Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Gergiev

muddypaws wrote: »

I do find it comical how so many people honestly think this will have an effect on other events being held here. Why would Croke Park not negotiate about the possiblity of holding these extra concerts and not have any next year? Because they already have bookings in place for next year. Again the point about Hyde Park and Springsteen, they are in the middle of a series of concerts there at the moment, it didn't stop artists performing. Things like this do actually happen elsewhere, with licenses refused etc, but guess what, it doesn't make the news because its not actually that important.

That's exactly right, it won't make a sliver of a difference, like the Hyde Park example you mentioned.

Concerts (even ones with 6 figure attendances) get cancelled every so often and everyone moves.

I saw a list the other day of big events that have gone awry in various European cities, in the last decade or so.

Years ago, I was involved in a huge music event in the Netherlands for the Queen's Day (Dutch national holiday) that was cancelled with 2 days notice after a minor accident on the site. Being Irish (!), my first instinct was to the effect - 'is there no way around this, guys?' To which the response was - 'we don't have many laws in this country but the ones we do have are strictly enforced!' And everyone accepted this without murmur or complaint...

But every time something like this happens here, it feeds into the national obsession with self-flagellation...

Anyone that doubts how the law is enforced in the US should have a brush with their own officials, police or immigration officers.

Brooks knows this right well and should have got his ass over here to do the 3 licensed shows. As a previous poster mentioned, Springsteen would have done that and then come back next year for the other 160,000 fans...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Glebee

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Can Nathan Carter take GB 3 nights in CP now :p

With Mrs Browns Boys as a support act doing a live show... Crisis averted. Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

Leaving little things like this slide is the reason the banks got away with so much and people have spend the last few years giving out about it. Now someone has made an effort to stick to pre arranged agreements, and compromised in that effort, and is the bad guy for not deciding to hell with that agreement, lets make us some money!

What right did they have to decide 5 nights was OK without checking if anyone disagreed?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Gergiev

Rasheed wrote: »
    I hope it doesn't affect the chances of the Rugby World Cup being considered for Ireland.

Won't make an iota of a difference to any World Cup bid, that's not how these things work.

Qater were awarded the Soccer World Cup for 2022 and they are the guys who are substantially funding the ISIS terrorist movement in Syria and Iraq.

No one outside this country either knows or cares about those Garth Brooks' shows...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

cycling deserves no priority what so ever, it is a dangerous nucence, therefore Owen Keegan shouldn't be able to force his anti-car agenda on the public, only public transport should get priority with cyclists told to go down the country as they are a danger to pedestrians and to the busses, Owen Keegan is interested in one thing and that is satisfying his ego

Wasn't Keegan the brains behind the pedestrianisation, cobbling, uncobbling, unpedestrianisation and one-way roading of Dun Laoighre? And er... that library.
    visual wrote: »
    Who are DCC representing

Themselves. They are pretty much unaccountable, so if they have hobby-horses they are free to pursue them. At our expense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Huell

I feel sorry for the poor milf's son on the late late :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

cycling deserves no priority what so ever, it is a dangerous nucence, therefore an anti-car anti-business type like Owen Keegan shouldn't be able to force his anti-car agenda on the public, only public transport should get priority with cyclists told to go down the country as they are a danger to pedestrians and to the busses, Owen Keegan is interested in one thing and that is satisfying his ego

Well given that the research done thus far proves that cyclists spend more money in the city center than any other type of commuter to not prioritise cycling would be anti-business. But don't let your blinkers get in the way of the facts.

And I've never seen a cyclist killing a bus driver so I'm not sure how they're really a danger to a six tonne vehicle. More hysteria.

This is off topic and you don't know what you're talking about so I'll leave it there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

What was the timeline between the selling out of gig 3 and the announcement of gig 4 (and subsequently gig 5)?

Aiken says he "would never have run with it" if he had known there would have been problems with the licence but were there discussions between Aiken and DCC in the time between gigs 3 and 4?

If he did seek unofficial approval in the timeframe between those dates being announced his story carries some weight but if only spoke to DCC after 4&5 were announced, his story doesn't make sense does it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

Right then! Am taking this into my own hands and closing the thread - seeing as the mods won't do it:

http://img.allvoices.com/thumbs/event/609/480/56250672-patriot-missile.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Rasheed wrote: »
    I hope it doesn't affect the chances of the Rugby World Cup being considered for Ireland.
    It will effect chancers considering selling tickets for events which they know fine well will be strongly opposed.

I am still wondering if any other gigs which are subject to licencing have ever managed to get insurance in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Wasn't Keegan the brains behind the pedestrianisation, cobbling, uncobbling, unpedestrianisation and one-way roading of Dun Laoighre? And er... that library.

i believe so
    Themselves. They are pretty much unaccountable, so if they have hobby-horses they are free to pursue them. At our expense.

exactly

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

ooter wrote: »
    He has released 8 albums not including the Chris Gaines one..

Eh, so what?

That doesn't negate the fact that he released six albums that have gone diamond status.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

WilyCoyote wrote: »
    Right then! Am taking this into my own hands and closing the thread - seeing as the mods won't do it:

http://img.allvoices.com/thumbs/event/609/480/56250672-patriot-missile.jpg

That'll have no effect, they are Patriot Anti-Missile Missiles.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Well given that the research done thus far proves that cyclists spend more money in the city center than any other type of commuter to not prioritise cycling would be anti-business. But don't let your blinkers get in the way of the facts.

And I've never seen a cyclist killing a bus driver so I'm not sure how they're really a danger to a six tonne vehicle. More hysteria.

This is off topic and you don't know what you're talking about so I'll leave it there.
    i doubt they spend the most money in the city, not prioritising something that is a dangerous nucence isn't anti-business. yes they are a danger to the busses as they cycle out in front of them causing the busses to break hard which will potentially cause injuries, so i'l leave it at that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

If Dublin don't want these concerts, they shouldn't go ahead. Simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Rightwing wrote: »

Right so, I'll instigate legal proceedings to stop them so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

I'm sick to the teeth of hearing the "damage to our international reputation" and "cost to our economy" sound bites and propaganda from the vested interests groups. Zero evidence of either of these but the moronic population lap it all up without any cynicism.

Rightwing wrote: »
    dublin wanted the concerts, a small few didn't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

Bit late now sunshine:
    Garth Brooks injunction man "deeply regrets" lodging the injunction

A Dublin scaffolder who lodged injunction against the Garth Brooks concerts has claimed that he and his family have been subject to death threats.

Brian Duff (43) said he tried to legally block the gigs.

Speaking exclusively to independent.ie today, the father-of-four now says he "deeply regrets" lodging the injunction.

Mr Duff confirmed that he will withdraw the legal proceedings and appealed for the US singer to perform the five concerts later this month.

The proceedings, lodged in the High Court on Monday, were aimed at blocking all five of the gigs from taking place.

The legal action was taken against Aiken Promotions and Croke Park.

Sources close to Dublin City Council insisted that Mr Duff's injunction played a major factor in the Garth Brooks gigs being refused.

Because the licenses breached planning laws, the high court was expected to rule in favour of Mr Duff.

Lord Mayor Christy Burke today said he hopes the decision to withdraw the injunction will lead to a change of heart by Mr Brooks.

"I just want to welcome the decision today by Mr Brian Duff who had an injunction against Croke Park in relation to the concerts, that he called to the Mansion House to see me as Lord Mayor to inform me that he has withdrawn the injunction, Mr Burke said.

The Dublin City Councillor said the decision to withdraw the injunction is an "opening of the door" for Garth Brooks to proceed with the gigs.

"I call on Enda Kenny to intervene and ask Mr Brooks to consider doing the three concerts at the end of the month" he said.

The Lord Mayor condemned the threats made against Mr Duff, the majority of which were made on social media.

"I as Lord Mayor who appeal to the people of Dublin to resist this type of behaviour, it's totally unacceptable" Mr Burke said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Red Nissan wrote: »

You are just a few days too late. ;)

Chuckle chuckle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

no, they have caused problems for their whole community and caused the country to lose out on millions

Can you flesh this out a bit?

Outline the problems caused for;

a) the community

b) the country

Can't wait to hear your reasoned analysis! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Mr_Red

Red Nissan wrote: »

Legal Proceedings against all 5 concerts was withdrawn today

• Registered Users Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

+1

Jesus Christ.

The Germans must have left the country, we have left people like Ring-piece in charge again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

I'm sick to the teeth of hearing the "damage to our international reputation" and "cost to our economy" sound bites and propaganda from the vested interests groups. Zero evidence of either of these but the moronic population lap it all up without any cynicism.

You'd also have to be a moron to not see the basic economic benefit to 400,000 people incl 70,000 tourists spending associated with the concerts. Do you really need 'evidence' pointed out to you euro by euro?

Heres the tax that would've been collected from €800k to begin with anyway http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/music/music-news/moran-bewley-hotel-group-to-refund-all-garth-brooks-bookings-at-a-cost-of-11m-30415882.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭That_Girl_ Is_ A_Cowboy

Bit late now sunshine:

Ah Jesus, my nerves are shot.

=but I mean... the area is beside a stadium... and we are talking about two nights.

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭That_Girl_ Is_ A_Cowboy

Can he do a uturn?

Mr.Brooks if you are reading this please reconsider and do the 3.

I'd have to look for links and can do so if you insist.

But surely the very fact that they kept demanding more and insisting half a million wasn't enough points to greed being at least part of the problem.

Er, that's what they wanted you to provide links for to prove. So far, not a fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Bit late now sunshine:

What a gob****e he must be, this story just gets weirder and weirder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Doesnt he have a song called 'Burning Bridges'?

Looks like he has set fire to them for sure this time.

I wasnt going, am disappointed to see it's ended in such a mess but it isnt the worst thing to have happened in this country over the last few years like some are making out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement