Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

LOL. He may have flown out today but he never left Ireland yesterday. He considered it.

Him being interviewed on RTE yesterday in his office I thought would have been a give away :p
    Well according to Kieran Mulvey he was on a flight yesterday.
    Labour Relations Commission chief executive Kieran Mulvey told Newstalk this morning that Aiken was on the way after emails and phone calls between the promoter and the country singer failed to lead to a solution.

the Journal Tues at 10.14am

If Mulvey is wrong then he should not be anywhere near this.
    I didn't see him on RTE yesterday, I was listening to K-Law 101,(Oklahoma's best country station), all day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Only way concerts will go ahead is if Angela Merkel tells them to..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

hynesie08 wrote: »
    It's tomorrow.

What if tomorrow never comes?

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

nm wrote: »
    On a side note is this the busiest thread of all time on boards? Has to be up there.
    I reckon "I found a safe" thread is still ahead. Brilliant entertainment. Especially as everyone was on the same side.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

steveone wrote: »
    Im well surprised that cork hasn't picked up on it and brought it to their local ground. Or even semple...

Our big stadium is falling down and it would collapse under that weight of people, next year we will have a shinny new one and we'll steal all Dublin's concerts and gigs and stuff, so we will.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    I didn't see him on RTE yesterday..
    Pity.. as you could have said he was the last one you thought you'd see there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

LOL.

The DCC all but offered him four concerts. Sure they clealry don't give a hoot for the planning laws either :p

Probably because you have so called public representatives over stepping their remit and putting pressure onto a decision that they know they shouldn't get involved with.

Fianna Fail sure its standard operating procedure for them again eh. So much for their new page.

Sinn Fein, well we know they have an a la carte attitude to law and order and this proves it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭h2005

That letter is comical. So it wasn't Brooks that cancelled the concerts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

I want this thread cancelled. All of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Nothing has changed whatsoever? This is like a bad breakup. We need some time apart Gareth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

LOL.

The DCC all but offered him four concerts. Sure they clealry don't give a hoot for the planning laws either :p

4 nights being possible was briefly discussed earlier in the process BEFORE an application was made. Aitken refused to take on board DCC's problems with 5 and insisted on applying for 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭onlyme!

He hasn't gone away you know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

h2005 wrote: »
    That letter is comical. So it wasn't Brooks that cancelled the concerts?

It's like when a kid throws a tantrum and says they're going to run away, so they put a few things in a little bag and head towards the door, all the time shouting about how they are "going now", and "you'll be sorry when I'm gone", and "you'll never see me again", getting slower and slower as they realise their childish threats are not working.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    4 nights being possible was briefly discussed earlier in the process BEFORE an application was made.

Quit embarrassing yourself.

The offer was made on July 2nd. Last bloody week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

This Brooks guy is some piece of work for sure! Now he says his heart is breaking because of the issue with the unlicensed concerts - pure brinksmanship at this stage on his part, absolving himself of any role in the debacle ! As for his heartache, he will be cured miraculously if his paycheque for the gigs reads
    400,000 paying customers instead of 240,000 ! Crassness personified ! It defied logic and reason that anyone would expect the Government to enact emergency legislation for the 2 contentious concerts, thereby overruling it's own planning regulations and the Dublin city manager ! That such trivia as country and western music concerts should occupy Dail time and attention is in itself beyond belief. Kenny is totally correct in refusing to get involved in planning issues at local level - we have had enough of that over the years God knows ! A caller on Liveline this afternoon actually proposed that new Labour leader Joan Burton should raise the issue with the Taoiseach in the context of their negotiations on the review of government programme !
    As for the financial loss to businesses, most of them will have inflated their prices for the 5 days as happens for all major events in the capital. It's a case of having his cake and eating it as far as Mr Brooks is concerned. It's still his way or no way - nothing has changed despite the smarmy tone of his letter this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Tarzana wrote: »
    Can you flesh this out a bit?

Outline the problems caused for;

a) the community

b) the country

Can't wait to hear your reasoned analysis!

for the community, a severe denting of the relationship between the residents and the GAA, their could be problems with residents trying to use GAA facilities, possible removal of investment by the GAA
    for the country, lost revenue and tourism, and the possibility of event organisers deciding not to put on events here.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Quit embarrassing yourself.

The offer was made on July 2nd. Last bloody week!

Apologies, that mean't to read 'before a decision was made'. Point still stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭loh_oro

The phrase "only in Ireland" comes to mind

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I just don't understand his logic. He says he won't play anything less that five dates because he doesn't want to disappoint the 80,000 people on the last day but he's been given the chance to play to 320,000 people over four days and is willing to let them down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

I felt sorry for ticket holders yesterday, but even more sorry today. This letter is another false hope.
    Its like a rollercoaster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

I just don't understand his logic. He says he won't play anything less that five dates because he doesn't want to disappoint the 80,000 people on the last day but he's been given the chance to play to 320,000 people over four days and is willing to let them down.

What about the death threats received by a certain CP resident because of his objections to the gigs.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/garth-brooks-injunction-man-my-family-have-received-death-threats-over-concert-fiasco-30419222.html

Poor guy bullied into submission.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Fentdog84

Simple solution..play the 3 concerts and come back and play the other 2 concerts at a later date

You know who I feel most sorry for in all this? That SoCal poster here. If the gigs go ahead she'll have to come to Ireland having swore up and down that Ireland was dead to her and she'd never step foot here again.

Fentdog84 wrote: »
    Simple solution..play the 3 concerts and come back and play the other 2 concerts at a later date

Simple for normal people like me and you, bullies like Garth Brooks clearly don't do compromises.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Fentdog84

Simple for normal people like me and you, bullies like Garth Brooks clearly don't do compromises.

ya his ego is clearly off the charts. holding the whole country to ransom. He needs to accept the councils decision as he is going to be the one coming out looking the worst from this

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

This Brooks guy is some piece of work for sure! Now he says his heart is breaking because of the issue with the unlicensed concerts - pure brinksmanship at this stage on his part, absolving himself of any role in the debacle ! As for his heartache, he will be cured miraculously if his paycheque for the gigs reads
    400,000 paying customers instead of 240,000 ! Crassness personified ! It defied logic and reason that anyone would expect the Government to enact emergency legislation for the 2 contentious concerts, thereby overruling it's own planning regulations and the Dublin city manager ! That such trivia as country and western music concerts should occupy Dail time and attention is in itself beyond belief. Kenny is totally correct in refusing to get involved in planning issues at local level - we have had enough of that over the years God knows ! A caller on Liveline this afternoon actually proposed that new Labour leader Joan Burton should raise the issue with the Taoiseach in the context of their negotiations on the review of government programme !
    As for the financial loss to businesses, most of them will have inflated their prices for the 5 days as happens for all major events in the capital. It's a case of having his cake and eating it as far as Mr Brooks is concerned. It's still his way or no way - nothing has changed despite the smarmy tone of his letter this evening.
    the current city manager deserves to be over ruled, keep over ruling his decisians and he might quit with a bit of luck

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

nm wrote: »
    There are 1000s upon 1000s more Irish people want it Garths way than don't.

It's more like:

Garth, Aikens, 330,000 Irish people, 70,000 tourists and 100s of Irish businesses

v.

Keegan and 350 residents of CP area (disclaimer: may not actually live or be from CP area, and might include forgeries).
    We need a poll......

• Registered Users Posts: 12,156 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Flem31 wrote: »
    When the Pope was here in 1979 he said mass to over 1m people in the Phoenix Park. Why not get it all over and done with, all 400,00 so see our new God in the one night near the papal cross. Job done.....

I'll tell ya one thing, if the pope wanted to do 5 nights of mass in Croke Park, there'd be no objections.

They are still 80,000 of his fans and why shouldn't he try his best to make sure everyone that bought a ticket, gets to see him perform. It's an admirable thing. It's the opposite of greed. I bet if you saw the profit and loss on this, any money that he would make playing that extra night, would be pocket change to the guy and so his decision could hardly be down to greed.

I hope they re offer the four and he plays the last night, for the 80,000 other ticket holders, at some point during his world tour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭onlyme!

Grandeeod wrote: »
    I'll tell ya one thing, if the pope wanted to do 5 nights of mass in Croke Park, there'd be no objections.

but he is entertaining!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement