Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

First Up wrote: »
    (Also wearily) I'm trying to explain that a deal means an agreement acceptable to ALL. That includes the 160,000 who had tickets for the other two concert - AND the residents.
    Why should DCC reach any compromise with an events organiser who didn't receive a license? If I sell a million tickets for a live open air sex show on Dame Street but I don't get a license, do DCC have to "compromise" with me and the punters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Reformed Character

So let me get this right, you're now claiming that the Oireachtas committee is unfair

That is patently obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

Daith wrote: »
    Why would Aiken propose a matinee idea when Brooks was opposed to it?
    Because he's an idiot. Because he wanted to bring Brooks along. i have no idea. I don't care about Garth Brooks or peter Aiken or culchies in pink stetsons.

I care about the quality of person that this city has recruited as City Manager, someone who could hardly have tried harder to alienate and perplex the entire city in his bizarre, inconsistent decisions.
    You haven't come up with a solution that would satisfy the residents and the promoters either
    If the City Manager had rejected the application in full I wouldn't particularly care.

I do care when he refuses to get involved in dialogue or to mediate because he doesn't want to, only then to appear to engage in a vastly strange series of negotiations which are unhelpful to everybody.

That is patently obvious.
    TBH, who gives two fliuchs what the Oireachtas says about anything? It's always been a lame whinging shop, not just on this case.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

(Wearily)
    It's called compromise and negotiation. Big words I know and possibly a concept you are unable to grasp.

For me it's 5 shows or none. ;)

respect, gratitude.....etc. $$$$$$$$$$$$$

• Advertisement

conorh91 wrote: »
    I care about the quality of person that this city has recruited as City Manager, someone who could hardly have tried harder to alienate and perplex the entire city in his bizarre, inconsistent decisions.
    Hmmm, yet funnily 99% of the people moaning about him have just had their C+W gig canned... everybody else is "meh" on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Daith wrote: »
    Why would Aiken propose a matinee idea when Brooks was opposed to it?
    Because he's a money hungry chancer.

By throwing out the farcial matinee idea he might have got his money, regardless of what it meant to the fans, garth or the locals.

Seems he was trying to pull the same stunt on Garth that he tried to pull on the authorities, build up peoples hope for gigs to go ahead in the hope that he does not look like the bad one when its pulled.

Its not exactly the first crazy idea he came up with which was 100% gauranteed to be opposed even before it was suggested. He knew fine well the locals would object to any more gigs at all this year, let alone 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Just got a message from someone in the industry saying these gigs are going ahead.

I really hope he is taking the piss outta me, I was looking forward to my refund!

For me it's 5 shows or none. ;)

respect, gratitude.....etc. $$$$$$$$$$$$$
    Don't forget the crying dead mother. How could you Keegan. A dead person is crying now because of you and your damned "rules".

rubadub wrote: »
    Because he's a money hungry chancer.

By throwing out the farcial matinee idea he might have got his money, regardless of what it meant to the fans, garth or the locals.

Seems he was trying to pull the same stunt on Garth that he tried to pull on the authorities, build up peoples hope for gigs to go ahead in the hope that he does not look like the bad one when its pulled.

Its not exactly the first crazy idea he came up with which was 100% gauranteed to be opposed even before it was suggested. He knew fine well the locals would object to any more gigs at all this year, let alone 5.
    This is all true.

The question that nobody seems to be concerned about, is why were the local authority willing to be hauled into this nonsense?

This isn't about Garth Brooks. Forget Garth Brooks.

This is a question about the quality of decision-mkaing that goes on in DCC. That is something we need all be concerned about, if we live in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

This is a question about the quality of decision-mkaing that goes on in DCC. That is something we need all be concerned about, if we live in Dublin.
    What other decisions do you have concerns about?

This is all true.

The question that nobody seems to be concerned about, is why were the local authority willing to be hauled into this nonsense?

This isn't about Garth Brooks. Forget Garth Brooks.

It seems to me like DCC tried far too hard to reach a deal with Aiken/Brooks.
    Which is now being whined about as either too little/too much discussion prior to the decision depending on who you ask.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Don't forget the crying dead mother. How could you Keegan. A dead person is crying now because of you and your damned "rules".

Hadn't heard that but I did hear people crying on liveline because the couldn't get tickets first time round.

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    What other decisions do you have concerns about?
    Allocations of capital funding and housing. Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

bumper234 wrote: »
    Cool.

Tell me how that would be feasable please seeing as Brooks said 5 in a row or nothing.

Read this slowly....
    A deal acceptable to all means a deal that enabled all tickets to be used, with the blessing of the residents. I don't know what such a deal would have looked like and I don't know if such a deal was possible. But it could and should have been tried.
    The word on the street is that there were some very dubious motives behind some of the objections -as well as the forgeries. A handball alley has been mentioned.... I'm sure it will come out.
    Too late now. DCC ineptitude took it's toll and a lot of people are out of pocket.

Allocations of capital funding and housing. Why?
    You told me I need to be concerned. I'm not concerned about the GB issue. I want to know what else should worry me.

What poor decisions have they made about capital funding and housing?

I'm also curious as to whether you have any concerns about the quality of decision making of the Oireachtas committee.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Read this slowly....
    A deal acceptable to all means a deal that enabled all tickets to be used, with the blessing of the residents. I don't know what such a deal would have looked like and I don't know if such a deal was possible. But it could and should have been tried.
    The word on the street is that there were some very dubious motives behind some of the objections -as well as the forgeries. A handball alley has been mentioned.... I'm sure it will come out.
    Too late now. DCC ineptitude took it's toll and a lot of people are out of pocket.

The word on the street? The handball alley is very well known, if you google it, I'm sure you'll find numerous articles about it.

You told me I need to be concerned. I'm not concerned about the GB issue. I want to know what else should worry me.

What poor decisions have they made about capital funding and housing?
    I'm not interested in having a chat with you here. Find a friend and go for coffee. Topics you might find yourself concerned about that come within the ambit of the DCC in relation to housing might be something like the homeless situation and the slowness of DCC to re-open bedsits before another Winter comes upon the growing homeless population. Otherwise you might be concerned about issues like repairing and upgrading cycle lanes around the city at a time when car usage is being discouraged. I don't care. Read a local newspaper.

muddypaws wrote: »
    The word on the street? The handball alley is very well known, if you google it, I'm sure you'll find numerous articles about it.

About it being moved?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

About it being moved?

Yes, about the whole thing, and the bar etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Read this slowly....
    A deal acceptable to all means a deal that enabled all tickets to be used, with the blessing of the residents.

There is no way in hell that I'd have ever given my blessing to a deal that involved five concerts going ahead on five consecutive nights. At most all you would get is resentful tolerance and disgust if they went ahead. A blessing is not how I would describe that.

Any deal that involved the concerts not going ahead on consecutive nights but split in some respect appears to have been unacceptable to Brooks.

I have no idea what you think is possible but if you think any solution was possible where everyone was shiny happy about the outcome, you're deluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭dinorebel

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Just got a message from someone in the industry saying these gigs are going ahead.

I really hope he is taking the piss outta me, I was looking forward to my refund!
    Not a chance deader than a Dodo at this stage.

I'm not interested in having a chat with you here. Find a friend and go for coffee. Topics you might find yourself concerned about that come within the ambit of the DCC in relation to housing might be something like the homeless situation and the slowness of DCC to re-open bedsits before another Winter comes upon the growing homeless population. Otherwise you might be concerned about issues like repairing and upgrading cycle lanes around the city at a time when car usage is being discouraged. I don't care. Read a local newspaper.
    Yet you say Owen Keegan should have dropped the important issues and sorted out getting a country music concert.

Calina wrote: »
    There is no way in hell that I'd have ever given my blessing to a deal that involved five concerts going ahead on five consecutive nights. At most all you would get is resentful tolerance and disgust if they went ahead. A blessing is not how I would describe that.

Any deal that involved the concerts not going ahead on consecutive nights but split in some respect appears to have been unacceptable to Brooks.

I have no idea what you think is possible but if you think any solution was possible where everyone was shiny happy about the outcome, you're deluded.

Not you then, but how about a large majority, with the forgeries and hidden agendas exposed? Or do you have a veto?

Yet you say Owen Keegan should have dropped the important issues and sorted out getting a country music concert.

And the economic benefits that came with it.

Totally unbelievable that those gobs***e TDs etc on the Dail Tourism sub committee should suggest that the Dublin City Manager resign or be removed for doing his job !! Gombeen politics aided and abetted by the GAA elements in high places.
    As for Mr.Aiken willing to swear an affadavit regarding his earllier discussions with Mr Keegan, its too little too late now, pity he wasn't as meticulous when applying for the licenses in the first place ! Trying to save his own ass now and the TDs in the Dail Committee just seeking to make some political capital out of calling for heads to roll etc ..they never miss a chance ! And to think that we vote these chancers into office !

Oh I dunno. I think if my actions (or inactions) cost my business (Dublin in this case) a good few million, I would expect a hard time over it.

Read this slowly....
    Read this slowly....
    No such arrangement has been put forward by anybody, including you, so you can stop whining about the legitimate decision the DCC made in the absence of anybody on earth seeming to be able to come up with this imaginary "compromise" that kept everybody happy.

No I don't.

Read the thread.

Owen Keegan got involved and said he personally would "allow" a fourth concert as well as DCC getting into this matinee nonsense.

I'd rather if Owen Keegan (a) stayed out or (b) contributed constructively, ideally earlier in the process.

This is without reference to the event licensing application, be it accepted or refused.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Not you then, but how about a large majority, with the forgeries and hidden agendas exposed? Or do you have a veto?

You wanted a deal acceptable to all but only if it involved all five concerts being played. Not a deal which was acceptable to "a large majority". You don't want a compromise because a compromise is what Keegan produced.

• Advertisement

Oh I dunno. I think if my actions (or inactions) cost my business (Dublin in this case) a good few million, I would expect a hard time over it.
    So it's cash over residents' rights again. I for one am delighted DCC don't agree with you on that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement