Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

Three cheers for Caitlin McBride. "Can we please stop talking about Garth Brooks now":

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/caitlin-mcbride-can-we-please-stop-talking-about-garth-brooks-now-30418817.html

WilyCoyote wrote: »
    Three cheers for Caitlin McBride. "Can we please stop talking about Garth Brooks now":

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/caitlin-mcbride-can-we-please-stop-talking-about-garth-brooks-now-30418817.html

Yet the front page of the website she writes for is dominated by stories on Brooks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭tigger123

Red Nissan wrote: »
    Garth made the decision himself. Hes has many interviews answering that question.

Has he given any answer outside of the 'Sophie's Choice' defence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

ankaragucu wrote: »
    I still dont know WHY the 3 concerts that were granted licences are not going ahead?
    Aiken, GAA and DCC all showed either greed, ineptitude or both.But why arent people asking GARTH BROOKS why he is not playing 3 concerts for which 240,000 tickets have been sold???
    No one has given a straight answer to this.
    His 5 concerts or none at all threat doesnt wash.Is he insisting on playing 5 shows or non at all in all the cities on his world tour.
    The whole thing has been a croc of sh1te.

He reckons he wouldn't make money only doing three. Apparently when the 5 was planned, they put the profit for the first three concerts into lights, sound, cameras etc to make it 'extra special'. That's the line he's going with anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

They should have had Brooks sign on the original agreed 3 before bringing up the prospect of a further 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭h2005

Nobody comes out of this looking well but Brooks really comes across as a petulant prick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    They should have had Brooks sign on the original agreed 3 before bringing up the prospect of a further 2.

You would imagine that they did this, but it was all subject to licence, so maybe he just back out before they were fully granted.

Its a mad set-up, but to be fair, I used to work in Drumcondra and anytime after a gig or a match the place looked like Baghdad after the US got here. There was never any sign of Aiken promotions doing a clean up the morning after.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Yet the front page of the website she writes for is dominated by stories on Brooks.
    Probably why she wrote her article. She isn't the editor you know!

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    Probably why she wrote her article. She isn't the editor you know!

Still a pointless exercise if the publication she works for continues to write about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

In hindsight, the GAA were silly to massively develop Croke Park to the extent that they did in such a dense inner city residential area.

I can understand that Jones Road is of historical significance to them - and to be fair, culturally to the nation itself - but they should just have kept part of it as a museum, made a huge buck on the rest of the land and got out to the suburbs where they would have had the space to do what they want.

A site in West Dublin within reasonable distance of the M50 would have been perfect for access from all over the country and the airport as well.

Redeveloping a gigantic stadium in such area is out of keeping with the trends elsewhere where a lot of clubs have got out of - or are seeking to - constricted inner city residential areas.

Plus I'm open to contradiction but 8 massive events a year on top of a sports schedule would be pretty intense by the standards of any European stadium of similar size surely?

Add the fact that the GAA are hellbent on ruthlessly increasing the non-sports revenue generated by Croke Park and their historical disdain for any group - community or otherwise - that doesn't buy into their 'vision' and it's just a recipe for disaster.

And it's finally unraveling for them as Ireland's slow painful progress into social modernity means that establishment bodies are becoming less inclined to blindly kowtow to their demands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

ankaragucu wrote: »
    I still dont know WHY the 3 concerts that were granted licences are not going ahead?
    Aiken, GAA and DCC all showed either greed, ineptitude or both.But why arent people asking GARTH BROOKS why he is not playing 3 concerts for which 240,000 tickets have been sold???
    No one has given a straight answer to this.
    His 5 concerts or none at all threat doesnt wash.Is he insisting on playing 5 shows or non at all in all the cities on his world tour.
    The whole thing has been a croc of sh1te.
    The answer to that is (to put it bluntly) that Garth Brooks is an arséhole. You're not hearing it because the media are fairly one sided on this,and the people who are shouting loudest about this are Garth Brooks fans - who are in denial that their hero might be a bit of an arsehole.
    2 of my favourite bands are Pink Floyd and The Beatles. It's not hard for me to admit that John Lennon and Roger Waters are arseholes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Woman on Liveline now said she queued up for two nights on the streets when the first two gigs were announced. She was two people from the top of the queue and the gigs sold out. So she went home to hear an announcement of more concerts and immediately queued up for a further 4 nights to get her tickets.

Six days and nights of your life sleeping rough on a street. Incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

AlekSmart wrote: »
    I reckon Tommy's half-brother,Paddy O'Gorman would make a better fist of it......particularly when there are poor downtrodden,discriminated against,folk (and their children) to consider...;)

"What about all the poor children ..... and the line dancers?"

• Registered Users Posts: 86,171 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Not everyone has credit cards

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Cienciano wrote: »
    The answer to that is (to put it bluntly) that Garth Brooks is an arséhole.

He is a creative eccentric. He is not alone, there is a long, long, long. list of top selling world dominating artists who fit the description, in fact it seems to be a recipe to succeed, perhaps Daniel O'Donnell exempted.

Going off Brooks, we had a very talented artist who won the Chelsea Garden Gold Medal a few years back, he turned down millions in potential fees because he had a row with Cork City Council over his Sky Garden.

He was right, he has his principles whilst others thought differently.

Artists are like that, usually the more successful the more eccentric.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Woman on Liveline now said she queued up for two nights on the streets when the first two gigs were announced. She was two people from the top of the queue and the gigs sold out. So she went home to hear an announcement of more concerts and immediately queued up for a further 4 nights to get her tickets.

She were lucky...we were evicted from our hole in the ground; we had to go and live in a lake.

For some it's because of the better chance of getting tickets. If you have decent broadband then you have a small chance of getting a result from the ticketmaster site when there's a high demand concert. If you have crap or no broadband, you have no chance. If you are first in the queue at a shop then you have a good chance, if not a guaranteed chance.

You mean some shop out there only got enough tickets for 2 people and no one in the rest of the queue got anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Bravobabe

Sometimes (when demand is high) you can't get tickets online.
    Some people have really bad broadband
    Hence - if you queue and get their early, you get your tickets.

However - I do agree with you, why queue in bad weather to give away your money.
    Always wonder why people queued up for nearly a week to save a few hundred quid in the January sales. I would pay a few hundred quiq to stay in a warm bed

She were lucky...we were evicted from our hole in the ground; we had to go and live in a lake.
    You were lucky to have a LAKE! There were a hundred and sixty of us living in a small shoebox in the middle of the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

You mean some shop out there only got enough tickets for 2 people and no one in the rest of the queue got anything?

Not sure if serious...

Presumably the OP means that queue had progressed to the point that there were only two people left in front of her by the time that the tickets ran out.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Cienciano wrote: »
    The answer to that is (to put it bluntly) that Garth Brooks is an arséhole. You're not hearing it because the media are fairly one sided on this,and the people who are shouting loudest about this are Garth Brooks fans - who are in denial that their hero might be a bit of an arsehole.
    2 of my favourite bands are Pink Floyd and The Beatles. It's not hard for me to admit that John Lennon and Roger Waters are arseholes.

Exactly. I'm a huge Pink Floyd fan but I'm the first to admit that Roger Waters is an arsehole and the main reason why I've never gotten to see the entire band perform. But as a musician he's one of the best the world has ever seen. I separate the musican from the person, one is a genius, the other is a dick.
    Red Nissan wrote: »
    He is a creative eccentric. He is not alone, there is a long, long, long. list of top selling world dominating artists who fit the description, in fact it seems to be a recipe to succeed, perhaps Daniel O'Donnell exempted.

Going off Brooks, we had a very talented artist who won the Chelsea Garden Gold Medal a few years back, he turned down millions in potential fees because he had a row with Cork City Council over his Sky Garden.

He was right, he has his principles whilst others thought differently.

Artists are like that, usually the more successful the more eccentric.

Ah come on the creative eccentric argument isn't going to fit here. He's Garth Brooks the cowboy from Tulsa, Oklahoma, he's no Vincent Van Gogh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭That_Girl_ Is_ A_Cowboy

:

Yeah I just hope for Aikens sake that he doesn't fall out with Brooks on this. Both of them are seriously out of pocket here so if Brooks launches a legal action for his costs of assembling the show and stage, pyrotechnics, etc then it could put Aiken in a real spot of bother. From what I'm reading. Brooks had employed the services of a production company who had worked on a few Super Bowl shows and other large scale razzmatazz events. By all accounts it sounds like what Brooks had planned for his comeback special was indeed massive.
    I doubt Brooks will sue Aiken for non performance of 5 dates but still things are on shaky ground. If Brooks announces a World Tour tomorrow and there is no mention of Ireland or Irish dates then I'd be fearful for what the fallout between them could be.

True. But I'm guessing many of them won't care. They'll easily take the money for double or triple times the room rate and then watch people cancel so they can re-sell the room again. Not all hotels will do this but some will, enough to leave a very sour taste in the mouth for many.

Mr Brooks would I imagine be very p1ssed off as to how things have worked. For years he sang Ireland's praises and even did a song called - Ireland. From all the countries in the world, he picked us for his precursor for his world tour. He would have spent months looking forward to this and preparing for this, just for it came to nothing.

I'm afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Tarzana wrote: »
    Then it's good they complained, isn't it?
    no, they have caused problems for their whole community and caused the country to lose out on millions

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Not sure if serious...

Presumably the OP means that queue had progressed to the point that there were only two people left in front of her by the time that the tickets ran out.
    Two people from the top of the queue doesn't mean two people away from getting tickets to me! But maybe.
    Robert2012 wrote: »
    Ah, but we had it tough!
    You try to tell that to young people nowadays and they won't believe you! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I don't believe this is the case. My understanding is that a TM outlet will have a particular number of tickets allocated that are not available online.
    Two people from the top of the queue doesn't mean two people away from getting tickets to me! But maybe.

The top of the queue would be whoever is next to be served at a given time?

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭paddyirish23

For some it's because of the better chance of getting tickets. If you have decent broadband then you have a small chance of getting a result from the ticketmaster site when there's a high demand concert. If you have crap or no broadband, you have no chance. If you are first in the queue at a shop then you have a good chance, if not a guaranteed chance.

Ya Limerick had trouble with their machine so by the time they got going thru only sold to about 10 or 15 ppl which is why he put on a fourth gig he didn't want anyone to miss out guess he stuck to his guns from the start

• Registered Users Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I'd imagine most of them are older people that don't use the internet.

• Advertisement

I don't believe this is the case. My understanding is that a TM outlet will have a particular number of tickets allocated that are not available online.

The top of the queue would be whoever is next to be served at a given time?
    We'll have to get onto Joe and get her back on the line!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement