Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Did you get to meet him?

Yeah, thats something :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

No, I was up to meet GB himself.

First and last time up there.

So if he announces some gigs in Dublin at the end of the world tour, you wouldn't go? Thats odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

No, I was up to meet GB himself.

First and last time up there.

Lot of bitterness coming over from your recent posts.

When you describe something as a dump, you are, de facto, insulting it and treating it like a dump.

The area is not an area I would necessarily choose to live myself but for the people who live there, I'm not sure "dump" is the word they would choose to decribe it. Home, maybe more common. I'm sure you'd love it if people called your home a dump.

muddypaws wrote: »
    So if he announces some gigs in Dublin at the end of the world tour, you wouldn't go? Thats odd.

He said it last week, unless the licensing laws are changed, how can he play here.

And after all this, I will never step foot in croke park, even for garth brooks. I'll take my money elsewhere. Europe is a big place.

He said it last week, unless the licensing laws are changed, how can he play here.

And after all this, I will never step foot in croke park, even for garth brooks. I'll take my money elsewhere. Europe is a big place.

Its a shame, you'll be missed.

• Advertisement

muddypaws wrote: »
    Its a shame, you'll be missed.

Go bully someone else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Every time I start feeling bad for you HLW, you go and spoil it all by saying something nasty. I'm sorry you won't get to see Garth since it evidently means a lot to you, but you do yourself no favours by being so pointlessly rude about Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Reformed Character

Will he play in Europe? I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Rhetoric like this wins you no friends. And yes, you're right, Europe is a big place. Can't find too much evidence of him having played large stadium gigs there apart from in Ireland mind. Maybe, if you're lucky, the Netherlands will want him as they are on a country kick at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

Plot thickens:
    Handball club's solicitor helped scaffolder take High Court injunction

THE community handball club behind the hard-line campaign against the Garth Brooks' Croke Park concerts helped a scaffolder who collects empties in the club house to take a High Court injunction to stop the shows going ahead, the Sunday Independent has learned.

Brian Duff emerged out of nowhere as a key player in the country-and-western farce when he launched a legal challenge a fortnight ago, then dramatically called it off claiming his life had been threatened.

Mr Duff, who lives in a council flat off Parnell Street, claimed that he was a concerned local resident who was given €15,000 from unnamed figures "north and south of the border" who "wanted to take the GAA down" to fund the High Court action, and a new suit to boot.

However, the Sunday Independent has confirmed that Mr Duff collects glasses in the Croke Park Community and Handball Centre, the club that is at war with the GAA and mounted a vigorous action against the concerts on behalf of its 570 members.

Nial Ring, an independent councillor on Dublin City Council who is on the community handball centre's management committee, confirmed that Brian Duff was associated with the handball club but said it didn't fund his legal action.

"Brian Duff collects glasses in the club house and he has the odd pint," he said. "He was never approached by the management committee to take an injunction. As far as I am aware, he approached Eamon O'Brien, said he was going to do it and he put him in touch with Tony Fay (the solicitor for the community handball club)."

The independent councillor also said the club did not fund Mr Duff's legal action, and said the management committee would "never have contemplated" doing so.

"As an accountant who has overseen the accounts of the club, I can tell you that the club does not have €15,000," he said. Mr Duff and Mr O'Brien did not return calls to the Sunday Independent last week.

The mystery of Mr Duff's backers has fuelled the drama, as the final curtain fell on the Garth Brooks farce last week.

Promoter Peter Aiken sold 400,000 tickets for five Garth Brooks concerts at Croke Park, but the council licensed only three. Brooks pulled out and last ditch talks to save the shows failed on Monday. Tickets are now being refunded.

The fiasco ended in recrimination before an Oireachtas committee with Owen Keegan, the council's chief executive, who was summoned twice last week to respond to the GAA's claims that he had supported the five shows. Mr Keegan admitted he initially indicated his support for the five concerts, but insisted he gave no assurances they would go ahead.

Eamon O'Brien, who lives in Castleknock, angered some north inner city residents when he emerged as the public face of locals objecting to the concerts. Locals formed a counter campaign supporting the concerts, referring to Mr O'Brien as a "so-called spokesperson representing residents" who "wasn't from the area".

Mr O'Brien chairs the Croke Park handball club, which rejected mediation talks to facilitate the concerts. The club's 570 members are being sued by the GAA, in an acrimonious dispute over plans to relocate it. He also fronts the Croke Park Streets Committee, which claimed to represent 600 local residents and was just as trenchantly opposed to the concerts.

Mr Duff's application for an injunction was heard in the High Court on July 8. His senior counsel, Frank Callanan, said his client was involved in the Croke Park Streets Committee but had taken the case as a local resident. His objections centred on fears of anti-social behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Reformed Character

Plot thickens:

How?
    We knew all this already.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

How?

Did anyone tell DCC?

How?

We knew that Brian Duff had connections to the Croke Park Handball Centre?

Link please...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

First Up wrote: »
    Did anyone tell DCC?

Tell them what? Information that has been readily available for weeks? I'll head to the civic offices now and camp out overnight, make sure am 1st in line to get this top secret info onto the managers desk first thing :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

My relation who lives in the shadow of CP today had "Go on Garth Brooks. We love Garth Brooks" catcalling directed at her as she was stepping out of her front door to pop to the shop.

You stay classy, Garth fans!

bumper234 wrote: »
    Tell them what? Information that has been readily available for weeks?

It's been known for weeks that Brian Duff was not a resident of the Croke Park area and that he had links with the Croke Park Handball alley?

Again, link please..

Here's the original article and none of these facts were known last week, let alone known "for weeks".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

It's been known for weeks that Brian Duff was not a resident of the Croke Park area and that he had links with the Croke Park Handball alley?

Again, link please..

Here's the original article and none of these facts have been known "for weeks".

Ah yeah, only residents knew this sorry, top.secret and all that you know. Nothing else to.see here move along now. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Tarzana wrote: »
    My relation who lives in the shadow of CP today had "Go on Garth Brooks. We love Garth Brooks" catcalling directed at her as she was stepping out of her front door to pop to the shop.

What did they expect in fairness. "Go on Garth Brooks" is hardly the end of the world.

I was there today, one of 55,000 or so. Couldn't believe how hassle free and smooth it was driving in and out, hardly a traffic jam at all. Couldn't help but think wtf are these lot moaning about.
    Try living beside Dundrum Shopping Centre.

nm wrote: »
    What did they expect in fairness.

Who expected it? It's totally unacceptable behaviour, not to mention classless. Anyway, not getting into back and forth, if you think it's acceptable, grrraaand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

bumper234 wrote: »
    Ah yeah, only residents knew this sorry, top.secret and all that you know. Nothing else to.see here move along now. ;)

It is new information, at least in this thread. In fact one poster gave a completely different version of who was behind it as 'fact' and then that BS was repeated over and over by the usual suspects.

How do you know it came from Garth Brooks fans ?

:pac:

It is new information, at least in this thread. In fact one poster gave a completely different version of who was behind it as 'fact' and then that BS was repeated over and over by the usual suspects.

Aye and I note that most of the posters that claimed Keegan was never in favour of five concerts and how there was no way the DCC would approve of five after 1D's three, as it would go so far above the three allowed by An Bord Pleanala and fair play to him for adhering to the planning laws.. have been notably quiet :p

Mr.Keegan's revelations that he would have granted five if Croke Park had managed to get the agreement of the residents, flies in the face of him being someone who was in any way motivated by a wish to uphold planning regulations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

"Go on Garth Brooks. We love Garth Brooks"

Seriously?

What did they expect in fairness. "Go on Garth Brooks" is hardly the end of the world.

I was there today, one of 55,000 or so. Couldn't believe how hassle free and smooth it was driving in and out, hardly a traffic jam at all. Couldn't help but think wtf are these lot moaning about.

And how many of those 55,000 were from Dublin, seeing as how it was the Dubs that were playing? When I go to Croke Park I tend to get the train in and walk up from Connolly. The gigs were for 80,000 and apparently the majority of them would have been from outside of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

That's awful, she can't even go out her front door without that rubbish.

Lol NM you aren't comparing like with like. Most of the meath fans would be driving home, not hanging around the area, gaa fans don't come to a gig hours early (remember the one direction fans that weren't allowed q early so walked around the area for hours?) There isn't a huge drink culture with gaa matches in croker the way there is with concerts, the matches I've been too very few were drinking, was a very family affair. No extra equipment is needed for a gaa match, unlike GB where trucks would be coming for days beforehand.

Unlike Dundrum shopping centre opening hours, concerts are on very late. I've been to Dundrum a fair bit, I've never seen people pissing outside, again unlike croker after a concert

I'm not even a resident and I've noticed the above. How are people so naive to think that this doesn't hugely impact residents in such a negative manner?

B0jangles wrote: »
    Seriously?

Seriously, I could claim I love metalica and ac/dc. Its people passing by and what do you know about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

Foolish post is foolish.
    How can you compare thousands of locals going to Croker during the day for a match to 80,000 drunken linedancers streaming through the place at night five times in a row?

• Advertisement

Aye and I note that most of the posters that claimed Keegan was never in favour of five concerts and how there was no way the DCC would approve of five after 1D's three, as it would go so far above the three allowed by An Bord Pleanala and fair play to him for adhering to the planning laws.. have been notably quiet :p

Mr.Keegan's revelations that he would have granted five if Croke Park had managed to get the agreement of the residents, flies in the face of him being someone who was in any way motivated by a wish to uphold planning regulations.

What? That doesn't make any sense at all.

Again, 3 concerts at CP are pre-licenced, they were the 1D concerts, all others have to apply for a licence, it has long been determined that nowhere does it state in any planning regulations that no more than 3 can be held in a year, that was an agreement between CP and residents, not An Bord Pleanala. Part of the licencing application process involves looking into the effect on local infrastructure, residents etc. So, if, after consultation and delibration, DCC decided that it wasn't in the best interests of the area to allow 5 gigs, then they wouldn't issue the licence for them. If however, after that consultation, it had been determined that local residents, infrastructure etc could handle the concerts, all 5 would have been licenced.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement