Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

First Up wrote: »
    That is exactly the problem. Knowing that five was a "big ask" (Keegan's words) and knowing the problem was the residents, it was screaming out for DCC to broker a deal in the wider interests of the whole city.

So, the GAA and Aiken are completely off the hook even though they knew that there was issues with the residents and have admitted doing nothing at all about
    those issues? Would it not have been in their own interests to try and broker a deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭sidcon

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Ah, so he should have trampled on local residents' rights because of the cash dollar bottom line?
    What was that about conflict of interest then?

Sorry, but if you don't understand what brokering a deal means, there isn't much I can help you with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Sorry, but if you don't understand what brokering a deal means, there isn't much I can help you with.

A deal was brokered, 3 nights not 5.

Or are you talking about the Let the five nights go ahead and we will fix the licencing issues afterwards" deal that so many thought should have happened?

reprazant wrote: »
    So, the GAA and Aiken are completely off the hook even though they knew that there was issues with the residents and have admitted doing nothing at all about
    those issues? Would it not have been in their own interests to try and broker a deal?

Of course it would. But only DCC knew the five day licence was at serious risk and they were also they only ones who could act a honest broker.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Sorry, but if you are incapable of forming a coherent post perhaps boards.ie isn't for you.

bumper234 wrote: »
    A deal was brokered, 3 nights not 5.

Or are you talking about the Let the five nights go ahead and we will fix the licencing issues afterwards" deal that so many thought should have happened?

A deal means an agreement acceptable to all. The 3 gig licence was patently not that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,767 ✭✭✭hynesie08

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

He personally? He makes all DCC decisions in person?
    No, he delegates roles to competent deputies within the local authority.

I have zero interest in the City Manager getting involved in an application for a licence for a prescribed event.

Nevertheless, the City Manager has chosen to get involved and chosen to say that he was willing to "allow" a fourth night, as is his legal right.

The actions of the City Manager are problematic for reasons outlined by myself and others above.

Sorry, but if you are incapable of forming a coherent post perhaps boards.ie isn't for you.

Oh dear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

How is "We want five", "Can't allow that but you can have three", NOT brokering a deal? Seems DCC are the only ones who wanted to meet halfway.

A deal means an agreement acceptable to all. The 3 gig licence was patently not that.
    It was perfectly acceptable to those who registered their objections, the Gardai and other emergency services who gave their input apparently.
    Only whiners I can make out are C+W fans and people who were lining their pockets.

Oh dear.
    Don't call me dear.

And you have done so. Not your faul or mine that nothing seems to be simple enough to penetrate some heads.
    And there seems to be a fair scatter of people too thick to accept a perfectly legitimate and above board licensing decision.
    That just so happens to rule their night out linedancing or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

conorh91 wrote: »
    But he did succumb to pressure in terms of intervening later with the "fourth night" and matinee nonsense.
    You do know that the "matinee nonsense" was aikens idea?

But Brooks wanted 5 or nothing so that would mean if he got his way the residents wouldn't be happy. There was no way to have an agreement to suit all because Brooks was too stubborn to compromise.

And there seems to be a fair scatter of people too thick to accept a perfectly legitimate and above board licensing decision.
    That just so happens to rule their night out linedancing or whatever.

(Wearily). Don't you get the bit about economic benefit, international profile, reputation, feel-good factor etc? Everyone agrees we need a planning and licencing process. The issue is how to manage that process in a way that works for the benefit of all and not turn into a zero sum confrontation.
    It's called compromise and negotiation. Big words I know and possibly a concept you are unable to grasp.

Cienciano wrote: »
    You do know that the "matinee nonsense" was aikens idea?
    Yes. I criticised Aiken elsewhere.

But (thankfully) Peter Aiken is a punter running a business with no greater restriction on chancing his arm with loony suggestions than any other private citizen.

We are right to expect higher standards from public officials. Keegan's behaviour, lack of common sense, and lack of judgement for a man in whom so much public trust is vested, is unsettling.

(Wearily). Don't you get the bit about economic benefit, international profile, reputation, feel-good factor etc? Everyone agrees we need a planning and licencing process. The issue is how to manage that process in a way that works for the benefit of all and not turn into a zero sum confrontation.
    It's called compromise and negotiation. Big words I know and possibly a concept you are unable to grasp.

What compromise did Brooks/Aiken offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,952 ✭✭✭Daith

We are right to expect higher standards from public officials. Keegan's behaviour, lack of common sense, and lack of judgement for a man in whom so much public trust is vested, is unsettling.

What behavior? He allowed three concerts to go ahead?

It's the Brooks camp who completely won't compromise at all and self serving politicians wanting to ignore planning regulations for money.

• Advertisement

bumper234 wrote: »
    But Brooks wanted 5 or nothing so that would mean if he got his way the residents wouldn't be happy. There was no way to have an agreement to suit all because Brooks was too stubborn to compromise.

(Also wearily) I'm trying to explain that a deal means an agreement acceptable to ALL. That includes the 160,000 who had tickets for the other two concert - AND the residents.

(Also wearily) I'm trying to explain that a deal means an agreement acceptable to ALL. That includes the 160,000 who had tickets for the other two concert - AND the residents.

Such as?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

So what you are saying is that the only compromise should have been to allow all gigs to go ahead?

Daith wrote: »
    What behavior? He allowed three concerts to go ahead?
    His inconsistency. His willingness to "allow" a fourth night. His involvement in the absolutely farcical matinees idea.

As First Up says, Keegan was not willing to get involved at an early stage, which might have been constructive and prevented a lot of unnecessary cost and strife to residents, fans, and those involved in the event. The reason for staying out? He said it wasn't his role to get involved and doing so would be unfair. Yet he immediately turned around and started getting involved in the ridiculous and the bizarre, absolutely getting himself involved when it was too late.

That behaviour.

His inconsistency. His willingness to "allow" a fourth night. His involvement in the absolutely farcical matinees idea..

The matinee idea wasn't his idea......

Why did Aiken offer the matinee idea when Brooks didn't want to play in the day?

Cool.

Tell me how that would be feasable please seeing as Brooks said 5 in a row or nothing.

Daith wrote: »
    The matinee idea wasn't his idea......

Why did Aiken offer the matinee idea when Brooks didn't want to play in the day?

This is getting silly.

i can understand not reading the thread, but at least read the last few posts guys.
    Yes. I criticised Aiken elsewhere.

But (thankfully) Peter Aiken is a punter running a business with no greater restriction on chancing his arm with loony suggestions than any other private citizen.

This is getting silly.

i can understand not reading the thread, but at least read the last few posts guys.

Why would Aiken propose a matinee idea when Brooks was opposed to it?

You haven't come up with a solution that would satisfy the residents and the promoters either

Which you have yet to show there is any issue with.
    Care to present any evidence other than "Garth didn't get his 5 nights"?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

Totally unbelievable that those gobs***e TDs etc on the Dail Tourism sub committee should suggest that the Dublin City Manager resign or be removed for doing his job !! Gombeen politics aided and abetted by the GAA elements in high places.
    As for Mr.Aiken willing to swear an affadavit regarding his earllier discussions with Mr Keegan, its too little too late now, pity he wasn't as meticulous when applying for the licenses in the first place ! Trying to save his own ass now and the TDs in the Dail Committee just seeking to make some political capital out of calling for heads to roll etc ..they never miss a chance ! And to think that we vote these chancers into office !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement