Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

ebbsy wrote: »
    Go Garth ! Milk us for all your worth me boy !

Like this.

I mean, what does this even mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

ardle1 wrote: »
    No not at all.
    Rté six one news Today was expertly and professionally produced and edited, and I hope it is seen around the World! then people will have a better idea of how the real Irish feel about this whole episode.... The disgust and shame of everyone on six one Today was clearly shown, and not one off them blamed GB for this fiasco, and why would they?

Exactly. He was completely right to cancel. What bunch of red knecked incompetents this country is now portraying itself to be on the international stage. A few pathetic small minded bigoted nimbys get to wag the tail of the whole country. He is probably wondering why he would want to visit such a pitiful little country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

Don't entirely buy the fouth night thing. IF they were going to give him a fourth night there'd be no reason whatsoever not to give a fifth - probably the usual messing around of "we'll firm it up when ya get here".

Yeah, but Keegan wanted to be the big man don't you know. If he could refuse at least one concert, he could at least be the hero a likkle bit.

Love how people keep saying fair play to the DCC sticking by the rules, when they all but offered him licences for four concerts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

Which room was this? Aiken hasn't left Ireland.
    I don't know if it was it the sitting room or the conservatory, or maybe the kitchen - I'm not familiar with the layout of Garth Brooks' house.
    But they met face to face yesterday.
    Mr Aiken left Ireland early this morning on a flight to the US, so that he could meet the country and western singer face-to-face.

link from July 8th

If I find out which room it was I'll let you know.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

The Irish Navy should intercept the ships and sink them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Hmmm, I can feel a statement coming from 'the powers that be' caving to his pleas for his 5 concerts:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Flem31

When the Pope was here in 1979 he said mass to over 1m people in the Phoenix Park. Why not get it all over and done with, all 400,00 so see our new God in the one night near the papal cross. Job done.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    This gentleman lives a minutes walk from O Connell St in North Cumberland St where the old labour exchange used be. O Brien the Handball gent who is also an objector lives in Castleknock.
    Really what credibility did Keegan give to these complaints.
    For a decision of such economic importance he should have done more research before making a decision.
    Did he check as to how many if any complaints the Gardai had to deal with about Croke Park.
    Did he really believe that the average Garth Brooks fan was going to cut loose around the place.

To the bolded bit, maybe not much at all. He may not have needed to heed these complaints to come to the conclusion that it was far too disruptive on the area to have 5 concerts in a row. How do you know he didn't do his research?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Rightwing wrote: »
    You are just a few days too late. ;)

Chuckle chuckle.

Maybe not so in this toppsie turvie story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

nm wrote: »
    Hopefully it works for the good of the people

Not for this person it won't be. The precedent that our laws can be broken or circumvented on a whim will set this country back years. And never mind what those outside think, right here in our own country we will be living jokes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Rightwing wrote: »
    It's Brooks v Ireland.

He'll get his way. ;)

Just bully the Irish, that should do it.

There are 1000s upon 1000s more Irish people want it Garths way than don't.

It's more like:

Garth, Aikens, 330,000 Irish people, 70,000 tourists and 100s of Irish businesses

v.

Keegan and 350 residents of CP area (disclaimer: may not actually live or be from CP area, and might include forgeries).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

good at Stoke and OK at Spurs but what's he ever done for Ireland ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

I feel a civil war coming on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

Piliger wrote: »
    Exactly. He was completely right to cancel. What bunch of red knecked incompetents this country is now portraying itself to be on the international stage.

Careful now, don't let your back get too welty with the self-flagellation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Anything to be said for another mass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

It's more like:

Garth, Aikens, 330,000 Irish people, 70,000 tourists and 100s of Irish businesses

v.

Keegan and 350 residents of CP area (disclaimer: might not actually live or be from CP area, and might include forgeries).

You can add about 40 to that number from my friends and family who don't think we should give in to the blusterings of a bully who can't face making a compromise.

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    I don't know if it was it the sitting room or the conservatory, or maybe the kitchen - I'm not familiar with the layout of Garth Brooks' house.
    But they met face to face yesterday.

link from July 8th

If I find out which room it was I'll let you know.

LOL. He may have flown out today but he never left Ireland yesterday. He considered it.

Him being interviewed on RTE yesterday in his office I thought would have been a give away :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Im really looking forward to my refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Which room was this? Aiken hasn't left Ireland.

Correct. Aiken did not to to Garth to make him change his mind, Peter does not know where that story of him flying over to Oklahoma to appeal to the singer to change his mind, it never happened.

B0jangles wrote: »
    You can add about 40 to that number from my friends and family who don't think we should give in to the blusterings of a bully who can't face making a compromise.

Cool. Getting there, just need another 329,960 Irish people and you'll be even.

No actually, as I forgot the 50 - 100 or whatever that number was of the other Croke Park residents group that are now saying they weren't asked and want the concerts to go ahead.

So back to square one.. nightmare.

No matter what way you cut it, saying cancellation of these concerts is a win for the "people of Ireland" is complete rubbish, it's the opposite or if anything, a win for a tiny amount of people at a massive cost to a much larger amount of people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Hang on a moment, Garth said he was informed the concerts were cancelled, but weren't we all told that Garth was the one that made that call?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

It's more like:

v.

Keegan and 350 residents of CP area (disclaimer: may not actually live or be from CP area, and might include forgeries).

There's around 4 million of us who don't give a shyte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Cool. Getting there, just need another 329,960 Irish people and you'll be even.

No actually, as I forgot the 50 - 100 or whatever that number was of the other Croke Park residents group that are now saying they weren't asked and want the concerts to go ahead.

So back to square one.. nightmare.

No matter what way you cut it, saying cancellation of these concerts is a win for the "people of Ireland" is complete rubbish, it's the opposite.

All that has to happen is for Garth to accept a compromise.

Like grown-ups are expected to do all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Ah I dont know what to do. I need to apply for my dole holidays this week to see him for 5 days. Will I or wont I ?

Thats fine too

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

If this gets the go ahead then we will have done far worse damage to our reputation. Allowing someone overturn our planning decisions because of money. Hmmm that sounds very familiar and that ended well didn't it.

As for Brooks crocodile tears I have corrected his statement into what it really means.
    "I cannot begin to tell you how badly my wallet heart is breaking is awaiting you all to bend over right now"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭steveone

Im well surprised that cork hasn't picked up on it and brought it to their local ground. Or even semple...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭oceanman

well said at last!

B0jangles wrote: »
    All that has to happen is for Garth to accept a compromise.

Like grown-ups are expected to do all the time.

You're not wrong there.

On a side note is this the busiest thread of all time on boards? Has to be up there.

• Advertisement

gandalf wrote: »
    If this gets the go ahead then we will have done far worse damage to our reputation. Allowing someone overturn our planning decisions because of money. Hmmm that sounds very familiar and that ended well didn't it.
    LOL.

The DCC all but offered him four concerts. Sure they clealry don't give a hoot for the planning laws either :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement