Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

They are still 80,000 of his fans and why shouldn't he try his best to make sure everyone that bought a ticket, gets to see him perform. It's an admirable thing. It's the opposite of greed. I bet if you saw the profit and loss on this, any money that he would make playing that extra night, would be pocket change to the guy and so his decision could hardly be down to greed.

I hope they re offer the four and he plays the last night, for the 80,000 other ticket holders, at some point during his world tour.

Don't make me laugh. You are deluded by the lustre of your demi-god. I hope he is refused the right play her again. Not for the fans. I feel sorry for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I hope they re offer the four and he plays the last night, for the 80,000 other ticket holders, at some point during his world tour.

That, or even the 3 with 2 deferred till next year (assuming licences are obtained) would be the best compromise that should have been the solution to this mess last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

I wonder who's account all the funds were 'resting' in during this time.. a nice tidy sum of interest accrued.....
    apart from that.. the residents have every right.
    The only thing embarrassing in this whole thing is the people queuing up for tickets.
    I hope he never sets foot in ireland and that all his music is from now on banned.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

der fuher garth

Probably been said earlier but I'm only joining the thread again now but if the original decision is overturned, either by Keegan or because of interference by politicians, that will be an even bigger embarrassment to the country than any cancelled concert would ever be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

Fentdog84 wrote: »
    ya his ego is clearly off the charts. holding the whole country to ransom. He needs to accept the councils decision as he is going to be the one coming out looking the worst from this

I think he has come off really badly already, but it appears some GB fans will defend him to the end and blame everyone else regardless. The council made a very fair decision in the first instance I think. It's foolish and/or arrogant to attempt to hold 5 concerts in a row and leave it so late to engage with the council. A big part of the blame is on the promoters- for the extra 2 anyway, GB himself is to blame for the cancellation of the allowed 3. While I feel sorry for most of the fans (excluding the crazy death threat making ones) they should never have ploughed on with organising the concerts when they knew or certainly should have known how risky it was getting the licences.

So who cancelled the concerts then? If Brooks only found out yesterday that they were cancelled, who did the cancelling? Sorry if asked/answered already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Apologies, that mean't to read 'before a decision was made'. Point still stands.

Your point does not stand.

You're saying that they were only granted three, because Brooks made them go to the planners with five... but that makes NO sense.

First of all, why would going to the planners with five, be different from going to the planners with four.. surely the amount of nights be applied for is meaningless. Or at least it should be.

Secondly, why are they going to the planners on July 2nd with anything, it's three weeks before the concerts.

Thirdly, on July 2nd DCC told Aiken in the phone call that their decision was going to be the next day (which it was) and so how can planners be making decisions in such a short space of time? If they can (and clearly they can, as they did) then why could they have not done this much sooner.

It appears to me that people are just believing the most outlandish waffle from DCC and not questioning it for a second, while everything Aiken and Brooks says, is being twisted to the high heavens and the pair of them are being seen as just greedy chancers who don't give a crap about anyone only themselves.

You'd see pickpockets get better eulogies.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,904 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

the current city manager deserves to be over ruled, keep over ruling his decisians and he might quit with a bit of luck

And how would you propose doing that? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭onlyme!

So who cancelled the concerts then? If Brooks only found out yesterday that they were cancelled, who did the cancelling? Sorry if asked/answered already.

"It is with great regret that Aiken Promotions today announce that the 5 concert Garth Brooks Comeback Special Event at Croke Park has been cancelled. No concerts will take place. The ticket return process will be outlined tomorrow. Aiken Promotions have exhausted all avenues regarding the staging of this event. We are very disappointed for the 400,000 fans who purchased tickets for The Garth Brooks Comeback Special Event

• Advertisement

Did Aiken/Brooks go to the planners in between the third concert selling out and the forth being announced?

onlyme! wrote: »
    "It is with great regret that Aiken Promotions today announce that the 5 concert Garth Brooks Comeback Special Event at Croke Park has been cancelled. No concerts will take place. The ticket return process will be outlined tomorrow. Aiken Promotions have exhausted all avenues regarding the staging of this event. We are very disappointed for the 400,000 fans who purchased tickets for The Garth Brooks Comeback Special Event

Yeah, I know that but wasn't it reported that it was because Brooks wasn't prepared to do 3 and it was his decision to cancel. Today's email reads 'they were cancelled' as if he didn't have anything to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

Sala wrote: »
    I think he has come off really badly already, but it appears some GB fans will defend him to the end and blame everyone else regardless. The council made a very fair decision in the first instance I think. It's foolish and/or arrogant to attempt to hold 5 concerts in a row and leave it so late to engage with the council. A big part of the blame is on the promoters- for the extra 2 anyway, GB himself is to blame for the cancellation of the allowed 3. While I feel sorry for most of the fans (excluding the crazy death threat making ones) they should never have ploughed on with organising the concerts when they knew or certainly should have known how risky it was getting the licences.
    Yeah but three months too late. That is where this mess begins and ends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Your point does not stand.

You're saying that they were only granted three, because Brooks made them go to the planners with five... but that makes NO sense.

First of all, why would going to the planners with five, be different from going to the planners with four.. surely the amount of nights be applied for is meaningless. Or at least it should be.

Secondly, why are they going to the planners on July 2nd with anything, it's three weeks before the concerts.

Thirdly, on July 2nd DCC told Aiken in the phone call that their decision was going to be the next day (which it was) and so how can planners be making decisions in such a short space of time? If they can (and clearly they can, as they did) then why could they have not done this much sooner.

It appears to me that people are just believing the most outlandish waffle from DCC and not questioning it for a second, while everything Aiken and Brooks says, is being twisted to the high heavens and the pair of them are being seen as just greedy chancers who don't give a crap about anyone only themselves.

You'd see pickpockets get better eulogies.

Because they are the people who make the decisions in the best interests of all parties?

That wasn't good enough for the greedy though, they thought they (and still do obviously) could bluster and bully their way to 5 nights.

mbur wrote: »

They only got the application for the licence in mid-April and the law outlines timelines for making these decisions. One way to have gotten a decision earlier would have been for Aiken to submit the application earlier.

And how would you propose doing that? :rolleyes:

Send him death threats, that seems to be the way to do things in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Can the DCC not just tear up the papers from last week and grant 5 licences?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭ebbsy

djPSB wrote: »
    Anything to be said for another mass.

+1

And ten male hairies ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

How you holding up HLW? Are you on the brandy for your nerves yet?

The can. But they'll be up in court for doing so pretty quickly I'd imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

mbur wrote: »

They made the decision to wait until April to apply for licences, presumably fully aware the venue is only preapproved for three concerts per year. They wanted to hold five in a row, after three have already been held- any promoter should have been aware this could cause problems and they should have engaged with DCC much earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Rasheed wrote: »

Sometimes I thank God..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Rasheed wrote: »

This is a time I wish I was a drinker.

Nice summary of where we are now

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/music/music-news/five-questions-garth-brooks-letter-to-aiken-and-ireland-raises-30419774.html

(I feel dirty for kind of praising anything out of the Indo)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

This is a time I wish I was a drinker.

I'll have one for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

They could try but they'd find themselves presented with a legal injunction almost immediately and would be unable to grant any further licenses for the concerts until the matter was resolved by the courts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

There are no levels of absurdity this story can't reach

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/486935680439054336

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

ThisRegard wrote: »

That's ridiculous.

"Here lads, we know your daily lives are a bit messed up with these concerts, so do you want to be shacked up in a hotel in Carlow for a week?"

ThisRegard wrote: »

The burglars of Dublin are holding their breaths!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,495 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Sala wrote: »
    They made the decision to wait until April to apply for licences, presumably fully aware the venue is only preapproved for three concerts per year. They wanted to hold five in a row, after three have already been held- any promoter should have been aware this could cause problems and they should have engaged with DCC much earlier.

Its allowed hold 3 without a licence anymore than that they have to apply for a licence.

there is no limit to the amount of concerts croke park can hold in a year but they all have to have a licence.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement