Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

jd007 wrote: »
    Surely if DCC said it was a big ask, that should have been an inclination that it was too much? :confused:

Exactly! He is contradicting himself here.

Heard him in another interview as he tried to explain the sequence of events leading
    up to this fiasco. Started off with 2/3? nights. Demand for tickets was so great that
    he asked the GAA if he could have a fourth night and then a fifth night. No problem,
    they said. Then he TOLD the DCC that there would be a fourth and fifth night. In
    Aiken's own words - 'There was a conversation' with the DCC!! If they told him five
    nights was a 'big ask', he was well aware he was chancing his arm going ahead with
    it. The mess is mostly of his own making, as I see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

The trolls seem to be out in force over this thing with Garth Brooks.

Seen countless comments online along the lines of "Ya boo sucks to those denim jeans wearing country-western fans of that fat washed up singer, and glad that those fat cat hoteliers are losing money".

Not entirely sure where this sentiment is coming from. I couldn't care less about the concerts (I couldn't name two of Brooks' songs, and don't even live in Dublin anymore) but having the country held to hostage by 300 residents and an unelected egotist who hates cars and businesses is bizarre. Not that residents in that area shouldn't be recompensed, but I mean... the area is beside a stadium... and we are talking about two nights.

It doesn't really seem to be about the residents. Most people who I've seen attacking the concert have criticised the singer, the fans, and businesses in Dublin and then, as a codicil say "oh and the residents shouldn't have to put up with that". Wonder if any of the people who say "sure it won't affect Ireland at all financially", voted yes to Lisbon, "for the jobs".:D Even heard the term "rip off Ireland" today... haven't heard that since 2007... maybe we really are on an upturn?

And Brazil conceded 7 goals. These really are weird times.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Red Nissan wrote: »
    He is a creative eccentric. He is not alone, there is a long, long, long. list of top selling world dominating artists who fit the description,

Artists are like that, usually the more successful the more eccentric.

Garth Brooks is not an artist. He's a product aimed at a demographic in the same way as One Direction.
    Mr Brooks would I imagine be very p1ssed off as to how things have worked. For years he sang Ireland's praises and even did a song called - Ireland. From all the countries in the world, he picked us for his precursor for his world tour.

As I said in the other thread, he would struggle to fill medium size arenas anywhere else the world. He chose Ireland because it was there to be milked.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

The trolls seem to be out in force over this thing with Garth Brooks.

Seen countless comments online along the lines of "Ya boo sucks to those denim jeans wearing country-western fans of that fat washed up singer, and glad that those fat cat hoteliers are losing money".

Not entirely sure where this sentiment is coming from. I couldn't care less about the concerts (I couldn't name two of Brooks' songs, and don't even live in Dublin anymore) but having the country held to hostage by 300 residents and an unelected egotist who hates cars and businesses is bizarre. Not that residents in that area shouldn't be recompensed, but I mean... the area is beside a stadium... and we are talking about two nights.

It doesn't really seem to be about the residents. Most people who I've seen attacking the concert have criticised the singer, the fans, and businesses in Dublin and then, as a codicil say "oh and the residents shouldn't have to put up with that". Wonder if any of the people who say "sure it won't affect Ireland at all financially", voted yes to Lisbon, "for the jobs".:D Even heard the term "rip off Ireland" today... haven't heard that since 2007... maybe we really are on an upturn?

And you're another that seem to ignore the fact that Garth Brooks was able to play 4 nights and he decided himself not to.
    If you're handing out blame, DCC and residents are 20% to blame, Garth Brooks is 80%.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Ah come on the creative eccentric argument isn't going to fit here. He's Garth Brooks the cowboy from Tulsa, Oklahoma, he's no Vincent Van Gogh.

Some people queued in the street over night for tickets. I submit that some think him exactly that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

:

Yeah I just hope for Aikens sake that he doesn't fall out with Brooks on this. Both of them are seriously out of pocket here so if Brooks launches a legal action for his costs of assembling the show and stage, pyrotechnics, etc then it could put Aiken in a real spot of bother. From what I'm reading. Brooks had employed the services of a production company who had worked on a few Super Bowl shows and other large scale razzmatazz events. By all accounts it sounds like what Brooks had planned for his comeback special was indeed massive.
    I doubt Brooks will sue Aiken for non performance of 5 dates but still things are on shaky ground. If Brooks announces a World Tour tomorrow and there is no mention of Ireland or Irish dates then I'd be fearful for what the fallout between them could be.

True. But I'm guessing many of them won't care. They'll easily take the money for double or triple times the room rate and then watch people cancel so they can re-sell the room again. Not all hotels will do this but some will, enough to leave a very sour taste in the mouth for many.

It's getting farcical at this stage. Especially as Timmy Doorley of FF is on the Oireachtas Committee for Tourism. Timmy already nailed his colours to the mast on this issue when he appeared alongside the publicans and hoteliers bodies calling for the planning law not to be upheld. This gombeen then went and published his 'Garth Brooks Emergency Bill' so he could ride roughshot over both the residents AND the City Manager.

I can't wait to see this Oirechtas Committee tomorrow. Apparently Owen Keegan take no sh1t from anyone, Timmy Doorley will be out to dish it so hopefully Keegan gives him a few nice reminders of the history of Fianna Fáil and planning in this country.

or even better, Owen Keegan should shut his mouth until such time as he stops with his anti-car agenda, he needed to be ridden roughshot over not only because of his anti-car agenda but because the amount of money that these concerts would have brought was a rather large amount that the economy could do with

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

muddypaws wrote: »
    Is there a link that they insisted it wasn't enough, or is that just the supposition that has been made because they didn't accept it? I'm not arguing just for the sake of it, am genuinely interested as to whether greed was a motivation.

As has been pointed out, that €500,000 wasn't to be divided between residents, it was for community projects.

I'd have to look for links and can do so if you insist.

But surely the very fact that they kept demanding more and insisting half a million wasn't enough points to greed being at least part of the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Gergiev

You know what I get the funny feeling that this is a matter of ego, attitude and outlook. I reckon had Bruce Springsteen found himself in the same situation he would have just said well feck it I'll play the three in Croker and let's slap the stage on a truck and play another two down in Cork, hell I'll even play in Limerick and Galway too if they want it. Brooks on the other hand threw his toys out of the pram. He could have had 4 shows but that wasn't good enough for him. There was always a workable solution available to Garth Brooks, he was just too stubborn and egotistical to open up and embrace it. Others would have but he chose not to.

Great comment - agree 100%!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Even heard the term "rip off Ireland" today... haven't heard that since 2007... maybe we really are on an upturn?

Looks like we've found out what is behind... The Scary Door.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

I have never had a problem using the internet to get whatever tickets I need.

When a person gets into the shop, the shop merely uses the internet to secure the tickets online.

If you read Kathy Sheridan in the IT today, you will see the problems a lot of the
    journalists had with broadband throughout the country when they were at the count
    centres at the last election.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Cienciano wrote: »
    And you're another that seem to ignore the fact that Garth Brooks was able to play 4 nights and he decided himself not to.
    If you're handing out blame, DCC and residents are 20% to blame, Garth Brooks is 80%.

So we dropped this over one night? Makes less sense. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

Cienciano wrote: »
    I'd imagine most of them are older people that don't use the internet.
    If they are of the older generation then it beggars belief why would not ask a family member with internet access to book them rather than going out and queuing all night.

sabat wrote: »
    Garth Brooks is not an artist. He's a product aimed at a demographic in the same way as One Direction..

You can't take the artist away from him. He IS the artist behind the machine, without him, that machine stops.

Not every body can drive the machine forward, we have many machine casualties after brief success, SIX is one I think of off the cuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I'd have to look for links and can do so if you insist.

But surely the very fact that they kept demanding more and insisting half a million wasn't enough points to greed being at least part of the problem.

This is what I'm asking, where have you seen that they did this, is it from a reputable source, or just on internet forums?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Gergiev

You may be right but the only person in a position to sue is Aiken, as he could claim loss of earnings but I don't see that happening as they seem to have been friends since '97 but you never know. Aiken wasn't insured though, as you need a licence to get event insurance, apparently.

MCD sued Prince though, when he pulled out of his Croke Park concert:

Yes, and MCD are first in the queue to promote Prince when he next comes back. That's the way the international music business works at the elite level.

Similarly, Aitkens (sic) won't be suing anyone but keeping close to Gareth (also sic) with a view to recouping any losses on this show in the future.

That's the way our business works, folks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

Lemlin wrote: »
    I don't really give a toss about this whole debacle other than the amount of revenue that is being lost to the country. Just thought I'd throw this point in as I hadn't heard it previously and found it interesting:

Apparently the agreement is that three concerts are allowed without licence. These were the One Direction concerts. Subsequent concerts then require that a licence is sought.

There is no agreement about a maximum number of concerts per year. The only agreement is that a licence will be sought for any above three.

All concerts require a licence.

And if there is technically no upper limit, then I'm glad the DCC used their discretion and came to the conclusion that there should be a limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

sabat wrote: »
    Garth Brooks is not an artist. He's a product aimed at a demographic in the same way as One Direction.
    He's a singer songwriter whose six albums have received diamond status.
    As I said in the other thread, he would struggle to fill medium size arenas anywhere else the world. He chose Ireland because it was there to be milked.

Nonsense. His tour dates will sell without problem. The reason he chose Ireland is because, as he has said since 1997, he felt the atmosphere he experienced at Croke Park was the greatest he had ever experienced and indeed, so much so that he dedicated one of the four DVDs in his box-set, The Entertainer, to those concerts which he played at Croke Park and to Ireland in general to a large degree in fact.

But yeah, 'greedy Garth just wanted to milk as much money out of us as he could, cause nobody else wants him' is I guess the real truth, silly me for missing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Gergiev wrote: »
    Aitkens (sic) won't be suing anyone but keeping close to Gareth (also sic) with a view to recouping any losses on this show in the future. ..

To be honest, at this stage, unless a deliberate pun is intended, can we get the name right?

Yes, Aiken has options with this artist but emotions are running too high right now to even think about them, but there are options at this stage still, not that we will see anything this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    For some it's because of the better chance of getting tickets. If you have decent broadband then you have a small chance of getting a result from the ticketmaster site when there's a high demand concert. If you have crap or no broadband, you have no chance. If you are first in the queue at a shop then you have a good chance, if not a guaranteed chance.

You mean some shop out there only got enough tickets for 2 people and no one in the rest of the queue got anything?
    Not sure if serious...

Presumably the OP means that queue had progressed to the point that there were only two people left in front of her by the time that the tickets ran out.

Yeah that's what I mean, the women were in the queue and it was moving. Then the shop announced the gigs had sold out when there was only two people ahead of them in the queue. Pretty rough after queuing for two days. But instead of taking her chances on the telephone and/or internet she queued for a further four days and nights.
    or even better, Owen Keegan should shut his mouth until such time as he stops with his anti-car agenda, he needed to be ridden roughshot over not only because of his anti-car agenda but because the amount of money that these concerts would have brought was a rather large amount that the economy could do with

Not this argument again. The city centre is wedged with cars and we have no more space. What do you want, total and utter gridlock ? Because that is exactly where it'll end up if public transport and cycling aren't prioritised. We can't build any more roads in the city center yet more and more are buying cars. It's unsustainable and only the blind can't see it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Yeah that's what I mean, the women were in the queue and it was moving. Then the shop announced the gigs had sold out when there was only two people ahead of them in the queue. Pretty rough after queuing for two days. But instead of taking her chances on the telephone and/or internet she queued for a further four days and nights.

Not this argument again. The city centre is wedged with cars and we have no more space. What do you want, total and utter gridlock ? Because that is exactly where it'll end up if public transport and cycling aren't prioritised. We can't build any more roads in the city center yet more and more are buying cars. It's unsustainable and only the blind can't see it.

Make it car free problem solved for the most part. Public transport only and delivery trucks. Works well in a lot of places.

conorhal wrote: »
    I was gobsmacked to hear Aitkin doing the beal bocht on RTE this morning and I was disgusted that the presenter never bothered to ask him, ‘I assume a major event planner like yourself would be fully aware of how many licensed gigs were permitted each year at Croke Park and how many had already taken place, what exactly made you think that you would be granted a rubber stamp on a 200% increase on that number?’

The meeja has been shockingly uncritical during this whole debacle.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

The reason he chose Ireland is because, as he has said since 1997, he felt the atmosphere he experienced at Croke Park was the greatest he had ever experienced and indeed, so much so that he dedicated one of the four DVDs in his box-set, The Entertainer, to those concerts which he played at Croke Park and to Ireland in general to a large degree in fact.

"I am so happy to be here in..................................em....... Ireland. This is my favourite place to play"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Terry Prone prattling on in today's Herald about how the residents and Dubs in general should be ashamed of themselves for spoiling their country cousins big day out.

You know you're in the right when a witch like her is criticizing you!

• Registered Users Posts: 86,171 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Can Nathan Carter take GB 3 nights in CP now :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

naughtb4 wrote: »
    "I am so happy to be here in..................................em....... Ireland. This is my favourite place to play"

Ehhh....
    The reason he chose Ireland is because, as he has said since 1997, he felt the atmosphere he experienced at Croke Park was the greatest he had ever experienced and indeed, so much so that he dedicated one of the four DVDs in his box-set, The Entertainer, to those concerts which he played at Croke Park and to Ireland in general to a large degree in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭ooter

He's a singer songwriter whose six albums have received diamond status.
    He has released 8 albums not including the Chris Gaines one..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

Tarzana wrote: »
    All concerts require a licence.

And if there is technically no upper limit, then I'm glad the DCC used their discretion and came to the conclusion that there should be a limit.

Who are DCC representing
    not dublin city as its lost 50 plus million to the city. Definitely not tourism and as Dublin is the main tourism attractions thats shooting themselves in the foot. No consideration was given to the fans who bough tickets in good faith.

The begrudgery of those living in the shadow of the statium was bewildering.

DCC have a lot to answer for incuding why approval or rejection is so close to the planned event dates.

I live close to a main road (nass rd) should I seek that no one uses the road at night ?
    Should I seek compensation ?
    Road was there before my house was so many would say it was a factor in buying home.

We need to move beyond little pressure groups holding the city and country to ransom. Its really holding back development and growth.
    Even if we work around the begrudgery it is often so costly than any benefits have evaporated.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

cycling deserves no priority what so ever, it is a dangerous nucence, therefore an anti-car anti-business type like Owen Keegan shouldn't be able to force his anti-car agenda on the public, only public transport should get priority with cyclists told to go down the country as they are a danger to pedestrians and to the busses, Owen Keegan is interested in one thing and that is satisfying his ego

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement

spiralism wrote: »
    You'd better believe though they wouldn't have planned it to this degree without making damn sure it could go ahead first. Still though, the area misses out because of a few "not in my back yard"ers. We are the only country in the world that could organise a series of massive concerts, the biggest in the history of the state and blow it in such embarrassing fashion. Probably all of the Irish Garth Brook fans miss out the most in fairness, he'll never set foot on these shores again after this.

I personally don't give a shíte what anyone abroad thinks of us. But I can't stress this enough - NOBODY CARES.

We're a teeny tiny little country of very little global importance. Sorry, but it's true. It's weirdly self-regarding of people to be saying "Oh we're a global laughing stock" over something as mundane as this.

What brings us unwanted international attention is serious matters such as mass baby remains being found buried. Not some stupid concerts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement