Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

nm wrote: »
    So we can't discuss the source of the objections to the concerts here, but can spend 2 pages on the price of a pint in the Temple Bar?

Get the boat, this is completely relevant and likely to be the real source of the objections in the first place.

Evidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,274 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

ardle1 wrote: »

And just to make it clear, I certainly don't blame the man himself Garth Brooks, or even the other two stalwarts Aiken and Ticket Master...
    Again, Garth Brooks cancelled 4 concerts himself. He could have had 6 if he split them up. Whether you agree with his principles or not, it doesn't matter, but he's 100% to blame for the concerts not taking place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    You said

You cannot back this up. Instead we get another unsubstantiated "fact" that many residents were pro-concerts.

Unsubstantiated? Someone better tell this lot - http://www1.evoke.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/AssetAccess-41.jpg?8d96c2

Or is that not enough for many? They aren't hiding in the shadows either like the mystery objectors/injunction funders (Why?), and are definitely in the Croke Park area.
    Peppa Pig wrote: »
    You were asked to back up your assertions that many of the objectors were non-residents and most of them were anti-GAA.

Eamon O'Brien is not a Croke Park resident and has a massive chip on his shoulder against the GAA, I put it forward that in my opinion given his history and the fact that over half of the objections were delivered in bulk (source independent.ie), including forgeries in that bulk delivery, it is it quite likely an orchestrated campaign by this mans organisation to strike out at the GAA, having nothing in fact to do with the CP residents at all. Some probably are resident, maybe the majority, and some likely aren't especially given the forgeries and the cloak and dagger nature of the campaign including mystery funding of Brian Duff.

Quite rightly many residents (pictured above and covered in mass media) have come out publicly and taken to the streets to proclaim that they are NOT represented by this organisation. This part is fact and did not have to resort to cloak and dagger funding sources, forgeries, etc.
    No question of organisations with ulterior motive amongst them.

It could be on the moon and Eamon O'Brien and his supporters would mobilise against the GAA, as we can see clearly now given his meddling in the developments for Belfast and Cork.

bumper234 wrote: »
    Evidence?

Opinion / Fact - difference? See above.

Still waiting on evidence of what the price of a pint in Temple Bar has to do with this at all too.

DCC "may" have disappointed 160,000 ticket holders bur Brooksie DEFINITELY let down 240,000 ticket holders.

Dumbfounded as to why you have the word "may" in there.

Do we really have to keep repeating the ad-nauseam lines over and over again? No one is saying Garth Brooks didn't cancel three gigs so let's just try and get it straight now -

5 concerts in a row - Cancelled due to DCC on foot of complaints from "CP residents" groups.
    2 concerts - Cancelled due to DCC on foot of complaints from "CP residents" groups.
    3 concerts - Cancelled by Garth Brooks in a tantrum.

If we can agree on this much, going forward can we agree to stop pointing out the obvious when someone says the 5 were cancelled due to xyx, "NO NO it was due to abc".
    We all surely know this much already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,330 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Do we really have to keep repeating the ad-nauseam lines over and over again? No one is saying Garth Brooks didn't cancel three gigs so let's just try and get it straight now -

5 concerts in a row - Cancelled due to DCC on foot of complaints from "CP residents" groups.
    2 concerts - Cancelled due to DCC on foot of complaints from "CP residents" groups.

If we can agree on this much, going forward can we agree to stop pointing out the obvious when someone says the 5 were cancelled due to xyx, "NO NO it was due to abc".

Told you before: you can't cancel something that's not officially confirmed in the first place.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

We cannot agree on this. It is complete rubbish.

Five concerts were scheduled. Three were licensed and two were refused licences. The three licensed concerts were cancelled by the artist.

DCC did not cancel any concerts. They refused to licence two on a number of different grounds not limited to but including a number of local complaints.

Three concerts were cancelled by the artist.

You're trying to muddy the waters here. It really is simple: artist and promoter scheduled five, got licensed for three and threw their toys out of the pram and artist refused to do the three he got licences for.

Told you before: you can't cancel something that's not officially confirmed in the first place.

Facepalm here.. jesus

Plans were cancelled. That's a cancellation. A cancellation of plans for a concert.

Glad we got vital point ironed out now too and we can hopefully put it behind us forever.

Calina wrote: »
    We cannot agree on this. It is complete rubbish.

Five concerts were scheduled. Three were licensed and two were refused licences. The three licensed concerts were cancelled by the artist.

DCC did not cancel any concerts. They refused to licence two on a number of different grounds not limited to but including a number of local complaints.

Three concerts were cancelled by the artist.

You're trying to muddy the waters here. It really is simple: artist and promoter scheduled five, got licensed for three and threw their toys out of the pram and artist refused to do the three he got licences for.

I'm not muddying anything I put it as clearly as possible.

[DCC] "refused to licence two on a number of different grounds not limited to but including a number of local complaints."

..and so the plans for 2 were cancelled, meaning the plans for 5 in a row were cancelled, on foot of DCC's ruling which is exactly what I said.

and

[The artist] "got licensed for three and threw their toys out of the pram and artist refused to do the three he got licences for"

.. Absolutely NO ONE is disputing this.

Someone here is muddying the waters but it's not me.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dellboy2007

Why are you all still talking about this? What difference does it make? It's over, move on with your lives. There are other issues going on in the world besides Garth Brooks.

• Advertisement

Partly on foot of complaints...not totally!

Partly on foot of complaints...not totally!

You'll look for an argument in an empty room but if that's the best you can do with that post it's cool I can live with that one.

You'll look for an argument in an empty room but if that's the best you can do with that post it's cool I can live with that one.

You keep claiming as fact that the licences were cancelled due to resident complaints when in fact they played a PART in the licences being cancelled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 strictlycash

I agree with Calina. If Garth had agreed to do 3, I'm sure he would do 3, but I reckon 5 shows were arranged, contracted, signed over, with Aiken/Brooks at the very start. 3 would be allowed and the other 2 would get through, they hoped, with the usual nod and a wink. So, costs were calculated and spread over 5 shows. Now, if confined to 3 shows, that would change the figures, and cost of tickets, some of which had already been sold. That's why Garth said 5 or nothing, but letting down 240,000 people because he didn't want to let down 160,000 was a poor excuse. I think he may have been misled.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

ardle1 wrote: »
    Nahhhhhhh, I've read a few more posts here today, and I still can't figure out how Ireland let the biggest entertainment event involving the best entertainer in the World! just slip through it's hands.......
    I don't blame any individual anymore, the event was bigger than any individual.
    I just blame the Irish Government.

And just to make it clear, I certainly don't blame the man himself Garth Brooks, or even the other two stalwarts Aiken and Ticket Master...
    Similar happened in 2008, Ireland let Prince "slip through its hands".

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0223/127932-prince/

He was similarly set to play croke park, like Garth he was granted permission to play, and like Garth he was seemingly unhappy with the profits he was set to make. It was rumoured he had poor tickets sales but was still set to make $2m. Just like I imagine Garths 3 gigs would have been profitable but maybe not just enough.

So like Garth, Prince decided to cancel his gig.

And just to make it clear, I certainly don't blame the man himself Prince

how did we let Prince slip through our fingers....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

rubadub wrote: »
    how did we let Prince slip through our fingers....

He's a very small person, so it would be easy for him to slip through anyone's fingers, so don't feel bad

• Registered Users Posts: 20,982 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Oh you mean this one with the bitter residents and their handball alley. If it wasnt for GB people wouldn't know about their issues....like we give a fcuk about their handball alley and a bar. They should have let it go, it was between them and the GAA and no one else. But they wanted to drag everyone else down.

He has also set up Irish Stadium Communities Association.

He is completely against the redevelopment of stadiums, full stop.

http://www.irishmirror.ie/whats-on/music-nightlife-news/garth-brooks-croke-park-concerts-3830065
    The Gaa actually own the handball alley don't they??

I agree with Calina. If Garth had agreed to do 3, I'm sure he would do 3, but I reckon 5 shows were arranged, contracted, signed over, with Aiken/Brooks at the very start. 3 would be allowed and the other 2 would get through, they hoped, with the usual nod and a wink. So, costs were calculated and spread over 5 shows. Now, if confined to 3 shows, that would change the figures, and cost of tickets, some of which had already been sold. That's why Garth said 5 or nothing, but letting down 240,000 people because he didn't want to let down 160,000 was a poor excuse. I think he may have been misled.

No one disagrees with that.

No one disagrees with that.

I disagree with your assertion that DCC cancelled any concerts however.

Big difference between this and Prince, Prince was touring so didn't attract tourism from outside the country, sales were poor, and in any case 400,000 > 80,000, and so on.

This is why no one (bar his fans) really cared when Prince cancelled.

• Advertisement

I disagree with your assertion that DCC cancelled any concerts however.

2 concerts and thus the 5-in-a-row concert schedule was cancelled on foot of DCC's ruling not to grant licences for Monday and Tuesday.

Have you any issues with that fact?

Can you explain how or why Garth Brooks and Aiken cancelled Monday and Tuesday concerts for any other reason?

Big difference between this and Prince, Prince was touring so didn't attract tourism from outside the country, sales were poor, and in any case 400,000 > 80,000, and so on.

This is why no one (bar his fans) really cared when Prince cancelled.

And this is why no one (bar his fans) cared when Garthy cancelled his concerts.

2 concerts and thus the 5-in-a-row concert schedule was cancelled on foot of DCC's ruling not to grant licences for Monday and Tuesday.

Have you any issues with that fact?

Can you explain how or why Garth Brooks and Aiken cancelled Monday and Tuesday concerts for any other reason?

I don't see why you can't say "Brooks and Aiken didn't obtain licences" instead of "DCC cancelled". The onus is on them to make a case for a licence which they clearly didn't do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

rubadub wrote: »
    Just like I imagine Garths 3 gigs would have been profitable but maybe not just enough.

So like Garth, Prince decided to cancel his gig.

This is one thing I just don't understand. How could you sell 240,000 tickets at €80 a pop, and still be in the red?

On average, the artist will take 74% of the ticket revenue. And I'd imagine Garth Brooks negotiated for a bit more than that!

I'm going to leave it at 74% in this example: for 3 sold out Croke Park concerts, he would earn approximately €14 million.

I just don't see how he would spend more than that on non-reusable stage equipment. Scaffolding, speakers, big screens, all these could be reused on his World Tour. Maybe some elements were being specifically designed to fit Croke Park, but would those productions costs run into 8 figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I think that's more or less bang on the money. I think he was really badly advised, I haven't met anyone who has a good word to say about him for cancelling the three gigs when he had permission for them. Even on the TV3 documentary they did interviews at a Country & Western event in Donegal and some lad who had tickets said he now wouldn't cross the road to go and see Garth Brooks. That's the level of anger people now feel with the artist because ultimately most people are rational and can see how 5 in a row was a bit of overload but at the same time just can't understand why Garth won't do the three.

If Aiken announced 5 in a row Garth Brooks concerts for Croke Park for next summer I doubt he would even sell out three of them at this stage he's lost that much goodwill over this.

And this is why no one (bar his fans) cared when Garthy cancelled his concerts.

Except for of course The Hotels Federation, Dublin Chamber of Commerce, Vintners’ Association, The Oireachtas, transportion companys up and down the country and numerous other businesses all affected, various politicians that got involved due the the effect of the aforementioned, and of course the residents in favour of the concerts that wanted the business.

But you keep telling yourself it's all about "Garthy" :rolleyes:

Except for of course The Hotels Federation, Dublin Chamber of Commerce, Vintners’ Association, The Oireachtas, transportion companys up and down the country and numerous other businesses all affected, various politicians that got involved due the the effect of the aforementioned, and of course the residents in favour of the concerts that wanted the business.

But you keep telling yourself it's all about "Garthy" :rolleyes:

I think it's you who is banging that old drum for the last few weeks :rolleyes:

I don't see why you can't say "Brooks and Aiken didn't obtain licences" instead of "DCC cancelled". The onus is on them to make a case for a licence which they clearly didn't do.

So you just wanted to argue over semantics this whole time?

What happened to "complete rubbish"?
    Umaro wrote: »
    This is one thing I just don't understand. How could you sell 240,000 tickets at €80 a pop, and still be in the red?

There is no way he was in the red, just being stubborn and cutting off his nose despite his face.
    Muahahaha wrote: »
    If Aiken announced 5 in a row Garth Brooks concerts for Croke Park for next summer I doubt he would even sell out three of them at this stage he's lost that much goodwill over this.

Definitely. 2 I'd say would be sufficient. Like most involved, Garth Brooks came out of this looking terrible, and deservedly so for cancellation of the allowed 3.
    We can forget about those 70k tourists from overseas too so that's one night scratched anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

Umaro wrote: »
    And I'd imagine Garth Brooks negotiated for a bit more than that!

in general (excluding vegas) Garth has a tendancy to keep prices rock bottom. in 08/09 he played a run of shows in Kansas and ticket prices were under $40 it may have been as low as $25. even the tickets for the up coming Chicago show is at about $65

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I think that's more or less bang on the money. I think he was really badly advised, I haven't met anyone who has a good word to say about him for cancelling the three gigs when he had permission for them. Even on the TV3 documentary they did interviews at a Country & Western event in Donegal and some lad who had tickets said he now wouldn't cross the road to go and see Garth Brooks. That's the level of anger people now feel with the artist because ultimately most people are rational and can see how 5 in a row was a bit of overload but at the same time just can't understand why Garth won't do the three.

Was watching that show last night, I think the majority of ticketholders know that it was Garth's ego/greed that killed the 3 licensed concerts. They've got their refund and are moving on with their lives - then theres a vocal minority on a few websites who are defending him til the end.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement