Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

What's comical is that if you had redirected the effort you have put into your A. numerous and B. extremely verbose posts in this thread, you could at this point have produced a novel of quite respectable length.

It would probably not have been a very good book, but it would at least something to be a little bit proud of achieving.

Instead you have this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

And so it begins :P

Wishiwasa, i see sunbabe8 and hardluckwoman gave up days ago.
    This makes you officially the best and angriest Garth Brooks fan on Boards.
    Cmon out of that closet now and no more of your Judas alike denials!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Off to a Gareth Brooks night at a local GAA. Should be a good lol.
    They have his picture on a darth board.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    SoCal Music Lover's internet must be down so he had to queue in person :D

I always imagined it was a woman.

Friends of mine had tickets and are GB fans, but having seen the announcement of 2 shows a day in the States, when he was so adamant he wouldn't do that in Dublin they are fans no longer. Words used were "I wouldn't go and see him now if he was playing in the Mall". It will be interesting if he does come back at the end of the world tour to see how many people buy tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

News Flash.
    We don't give a ****.
    liam7831 wrote: »
    Jeez ye are still talking about this crap....build a bridge
    I honestly can't believe that this thread is still going...
    italodisco wrote: »
    Is there any sane reason why this thread is still going ?

It's over , do your health a favour folks and get on with things .
    dodzy wrote: »
    Can't get my head around how this thread is still so active. It's all been said.......god only knows how many times.
    drumswan wrote: »
    Christ why are you knobheads still talking about this
    Peist2007 wrote: »
    Problem is the topic has been done to death.
    Peist2007 wrote: »
    People are still arguing about this :pac:
    Why are you all still talking about this? What difference does it make? It's over, move on with your lives. There are other issues going on in the world besides Garth Brooks.

This is just since yesterday.

The people who don't want this topic discussed anymore keep bumping the thread. Why bother post here?

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to the "Experimental Music" sub forum to say "I'M NOT INTERESTED" in response to every thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Off to a Gareth Brooks night at a local GAA. Should be a good lol.
    They have his picture on a darth board.
    Like this one, you mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Reformed Character

conorh91 wrote: »
    I've rarely encountered arguments that are more incoherent and confused than *some* of the arguments on here, both from those in favour of GB concerts and against. The above is definitely in that category.

only because you chose to make them incoherent to suit your agenda.

This is just since yesterday.

The people who don't want this topic discussed anymore keep bumping the thread. Why bother post here?

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to the "Experimental Music" sub forum to say "I'M NOT INTERESTED" in response to every thread.

could not just try "I'm not Relevant" , in the name of truth like:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

ardle1 wrote: »
    the best entertainer in the World!
    Lol, seriously??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Just in from a live music event, loads of people redeeming free drinks with photocopies of their Brooks tickets (our offer) in a town routinely and mostly happily ( no fault of the GAA) closed down by the GAA for matches.
    The consensus ; learn the lesson GAA, you exist because of community, not the other way around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 20,982 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Our curfew is 10.30pm - 11pm....his late show Is 10.30pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Because,

Because,

Because he,

Wait.....Honestly i will be able to say it soon without laughing,

Because he

Because he cares about his Irish fans more than anyone else in the whole gosh darned world :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

'It's all about the money, money money!'

Happyman42 wrote: »
    'It's all about the money, money money!'
    This doesn't even make sense.

If it was solely about money, GB would have gone along with the five concerts, matinee idea. He stood to make millions in doing so. Either it's all about money or it isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Flem31

A song for the GB devotees to sing to Garth when he does return ........

I don't need to fall at your feet
    Just 'cause you cut me to the bone
    And I won't miss the way that you kiss me
    We were never carved in stone
    If I don't listen to the talk of the town
    Then maybe I can fool myself..

I'll get over you.. I know I will
    I'll pretend my ship's not sinking
    And I'll tell myself I'm over you
    'cause I'm the king of wishful thinking
    I am the king of wishful thinking

I refuse to give in to my blues
    That's not how it's going to be
    And I deny the tears in my eyes
    I don't want to let you see.. no
    That you have made a hole in my heart
    And now I've got to fool myself..

I'll get over you.. I know I will
    I'll pretend my ship's not sinking
    And I'll tell myself I'm over you
    'cause I'm the king of wishful thinking..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Flem31

Following is a song Garth will add to the setlist

And now, the end is near;
    And so I face the final curtain.
    My friend, I'll say it clear,
    I'll state my case, of which I'm certain.

I've lived a life that's full.
    I've traveled each and ev'ry highway;
    But more, much more than this,
    I did it my way.

Regrets, I've had a few;
    But then again, too few to mention.
    I did what I had to do
    And saw it through without exemption.

I planned each charted course;
    Each careful step along the byway,
    But more, much more than this,
    I did it my way.

Yes, there were times, I'm sure you knew
    When I bit off more than I could chew.
    But through it all, when there was doubt,
    I ate it up and spit it out.
    I faced it all and I stood tall;
    And did it my way.

This doesn't even make sense.

If it was solely about money, GB would have gone along with the five concerts, matinee idea. He stood to make millions in doing so. Either it's all about money or it isn't.
    Give the lawyers time.

Give the lawyers time.
    Don't you think that's a bit far fetched?

Are you suggesting that Garth Brooks decided not to go along with the five concerts idea, so that he could sue his personal friend for money he probably doesn't even have, in litigation that might not even succeed?

Do you believe in conspiracy theories?

It's simple. If it was all about money, there would probably be two concerts happening in Croke Park today and Garth Brooks would be making millions from them.

I would say there is pig-headedness and even stupidity involved, but your claim that "it's all about money" makes absolutely no sense at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Don't you think that's a bit far fetched?

Are you suggesting that Garth Brooks decided not to go along with the five concerts idea, so that he could sue his personal friend for money he probably doesn't even have, in litigation that might not even succeed?

Do you believe in conspiracy theories?

It's simple. If it was all about money, there would probably be two concerts happening in Croke Park today and Garth Brooks would be making millions from them.

I would say there is pig-headedness and even stupidity involved, but your claim that "it's all about money" makes absolutely no sense at all.
    If he was so concerned about his friend's finances wouldn't he have played the 3?
    If he can prove that he wasn't told about the 'subject to licence' clause (as he claimed very loudly at his press conference) then litigation would be a sinch.

If he was so concerned about his friend's finances wouldn't he have played the 3?
    Because it wasn't about money. I believe he felt he was doing the morally correct action, however misguided that may have been. Brooks clearly wasn't concerned about his friend's finances, or his own.
    If he can prove that he wasn't told about the 'subject to licence' clause (as he claimed very loudly at his press conference) then litigation would be a sinch.
    Apparently the contract was of very significant length. I doubt he read it, but I'm sure the licence proviso is in there alright.

The point is that he is friends with Aiken and his family and I doubt there is any intention to sue him, and in any event, litigation was certainly not a factor in cancelling because it's almost unthinkable that Aiken has that kind of cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

'SUBJECT TO LICENCE means exactly that. Keegan did NOT sell the tickets and cannot be influenced by how many are sold. It didn't matter that it was just three weeks before the tickets where sold and arrangements where made (hotal bookings etc in Feb.
    No time would have been considered 'right' by the frenzied hordes.
    Calm down and look at it rationally and you will see that.

A system which results in 160,000 being told that concerts which they are due to attend in less than three weeks time, and which they have held tickets to for five over five months, are cancelled.. is a system that is wholly inadequate. Defend it as much as you like, but it won't make it any less competent.

As for your subject to license argument. It's been done to death and each time your side of the argument falls flat on it's face. Indeed, a condition of event management plans is that the promoter and venue have to have the total expected attendance known so that security and safety measure can be put in place, which is precisely why it's now become common practice to sell tickets for concerts subject to license and in no way should it mean that just because that is is on a ticket, that that person should not be surprised if the concert is cancelled mere weeks before it is take place. It's quite obtuse for you to suggest it tbh.
    And the complaint would have been that Keegan was prejudiced from the start if he had ruled out two.
    The process has to be gone through fully in EVERYBODY's interests. And it works the same for everybody. C/W singers don't get special passes however much they think that they should.

Yet more innocence.

Keegan would NOT have been seen as being prejudicial, not even remotely. This was made clear at the Oireachtas. Owen Keegan made that ridiculous strawman argument, please stop parroting him. He said that if he "refused to take phonecalls" (eh, nobody implied he should have") or that if he told Aiken that he was "totally opposed" to the concerts and that they would "never get a license" (again, nobody implied that he should have done this) that he would be accused of being prejudicial.

Reasonable person: 'Owen, why didn't you hit the man back when he hit you',
    Owen: 'Well you know, had I decided to stab the man to death, you know, I eh, would have ended up getting done for murder, so eh, you know, you can't win, this is the postion I was in'.
    Reasonable person: 'Oh right so, yeah, cause that's the fcuking question I asked you'.

Yet again I'll say it: Slippery than a bar of soap our Mr.Keegan.
    What would have been different in this process if he had made it 'clearer', when he did he got an ultimatum...5 or nothing. You really need a dose of rationality here and see the truth of what was going on.

This makes zero sense, ZERO and makes you look extremely ill informed or at least, that you're pretending to be. It is the JOB of the council during all their meetings to communicate their 'true' position. Otherwise the applicant will be unaware whether or not their mitigation measures are sufficient or not. You are acting as if these people applied for a Driver's License or something ffs. The whole point of statutory meetings and submitting updated event management plans is to mitigate issues and meet conditions which are raised by the council.
    Please quote or show a source where a Garda said any such thing. Not a selective newspaper quoting as source or somebody quoting the newspaper BUT AN ACTUAL GARDA statement. I refuse to deal with your blatant lies in future posts, I will just skip them.

Please stop saying this is a lie, it's boring and also, please stop asking for Garda statements when you know that they haven't released one to date. This not about the 'Sindo' article. Again, quit suggesting it is. Both Keegan and Keogan have stated that the Gardai have informed them that between 36-40% (depending on which of them we listen to) from a sample of 200 may of yet prove to be dubious. Call it lies all you like, but it won't make it so.
    Oh dear is the answer to all of that. All I have seen is a clear and transparent process and issue of licence and two professionals being berated by TD's foaming at the mouth and looking for a head.

Link to TDs "foaming at mouth" please. I want video proof of the foaming. If you can't provide video proof of this, then you are lying and "I refuse to deal with your blatant lies".
    The facts here is that the process held firm as did the licence and the legislation.
    Remember, all he did was say that he would approach Keoghan with the idea of four, showing that the decision was not just is alone and he is far from the maniacal despot as some depict him as.

You are extremely naive now if you believe that Owen Keegan asked for a guarantee from Brooks to do a 4th night, if he didn't know full well that Keogan would sign off on it. Keegan had been working closely with Keogan for months regarding the concerts and there is no chance that he wouldn't know just what Keogan would and would not be open to. Oh and if Keogan is really the "decision maker", then why did Keegan not put the the idea of five nights to him? When he tells Brooks I am willing to put four to Keogan, isn't that making a decision not to put five to him? Hell, even the fact that he won't just put four to Keogan, without tanting Brooks with a 'give me a guarantee and I will is testimony to the fact that Keegan is the one making the ultimately making the decisions.
    The last I heard of thios was that despite noises from Croke Park the residents had heard nothing from them in relation to it. I personally believe itwas 'optics' in an attempt to get the Brooks deal through.

They took part as a means of informing and meeting mitigation (clearly that was ignored / had to be ignored) and so of course it was partly done to make the way clear for further concerts and that naturally would include the imminent ones, that's nothing profound there. However, Croke Park held many meetings with the residents by way of mitigating their concerns before the Mulvey report. They also in fact, held a meeting with the handball alley, which apparently went on until after midnight and all came to an agreement but one person who hadn't attended the meeting refused to agree and so it all fell apart at the 11th hour. I have to say, I really fail to see what else Aiken and Croke Park could have done to address the concerts of residents. Do you know how many resident groups there are? The GAA did what they could do and indeed, they do a great deal for the area. They fund projects, tickets to games and concerts for "locals" and hold events for local kids, and also host an annual event whcch honours the OAPs of the surrounding area. This is not a venue which treats the local residents with disdain. Far from it.

Sure, they are applying for more concerts this year than ever before, but they are entitled to according to ABP. No concerts were held there last year and so it's not as if they exhaust their privilege each year or could be accused of taking the piss in any way. The only people doing that, is the resident splinter groups which constantly are stirring up trouble for the geuine residents, which is why close to the concerts taking place residents themselves were getting petitions in place to show support for all five concerts. Many houses had banners up on their homes in fact, making it clear that they had no issues with the five going ahead.
    Has the licence rescinded or altered?...nope. Professional job done, legally and within legislation. That is all we can ask of the professionals running state departments. Their job is now that little bit easier and unfettered...slowly the country is changing.

The independent review hasn't taken place yet. We have already closed the barn door after the horse has escaped, let's not go sticking the cart in front of him also.
    Pull the other one.

See, you think that accusing me of being a Garth Brooks fan in some way offends me, it doesn't, but the fact that you think it should, says more about your position here than it does about mine.
    The money is now in the lawsuit.

You see: this makes you look like you have no interest it the truth and are here to bang a drum. To suggest that Grath Brooks would make a decision not to play three gigs because he would make more money if he sued, is absurd. You really think a guy embarking on his comeback wants to tour the world with a court case hanging over his head. It's thoughtless, agenda saturated, tripe.
    The people mentioning it in the hearings where quoting the only source for that story ...the SINDO. Keep up.

LOL. No they were not. It's is YOU that needs to "keep up":

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

Pity Owen Keegan only offered to put four concerts to Keogan because of his concerns about not looking like a "complete sell out".
    More rubbish.

You do know that because you say something is rubbish, that it doesn't actually then make it rubbish, no matter how many times the post gets he, backslapped. I suggest you, and whoever else is adamant that Keegan didn't infer that he made an offer of four, rather than the full five, because doing so would mean looking like a "complete sell out" to the residents, buy a extra large pack of cotton ear buds as that is precisely what he infers (at the 0m 28s mark):

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Meanwhile another hefty payment is due in to Keegans bank account on 1st August while people not on the public wage bill around the country
    try and round up a bit of business

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    Meanwhile another hefty payment is due in to Keegans bank account on 1st August while people not on the public wage bill around the country

You mean he will be getting his wages? Getting paid for doing his job? :rolleyes:

Santa Cruz wrote: »

Hopefully there will be a bonus as well, god knows he deserves it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Real Garth Brooks fans should learn from the Dublin process and do everything in their powers to prevent the "two a day" concerts going ahead in Chicago.

To protect his voice and integrity of the brand, like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭NSAman

Real Garth Brooks fans should learn from the Dublin process and do everything in their powers to prevent the "two a day" concerts going ahead in Chicago.

To protect his voice and integrity of the brand, like.

Have you any idea where the Allstate Arena IS in Chicago?... it is outside the city, you have to drive, located on I90 and is an INDOOR concert venue.

Doing a matinee performance is no problem. As cleaning up and providing a proper show is possible. People drive....located on one of the main freeways outside the city.

80,000 people walking to a venue, getting settled and then leaving while another 80,000 people line up would be impossible for Ireland to manage, especially in a built up area. It takes them two days to clean the streets after Patricks day....ffS

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

NSAman wrote: »
    Have you any idea where the Allstate Arena IS in Chicago?... it is outside the city, you have to drive, located on I90 and is an INDOOR concert venue.

Doing a matinee performance is no problem. As cleaning up and providing a proper show is possible. People drive....located on one of the main freeways outside the city.

80,000 people walking to a venue, getting settled and then leaving while another 80,000 people line up would be impossible for Ireland to manage, especially in a built up area. It takes them two days to clean the streets after Patricks day....ffS

Are you saying that he would have had to sing louder in Croke Park? "Protecting his voice" was used by GB fans as a reason why he didn't do the two a day there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement