Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

MidlandsM wrote: »
    I might get a ban over this but here goes;

Was there not enough brown envelopes thrown at this ??

You mean blastings of **** thrown at it:pac::pac::pac:
    .by yor Father's Mother-in-Law's Daughter which married your Father

• Registered Users Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Fair play to the Moran and Bewley Hotel group in the refunding of hotel rooms that people booked and payed for and were under no obligation under their terms and conditions to do so.

Playing the long game there - creating a bit of goodwill (and hopefully future business), at the sacrifice of the revenues for rooms that they can still try and re-sell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I wish that was true. But nope - we're going to have to listen to people twattling on about this until well into next week I bet.

You can choose not to read this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Yes this is getting a bit over hyped..

anyway..

what about Roy Keane in Japan eh!

blackwhite wrote: »
    Playing the long game there - creating a bit of goodwill (and hopefully future business), at the sacrifice of the revenues for rooms that they can still try and re-sell.

They could have had threw their toys out of the pram too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

You can choose not to read this thread.

And where did you see me give out about this thread?

I'm talking about the media, how this is still one of the news stories on TV and radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

Cienciano wrote: »
    If Brooks had any degree of affection for his irish fans he would have played 4 nights he was allowed to.

If he played the four nights, no doubt you'd be on here saying something akin to:

'If Brooks thought anything about his fans he would have held out for the fifth night, but the greedy begger snapped up the cash for the four nights and left 80,000 of his fans out in the cold, who's only crime was that they had bought tickets for the last night and not one of the first four. Shows his true colours'.

And where did you see me give out about this thread?

I'm talking about the media, how this is still one of the news stories on TV and radio.

I took you up wrong, my bad im sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,031 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Well the touts and anyone else who sold on their tckets purchased online are gonna make a killing with automatic refunds going to their accounts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Well the touts and anyone else who sold on their tckets purchased online are gonna make a killing with automatic refunds going to their accounts.

When I heard the two nights were cancelled I looked at tickets for the Friday night. Could have got them. Thank god I didn't.

Looking at it, it does look like the majority of residents would have accepted a compromise. And yes I do want to call the person who took the injunction all sorts of names - but it's a free country and the court agreed with him.

As it is Croke Park are going to have to do something about those do vehemently opposed to the use of CrokePark (not in a Mafia way or anything). And throwing money at the situation doesn't seem to be working...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Steam Roller

If people bought of a tout but the ticket was paid for in cash. The word cash is on the ticket. Does that mean, would you get a refund at a ticketmaster outlet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭bobrawn20

If people bought of a tout but the ticket was paid for in cash. The word cash is on the ticket. Does that mean, would you get a refund at a ticketmaster outlet.

I think you should. There's no way to refund it otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I took you up wrong, my bad im sorry.

ANGRY ANONOBOY TAKE NO APOLOGIES!!!!!

Oh wait. No, you're grand.

I'm just grumpy today.

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

muddypaws wrote: »
    Not sure if this has been posted up yet, it is funny, I know the scene gets used over and over again, but the writing is funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgyHQ5125_s

That video is gas, the writing is excellent.

Cienciano wrote: »
    If Brooks had any degree of affection for his irish fans he would have played 4 nights he was allowed to. But he seems to put things in this order or priority:
    1. Throwing toys out of the pram
    2. Irish fans

You know what I get the funny feeling that this is a matter of ego, attitude and outlook. I reckon had Bruce Springsteen found himself in the same situation he would have just said well feck it I'll play the three in Croker and let's slap the stage on a truck and play another two down in Cork, hell I'll even play in Limerick and Galway too if they want it. Brooks on the other hand threw his toys out of the pram. He could have had 4 shows but that wasn't good enough for him. There was always a workable solution available to Garth Brooks, he was just too stubborn and egotistical to open up and embrace it. Others would have but he chose not to.
    Fair play to the Moran and Bewley Hotel group in the refunding of hotel rooms that people booked and payed for and were under no obligation under their terms and conditions to do so.

My worry would be for the thousands of people who paid upfront to smaller hotels and b&bs in Dublin. Many of these places might have strict 100% no refund policies for 'Special Events' where they get to deem what's special or not. I've a sick feeling that a lot of people are going to be left high and dry by members of the hospitality industry. The IHF will remain mute on how their members won't refund customers and the media won't bother asking tough questions.
    I wish that was true. But nope - we're going to have to listen to people twattling on about this until well into next week I bet.

I'd say the legal cases will still be ongoing throughout 2016. There's at least two Christmas turkeys worth in this sorry saga

• Registered Users Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

If he played the four nights, no doubt you'd be on here saying something akin to:

'If Brooks thought anything about his fans he would have held out for the fifth night, but the greedy begger snapped up the cash for the four nights and left 80,000 of his fans out in the cold, who's only crime was that they had bought tickets for the last night and not one of the first four. Shows his true colours'.
    No I wouldn't.
    Do you attach any blame for Garth Brooks for this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

MidlandsM wrote: »
    I might get a ban over this but here goes;

Was there not enough brown envelopes thrown at this ??

I don't think any amount of brown envelopes would buy Owen Keegan! The man's a bollix.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

nicowa wrote: »

Looking at it, it does look like the majority of residents would have accepted a compromise. And yes I do want to call the person who took the injunction all sorts of names - but it's a free country and the court agreed with him.

As it is Croke Park are going to have to do something about those do vehemently opposed to the use of CrokePark (not in a Mafia way or anything). And throwing money at the situation doesn't seem to be working...

I'm sorry, what? The concerts weren't cancelled because of an injunction, the court haven't even heard it, as Brooks and Aiken cancelled before it got that far. Just in case you missed it, the 3 licensed concerts were cancelled by Brooks.

How much money have they thrown at the situation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭DulchieLaois

Listened to Newstalk on the way home last night that there were riots all over the country. There was nothing like this when universal social charge, property tax and water charges were introduced 

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I don't think any amount of brown envelopes would buy Owen Keegan! The man's a bollix.

Complete bollix. An Irishman who goes by the rules and won't be bought, we're fecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

:eek: Our public officials are not corrupt enough! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Only Brazil know how to fcuk up more than us. :pac:

The Rolling Stone has an article on the Brooks saga.
    Brooks likened his stance of "five or none" to choosing between children

Yeah Garth, it's a regular Sophies Choice. :)

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/garth-brooks-five-ireland-shows-canceled-20140708

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Phoebas wrote: »
    :eek: Our public officials are not corrupt enough! :mad:

I'm not claiming it's a bad thing.

He's a bollix.

The upside is he won't be bought.

He's still a bollix.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

TL;DR - don't be a dick

While the intention is commendable, the innocent naivety of this comment reminds me a bit of Comical Ali's "we have them right where we want them, the infidels will perish" rants during the final seige of Baghdad back in 2003 :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Steam Roller

You would just need to find out which ticketmaster outlet the tout used.

Do you have to have the receipt also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I'd say the legal cases will still be ongoing throughout 2016. There's at least two Christmas turkeys worth in this sorry saga

You may be right but the only person in a position to sue is Aiken, as he could claim loss of earnings but I don't see that happening as they seem to have been friends since '97 but you never know. Aiken wasn't insured though, as you need a licence to get event insurance, apparently.

MCD sued Prince though, when he pulled out of his Croke Park concert:
    Prince sued for €1.6m after pulling out of Croke Park gig

IRISH music fans didn't get to hear Prince play live this year, and he hasn't heard the end of it.

The diminutive singer is being sued for €1.6m after he pulled out of a concert at Croke Park in June at short notice.

Promoter MCD is bringing the case against the 'Purple Rain' singer, claiming financial loss and damage to its reputation after the gig was called off.

Prince has never given a reason for the cancellation, which left 55,000 fans disappointed.

Yesterday at the High Court, David O'Donohoe, a solicitor for MCD, said in an affidavit that Prince agreed in February to perform at Croke Park for a fee of $3m (e2.2m). However, it was also confirmed that there was no written contract. Half the fee was paid into the account of the singer's agent, Tony Goldring. Mr Goldring, who is based with the William Morris Agency in Beverly Hills, sent an "unambiguous email" on February 28, confirming the agreement with MCD.

But the same agent informed MCD on June 6, that Prince wished to cancel. The concert was due to take place on June 16.

Mr O'Donohoe said yesterday that despite MCD's best efforts to persuade the artist to play, Prince refused to do so. No reason was ever given for the cancellation, he added.

In court yesterday, MCD said that although promoters have insurance against cancellation, that insurance is only valid in specific unforeseeable circumstances. MCD, which is headed by businessman Denis Desmond, claims the cost of the cancellation amounted to €1,664,945, adding that they incurred substantial promotion costs, and that all the tickets were refunded.

MCD confirmed there was no written contract with Prince but their legal team argued that the email correspondence between Mr Desmond and Mr Goldring makes it "abundantly clear" that a finished contract was entered into.

MCD yesterday applied for orders from the High Court that would allow them to formally serve the proceedings on Prince, and that will limit the time in which he can enter an appearance. Mr Justice Michael Peart granted the orders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Yeah my fear would be that a lot of people used sites like hotels.com , they're handy for comparing prices and locations. But they're a re-seller of hotel rooms and the T&Cs can leave you in a right mess in the event of cancellation. Personally I'd never prepay 100% of my hotel costs but many people do not thinking that best laid plans might get disrupted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement