA official claimed he was willing to sign an affidavit, not the same thing.
    I have no doubt that Mr Keegan is telling the truth, if that were not the case the GAA and Aiken would have sought injunctive relief and a Judicial Review weeks ago.
    unfortunately, we know from Mr Duffy of the GAA previous actions that honesty, integrity, and his word would not be his strong points.

Keegan is claiming Pauric Duffy, the Director general of the GAA, is a liar, yet Keegan has not undertaken to submit any affidavit. One thing is for certain, one of them is outright liar, that's the cause of this whole mess.

So you're claiming Duffy is a liar, yet Keegan has not undertaken to submit any affidavit.
    One of them is outright liar, that's the cause of this whole mess.

And if Keegan goes into the meeting tomorrow and says he will swear an Affidavit? I think Keegan is hoping Duffy does do this because i think he has proof somewhere that Duffy is lying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,952 ✭✭✭Daith

Keegan is claining Duffy, the Director general of the GAA, is a liar, yet Keegan has not undertaken to submit any affidavit. One of them is outright liar, that's the cause of this whole mess.

The cause of the mess is the refusal by the promoters, Brooks and Croke Park to accept a planning permission judgment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭dinorebel

I think this thread will end up here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=576

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement