Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Hmmmm, sits back in leather chair, stroking a white fluffy cat and the cat purrrs contentedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

bumper234 wrote: »
    People power wins out.
    it didn't here, more wanted the concerts to go ahead then didn't

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,767 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Then they should have done something before the licenses were refused.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

I actually emailed the chairman this morning and expressed my view that the previous 2 sessions were unbalanced and biased. I also used the analogy of the developer building the houses , selling them and subsequently applying for planning permission, as i had previously used in here. I also questioned the idea of politicians interfering in planning and where that has left us from previous experience.Chuffed that these it was mentioned. I also noticed when the chairman addressed Mr Keegan, the next guy leaned to him and the chairman subsequently referred to him as Owen ..........

up the boardsies

Secman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

The little man won out over corporate greed :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Fired for lying in Ireland.. doubt that

Do you dispute that he told a blatant lie by stating that he gave 'no indication' that he or the council would be supportive of the staging of five concerts?

It vindicates what Aiken and your man from Croke Park claimed before though. When people here had been accusing them of lying on the matter.
    It doesn't matter a ****e what he was supportive of PRIOR to consulting with other interested parties. If residents or Gardai or HSE say no way, DCC are obliged to take this on board. Which they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

Do you dispute that he told a blatant lie by stating that he gave 'no indication' that he or the council would be supportive of the staging of five concerts?
    He never said that on Tuesday. He said that he never gave an indication of licensing 5.
    I think he was mischievous by not saying it on Tuesday, but I wouldn't classify it as a "blatant lie"

Now Aiken saying that on Feb 12 he was lead to believe that there would be licences granted with conditions and this turning out to be a completely different event could be called a blatant lie. I'd call it Aiken not getting his facts right.

no, those who have issues with the GAA in general won out over the huge amount of people who supported or were going to the concerts, no greed at all on anyone apart from those using the concerts to get at the GAA

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

secman wrote: »
    I actually emailed the chairman this morning and expressed my view that the previous 2 sessions were unbalanced and biased. I also used the analogy of the developer building the houses , selling them and subsequently applying for planning permission, as i had previously used in here. I also questioned the idea of politicians interfering in planning and where that has left us from previous experience.Chuffed that these it was mentioned. I also noticed when the chairman addressed Mr Keegan, the next guy leaned to him and the chairman subsequently referred to him as Owen ..........

up the boardsies

Secman

Go Secman, a special Boards award should be given ;)

I do wonder if someone in authority has spoken with the Chairman, he does actually seem to be chairing this meeting today, rather than letting it run without proper agenda as the other two did.

A bit farcical though that a TD is saying how there should be an appeal procedure etc, as if its DCC that have brought that about, when it would actually be them that would make that law surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,982 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

the little man lost out on going to a gig

• Advertisement

no, those who have issues with the GAA in general won out over the huge amount of people who supported or were going to the concerts, no greed at all on anyone apart from those using the concerts to get at the GAA

Tell us again how you guarantee that all 5 concerts will be going ahead?

What is Mattie McGrath rabbiting on about?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Hope this doesn't come to a punch up between the chairman and the committee member

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    What is Mattie McGrath rabbiting on about?

I don't know, but I wonder why these TDs can't seem to actually articulate themselves properly, I would have thought that if you were going to run for public office, that would be a pre-requisite? Its not like this on the West Wing.

They have allowed Big Tom to ask questions now

muddypaws wrote: »
    I don't know, but I wonder why these TDs can't seem to actually articulate themselves properly, I would have thought that if you were going to run for public office, that would be a pre-requisite? Its not like this on the West Wing.

Could only understand 20% of the "words" he was spouting, could have been worse i suppose, There could be a Healy Rae in there :eek:

They have allowed Big Tom to ask questions now

:pac:

Tell us again how you guarantee that all 5 concerts will be going ahead?
    i didn't know they were i thought they were canceled? now i did say i would be surprised if they didn't go ahead, not that they definitely would, i also said i saw no problem or reason for them not to go ahead

i didn't know they were i thought they were canceled? now i did say i would be surprised if they didn't go ahead, not that they definitely would, i also said i saw no problem or reason for them not to go ahead

Good for you :rolleyes:

now i did say i would be surprised if they didn't go ahead, not that they definitely would,
    the concerts will still go ahead

Just to refresh your memory

Oh yes they will

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

I also questioned the idea of politicians interfering in planning and where that has left us from previous experience.

I can never understand why people sometimes appear to believe that unelected decision makers are immune from bad decision making, or corruption, relative to elected members of a local authority.

I can also never understand why people sometimes appear to believe that elected members of the local authorities have nothing to do with planning and development. This is not the case, and indeed sometimes elected members' input appears to be constitutionally required.

Everyone remembers the elected politicians who were involved in corruption and bad decision making. Do people remember the name George Redmond?

FFS. If Keegan had told McKenna no, you won't get licences for these concerts, imagine the outcry.

Keegan has answered the question I think, and I can completely understand why he would say he would be supportive. It actually shows that the law has been enforced here, even if Keegan wanted the 5 concerts, the planning process said no, so he cannot corrupt the system.

muddypaws wrote: »
    FFS. If Keegan had told McKenna no, you won't get licences for these concerts, imagine the outcry.
    The responsible thing would simply be to say 'I can't possibly give you an answer yet".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Owen Keegan was lying today. He was doing so much head scratching, forhead scratching, nose rubbing, picking at lips,. Thats what liars do.

conorh91 wrote: »
    I can never understand why people sometimes appear to believe that unelected decision makers are immune from bad decision making, or corruption, relative to elected members of a local authority.

I can also never understand why people sometimes appear to believe that elected members of the local authorities have nothing to do with planning and development. This is not the case, and indeed sometimes elected members' input appears to be constitutionally required.

Everyone remembers the elected politicians who were involved in corruption and bad decision making. Do people remember the name George Redmond?

Lesser of the 2 evils scenario I suspect.

Secman

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Owen Keegan was lying today. He was doing so much head scratching, forward scratching, nose rubbing, picking at lips,. Thats what liars do.
    So you can't find anything he actually said that was a lie but the phase of the moon or some feeling in your gammy leg proves he's a liar.
    Awesome dude, just awesome.

Owen Keegan was lying today. He was doing so much head scratching, forward scratching, nose rubbing, picking at lips,. Thats what liars do.

Is that why Aiken is almost bald :D

What the hell is "forward scratching". Not an expression I have heard

Lesser of the 2 evils scenario I suspect.

Secman
    I don't see any logical reason for that suspicion. There is nothing inherent in being an elected person that makes you more likely to be corrupt than being a non-elected person, wielding the same authority.

We have had vast experience, in this country, of corruption and weak decision making among unelected decision makers and elected decision makers alike.

• Advertisement

conorh91 wrote: »
    The responsible thing would simply be to say 'I can't possibly give you an answer yet".

Yeah, you're probably right.
    What the hell is "forward scratching". Not an expression I have heard

Its when you plan on scratching in the future, if you get the licences in order.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement