Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

Cienciano wrote: »
    Again, Garth Brooks cancelled 4 concerts himself. He could have had 6 if he split them up. Whether you agree with his principles or not, it doesn't matter, but he's 100% to blame for the concerts not taking place

If you had a dog and left your gate open one night and he escaped and one of your neighbours sees him, but doesn't try and return him to you (he could easily have done) and so the dog ends up lost. Do you blame the neighbour for what happened or do you take responsibility yourself as it was after all, you that left the gate open?

Dog = Concerts.
    Gate = Licensing System.
    Neighbour = Brooks.
    You = You.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

If you had a dog and left your gate open one night and he escaped and one of your neighbours sees him, but doesn't try and return him to you (he could easily have done) and so the dog ends up lost. Do you blame the neighbour for what happened or do you take responsibility yourself as it was after all, you that left the gate open?

Dog = Concerts.
    Gate = Licensing System.
    Neighbour = Brooks.
    You = You.

So wait, the cops knew internal affairs were setting them up ??? :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,274 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Dog = Concerts.
    Gate = Licensing System.
    Neighbour = Brooks.
    You = You.
    Ah here, even by your standards, that analogy is ridiculous! Did you expect anyone except for the usual 2 or 3 posters to say "well, you've got a point there, brooks was right".
    Brooks was free to play 4 concerts here and he refused, it's simple. I'm not sure why people are trying to absolve Garth Brooks of blame in this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

How dare you discuss what's relevant to why these concerts were cancelled.

Don't you know that Brooks wants songwriters to get a bigger percentage of sales from iTunes and only gave his ex-wife $125m. Stay on topic, dude!

Problem is the topic has been done to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,329 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

nm wrote: »
    Facepalm here.. jesus

Plans were cancelled. That's a cancellation. A cancellation of plans for a concert.

Glad we got vital point ironed out now too and we can hopefully put it behind us forever.
    Plans were cancelled. Concerts were not cancelled. I agree. It's what I was saying all along.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Thats why I wrote "under" 400,00 :rolleyes:

Just under could have meant 399,999 :rolleyes:

So wait, the cops knew internal affairs were setting them up ??? :confused::confused:

Poor Brooksie, Only 2 days away from retirement to

bumper234 wrote: »
    Just under could have meant 399,999 :rolleyes:

It could have meant many numbers below 400,000 :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,767 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Is it time for the monorail song again?

hynesie08 wrote: »

We could hold another mass?

• Advertisement

hynesie08 wrote: »

Brooks did sell gigs to Ogdenville, Brockway and North Haverbrook.....didnt he?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,767 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Brooks did sell gigs to Ogdenville, Brockway and North Haverbrook.....didnt he?

Yes and he put those towns on the map.

http://www.pensacoladigest.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/simpsons-monorail-map.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

As ever, David McWilliams calls it:
    Don't stop the music

When I hear about the Garth Brooks saga, I despair, not for the music, because I don’t get country and western at all, but because hosting gigs is something we are good at. Ireland is a good venue. And it could be a brilliant one. Hospitality is what we are supposed to do well.

In a world of cheap travel, gigs are an essential part of the tourist offering of a country – much more essential than say the likes of golf. Hosting a big gig is worth more to a city than a Champions League final and the marketing opportunity is crucial particularly if the gigs are televised. Who doesn’t have a better view of Latin America in general – and Brazil in particular – having seen thousands of smiling fans having a good time?

Now think about the positive impact on music festivals and the greater economy. As usual, we don’t have the figures for Ireland, but for Britain, five years ago in 2009, total revenue from live music was £1.4 billion (Euro 1.7 billion).

Tourists coming to Britain spent £196 million on concerts and £47 million on festivals in 2009. British residents spent £652 million on concerts and £499 million on festivals. Half of the total £1.4 billion expenditure was spent outside music events, in local businesses such as hotels and restaurants.

The table on this page gives you a breakdown of the value of live music across major countries in local currency and converted into dollars. You can only imagine that this industry has grown since then, given the number of gigs staged in Ireland alone during this summer.

In Italy, live music is already worth nearly twice as much at Euro 781 million, compared to recorded music at Euro 419 million. For Britain, the difference is less marked with live music at £1.48 billion and recorded music at £1.24 billion. Worldwide, recorded music retail sales are $25.8 billion, while the live sector is estimated to be $21.6 billion.

This is a huge global industry and we could be getting a little bit of it. Giving in to a few Nimby agitators is not the way to go. We have a giant stadium: use the bloody thing. Seen from outside the country, it looks pathetic, ungenerous and small-minded. Seen from the economic perspective and from the perspective of positioning the country in a huge global industry, it looks like madness.

Music is infectious, music is memorable and music festivals are a profitable part of the tourist calendar. Let’s wise up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

As ever, David McWilliams calls it:

How granting 3 licences for gigs when objectors wanted none is 'giving into nimby's' is just flabberghasting.
    Obviously McWIlliams is once again climbing on a bandwagon to get himself noticed.
    This is after all the same McWilliams who made his name fulminating at bankers and developers who thought the laws didn't apply to them.

You couldn't invent that level of hypocrisy and double think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

McWiliams is only interested in one thing, and that's self publicity. He's losing his touch in that he used the term nimby and didn't make up some bullcrap phrase for them like he usually does.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,274 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

In a world of cheap travel, gigs are an essential part of the tourist offering of a country – much more essential than say the likes of golf. Hosting a big gig is worth more to a city than a Champions League final and the marketing opportunity is crucial particularly if the gigs are televised. Who doesn’t have a better view of Latin America in general – and Brazil in particular – having seen thousands of smiling fans having a good time?
    Obviously David McWilliams didn't see all the riots in Brazil before and during the world cup. And to answer his question: "Who doesn’t have a better view of Latin America in general – and Brazil in particular – having seen thousands of smiling fans having a good time?". Well, me for a start. I'd have the exact same view as before. And how would someone have a better view of El Salvador because of a world cup in Brazil?
    Plus, having a few concerts isn't exactly world news. Champions League final and a world cup are far, far bigger events globaly. Ridiculous article.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Umaro wrote: »
    Was watching that show last night, I think the majority of ticketholders know that it was Garth's ego/greed that killed the 3 licensed concerts. They've got their refund and are moving on with their lives - then theres a vocal minority on a few websites who are defending him til the end.

Yeah I think that's correct. People have put it behind them except for the 'Super Fans' who see it as part of their duty to defend Brooks even if he shat on their Cornflakes.
    JRant wrote: »
    LOL.

You've basically named the biggest rip off merchants in the country and you want us to feel sympathy for them.

I'll break it down for you;

Hotel Federation - Gougers

Dublin Chamber of Commerce - Gougers

Irish Vinters Association - they'd sell there own mothers for a quick buck, gougers.

Oireachtas - Biggest gougers in the country by some distance.

I have zero, let me repeat that for you ZERO, sympathy for any of those groups above and using their crocodile tears as a basis for making a decision is bat shît crazy imo.

Likewise I have zero sympathy for any of those organisations and their promises of temporary minimum wage jobs for 5 days and nights. The hoteliers were pure gougers in this, they couldn't fleece the public enough. No doubt the publicans were planning similar price hikes for a few days too.

Just as an aside too and something I think no one picked up on or at least made a point of. The Licensed Vintners Association who represent Dublin publicans came out and said that not having the concerts would cost their members €15m. I did the maths on that and if you allow €5 per drink of beer, bottled beer or glass of wine then the LVA were estimating that 3 million drinks would be sold to 400,000 people which works out at 7.5 drinks per person. Then you have to allow for the fact that 20% of the Irish population don't drink so what you're looking at is 3 million drinks for 320,000 people which works out at 9.3 drinks per person.

So it seems like even the LVAs own figures and estimates show that they fully expected people to go along to this concert and engage in an all day drinking session and get locked. Then they'd be kicked out on the streets surrounding Croker in that state. The LVA won't care because it's no longer their problem and the money is in the till. Let the residents deal with people pissing in their gardens. Even the LVAs own estimates further strengthen the arguments of the residents, there is a world of difference between a sporting crowd out to watch 70 minutes of GAA and a concert crowd who congregate in the area from lunchtime, drink heavily all day and then finally leave the area sometime after 11pm that night.
    catallus wrote: »
    How the hell could they cancel these concerts? I've just heard about this and I am livid! :mad:

Who is to blame!?

You've only got 500 odd pages of this thread to read to find out. Let us know when you do :pac:
    ThisRegard wrote: »
    McWiliams is only interested in one thing, and that's self publicity. He's losing his touch in that he used the term nimby and didn't make up some bullcrap phrase for them like he usually does.

I used to like the guy but these days he annoys me. He's like the hurler on the ditch, always knows the right thing to do but says it so often no one listens to him anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Reformed Character

Dog = Concerts.
    Gate = Licensing System.
    Neighbour = Brooks.
    You = You.

Post= nonsense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Muahahaha wrote: »

I used to like the guy but these days he annoys me. He's like the hurler on the ditch, always knows the right thing to do but says it so often no one listens to him anymore.

He doesn't even tell us what in his opinion is the right thing to do other than allow anybody organise anything they want.

This from a guy who's whole public persona/fame is based on his outspoken criticism of the consequences of a chaotic, influence and money driven planning process just beggars belief.
    His personal editor/hypocrisy detector must be in need of a service!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Just as an aside too and something I think no one picked up on or at least made a point of. The Licensed Vintners Association who represent Dublin publicans came out and said that not having the concerts would cost their members €15m.
    I mentioned this.
    rubadub wrote: »
    Were any anti-drug people supporting/pleased with this. I heard the vitners saying they were to lose out on €15m, thats €37.50 a head expected to be spent in pubs, and the governement tell us 3 drinks in a row is binge drinking.
    I imagine lots of binge drinking goes on in the dail bar.

Its weird how people are so oblivious & hypocritical about these things. Imagine some fully legal headshop owner moaning when eminem was cancelled about all the missed oppurtunity to sell party pills and smoking blends.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 strictlycash

His wife got 125 million? I'll settle for 3 nights with her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Christ why are you knobheads still talking about this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

Cienciano wrote: »
    Why was he charging €60 a ticket? I saw U2 play in Croke Park for €30 and they had a much bigger stage and lightshow that Brooks does. They even paid to relay the pitch afterwards.
    I don't begrudge him charging for tickets, but no need to make him out as a some sort of saint.

my understanding of all ticket prices is that the artists sets his price ie what he wants to earn etc from the shows and the overheads, production costs, promotors share are added to that, be that U2, Brooks, Bon Jovi who ever. Look at other artists, not so long ago it wasnt uncommon for tickets to be €100+ in ireland, was it not lisa minelli that wanted inexcess of 150 a seat?

I cant comment on U2s stage costs etc because i dont rate them as a band at all and wouldnt go see them if i had a choice, I did see them in slane and to be honest i'd rather watch the local school choir. but thats my opinion. but my memory was that the tickets were more than €30 a head.
    reports are that Brooks stage was to be massive (all of the Hill i believe with multiple massive screens but I am open to correction) add to this the film crew etc for the documentary that was to be filmed. if you consider this €60 was a reasonable price IMO.

as for him being a saint, well I do know he 100% funds all operational costs of a charity called Team Mates for Kids in the US. thought thats probably tax deductible knowing US tax laws. eitherway any fund raising by the charity actually goes to those they are trying to support. but thats outside the discussion here.

His wife got 125 million? I'll settle for 3 nights with her.
    that was his ex wife sandy not trisha yearwood

Faolchu wrote: »
    reports are that Brooks stage was to be massive (all of the Hill i believe with multiple massive screens but I am open to correction) add to this the film crew etc for the documentary that was to be filmed. if you consider this €60 was a reasonable price IMO.
    U2's 360 tour in croke park had a ridiculously expensive stage setup. Pretty sure it was over €30 though.

As for peopole having to chip in to pay the filming crew which are probably getting in the way of peoples viewing :confused: -if anything I would expect a discount. He was set to make a fortune off dvd sales with loads of "free enthusiastic unpaid extras"

He was set to make a fortune off dvd sales with loads of "free enthusiastic unpaid extras"

you could say teh same about anyone that records their shows no?

like i said i can only agree with you on U2s costs, I've no idea what it cost.

U2's 360 tour in croke park had a ridiculously expensive stage setup. Pretty sure it was over €30 though.

As for peopole having to chip in to pay the filming crew which are probably getting in the way of peoples viewing :confused: -if anything I would expect a discount. He was set to make a fortune off dvd sales with loads of "free enthusiastic unpaid extras"

Ah I was there, think I paid about 60 for standing seats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

Why couldn't Brooks play 3 nights in CP and Billy Ray Cyrus do the other 2 nights in the Aviva?
    Surely this compromise would have satisfied everyone?

Why couldn't Brooks play 3 nights in CP and Billy Ray Cyrus do the other 2 nights in the Aviva?
    Surely this compromise would have satisfied everyone?

coz bill ray is ****e

• Advertisement

Faolchu wrote: »
    you could say teh same about anyone that records their shows no?
    Yes you certainly can. Your comment was the first time I ever heard it being suggested that people should expect to pay extra if a gig is being filmed.

If I was in some celebrity chefs restaurant and they were filming a dvd of his at the time and the crew were disturbing the atmosphere I would certainly not expect to pay extra to cover their wages.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement