Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Fortyjocks

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    He is doing 2 shows on September 6th. One at 6pm and one at 10.30pm.
    []

The night show tickets are not on sale yet. Unless it is a mistake on the ticketmaster website then it blows the theory apart that he cannot do two shows on the same day. He dismissed this idea out of hand for Ireland, but not the USA apparently

Yep - another example of the washy washy drivel that was sold to the fans here in an outrageous show of brinkmanship- he couldn't do two in Ireland as he was 52 now and he didn't want to give a half assed show despite Aiken noting the option was suggested by Brooks and Aiken agreeing for the DCC to consider it! God the people in Chicago who bought tickets to see him at 10.30 for a second concert on the one day should be worrying he doesn't collapse half way through!! The more you read on this the more it seems like a one man ego trip to achieve the 5 in a row at all costs which ultimately blew up in his face!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

Any nonsense happening up by the stadium tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

Fortyjocks wrote: »
    Yep - another example of the washy washy drivel that was sold to the fans here in an outrageous show of brinkmanship- he couldn't do two in Ireland as he was 52 now and he didn't want to give a half assed show despite Aiken noting the option was suggested by Brooks and Aiken agreeing for the DCC to consider it! God the people in Chicago who bought tickets to see him at 10.30 for a second concert on the one day should be worrying he doesn't collapse half way through!! The more you read on this the more it seems like a one man ego trip to achieve the 5 in a row at all costs which ultimately blew up in his face!

I'm confused.

Are the anti-concerts people saying that Garth Brooks should have played all 5 concerts, including hauling 160,000 people through residential streets on the saturday and Sunday, with all the intensification that would brought?

Is that what you want, now? That intensification?

I've rarely encountered arguments that are more incoherent and confused than *some* of the arguments on here, both from those in favour of GB concerts and against. The above is definitely in that category.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Urgent appeal from AGS on Facebook today - https://www.facebook.com/angardasiochana/posts/10152387288248001?fref=nf
    An Garda Síochána
    4 hrs ·
    Gardaí seeking the public’s assistance !
    Gardaí are seeking the public’s assistance in establishing the whereabouts of a man aged 52 years. He was last seen in the vicinity of Croke Park on the 20th January 2014. This is the day that the Thunder Rolled.
    The man is known to have Friends in Low Places and is often seen Standing Outside the Fire and was due to attend the Dance. When last seen he was heard saying He Ain’t Going Down til the Sun Comes Up and phoning friends say he was Calling Baton rouge.
    He is described as having a southern American accent and is often seen wearing a stetson. He has been known to smash guitars and likes to keep fit by running across stages at concerts.
    Anyone with any information is asked to contact his friends at No Fences to save them Ropin’ in the Wind.
    Extensive inquiries and investigations have been carried out which suggests this male might be in the vicinity of Croke Park for 1 ,2 or possibly 5 days over the week end. This however has now been eliminated as a possibility.
    Anyone who is in a position to assist in the search is requested to assemble at
    The Ultimate Garth Brooks Experience
    Live in Dalymount Park Saturday 26th July!
    In aid of Temple Street Children’s Hospital!
    A photograph of this male is not available at the Garda Press Office at this time but he’s known to show up in boots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

conorh91 wrote: »
    I'm confused.

Are the anti-concerts people saying that Garth Brooks should have played all 5 concerts, including hauling 160,000 people through residential streets on the saturday and Sunday, with all the intensification that would brought?

I've rarely encountered arguments that are more incoherent and confused than *some* of the arguments on here, both from those in favour of GB concerts and against. The above is definitely in that category.

I would like the intensification, yes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Nonsense. The very fact that a city council was phoning a promotor to refuse to licence concerts which 160,000 people were due to attend, just three weeks later, shows that the system was seriously flawed long before Aiken / Garth Brooks got that phone call.
    'SUBJECT TO LICENCE means exactly that. Keegan did NOT sell the tickets and cannot be influenced by how many are sold. It didn't matter that it was just three weeks before the tickets where sold and arrangements where made (hotal bookings etc in Feb.
    No time would have been considered 'right' by the frenzied hordes.
    Calm down and look at it rationally and you will see that.
    I agree and as Timmy Dooley stated, they were all issues which were blindly obvious long before the process even began and so they should have made their position known earlier in the day. It would not have been perjudicial at all.Strawman bs from Keegan. Six calls took place from Croke Park to DCC, from Dec '13 through Feb 2nd and DCC also had many some internal pre-applcaition meetings regarding the concerts taking place and so they should have got their thumb out sooner, instead of acting like all was well and as Peter McKenna says, gave "no hint" that they were not satisfactorily mitigating aspects of the additionality.
    And the complaint would have been that Keegan was prejudiced from the start if he had ruled out two.
    The process has to be gone through fully in EVERYBODY's interests. And it works the same for everybody. C/W singers don't get special passes however much they think that they should.

Nobody is saying he hasn't got the 'power' or 'right' to do his job or apply the process he is paid to but his job and that of DCC, is far more than just taking applications and deciding whether or not to stamp them. Let him, or whoever else thinks it is, get a job in the Driving License centre if that is the measure of them but event licensing is a much different animal and it requires an ability to be able to adequately communicate with people in a much more hands on and through way.

Clearly it was not sufficiently communicated to all concerned that they were not satisfactorily stepping up to the plate with regards to addressing the concerns of the residents.

What would have been different in this process if he had made it 'clearer', when he did he got an ultimatum...5 or nothing. You really need a dose of rationality here and see the truth of what was going on.

I am not tying myself in knots, you're attaching meaning to one sentence which was not there and which I have already pointed out to you:

I am not the only one picking you up on your irrational and stubborn interpretation and your rather selective re-telling of what happened.

As for the 'true extent' remark. 11 forgeries is just over 3% of the total number of objections and the Gardai have since claimed that up to 40% of objections may be dubious (from a sample of 200) and so not sure why you would take issue with that being referred to as a "true extent".
    Please quote or show a source where a Garda said any such thing. Not a selective newspaper quoting as source or somebody quoting the newspaper BUT AN ACTUAL GARDA statement. I refuse to deal with your blatant lies in future posts, I will just skip them.

"Rational" "Calm"?? LOL.

He shat the bed ffs. First of all he tried to do a Dell Boy before a decision had been made to grant any licences, when he offered to put four concerts to Keogan (course him and Keogan are as thick as thieves and so he knew damn well what he would and would not approve). Fine, he now says he regrets that, but it shows that he was hardly level headed at the time. He sent that nonsense letter asking if the Oireachtas committee members who were in the GAA would be asked not to attend the hearings. He regrets that too. How many regrets will come out in due course one wonders. He supported the application for 320,000 people to access the Croke Park area over a 48 period when he had said just 80,000 per day would mean over-intensification. Oh I know, I know.. this was Peter Aiken's idea and Keegan just listened, right? Well, if you believe that, I have some sky hooks I want to sell you. Like the council would put hours of work into this statement, as they clearly did, if it were a non-runner. Keegan acting now like this was not something he would have given time to, is yet another reason why I think the man is lying.

Oh dear is the answer to all of that. All I have seen is a clear and transparent process and issue of licence and two professionals being berated by TD's foaming at the mouth and looking for a head.
    The facts here is that the process held firm as did the licence and the legislation.
    Remember, all he did was say that he would approach Keoghan with the idea of four, showing that the decision was not just is alone and he is far from the maniacal despot as some depict him as.

Oh, so agreeing to legacy funds, legal binding agreements for the residents going forward, increases of up to €125,000 per year for local projects and releasing statements the endorse the Mulvey report.. were all nothing?
    The last I heard of thios was that despite noises from Croke Park the residents had heard nothing from them in relation to it. I personally believe itwas 'optics' in an attempt to get the Brooks deal through.

That makes no sense whatsoever.. as Brooks clearly was *not bluffing*.
    Brooks was never going to play 3, 4 or matinees. The money is now in the lawsuit.

That didn't come from the "Sindo". It came from the hearings.
    The people mentioning it in the hearings where quoting the only source for that story ...the SINDO. Keep up.

I am not a fan of Brooks' music and so the gigs were not "precious" to me.
    Pull the other one.
    Why don't you stop beating about the bush and tell us all who you feel it may have been that put "pressure" on Keegan and also, while you're at it, how this great man, who you described above as being "professional", "rational" and "unbiased" succumb to political pressure, as you are inferring here. Seems to me to be a gross "contradiction" of the type of man you painted earlier. Hardly Serpico, is he.

Was the licence rescinded or altered?...nope. Professional job done, legally and within legislation. That is all we can ask of the professionals running state departments. Their job is now that little bit easier and unfettered...slowly the country is changing.

I honestly can't believe that this thread is still going...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

If it wasn't for the NIMBY brigade, those that used to them them to further their battle with the GAA and newly appointed inept city officials, then 400,000 people would be having a ball over the next few days. 70,000 of them flying in from abroad.

It's such a shame, that our council can think it fine to leave it until three weeks before concerts are to take place, to let a promoter, artist and ticket holders know that they will not be allowing them to go ahead, instead of recognizing that the system was flawed if they could find themselves in such chaotic position in the first place and so fix it at another juncture.

Attempting to blackmail the disappoint performer that same night, by suggesting you won't put the possibility of a 4th night to the planners unless a guarantee and an assurance are given that they will be performed, should they be lucky enough for them to be granted it, would obviously infuriate anyone, let alone an performer, promoter and management team that have been working hard for five months planning the logistics of the five nights.

Sure, as long as Keegan / Keogan don't feel like "complete sell outs" - that's the main thing.

For anyone missing out tonight or over the next five days:

The Tears Of A Clown Fan! :rolleyes:

I honestly can't believe that this thread is still going...
    So your natural instinct is, of course, to bump it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

I'm confused. Are the anti-concerts people saying that Garth Brooks should have played all 5 concerts, including hauling 160,000 people through residential streets on the saturday and Sunday, with all the intensification that would brought?.
    I raised that point initially and cannot believe that the guards would / did agree to allowing 2 shows on the same day. It would be madness, in my opinion.

The point is that Garth Brooks himself wouldn't even consider it. It was 5 consecutive nights or nothing. We then were told that at his age he could not perform twice in a short space of time and the second show would not be as good and some of his fans would be treated differently.

A very valid argument until he fires ahead and does it twice in America.

• Advertisement

So your natural instinct is, of course, to bump it again.

Relax, friend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Fortyjocks

I'm confused.

There is no argument in that post for intensification - it's an example of the rubbish spouted by Brooks to his fans/children that he couldn't do two shows in one day when he has sold tickets today to do just that in Chicago - we need never worry about intensification as he never had any intention of doing anything bar five in a row come hell or high water!

The point is that Garth Brooks himself wouldn't even consider it. It was 5 consecutive nights or nothing. We then were told that at his age he could not perform twice in a short space of time and the second show would not be as good and some of his fans would be treated differently.

A very valid argument until he fires ahead and does it twice in America.
    The fact that you think this is "the point" demonstrates this isn't about the wisdom of the decision or otherwise. It's about a celebrity, for you

Personally, I think if people want to bitch about celebrities, they're more than welcome to do so.

But don't then turn around and try and maintain a genuine interest in planning regulations and decision making, or pretend that that's the main issue here. It isn't. If that were the main issue, people would be furious at DCC for entertaining the matinee idea.

Instead, paradoxically, you have anti-concerts people criticizing Brooks for *turning down five concerts* and the intensification it would have wreaked. They have no interest in criticizing DCC for their role in entertaining the fourth night and matinee ideas.

What Garth Brooks says or does is basically celebrity news. People are missing the bigger picture: what are the Council up to? Are they inept? these are the questions that matter for our city and all the people who use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

bumper234 wrote: »
    Could be worse, 5 O'Clock this evening trying to drive through that area and it swamped with stetson wearing gob****es standing in the middle of the road.

Stetson wearing lemmings .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

italodisco wrote: »
    Yeah whats the craic, are fans still coming up to raise hell ?
    Plenty of them threatened it , just curious to see if they have the brawny to go with all the big talk lol

Can't imagine them getting away with wrecking anything down there, some proper heads live about that place

LOL

It's about a celebrity, for you
    You're a mind reader now - you know better than me what I'm thinking.

If you bothered reading my posts you would see this is almost the first time I have criticised Garth Brooks himself.
    I thought he was lying through his teeth at his famous press conference, after the Oireachtas sham I believed that Peter Aiken was the liar.
    Then again maybe I think that Peter McKenna, Paraic Duffy, Timmy Dooley and Peter Aiken are celebrities as well.
    But don't then turn around and try and maintain a genuine interest in planning regulations and decision making, or pretend that that's the main issue here. It isn't. If that were the main issue, people would be furious at DCC for entertaining the matinee idea.
    You must have missed the part where I said it was madness.

Your pain is palpable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

If you bothered reading my posts you would see this is almost the first time I have criticised Garth Brooks himself.
    I thought he was lying through his teeth at his famous press conference, after the Oireachtas sham I believed that Peter Aiken was the liar.
    Then again maybe I think that Peter McKenna, Paraic Duffy, Timmy Dooley and Peter Aiken are celebrities as well.

You must have missed the part where I said it was madness.

Your pain is palpable

Crying into their 2 pina coladas :D

No, I'm basing it on the words you have used:
    I raised that point initially and cannot believe that the guards would / did agree to allowing 2 shows on the same day. It would be madness, in my opinion.

The point is that Garth Brooks himself wouldn't even consider it. It was 5 consecutive nights or nothing

Clearly, the pertinent issue for you is Brooks. If I am incorrect, and you meant "the instant point" or "the point in this respect" that's fine, none of us write with scientific precision on here and nor should we.

My point is that unless we're interested in garth Brooks as a celebrity, and I personally am not, what do his stupid internal contradictions matter?

I couldn't sit on a bus with the guy, let alone go and buy a ticket to hear him sing.

For some of us, this isn't about Brooks. It's about local government and its capacity to make good decisions for the city, as exemplified by the latest concerts controversy.

I am not dismissing anyone who is upset at not getting to see Garth Brooks, that's a valid disappointment in its own right. But clearly, DCC is the big picture here.

what do his stupid internal contradictions matter?
    They only matter when people try to portray him as a cross between Mother Teresa, Gandhi and Daniel O'Donnell. They have told us, ad nauseum, that he is a man of deep principles, always puts his fans first, treats everyone equally and is not motivated by money.
    The fact that his one price for all tickets did not apply to Ireland and now the revelation that he is prepared to do matinees shows, which also did not apply in Ireland but do in America disproves all of this.

They only matter when people try to portray him as a cross between Mother Teresa, Gandhi and Daniel O'Donnell. They have told us, ad nauseum, that he is a man of deep principles, always puts his fans first, treats everyone equally and is not motivated by money.
    The fact that his one price for all tickets did not apply to Ireland and now the revelation that he is prepared to do matinees shows, which also did not apply in Ireland but do in America disproves all of this.
    It's a legitimate point for what it's worth, but it's effectively a point about a celebrity's moral fibre. I don't see why anyone cares, but then I don't see why anyone would want to hear Garth Brooks in concert either, so what do I know.

All i'm suggesting is people should focus on the big picture. DCC have messed up and all anybody cares about is a country singer's personality flaws.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

Jeez ye are still talking about this crap....build a bridge

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

News Flash.
    We don't give a ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

Hang on for a second, I thought Garth only wanted to play five nights here so bad because only Irish gombeens would want to see such a washed up hasbeen performer? And that he would struggle to sell tickets elsewhere in the world? Then how come people are sleeping out tonight in the hope of getting tickets to one of his TEN nights which he plays the Allstate Arena in Chicago?

After Hours, I will never believe you again :(
    Garth Brooks Ups the Chicago Ante

Chicago is the new Dublin… and then some.

Garth Brooks has added six more shows to his September run in the Windy City, making for a total of ten concerts at Allstate Arena, spread out between September 4-6 and September 11-14. Tickets went on sale Friday at 10:00 a.m. CT for the first four shows, and six new concerts were added before 2:00 p.m.

"As an entertainer, you get asked a lot, 'What are the best cities to play?' Without hesitation, I rattle five or six of the best places to play and that list always includes Chicago," says the country superstar. "It is the perfect city to launch the world tour!"

On July 14th, the singer recruited a fan to announce Chicago as the first stop on the Garth Brooks World Tour With Trisha Yearwood — his first trek in 13 years. It was a bittersweet day, as the gavel finally came down in Dublin, Ireland, ruling against the singer's planned comeback shows there. Brooks was to perform five concerts at the city's Croke Park, but local government officials refused to grant permits for two of the dates. Brooks was adamant that it was all five or nothing, likening the forced decision between shows to choosing between children.

So, the comeback will come stateside. As for what other states besides Illinois, Brooks' subsequent tour dates have yet to be revealed. But he has hinted at gigantic stage production.

"Our job is to go out there and fly the flag for country music," he said at a Nashville press conference earlier this month. "I've seen the world tour stage. It's phenomenal."

Along with the new tour will, of course, be new music. Brooks' upcoming album will likely be out in late November and will for the first time be made available digitally. Still, the best-selling country artist of all time is still holding out on iTunes and other digital retailers and instead plans to sell music via his own website "at a stupid price," he jokes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Henry Sidney

Hang on for a second, I thought Garth only wanted to play five nights here so bad because only Irish gombeens would want to see such a washed up hasbeen performer? And that he would struggle to sell tickets elsewhere in the world? Then how come people are sleeping out tonight in the hope of getting tickets to one of his TEN nights which he plays the Allstate Arena in Chicago?

After Hours, I will never believe you again :(

Allstate Arena has a capacity of 18500 for concerts. Illinois has a population far greater than that of Ireland. That he can only sell 185000 tickets there shows he is regarded as past it and pointless by the vast majority of people there.

Allstate Arena has a capacity of 18500 for concerts. Illinois has a population far greater than that of Ireland. That he can only sell 185000 tickets there shows he is regarded as past it and pointless by the vast majority of people there.

And so it begins :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Henry Sidney

And so it begins :P

What does? The hyperbole from Brooks fans in Ireland who really believe he is of any relevance outside of bogland, farms and trailer parks?

What does?

This does:
    The hyperbole from Brooks fans in Ireland who really believe he is of any relevance outside of bogland, farms and trailer parks?
    Along of course with the scraping of the barrel to try and suggest the man is washed up

Google'ing the stadium capacity and all in attempt to show that the man has no relevance.

It's comcical.

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,767 ✭✭✭hynesie08

This does: Along of course with the scraping of the barrel to try and suggest the man is washed up

Google'ing the stadium capacity and all in attempt to show that the man has no relevance.

It's comcical.

:p

For someone you don't care about, you sure talk about Garth an awful lot.

Then how come people are sleeping out tonight in the hope of getting tickets to one of his TEN nights which he plays the Allstate Arena in Chicago?
    SoCal Music Lover's internet must be down so he had to queue in person :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement