Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭recyclops

Amanda7326 wrote: »
    is anyone trying to watch his conference at 5 on the website?
    Nothing is coming up for me except the thunder in the background, has it not started yet, or am I doing something wrong?

Yep your early by 24 hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

Kensington wrote: »
    There are solely and exactly three groups at fault here:
    - GAA
    - Aiken
    - Garth Brooks

DCC had the applications for the licences for 11 weeks before they thought it a good idea to let the promoter know that they were refusing to licence two of the five concerts. Two concerts which 160,000 people had bought tickets for and you think they should shoulder no blame here?? You think that it was fine for them to wait until just three weeks before the concerts were to take place to announce this?? Are you serious.

The sycophancy for the DCC around here is shocking.

Keegan could have announced this the night before the first concert and I still think people would saying fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,767 ✭✭✭hynesie08

DCC had the applications for the licences for 11 weeks before they thought it a good idea to let the promoter know that they were refusing to licence two of the five concerts. Two concerts which 160,000 people had bought tickets for and you think they should shoulder no blame here?? You think that it was fine for them to wait until just three weeks before the concerts were to take place to announce this?? Are you serious.

Keegan could have announced this the night before the first concert and I still think people would saying fair play to him.

How long do you think it usually takes between a license application and one being granted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭That_Girl_ Is_ A_Cowboy

Nothing is coming up for me except the thunder in the background, has it not started yet, or am I doing something wrong?

That is happening tomorrow at 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Thats on tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

DCC had the applications for the licences for 11 weeks before they thought it a good idea to let the promoter know that they were refusing to licence two of the five concerts.
    You do realise it's a 10 week process? Maybe Aiken should have submitted it earlier?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

DCC had applications for the licences for 11 weeks before the thought it a good idea to let the promoter know that they were refusing to licence to of the concerts. Two concerts which 160,000 people had bought tickets for and you think they have no blame in this mess?? You think that it was fine for them to wait until just three weeks before the concerts were to take place, to announce this??

Keegan could announced this the night before the first concert and still think people would saying fair play to him.

Except that isn't what happened - by all accounts DCC were in discussions with Aiken many weeks prior at which stage they had made known they felt 5 consecutive nights was a problem.

And forget about that for a moment, ultimately what people want is for the concerts to go ahead as planned - end of. Whether DCC announced they were rejecting the licenses three days prior or three months prior, that would have been no good anyway, according to the "logistical" reasons given by GB/Aiken (not worthwhile to tear down and move setups, equipment, only 5 consecutive nights profitable etc. etc.)... People would still have been blaming DCC, only the closeness of the announcement is a great excuse to bash them further.

Jesus, the fact that Aiken and GB are clutching at straws throwing contradictory statements around is indication enough they bloody knew themselves they're at fault here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Keegan could announced this the night before the first concert and still think people would saying fair play to him.

Will you please read what has to happen statutorily when an application is actually made.
    The DCC have claimed that they told Aitken all along that they had problems with 5 nights, that was all they could do,at that informal stage. They could NOT refuse an application until it was formally made and went through a statuory process that takes anything up to ten weeks.
    Please don't say you are advocating short circuiting that process which was brought into being to prevent local councillors or politicians interfering?
    That is a sectioning, little white jacket with buckles on it, offence imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

hynesie08 wrote: »
    It's tomorrow.

If Tomorrow Never Comes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Can he do a uturn?

Mr.Brooks if you are reading this please reconsider and do the 3.

He's hardly reading this TBH.
    Have you tried emailing him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

Thought he had enough friends in low places to get it sorted. He had a few but they couldn't swing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

bobrawn20 wrote: »
    :confused: What are you getting at here exactly?
    I'd take them with a bit more than a pinch of salt. Mary Lou, Gerry and Christy Burke have been very vocal in the condemnation of the DCC decision.
    Would they kill him - of course not
    Would they frighten him - I believe so.

A bit like your opinion of the Orange Order .....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Can he do a uturn?

Mr.Brooks if you are reading this please reconsider and do the 3.

Try a telegram or Pony Express :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

What is idiotic:
    - Announcing additional concerts with any consideration to any prior agreements (GAA/residents)
    - Selling tickets for concerts you haven't even prepared the license application for (Aiken)
    - Trying to make threats when you chanced your arm and lost (Garth Brooks)
    - Trying to divert the blame when the whole thing falls apart

Ironically, the only ones who followed due process here were the residents in lodging their complaints and concerns with DCC - yet they're being called all sorts!

- GAA
    - Aiken
    - Garth Brooks

Don't take the bait, nox is a troll in my opinion, just posting as illogical and irrational posts as possible to get a reaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

What did I just hear on tv3????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭redarmy

there back ooonnnnnnnnn:D yay

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

TV3 reporting Garth has sent word through Peter Aitken that the ship is still on the way and he will play all 5 concerts if they can be arranged somehow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭bobrawn20

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    I'd take them with a bit more than a pinch of salt. Mary Lou, Gerry and Christy Burke have been very vocal in the condemnation of the DCC decision.
    Would they kill him - of course not
    Would they frighten him - I believe so.

A bit like your opinion of the Orange Order .....

how are they going to frighten him without the threat of killing him?
    good searching by the way

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

TV3 reporting Garth has sent word through Peter Aitken that the ship is still on the way and he will play all 5 concerts if they can be arranged somehow.

FFS.

Not another week of this bull.
    Don't bother, send the boat home.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 askwhat youcando foryourcountry

At end of day, we can put blame all over the place but it is Garth Brooks who cancelled the 3 concerts and possibly 4 concerts. Aiken spoke this morning that Brooks cancelled as he didn't want to disappoint 160000 fans but he has instead disappointed 400000 fans. What twisted logic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Don't bother, send the boat home.

It has not enough diesel to do a u turn so must continue its voyage.

Garth Brooks in letter to Peter Aiken says he will go ahead with five concerts if there's any chance they can be salvaged

He knows fine well that DCC cannot overturn their decision and no licence can be got in the next 3 weeks.
    He obviously loves us again and can now add Ireland to his world tour and blame planning issues for the cancellation of his shows.
    Clever - but unlikely to make any difference

bobrawn20 wrote: »
    how are they going to frighten him without the threat of killing him?
    good searching by the way
    Pinch of salt - no threat was made
    Large pinch of salt - threat was made with no intention to carry out.

Thanks for the searching comment - we share the same opinion on them:D

You do realise it's a 10 week process? Maybe Aiken should have submitted it earlier?

He did. 4 weeks before the deadline.
    Except that isn't what happened - by all accounts DCC were in discussions with Aiken many weeks prior ..

I'm aware of that, but that only makes it worse.
    Whether DCC announced they were rejecting the licenses three days prior or three months prior, that would have been no good anyway, according to the "logistical" reasons given by GB/Aiken (not worthwhile to tear down and move setups, equipment, only 5 consecutive nights profitable etc. etc.)... People would still have been blaming DCC, only the closeness of the announcement is a great excuse to bash them further.
    What you are saying makes absolutely no sense. How would people be blaming the DCC for not moving fast enough, if they had of done. Thy might have been upset that licences were not granted, sure, but if they had made it clear to Aiken when they were talking with him about the concerts, that five would not be licenced, then no way would he have applied for them. This guy is in the business for over 50 years. Why would he waste his time and risk damaging his reputation? It makes no sense.
    Jesus, the fact that Aiken and GB are clutching at straws throwing contradictory statements around is indication enough they bloody knew themselves they're at fault here.
    Are you kidding me? The statements from the DCC are the most contradictory of all. We wouldn't even know that the DCC offered to go to the planners with a view to granting four licences if Aiken hadn't said it. They keep saying that they told Aiken that they would not be granting licences for the five concerts during discussions before the applciations were made, but again, that makes no sense as then why would Aiken apply for them and if the DCC were so adamant about that.
    Happyman42 wrote: »
    The DCC have claimed that they told Aitken all along that they had problems with 5 nights, that was all they could do,at that informal stage. They could NOT refuse an application until it was formally made and went through a statuory process that takes anything up to ten weeks.
    Why would it take them 11 weeks to inform Aiken and the public? It amazes me that people are buying this drivel. Nothing that the DCC says happened makes sense. It doesn't add up. You honestly it takes that long to put applications to the planners?? Sure the DCC told Aiken on the phone July 2nd that they would go to the planners with a view to allowing four concerts if he would guarantee to them in time for the public announcement. The public announcement was the next day! Funny how something like they could do in a matter of hours, initially took them eleven weeks to get around to.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Really should have played the 3 concerts and rearranged the last 2 for the end of the tour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Yer man had to say he regretted the decision to do the injunction. It's the best way for him to keep the mentals calm.

Watch Garth try and save face now. Real slimy guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

I cant take any more disappointment. Are they on or off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

What is idiotic:
    - Announcing additional concerts with any consideration to any prior agreements (GAA/residents)
    - Selling tickets for concerts you haven't even prepared the license application for (Aiken)
    - Trying to make threats when you chanced your arm and lost (Garth Brooks)
    - Trying to divert the blame when the whole thing falls apart

Ironically, the only ones who followed due process here were the residents in lodging their complaints and concerns with DCC - yet they're being called all sorts!

- GAA
    - Aiken
    - Garth Brooks

Nail on the head. Time we grew up and recognised that legal agreements are binding. A bull headed approach was taken to the issue instead of working it out in advance of announcements. Let the GAA go quietly out of the limelight to residents and work out a new agreement and let the licensing be reformed so that you must have a licence before advertising or selling tickets and let there be an urban planning solution to the lockdown. That's all probably far too logical. I'd better ring Joe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

I take any more disappointment. Are they on or off?

Can't see it, maybe new dates for 2 but still unlikely

• Advertisement

Is this letter from Brooks a hoax??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement