Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

He felt that it wasn't right to cancel concerts which 160,000 people had been looking forward to for five months, that many had booked tickets and flights for and which were due to take place just three weeks later. His only leverage to protest that decision was to say it was five or none. Had he accepted the three, then he would have looked like he didn't care for the 160,000 and was just grabbing whatever cash he could get his hands on. It was a no win situation for him.
    He could have had 4 concerts. So rather than 80k people missing out, it's a good idea for all 400k people to miss out? That's the most backward logic I've ever heard. And he's considered a complete ársehole now by pretty much everyone (bar a few die hard fans), that's better than a few people calling him a moneygrabber?
    Say what you want about DCC, but the person who comes out of this looking like the biggest gobshíte is Brooks himself. Closely followed by anyone who cancelled hotels and travel, lost out on money for the nights he was actually given a licence for, and somehow blame the residents/DCC instead of brooks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

Except he didn't.

Keegan:
    "Okay Garth, relax, you're an awful man, but sure look, I'll tell you what me ole flower.. I'm willing to give you licences for four nights but wait now, hold on just a tic.. only if you guarantee you'll do them? You do that, and I'll swing it past Keogan, but that won't be a problem, salt of the Earth is Keogan. He grew up near Cro... actually, nevermind. Look how does that sound? Will you do four, Garth? Go on. Will ya?".

Sounds like an offer of four to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Looks like Garth doesn't have friends in Croke Places.

Eh? EH? EH?????

Bet I'm the first one to make that joke.

And proud of myself I am too.

Cienciano wrote: »
    He could have had 4 concerts. So rather than 80k people missing out, it's a good idea for all 400k people to miss out? That's the most backward logic I've ever heard. And he's considered a complete ársehole now by pretty much everyone (bar a few die hard fans), that's better than a few people calling him a moneygrabber?
    Say what you want about DCC, but the person who comes out of this looking like the biggest gobshíte is Brooks himself. Closely followed by anyone who cancelled hotels and travel, lost out on money for the nights he was actually given a licence for, and somehow blame the residents/DCC instead of brooks.

Brooks has principals. True, that's a virtue which it appears you don't seem to hold in all that high a regard. Well, if having a junkie thug as an avatar (who has history of being imprisoned for threatening women) is anything to go by at least. Which is fine of course, but some of us do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Keegan:
    "Okay Garth, relax, you're an awful man, but sure look, I'll tell you what me ole flower.. I'm willing to give you licences for four nights but wait now, hold on just a tic.. only if you guarantee you'll do them? You do that, and I'll swing it past Keogan, but that won't be a problem, salt of the Earth is Keogan. He grew up near Cro... actually, nevermind. Look how does that sound? Will you do four, Garth? Go on. Will ya?".

You have a very vivid imagination :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Brooks has principals. True, that's a virtue which it appears you don't seem to hold in all that high a regard. Well, if having a junkie thug as an avatar (who has history of being imprisoned for threatening women) is anything to go by at least. Which is fine of course, but some of us do.
    He does and it is heart warming to see a decent guy stand by those principles. He has shown himself to be a man of integrity and substance and comes out of all of this with an enhanced reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Brooks has principals.
    Yep, he won't play unless the profit is high enough, at least he saved a bit of face and admitted this was the reason he had to do 5, after his sickening "sophies choice" crap about selecting kids to be killed, when in reality he was not even asked to make a choice.

Then he ruined it all again spouting some shite about his mother on her death bed crying or some tripe. It'd put shivers up your spine.
    a junkie thug as an avatar
    I thought the picture was of Ian Brown? who did you think it is? or are you saying Ian Brown was a heroin addict?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

bumper234 wrote: »

Vivid/libellous

He made an offer of four concerts. Are people really still trying to say that Keegan did not, just because Keogan had to approve it? Keegan would not be asking Garth Brooks to guarantee to do a concert which he doesn't know full well that Keogan would approve. You would want to be fierce naive now to think otherwise.
    "I can be rightly criticized for making that offer and looking back I probably regret that I did but I did feel it was important to make an extra effort to get these concerts for Dublin."

rubadub wrote: »
    Yep, he won't play unless the profit is high enough, at least he saved a bit of face and admitted this was the reason he had to do 5, after his sickening "sophies choice" crap about selecting kids to be killed, when in reality he was not even asked to make a choice.

He was suggesting that to choose to do the three concerts and accept that the other two wouldn't be going ahead, and to not fight for them, would be akin to 'choosing one child over another'. It's a well known metaphor and is often used by people. Throwing the word 'kill' in there is extreme hyperbole on your part.
    Then he ruined it all again spouting some shite about his mother on her death bed crying or some tripe. It'd put shivers up your spine.
    When did he say that? I read him say that she was on his mind and had once told him that everything happens for a reason and for the right reason and that as hard as he tried, he couldn't see that.

You're adding the death bed and crying part yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Keegan:

Sounds made up to me :)

Unless of course you hand in the GSOC affair as well? That would explain how your so ITK.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Calina wrote: »
    It will be soon enough.

I did not claim that Garth Brooks contributed to Keegan's decision. The sequence of events is: Keegan licenses three out of the five concerts, Garth cancels those three concerts.

Once he was told there was a licence issue, he should be informing himself. Other artists have managed this.

I never suggested that he was. I made it clear he was responsible for cancelling the three licensed concerts. You don't seem to understand the order of events here.

As for the resident's issue; Brooks did not need to know it existed but Aiken should have done and it should have impacted on whether he attempted to do five or not. Personally I would have considered it far too risky commercially.

And it is paragraphs like this that result in me finding it very hard to take you seriously.

He should have been aware that they were contentious from the point of view of many of the residents in the area. Specifically I mean Aiken here.

He is allowed be supportive but that in and of itself was never going to be adequate.

Which they didn't therefore he was correct not to grant them a licence.

Some of them have demonstrated a lack of maturity. In my view, I think a lot of them would have been gutted but would equally have understood. If they were in Ireland, they'd be aware there were issues around Croke Park from the day the concerts were announced.

CF the posts I made about Destination Docklands in London in 1988. It cost Jarre a fortune but he came to an arrangement regarding a split and reschedule of the concerts. I'm sorry. Brooks could have just as easily rescheduled the two concerts he didn't get licences for.

I dare say they'll come. I just doubt that they'll ever result in five Garth Brooks concerts.
    their concerns were addressed, nobodies fault if a few aren't and never will be happy

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

their concerns were addressed, nobodies fault if a few aren't and never will be happy

You're spot on there. It would seem that Aiken & GB wanted everything their own way. Important lesson for any who might try to ride roughshod over planning matters.

Ah now in fairness, sure why would they be happy with a €500,000 legacy fund and a paltry €125,000 a year for the local projects fund?

Have you seen the level of amenities in Castleknock?

No they weren't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

It's over Wishiwasa Littlebitaller.
    Keegan/Keoghan won't be losing their jobs. The point has been made to every promoter, fan, and venue in the country - that proper planning is a case of listen, adapt and ultimately comply or you won't get all or some of your events.
    Politicians are learning what they can and cannot do or interfere with arcoss the country. I heard of another instance over the weekend of a politician trying to intercede with a VEC recently to secure the employment of his nephew...he was told to PFO, by the college head and the CEO.
    Officials of this state can now do that with impunity at long long last.

The losers here are Aitken/Croke Park, Brooks and sadly his fans. The planning process will remain largely unchanged and has a new found integrity.

No they weren't.

Then why where they offered four three nights of the five? Should have been none if you're right.

Ah now in fairness, sure why would they be happy with a €500,000 legacy fund and a paltry €125,000 a year for the local projects fund?

Have you seen the level of amenities in Castleknock?

Yeah they were greedy, Garth wasn't greedy.......he needed his 50 million to ermmmm... buy stuff for hungry kids and stuff :rolleyes:

Yeah they were greedy, Garth wasn't greedy.......he needed his 50 million to ermmmm... buy stuff for hungry kids and stuff :rolleyes:

Brooks lost money by not playing the concerts. Wake up.

You're being extremely naive if you think his decisions was motivated by money.

But it's ok for the GB fanboys to claim the residents only wanted money:rolleyes:

To coin a phrase

Wake up.

You're being extremely naive if you think the objections were motivated by money

• Advertisement

There you going again dressing opinion as fact.

Nowhere has it been said/written that he's lost a cent. Aiken said that GB was in for millions. That may be so but it depends on the contract signed.

If GB has a cast-iron contract then Aiken could very well be up the creek.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    It's over Wishiwasa Littlebitaller.

It'll be over when there is an independent reveiew - not before.
    Keegan/Keoghan won't be losing their jobs. The point has been made to every promoter, fan, and venue in the country - that proper planning is a case of listen, adapt and ultimately comply or you won't get all or some of your events.
    You imply that Aiken / Croke did not do all that was asked of them, they did. Just that Keegan decided they hadn't as it suited them but if they truly hadn't, that would have been made evident to Aiken / Croke Park and it was not. As Duffy said: there was not even a "hint".
    Politicians are learning what they can and cannot do or interfere with arcoss the country.
    No politician "interfered" and the people that are foolishly happy with the fact that concerts got cancelled just three weeks before they were to take place do not have the monopoly on wanting a planning process which is immune from corruption no matter how much you tell yourselves that you are.
    The losers here are Aitken/Croke Park, Brooks and sadly his fans. The planning process will remain largely unchanged and has a new found integrity.
    One day you will look at this last quote from you and cringe and that day is not to far in the distant future.

But it's ok for the GB fanboys to claim the residents only wanted money:rolleyes:

To coin a phrase

Wake up.

You're being extremely naive if you think the objections were motivated by money

Eh, I never said the objections were motivated by money. What I said regarding Castleknock was a slight on the main guy and I know well he is not interested in money. In fact, he has made that clear many times. However, he manipulates many in area to be money motivated and has always done so, in the hope that they won't get what they asked for and he can use that descent as leverage for his vendetta. There are many examples of that and it's yet to be discovered if the brand new suit wearing Croke Park resident, who lives on Parnell St, is another one of them.
    JRant wrote: »
    There you going again dressing opinion as fact.

Nowhere has it been said/written that he's lost a cent. Aiken said that GB was in for millions. That may be so but it depends on the contract signed.

If GB has a cast-iron contract then Aiken could very well be up the creek.

If Aiken said he is in for millions, then that's good enough for me. I have no reason to believe him to be a liar.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭SoCal MusicLover

I am relieved this is all over. I just wish Ticketmaster would get me my frickin' refunds.

I am still flying out from California tomorrow, but instead of connecting in London for an ireland flight, I'm heading to Denmark & Norway.

Since I've been to dublin 4 times in the last 10 years, I thankfully do not need to visit ireland for awhile, if ever. There are plenty of other countries out there still to visit.

All of you defenders of justice are correct, this is but a minor blip, and who cares about the revenue lost when your principles can be adhered to. This will definitely show other acts and promoters who is boss.

But make no mistake, there are now plenty of people who will never visit ireland after this fiasco, so whatever money they stood to bring in now or in the future, is gone forever. But clearly my hard earned money is more important to me than it is to ireland and the ideals they consider so valuable.

Banned

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

JRant wrote: »
    You're spot on there. It would seem that Aiken & GB wanted everything their own way. Important lesson for any who might try to ride roughshod over planning matters.
    nobody rode roughshod over planning matters

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

I am relieved this is all over. I just wish Ticketmaster would get me my frickin' refunds.

I am still flying out from California tomorrow, but instead of connecting in London for an ireland flight, I'm heading to Denmark & Norway.

Since I've been to dublin 4 times in the last 10 years, I thankfully do not need to visit ireland for awhile, if ever. There are plenty of other countries out there still to visit.

All of you defenders of justice are correct, this is but a minor blip, and who cares about the revenue lost when your principles can be adhered to. This will definitely show other acts and promoters who is boss.

But make no mistake, there are now plenty of people who will never visit ireland after this fiasco, so whatever money they stood to bring in now or in the future, is gone forever. But clearly my hard earned money is more important to me than it is to ireland and the ideals they consider so valuable.

Don't let the door hit you on the arse on your way out.

Bloody line-dancers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Well put, principles are more important than making a quick buck.

Enjoy your nordic spree!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,180 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Jesus, you are so far up your own arse, those words are coming out brown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Wow, there is a real "biggest After Hours meltdown, 2014" contender going on right now. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

When people moan about the government not creating jobs and the taxes being too high should look at this fiasco and the attitude of some in the country. Millions of pounds and many jobs kept afloat by tourism and events like this. But no. They're all right jack.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement