Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

Not sure why people want the thread to be locked and / or are whinging about people posting in it. You don't have to read it. I'm sure the Gaza thread, Jimmy Saville thread etc will run and run and so if people still which to discuss those news items, months after they have fallen off the front pages of the rags, then why not this one.

And before someone says that Gaza is ongoing and people are dying.. since when did the amount of death and misery in a story become a barometer for whether or not people should or should not still be discussing it.

Council decisions were made which resulted in 7% of the population missing out on an event which they were due to attend. We're only beginning to unearth (just this very day) why it is that that happened and what precisely it was that informed that decision and people want the thread locked?

Why people can't just post in threads they want to post in and ignore the ones which they don't care for, I'll never know. Not saying I don't understand that many of the cries suggesting lack of interest are highly disingenuous mind, just giving the benefit of the doubt is all ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

Planning matters my arse. It's a load of angry line dancers still foaming at the mouth because their diety got told to do one.
    I'm not interested in Garth Brooks, I'm interested in planning and environmental regulations as my post history will show.

The topic is generating substantial traffic on this website, it seems, and is featuring on the main news sites. Seriously, stop reading if you don't want to read. I'm sure you don't read every bulletin topic you see on this website that you don't care about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Not sure why people want the thread to be locked and / or are whinging about people posting in it. You don't have to read it. I'm sure the Gaza thread, Jimmy Saville thread etc will run and run and so if people still which to discuss those news items, months after they have fallen off the front pages of the rags, then why not this one.

And before someone says that Gaza is ongoing and people are dying.. since when did the amount of death and misery in a story become a barometer for whether or not people should or should not still be discussing it.

Council decisions were made which resulted in THE EQUIVALENT OF 7% of the population missing out on an event which they were due to attend. We're only beginning to unearth (just this very day) why it is that that happened and what precisely it was that informed that decision and people want the thread locked?

Why people can't just post in threads they want to post in and ignore the ones which they don't care for, I'll never know. Not saying I don't understand that many of the cries suggesting lack of interest are highly disingenuous mind, just giving the benefit of the doubt is all ;)

FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Been out all day. Which part of the circle are at now folks?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Reformed Character

Council decisions were made which resulted in 7% of the population missing out on an event which they were due to attend. We're only beginning to unearth (just this very day) why it is that that happened and what precisely it was that informed that decision and people want the thread locked?

You have consistently claimed that 70,000 were coming from abroad, and we know that many people had bought tickets for multiple shows, so how , in light of those facts, come up with the figure of 7% of the population are missing out on this series of events?:confused::confused:

Planning matters my arse. It's a load of angry line dancers still foaming at the mouth because their diety got told to do one.

Garth's not coming, get over it...

If anyone's foaming at the mouth here it's the anti-concert, pro resident posters that are keeping this thread going and so active (it's been broken out in a graph at least twice on the thread who the top posters are), the ratio is about 10 : 1 here, with all 10 anti-concert people repeating each other and thanking each other constantly.

That's what's keeping the issue alive, on boards at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Why people can't just post in threads they want to post in and ignore the ones which they don't care for, I'll never know. Not saying I don't understand that many of the cries

suggesting lack of interest are highly disingenuous mind, just giving the benefit of the doubt is all ;)

Reading back on this there seems to be three groups of posters. I'm in the relatively small group apppalled at how a process that was flawed at the best of times has been turned into a massive lost opportunity through bungling ineptitude (and probably some mischief), a second group that seems to dislike Garth Brooks and a third group that seems awfully anxious to deflect any blame away from Keegan and DCC.
    The motivation for groups one and two is pretty transparent. That of the third group much less so.

When is the Garth Brooks thread beers meet-up lads?

Hardluckwoman can throw it in her house, invite Keegan and Obama and everything. Water under the bridge now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

nm wrote: »
    When is the Garth Brooks thread meet-up lads?
    subject to licence.

• Advertisement

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    I thought John O'Mahoney was quite balanced in his conclusions.
    He said we need an official pre sale meeting.
    He also said there is a discrepancy between Keegan and the GAA's evidence, particularly Peter McKenna and nobody knows who is right.
    He says that Croke Park have a lot to do in their relationship with the residents, but it would be helpful if there was only one residents association.

Quit balanced - fair play to him.

Missed this, is it online?

conorh91 wrote: »
    subject to licence.

Where do I lodge my (and few other) objections?

When is the Garth Brooks thread beers meet-up lads?

Hardluckwoman can throw it in her house, invite Keegan and Obama and everything. Water under the bridge now.

That's actually not a bad idea for the next AH beers, you could be on to something there.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Another thing that struck me today was that Keegan mentioned that anyone is able to file an objection to such a planning application. They don't have to be from people in the immediate or even wider vicinity of Croke Park.. they don't even have to be from Dublin =/

This doesn't make much sense to me. It opens up the possibility that people will object based on their own prejudices, dislike of certain groups etc. Even if they lodge what seem like legitimate objections, they may well have ulterior motives for doing so.

If the fact that someone in Galway can lodge an objection to a gig happening in Dublin isn't a sign of a flawed process then I don't know what is. So much needs to be looked at and fixed.

Another thing that struck me today was that Keegan mentioned that anyone is able to file an objection to such a planning application. They don't have to be from people in the immediate or even wider vicinity of Croke Park.. they don't even have to be from Dublin =/

This doesn't make much sense to me. It opens up the possibility that people will object based on their own prejudices, dislike of certain groups etc. Even if they lodge what seem like legitimate objections, they may well have ulterior motives for doing so.

If the fact that someone in Galway can lodge an objection to a gig happening in Dublin isn't a sign of a flawed process then I don't know what is. So much needs to be looked at and fixed.

Your geography shouldn't ban you from being able to object to something. What if gov decided to build a nuclear power station in the most remote least inhabited part of the land? Should it only be locals who could object?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

Missed this, is it online?
    Here, I think
    Warning - look out for Timmy Dooley about to break out in tears and all other politicians making less sense than all of us on here.

For me O'Mahoney and Keoghan came out best. Keoghan in particular considering the crap thrown at him about his impartiality

bumper234 wrote: »
    Your geography shouldn't ban you from being able to object to something. What if gov decided to build a nuclear power station in the most remote least inhabited part of the land? Should it only be locals who could object?

We're talking about concerts, not nuclear power stations ffs!

They don't even fall under the same planning laws.

We're talking about concerts, not nuclear power stations ffs!

They don't even fall under the same planning laws.

But still planning laws, what should be the limit for objections to concerts? 500 meters? A mile? 5 miles?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

Someone in Galway who notices that a proposed gig is likely to cause hassle to people in Dublin should be entitled to make that observation. Their thoughts on the performer of the gig are irrelevant - if their concern is legitimate it will be taken into account.

If there is a plan to build a golf course on an environmentally sensitive, beautiful piece of coastline with rights of way in co. Donegal, may I not object to that as I live much further south? I would be objecting on principle, rather than on local interest; someone local might object because they want to buy the land themselves - should their ulterior motives be investigated?

• Advertisement

But still planning laws, what should be the limit for objections to concerts? 500 meters? A mile? 5 miles?

At least limit it to people that actually reside within the catchment area of whatever council is overseeing the planning process.

C'mon bumper.. it's absurd that someone who may never even have visited Dublin can object to a concert happening there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

You're comparing this nonsense to what's happening in Gaza and what happened with Jimmy Saville???
    Innocent people getting blown up and people being sexually abused versus some cancelled concerts?
    Would you be so concerned if you weren't planning on going to see Garth yourself? I doubt it.

At least limit it to people that actually reside within the catchment area of whatever council is overseeing the planning process.

C'mon bumper.. it's absurd that someone who may never even have visited Dublin can object to a concert happening there.

If someone wants to knock down Georgian houses in Dublin should someone from Cork not be allowed to object? Personally couldn't give a **** about Georgian houses so.if noone from within the area objects then it will be ok to demolish them?

Muise... wrote: »
    If there is a plan to build a golf course on an environmentally sensitive, beautiful piece of coastline with rights of way in co. Donegal, may I not object to that as I live much further south?

Like nuclear reactors, that is a completely different kettle of fish. I mean it shouldn't need spelling out.. one's a concert that is likely to effect a small area for a short period of time.. the other is an irreversible change to the ecological systems that effects the country as a whole =/
    If someone wants to knock down Georgian houses in Dublin should someone from Cork not be allowed to object? Personally couldn't give a **** about Georgian houses so.if noone from within the area objects then it will be ok to demolish them?

Keep trying..

Those houses could be said to be of national importance to our shared history and heritage.

A few people having their roads blocked off to traffic for a couple of days isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

conorh91 wrote: »
    I'm not interested in Garth Brooks, I'm interested in planning and environmental regulations as my post history will show.

The topic is generating substantial traffic on this website, it seems, and is featuring on the main news sites. Seriously, stop reading if you don't want to read. I'm sure you don't read every bulletin topic you see on this website that you don't care about.

If you're so interested in planning and environmental regulations then by all means start a thread about it in the appropriate forum.
    Nothing against you personally, I'm just sick and tired of seeing GB's name popping up in AH's.
    More people don't want to know about this than do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

Like nuclear reactors, that is a completely different kettle of fish. I mean it shouldn't need spelling out.. one's a concert that is likely to effect a small area for a short period of time.. the other is an irreversible change to the ecological systems that effects the country as a whole =/

Maybe you might look at the principle rather than getting bogged down in the detail of analogies?

It's not people's location or ulterior motives that are taken into account during the planning process; it's the validity of their concerns. A martian Nazi might raise a valid point about a concert in Dublin by citing the relevant regulations and showing how they will be broken. And nobody would care about his little green swastika because he'd have a point.

So someone from Drogheda/ Balbriggan/Dundalk etc... who will suffer a two hour a day delay each evening on their commute home on the bus from work should not be allowed object?:confused:

Keep trying..

Those houses could be said to be of national importance to our shared history and heritage.

A few people having their roads blocked off to traffic for a couple of days isn't.

You obviously have no clue as to how far out the traffic disruption would have got on the Monday/Tuesday....it would have affected 10's if not hundreds of thousands of people.

• Advertisement

And you think that's a sign of an efficient, functioning and modern planning process? Jesus wept
    Muise... wrote: »
    Maybe you might look at the principle rather than getting bogged down in the detail of analogies?

It's not people's location or ulterior motives that are taken into account during the planning process; it's the validity of their concerns. A martian Nazi might raise a valid point about a concert in Dublin by citing the relevant regulations and showing how they will be broken. And nobody would care about his little green swastika because he'd have a point.

You're the one that brought analogies into it :confused:

As for your second paragraph, well talk about hyperbole

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement