Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I agree. I mean I don't like Garth Brooks but a lot of people do. They will be very disappointed in this. We also don't need something like this damaging our global image.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Peter Aiken said himself Brooks will lose money in this, as will he. I believe I read a few days ago that there was no insurance in place in the event of the gigs being cancelled.
    Anything less than publication of the contract can be taken with a bag full of salt.
    Aiken is in the business decades, he'd have had insurance or else is very silly. I've insurance for my phone, never mind a multi-million dollar deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Jester252 wrote: »
    I heard the number of outside ticket s to be 70'000 for the frist two canceled concerts.

So the number of foreign visitors could easily have been over 150,000?

Mental to think that a small grouping of Helen Lovejoy types led by a man with a massive chip on his shoulder about the GAA, and who isn't even from the area can scupper the whole thing.
    International reputation tarnished me bollix. Pure hyperbole.

How is it hyperbole? People bought tickets, booked flights, accommodation etc and are now being left high and dry.

It's precisely the sort of thing that would put people off ever considering a visit to Ireland again in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Aiken's still continuing with his manipulation and bullying tactics instead of taking responsibility for causing this mess I see.

I really feel for those residents. They're going to be a target of hate for weeks now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Yeah, the DCC should support the residents who didn't hold meetings, didn't complain and didnt write letters. In fact this is all the DCC's fault for ignoring the residents who didn't do a damn thing till the licenses were decided.

It's mind bogglingly disdainful and arrogant. No surprise there. .

No mention of breaking an agreement with residents on number of concerts and essentially saying we look forward to only engaging in future with residents that agree with us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Lord Mayor of Dublin on RTE news - just said "There's a sadness across the Nation"....... OMG he's extended that to a sadness across Europe and further afield.
    It's embarrassing for Ireland alright.

He couldn't even say Garth Brooks' name correctly.

How can anyone in this bloody country not know that it's GARTH not GARETH at this point? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Fr. Ned

Silly season is well and truly here when the supposed head of the country is bringing this crap up in Dail Eireann...

This country is a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭DainBramage

Roll on the court cases.

Who will pay ticketmaster for the effort they put in to selling and refunding?
    ?

could not give two ****s if these rip off merchants experience some hassle from this.. hope they honour full payment back to the fans i.e will they include the c/card booking fee etc

on topic dublin lord mayor on the news there nearly about to cry.. 'the nation is saddened.. europe is saddened'

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Knock Off Nigel

Terrible news for the country, I don't listen to this type of music so have no care for it, but the money that people and business's have lost out on between merchandise being made for it to hotels shops restaurants etc...

Absolute disgrace them residents are really sour people

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭BiffoGooner

Anything less than publication of the contract can be taken with a bag full of salt.
    Aiken is in the business decades, he'd have had insurance or else is very silly. I've insurance for my phone, never mind a multi-million dollar deal.

All that will become clear in time I suppose. Can see a very messy public back and forth between the DCC, Aiken and the GAA in the next few weeks.

I think the news that the DCC offered 4 gigs paints them in a poor light. 4 but not 5? That's very strange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

RayM wrote: »
    What's more embarrassing for 'Brand Ireland™' - the concerts being cancelled or the fact that 400,000 Irish people bought tickets to see Garth Brooks in the first place?

Not quite correct. It is stated that as much as 20% are sales from outside Ireland, the biggest percentage ever, according to Aiken. That's 80,000 tourists who would not have come here just for one night.

What's the average spend per tourist per visit?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,573 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Terrible news for the country, I don't listen to this type of music so have no care for it, but the money that people and business's have lost out on between merchandise being made for it to hotels shops restaurants etc...

Absolute disgrace them residents are really sour people

How many containers of cowboy hats had you bought Knock Off Nigel?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Will they be getting different acts to play the 3 dates?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

I think the news that the DCC offered 4 gigs paints them in a poor light. 4 but not 5? That's very strange.

News to me, agreed very strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 dragonfly7

its a disgrace for ireland...looks again like we cant get anything right!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

There are nearly half a million angry culchies baying for blood, be afraid dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭BiffoGooner

There are nearly half a million angry culchies baying for the blood, be afraid dublin.

No Garth Brooks fans in all of Dublin, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Tokarev

Now watch all the shtie hit the Houses fan :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,368 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

dragonfly7 wrote: »
    its a disgrace for ireland...looks again like we cant get anything right!!!

No, it's a disgrace for Aiken promotions, selling tickets to concerts they didn't have a licence for. The blame lies with them and nobody else...well maybe Brooks for throwing his toys out of the pram as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,573 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

There are nearly half a million angry culchies baying for blood, be afraid dublin.

The comments on Ticketmasters facebook page are hilarious. It's like a mob with virtual pitchforks.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Biggest selling T-shirts in Ireland this year.

GARETH BROOKS WORLD TOUR 2014

CROKE PARK DUBLIN JULY 25 CANCELED
    CROKE PARK DUBLIN JULY 26 CANCELED
    CROKE PARK DUBLIN JULY 27 CANCELED
    CROKE PARK DUBLIN JULY 28 CANCELED
    CROKE PARK DUBLIN JULY 29 CANCELED

• Registered Users Posts: 9,767 ✭✭✭hynesie08

So the number of foreign visitors could easily have been over 150,000?

Mental to think that a small grouping of Helen Lovejoy types led by a man with a massive chip on his shoulder about the GAA, and who isn't even from the area can scupper the whole thing.
    It was 70,000 over five days, but that included people who booked from a .co.UK (n.Ireland) website, so the exact number is unknown. And DCC didn't base their decision on this, observations (which anyone, pro gig crowd included could submit) were one of the many factors involved in the decision process.

How is it hyperbole? People bought tickets, booked flights, accommodation etc and are now being left high and dry.

It's precisely the sort of thing that would put people off ever considering a visit to Ireland again in future.
    Because 90% of people considering visiting Ireland will never hear about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

This is the most stupid large news story I can remember.

It's worth over €50 million to the economy, and 1 in 10 people in the country were going. It's a public interest story for sure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Another ignoramus stereotype. Check the addresses of the credit card holders and you will find ample with Dublin addresses.
    Not all the Dubs pend their time listening to Aslan (who are brilliant) or some oul ****e ballad group singing The Boys of the Old Brigade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Joe Duffy..

For sale 300,000 pink cowboy hats. Pm for details.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,486 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Financial impact is huge on hoteliers and such I can imagine.

no pity here, severe hikes in prices for those nights, out to get every penny. Like aiken, its not that they loose all the money but more like they won't get their hands on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

anncoates wrote: »
    Plus completely ignoring residents save the ones that agree with their intentions of treating the area as their own commercial fiefdom.

"Ignoring" residents?? Are you kidding me or what.

The residents in that area have never been ignored, ever. They have always had the ear of the GAA and the authorities with regard to their safety, parking and how events will inconvenience them.

The problem said in his report, there is a hardcore section of them that you will never please:
    'Toxic' Croke Park dispute must end says mediator

A SMALL group of residents living near Croke Park who have an aversion to the GAA are vehemently opposed to any compromise over the future use of the stadium, according to Labour Relations Commission chief executive Kieran Mulvey.

Mulvey, in his role as a mediator between the GAA and Croke Park residents, had a number of separate meetings with both parties, meeting the residents on four occasions for three hours at a time, and says that while the majority were in favour of compromise over issues going forward, a small group of people who are ill-disposed towards the GAA appeared to want no progress at all. This included the staging of any concerts in the years ahead.

Mulvey was asked to mediate after a meeting of the GAA and residents broke down over what was described as a complete lack of trust on the part of residents as to how events are organised at the stadium. GAA director-general Páraic Duffy asked Mulvey to intervene with the goal of targeting "long-term agreement around the staging of events at Croke Park".

Mulvey's report recommended a Garth Brooks legacy fund of €500,000 for the local community which the GAA said they would fund. Mulvey was also critical of the GAA over the Garth Brooks saga, agreeing with residents that five nights was excessive. He said the concerts would have a negative impact on the quality of life of nearby residents. However, he called on all sides to work together.

"This toxic relationship cannot continue - both parties can spend the next 10 years attacking one another, but that will achieve nothing," Mulvey said. "The fear is there will be no regeneration of Croke Park Villas and no further input from Croke Park itself into the area.

So to help gain trust, I recommended that between 2015 and 2016 the GAA would reduce the number of shows to three or less and I thought both parties could work from there." In the region of 400,000 tickets were sold for five Garth Brooks concert dates later this month but with about 27,000 households in the vicinity, there were a number of objections and concersn over those concerts. One problem was that residents made their objections known through different units and associations, rather than under one umbrella.

"Most residents wanted a compromise but there were some hardliners represented that just wanted no concert ever," Mulvey told the "I think that most residents would have lived with a compromise looking forward and my report certainly identified future arrangements that would be necessary. The report gave a structure and procedure, it put limits on concerts. It recommended that the community would go ahead with the regeneration of the Ballybough Road which is an urban eyesore.

"To a large degree, the four meetings I had with the residents, aside from my meetings with Croke Park, City Council and the Gardaí were all positive. But I came across a small group of residents and no matter what you did, you wouldn't satisfy them. If you tore down the stadium and gave them all a free brick they would probably complain about the site.

"I repeat, though, that most residents wanted a deal. I felt that the community group (Croke Park Area Residents Association) that Pat Gates led, for example, recognised that an agreement limiting the number of concerts, limiting the community and nuisance problems would be a positive and my report delivered that.

"The GAA recognised the need to establish new relations with the locals and Páraic Duffy asked me to identify those. Most residents felt it was a fair report but I saw at first hand that there was also an anti-Croke Park agenda among a few individuals with an antipathy to the GAA. These people kept bringing up the history with Croke Park. I said I would take all that on board, but I added that we simply had to move on. They kept saying: 'We don't trust them. We're never going to trust them'.

It has emerged that Brooks had plans to produce a high-tech video based on the sell-out shows, which were to be shown on US tv and would have hugely boosted Irish tourism. Special production facilities had been in place for a shoot over five gigs. Meanwhile, the Dublin Chamber of Commerce has said the benefit to the economy will drop from an estimated €50m to €30m as a result of the two concerts being jettisoned.

With up to 70,000 visitors preparing to jet into Ireland, tourism sources said those people would now meet a country that advertises concerts that they couldn't guarantee. And many of these would not receive refunds for their hotel and booking deposits.

The small minority of the hardcore residents in that area that Mulvey speaks of, have always attempted to milk far and above what was fair and in doing so, given the decent residents down there a bad name by association. It has worked for them many many times. You couldn't please Eamon O'Brien of the streets committee if you tried. Here is just one example of how they push their luck far and above what anybody could reasonable believe are fair requests for residents.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The lawyers down the Four Goldmines will be the main beneficiaries of this fiasco.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

It would if Garth Brooks and his touring schedule were on their radar...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement