Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

bumper234 wrote: »
    Everyone i know who had tickets had tickets for multiple nights. You reckon only 15000 had tickets for multiple nights, i would.say it's more so 80% had tickets for multiple nights. I can't prove that no more than you can prove your 15% theory, I'm just going on what i have learned from talking to many GB fans in work and family.

Money is tight for almost everyone these days. The fact that people were forking out €70 a pop in such numbers was surprising enough for me, yet you would have us believe that over 160,000 people were going to go to the concerts twice or more. As I said: farcical.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

muddypaws wrote: »
    And nor would they be, they would subjected to the laws of the land and their local council.
    Yes, the laws of the land as they are presently.

I have been responding to a daft proposal that the application period be amended so that applications are made 6 months in advance of an event. It's probably my own fault for even giving that suggestion the credit of a response.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

I'm actually deadly serious, but I have a need to buy 50 odd cowboy hats maybe next week. If anyone has or knows someone who has decent looking hats for sale could you PM me a picture of one. It's for a work thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Well, at least I'm using direct quotes and not making stuff up, such as claiming the chairman said he maintained Keegan did "nothing wrong" or that Dooley doesn't understand that Keogan had to approve of a 4th night. Both of these claims by you.. very easily shown to be false.

I understand what your assertion is.. what I'm saying is that it makes zero sense to say that only 150,000 people would have attended those five nights. It's farcical and you undermine all your opinions when you make such a ridiculous statement.

LOL, thanks for the laugh.

To be honest it doesn't matter what is posted in response to your "claims".

Continually making it up as you go. At least EOTR keeps the guff short. I've never seen so many words written with so little substance than your consistent denial/fiction on this thread.

My made up numbers are not as valid as your made up numbers, haha love it. Tell you what, give us a shout when you touch down.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Money is tight for almost everyone these days. The fact that people were forking out €70 a pop in such numbers was surprising enough for me, yet you would have us believe that over 160,000 people were going to go to the concerts twice or more. As I said: farcical.

Unless you can disprove my theory then yours holds no water either. We will never know the true extent of multiple ticket holders and therefore will never know the true % of the population who.were due to attend.

• Advertisement

JRant wrote: »
    LOL, thanks for the laugh.

To be honest it doesn't matter what is posted in response to your "claims".

Continually making it up as you go.

Yeah, so you keep saying.. yet when I ask you for examples, you can't provide them.

You claimed I said that the DCC and Aiken never had a meeting before the licences were refused (using quotation marks as you did so) and when I ask you to quote the post where that quote was.. you couldn't. I wonder why.

You claimed Dooley didn't understand that Keogan had to green light the 4th night offer and so I provided *video proof* that he referenced Keogan by name in the very same sentence when posing the questions regarding that 4th night offer.

You claimed that John O'Mahony said Keegan had done "nothing wrong" and again, I provided more *video proof* to show that what he actually said was that the committee wasn't there to determine who was right or who was wrong.

And so ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Reformed Character

Firstly, I never claimed 400,000 Irish citizens were to attend.
    330,000 was the official figure of tickets purchased in Ireland.
    15,000 of which I am willing to accept would be repeat attendees.
    315,000 is 7% of the population.
    In any case, even if that was reduced greatly, to say 5% - that is still a hell of a lot of people and so it is quite understandable for it to have received the attention which it did (to bring us back to the original point, for anyone that had forgotten it ;)).

So 93% of the population were unaffected by this, good then lets move on to something important, something that actually does affect a significant proportion of the population.

So 93% of the population were unaffected by this..

Strange comment. You do realise that far more people were effected by the ineptitude of DCC, than those who were due to attend the concerts don't you.

http://www.thejournal.ie/could-garth-brooks-have-brought-1561519-Jul2014/
    ..good then lets move on to something important, something that actually does affect a significant proportion of the population.
    Last time I checked, there were topics on a wide range of subjects on Boards and it was not compulsory to post in any of them.

Strange comment. You do realise that far more people were effected by the ineptitude of DCC, than those who were due to attend the concerts don't you.

http://www.thejournal.ie/could-garth-brooks-have-brought-1561519-Jul2014/

Last time I checked, there were topics on a wide range of subjects on Boards and it was not compulsory to post in any of them.

But money talks right? Never mind the hundreds of thousand who would have had massive disruption to their lives because of this as long as the money rolled in. It always amuses me how you all.fail to.mention the local businesses that are forced to close on these days because of road closures and cordons.

But money talks right? Never mind the hundreds of thousand who would have had massive disruption to their lives because of this as long as the money rolled in. It always amuses me how you all.fail to.mention the local businesses that are forced to close on these days because of road closures and cordons.

I am just pointing that more people than those whot were due to attend the concerts, were effected by their cancellations, which was the comment made. As for failing to mention businesses in the area, that's also untrue as I have said quite a few times on the thread now that there should be some degree of compensation package for those most effected by how ever many concerts there are. Businesses in the area also benefit from the concerts too mind. It's not all doom and gloom.

• Advertisement

Either you reject the economic argument or you do not.

If you're going to reject the economic argument, why then go and mention businesses who you suggest would have to close temporarily?

Because that argument is easily countered, perhaps. Dublin City Council themselves accept the economic benefit accruing to the capital. The notion that a few short-term closures outweighs a financial benefit of tens of millions of euro is in the top-5 dumbest arguments that this thread has seen. And I wouldn't like to speculate how many of that top-5 you've been responsible for.

conorh91 wrote: »
    Either you reject the economic argument or you do not.

If you're going to reject the economic argument, why then go and mention businesses who you suggest would have to close temporarily?

Because that argument is easily countered, perhaps. Dublin City Council themselves accept the economic benefit accruing to the capital. The notion that a few short-term closures outweighs a financial benefit of tens of millions of euro is in the top-5 dumbest arguments that this thread has seen. And I wouldn't like to speculate how many of that top-5 you've been responsible for.

And another who feels that the €€€€ outweighs the concerns of the people whol have to live and work around the area. Will.a bar/restaurant/hotels in the ares face going broke because these concerts are not going ahead? Probably not.

Could local garages/glaziers/bodyrepair/computer repair stores etc fave going broke because their customers cannot get to them, because they cannot move stock or because staff cannot work due to the disruption? Possibly.

There is NEVER an offer to any of these businesses to how they can stay open on these days, the roads get closed and no.one is allowed in be it customer or staff. I know a lady who works.in that area who would have lost 3 days work due to the concerts as there is no way she would have been able to finish work and get to the creche to collect her children on time. But money talks right........**** the few.....let's all line dance :rolleyes:

Ps: nice one with the.personal.attack....the mask.slips yet again ;)

And another who feels that the €€€€ outweighs the concerns of the people whol have to live and work around the area...

Could local garages/glaziers/bodyrepair/computer repair stores etc fave going broke because their customers cannot get to them, because they cannot move stock or because staff cannot work due to the disruption? Possibly.
    You don't even seem to realize you're doing it.

You're rejecting the economic benefit whilst simultaneously defending DCC's decision because, inter alia, economic benefit.

It's like talking to a wall.
    the mask.slips yet again
    what are you even talking about:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Oh look, the concerts are back on again.

Received an email from ticketmaster this evening reminding me about the Garth Brooks concert next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Will any of you still head up for countryfest? There will be some decent stuff on I'm sure around the pubs as well as some good tribute acts. You could still make a weekend of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,655 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Will any of you still head up for countryfest? There will be some decent stuff on I'm sure around the pubs as well as some good tribute acts. You could still make a weekend of it.

You could also help to boost Dublin cities economy that you're all so concerned about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Poor old Jim won't be joining us anymore - http://www.rte.ie/ten/news/2014/0720/631944-rockford-files-star-james-garner-has-died/

RIP James Garner

John_Rambo wrote: »
    You could also help to boost Dublin cities economy that you're all so concerned about.

It was the croke park residents in favour of the concerts that were so concerned about their local dump.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

Their 'local dump'? Really HLW I felt sorry for you missing out as you are a big GB fan, but your comment really lets yourself down.

It was the croke park residents in favour of the concerts that were so concerned about their local dump.

That's not very nice is it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

One of the concerns that the local residents often complained about was that people attending concerts treated their area like a dump.
    Clearly they had a point.

Yes, that did make me smile. Everybody reads boards obviously ;)

Phoebas wrote: »
    One of the concerns that the local residents often complained about was that people attending concerts treated their area like a dump.
    Clearly they had a point.

Excuse me now, I dont go around treating any area like a dump.

Some residents claimed they needed the 50million in their area and I agree with them, they do. Its a tip of a place.

I was up there in january. There was crap smeared all over the walls on some road....what concert goers are people blaming in the middle of january.

Face the facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

I think I follow you - you describe it as a dump / tip, but you wouldn't treat a dump as a dump.

Some residents claimed they needed the 50million in their area and I agree with them, they do. Its a tip of a place.

I was up there in january. There was crap smeared all over the walls on some road....what concert goers are people blaming in the middle of january.

Face the facts.

Did you have your slurry tank on the back of the tractor at the time?

Ah now it's a dump? Ever been there?

Edit: I see you were there in Jan. Thankfully you won't have to submit yourself to going there again now that the ego has decided to cancel his gigs.

I was up there in january. There was crap smeared all over the walls on some road.

In Drumcondra? Very unusual, were you up for a match?

John_Rambo wrote: »
    In Drumcondra? Very unusual, were you up for a match?

No, I was up to meet GB himself.

First and last time up there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement