Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

Piliger wrote: »
    When people moan about the government not creating jobs and the taxes being too high should look at this fiasco and the attitude of some in the country. Millions of pounds and many jobs kept afloat by tourism and events like this. But no. They're all right jack.

If you insist on going down this route then very well;

The GB concerts were a haemorrhaging of money from rural Ireland to Dublin, any inflow of money into the country was largely being offset by what GB would be earning.

The argument that these concerts should have proceeded on economic grounds is nonsense. That boost to the capital would barely have been felt compared to the effect of roughly €35-40 million leaving rural ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

nobody rode roughshod over planning matters

Because DCC wouldn't let them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Brooks has principals. True, that's a virtue which it appears you don't seem to hold in all that high a regard. Well, if having a junkie thug as an avatar (who has history of being imprisoned for threatening women) is anything to go by at least. Which is fine of course, but some of us do.

So brooks doesn't want to disappoint 80k people, so he disappoints 400k instead. Amazing principles there. The guy is an idiot, and pretty much everyone I spoke to with tickets for the gig outside this thread agrees. Only the deluded seem to think he made the right decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

He was suggesting that to choose to do the three concerts and accept that the other two wouldn't be going ahead, and to not fight for them, would be akin to 'choosing one child over another'. It's a well known metaphor and is often used by people. Throwing the word 'kill' in there is extreme hyperbole on your part.
    yes, I was talking the piss out of him, the mother on the deathbed bit anyway. Put if you call mine extreme hyperbole, then what the hell do you call his utterly cringeworthy shite? ultra extreme hyperbole?

Do a search for "garth brooks" and "sophie's choice" and you will see numerous newspaper articles mocking his astonishing statements. Many took it to be a comparison to that, as he was making out like he did have a choice, and would have to pick 3 to "live" and 2 to "die", so I don't even see my first comments as being far off.

You'd think he could afford a decent publicist who would have gagged him before he made a complete and utter tool out of himself. But perhaps his publicists thought we were naive gullible fools who would lap up his facade of disappointment for fans.

He stood up to his principles alright, in that he had to save face and not back down on the foolish knee jerk ultimatum he issued and is probably sorely regretting it now, as I expect he still did loose out on a lot of cash he otherwise still could have made. I don't believe he could not have made a profit on 3 gigs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

Cienciano wrote: »
    So brooks doesn't want to disappoint 80k people, so he disappoints 400k instead. Amazing principles there. The guy is an idiot, and pretty much everyone I spoke to with tickets for the gig outside this thread agrees. Only the deluded seem to think he made the right decision.

If you're gonna keep repeating yourself, so will I:

He didn't want to disappoint any of the 400,000.

Playing the three concerts would have been endorsing the decision made and he didn't want a bar of it.He sold 400,000 tickets for five nights and planned a stage show around those five nights and so wanted to play those nights. Telling 160,000 people that they won't be attending, just three weeks before those shows are due to take place is wrong and it's just a pity that the people in the very country most of the 160,000 ticket holders were from didn't feel the same. Took an American to tell the Irish that you don't walk on people like that because of flawed system which was the cause of the fiasco. We could do with taking a lead from him as he is spot on when he said that we should be looking to fix the flawed system after honouring those ticket holders that have, through no fault of their own, found themselves caught up in the mess and that includes making sure residents get whatever legally binding agreement is that they are happy with. Had we done that: everybody would have been happy, bar a handful of upstarts who do a disservice to the genuine residents and of course the welt of begrudgers this nation is surely not short on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,949 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

This thread is STILL going strong?

OMFG

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

bumper234 wrote: »
    Because DCC wouldn't let them.
    no, because they didn't in the first place

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

This thread is STILL going strong?

OMFG

There's a 'documentary' on about it on RTE tomorrow night

no, because they didn't in the first place

They tried.

They failed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

muddypaws wrote: »
    And how many of those 55,000 were from Dublin, seeing as how it was the Dubs that were playing? When I go to Croke Park I tend to get the train in and walk up from Connolly. The gigs were for 80,000 and apparently the majority of them would have been from outside of Dublin.

Most of them but I'm not sure what that has to do with it, it's not as if all the country folk would have been going to be driving up to the door of stadium. Commuting on public transport from hotels most likely, so much the same as Sunday.

There was 62,000 there, and plenty of those drinking in the pubs around CP before and after it. 3 quarters of the full 80k and it was a BREEZE getting in and out.

It's not the same as a gig but at the same time, it wouldn't have been a million miles different either. This was Garth Brooks not the Sex Pistols.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭ollaetta

It's a wonder someone isn't planning a mini-series.

OMfG again!

A survivors group is next....

I was driving back from Sligo today and I thought I heard something on the radio that DCC was doing a country music hoe down or summat instead of GB?

I Was trying to overtake a tractor and trailer on the N4 at the time, so I had to concentrate on the traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

No there isnt. Its tv3 on wednesday night.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

bumper234 wrote: »
    They tried.

They failed.
    they didn't try, they didn't fail, because they didn't do it in the first place

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

It'll be over when there is an independent reveiew - not before.
    Not into how the planning authorities did their jobs but into the legislation.
    They will make minor adjustments but it will be largely unchanged...why? because if it isn't abused, if people listen, adapt and comply, it works.
    You imply that Aiken / Croke did not do all that was asked of them, they did. Just that Keegan decided they hadn't as it suited them but if they truly hadn't, that would have been made evident to Aiken / Croke Park and it was not. As Duffy said: there was not even a "hint".
    And because you missed a gig by your hero (and please stop disclaiming that, you are not fooling anybody) nothing Keegan and his team did was right. But the fact remains not one person was able to pin the disaster on him at Committee. Why? because he didn't cause it.
    No politician "interfered" and the people that are foolishly happy with the fact that concerts got cancelled just three weeks before they were to take place do not have the monopoly on wanting a planning process which is immune from corruption no matter how much you tell yourselves that you are.

I met a crowd of about twenty from Donegal at the Ulster Final yesterday, having a ball in a local pub, spending money they had put aside for the Venerable one. Had they been going to the gig they wouldn't have been at the match and I can guarantee you that will be repeating itself throughout the country. The money will just get re-distributed. No biggie, it's the way any economy works. Businesses will get over it...so too should you.

they didn't try, they didn't fail, because they didn't do it in the first place

Common sense won the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

But clearly my hard earned money is more important to me than it is to ireland and the ideals they consider so valuable.

Banned

Confused. Was this poster not already banned? If so, and it's only a question, how did a banned poster, post?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Red Nissan wrote: »
    Confused. Was this poster not already banned? If so, and it's only a question, how did a banned poster, post?

I thought they just left in a strop, from the other thread, never to darken our country again .... until they came back today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

muddypaws wrote: »
    I thought they just left in a strop, from the other thread, never to darken our country again .... until they came back today.

Right, I remember that too, so not actually banned then. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Fortyjocks

OMfG again!

A survivors group is next....

In fact I believe there is going to be a minutes silence at 8pm on Friday night when all Garth Brooks fans can hold hands and pause in silence to mark the passing of the initial concert! Garth will probably be down the car boot sale with the contents of that mystery ship!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭roshje

Did they get planning:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Retrovertigo

Red Nissan wrote: »

The poster was told not to post in the thread again right after I got a warning for telling them to feck off. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Retrovertigo

Don't let the door hit you on the arse on your way out.

Word for word, exactly what got me the warning. Haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

No there isnt. Its tv3 on wednesday night.

Both are on!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

If you're gonna keep repeating yourself, so will I:

He didn't want to disappoint any of the 400,000.

Playing the three concerts would have been endorsing the decision made and he didn't want a bar of it.He sold 400,000 tickets for five nights and planned a stage show around those five nights and so wanted to play those nights. Telling 160,000 people that they won't be attending, just three weeks before those shows are due to take place is wrong and it's just a pity that the people in the very country most of the 160,000 ticket holders were from didn't feel the same. Took an American to tell the Irish that you don't walk on people like that because of flawed system which was the cause of the fiasco. We could do with taking a lead from him as he is spot on when he said that we should be looking to fix the flawed system after honouring those ticket holders that have, through no fault of their own, found themselves caught up in the mess and that includes making sure residents get whatever legally binding agreement is that they are happy with. Had we done that: everybody would have been happy, bar a handful of upstarts who do a disservice to the genuine residents and of course the welt of begrudgers this nation is surely not short on.
    I think you're delusional if you can't see the obvious problem in that. So he decided to disappoint everyone instead? You actually don't see the flaw in that? Brooks cut off his nose to spite his face.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Not into how the planning authorities did their jobs but into the legislation.
    They will make minor adjustments but it will be largely unchanged...why? because if it isn't abused, if people listen, adapt and comply, it works.

You have your head in the sand. You and everyone else that shares your opinion, are so focused on the Garth Brooks angle in all of this, that you are missing the fact that flaws in our event licencing system resulted in 160,000 people having concerts they were due to attend, cancelled, just three weeks before they were due to take part. Forget Garth Brooks for one moment. Can you not see how the fact that something like that could possibly happen, means that changes need to take place that mean it will be an impossibility for it to do so again?
    And because you missed a gig by your hero (and please stop disclaiming that, you are not fooling anybody) nothing Keegan and his team did was right. But the fact remains not one person was able to pin the disaster on him at Committee. Why? because he didn't cause it.
    I am not a Garth Brooks fan. If I was, I would just say so. What advantage would I have saying I am not? I 700 posts or something before this saga occurred and never mentioned the guy. You see, the reason that you, and others, and so determined for me to be one, is that you all want sooooo hard to believe that this whole fiasco is about a bunch of backward culchies who are all crying about not seeing a country and western singer. It makes it all so much easier for you all that having to accept the reality of the situation, which is that our licencing system buckled.
    I met a crowd of about twenty from Donegal at the Ulster Final yesterday, having a ball in a local pub, spending money they had put aside for the Venerable one. Had they been going to the gig they wouldn't have been at the match and I can guarantee you that will be repeating itself throughout the country. The money will just get re-distributed. No biggie, it's the way any economy works. Businesses will get over it...so too should you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭JRant

You have your head in the sand. You and everyone else that shares your opinion, are so focused on the Garth Brooks angle in all of this, that you are missing the fact that flaws in our event licencing system resulted in 160,000 people having concerts they were due to attend, cancelled, just three weeks before they were due to take part. Forget Garth Brooks for one moment. Can you not see how the fact that something like that could possibly happen, means that changes need to take place that mean it will be an impossibility for it to do so again? I am not a Garth Brooks fan. If I was, I would just say so. What advantage would I have saying I am not? I 700 posts or something before this saga occurred and never mentioned the guy. You see, the reason that you, and others, and so determined for me to be one, is that you all want sooooo hard to believe that this whole fiasco is about a bunch of backward culchies who are all crying about not seeing a country and western singer. It makes it all so much easier for you all that having to accept the reality of the situation, which is that our licencing system buckled.

Cool story.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

So picture a horrible dilemma like this.

A father is on a boat with his five lovely children when all of a sudden the boat starts sinking. The father can swim, but the children cannot. There are only 3 life jackets on board and he has to work out which of his kids gets them.

Now the dad, let's call him Garth, knows that he shouldn't have tried to bring all of his kids in the boat at the same time but that's for another day...the kiddies...what does he do? How does he choose between them...he can't make up his mind which ones to choose....

Fukc it, he says, it wouldn't be fair to save three and let the other two drown so you know what? I'll throw the life jackets away to make sure none of them make it...

Now there's balls for you...What a guy...

• Advertisement

JRant wrote: »
    Cool story.

If that is all that you have to contribute at this stage, why are you bothering to post?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement