Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

dharma200 wrote: »
    I wonder who's account all the funds were 'resting' in during this time.. a nice tidy sum of interest accrued.....
    apart from that.. the residents have every right.
    The only thing embarrassing in this whole thing is the people queuing up for tickets.
    I hope he never sets foot in ireland and that all his music is from now on banned.....
    other residents disagree, way over the top its only some music no need for it to be banned just because an artist decides all his fans see him or none

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

That's ridiculous.

"Here lads, we know your daily lives are a bit messed up with these concerts, so do you want to be shacked up in a hotel in Carlow for a week?"

Yup forget about getting to work having friends over, going about your daily business.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

That's ridiculous.

"Here lads, we know your daily lives are a bit messed up with these concerts, so do you want to be shacked up in a hotel in Carlow for a week?"
    Whats wrong with Carlow laad!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

other residents disagree, way over the top its only some music no need for it to be banned just because an artist decides all his fans see him or none

I said it before, trying to sort out the dispute with the residents and Croke Park on the basis of this one gig is not going to work.
    If the country has learned anything from this exploding, it is that there is a long running issue that has come to a head here, primarily because of greed and a venue and promoter who think that they can just bully their way through.
    Croke Park has shot themselves in the foot massively here and it is also clear that the GAA is divided between corporate concerns, where the bottom line is god and a community based organisation.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Because they are the people who make the decisions in the best interests of themselves?

That wasn't good enough for the GAA and the promotors though, they thought they (and still do obviously) think they could have offered a solution that would mean they could have got on their way to 5 nights.

fixed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

That wasn't good enough for the greedy though, they thought they (and still do obviously) could bluster and bully their way to 5 nights.

It's not greedy to want to see all the people who have bought tickets, get to see you perform.

Brooks and Aiken are both very rich men ffs. Quit with this absurdity that behind the scenes their rubbing their hands in Mr.Burns like fashion.

You could power Pat Kenny's funny looking motorbike for a year with the amount of wasted energy that has gone into posting the unjust cynicism in this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

They've tried the hotel thing before for people in similar situations, and it seems to have worked quite well.

It's not greedy to want to see all the people who have bought tickets, get to see you perform.

What do Brooks and Aitken do about people who can't get tickets for other sold out shows?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭h2005

I said it before, trying to sort out the dispute with the residents and Croke Park on the basis of this one gig is not going to work.
    If the country has learned anything from this exploding, it is that there is a long running issue that has come to a head here, primarily because of greed and a venue and promoter who think that they can just bully their way through.
    Croke Park has shot themselves in the foot massively here and it is also clear that the GAA is divided between corporate concerns, where the bottom line is god and a community based organisation.

A number of the residents aren't without fault here either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

onlyme! wrote: »
    "It is with great regret that Aiken Promotions today announce that the 5 concert Garth Brooks Comeback Special Event at Croke Park has been cancelled. No concerts will take place. The ticket return process will be outlined tomorrow. Aiken Promotions have exhausted all avenues regarding the staging of this event. We are very disappointed for the 400,000 fans who purchased tickets for The Garth Brooks Comeback Special Event

It might just be me but 'The Garth Brooks Comeback Special Event' is the worst name for a series of concerts I've ever heard. I can't take it seriously at all.

• Advertisement

What do Brooks and Aitken do about people who can't get tickets for other sold out shows?

Ah here now..

There's a big difference between not being able to get tickets for a show because it is sold out.. and actually having tickets for a few months, perhaps arranging time off, booking flights, hotels etc.. and then finding out three weeks before the date, that it's been cancelled.

the GAA bullied nobody, it was the few vocal residents bullying the GAA and the country

vitani wrote: »
    It might just be me but 'The Garth Brooks Comeback Special Event' is the worst name for a series of concerts I've ever heard. I can't take it seriously at all.

I'm sure that was just a working title.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I'm sure that was just a working title.

Sure now its known as the "Toys out of the pram tour" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

I see you disappeared yesterday when the news was announced, have you apologised yet to everyone in the last thread that just proved you wrong?
    the current city manager deserves to be over ruled, keep over ruling his decisians and he might quit with a bit of luck

You seem to think one person made the decision.

Pity these residence didn't turn up to all the meeting during the last 6 months and make their feelings known - they would just outvote the ones in disagreement if you believe that the majority have no problem.

Ah here now..

There's a big difference between not being able to get tickets for a show because it is sold out.. and actually having tickets for a few months, perhaps arranging time off, booking flights, hotels etc.. and then finding out three weeks before the date, that it's been cancelled.

And whose fault is that?
    The possibility that it would be less than 5 was there from very early on. Aitken went ahead selling tickets and tbh fans bought them even though there was controversy from the get go. Buyer beware....SUBJECT TO LICENCE.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I never knew his first name was Troyal. You do learn something new every day. Troyal. Troyal.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭curioser

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    This gentleman lives a minutes walk from O Connell St in North Cumberland St where the old labour exchange used be.
    This was a naked attempt to gouge money out of Aiken and/or GAA. Otherwise he would have included DCC in the proceedings. He banked on the parties throwing him a fistful to withdraw the injunction application, then GB shot the strategy to pieces by pulling the plug. Wonder what his legal reps will charge him for initiating the proceedings - hope it sickens him TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

the GAA bullied nobody, it was the few vocal residents bullying the GAA and the country

They broke their agreement with the residence.

In the last 6 months they have not once come out and publically denied such an agreement exists when ever media organisations reports on it - now I wonder why that is?

I love the way you think a few people stopped the concert - when a few posts before it was the DCC. The fact of the matter GB choice cancelled the concerts.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,156 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Does anyone on this thread actually understand the demographics of the recorded objectors? (the 373 odd that actually submitted their objections to DCC including the possible fakes)

Im no GB fan and I find some of the economic statistical guff very nauseating, but I also find the "new Ireland, we do it the right way now" ****e equally nauseating. Its as if these concerts have unleashed our perpetual insecurities. In one camp we have those that are scared ****less about damaging our "reputation" abroad. In the other camp we have the "new Irish" who are heralding the DCC decision as a bone fide example of how Ireland is not corrupt anymore. Both sides are as deluded as each other.

This charade and that's what it is, has been fuelled by the mainstream media and social media as the blame game gets engulfed in social justice. Personally I do not believe the level of objection in the local area was sufficient enough to ultimately bring us to where we are now. But it did. We can talk all day about the GAA and DCC and the promoter and the fact that GB fuelled it even more with all this bull about all 5 or none. At the end of the day the GAA were entitled to apply for a license and that had nothing to do with any agreement. The real problem here is a serious issue that must exist between a small number of residents and the GAA. That's what needs exploring and i believe the answers lie there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Am calling it here now. Common sense will prevail and a way will be found for the 5 shows to go ahead. Im not a fan. I dont have tickets. Too much money involved too many stakeholders going to lose out. The country is debt ridden. Time for Enda to stand up and grow a set. The residents will get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭onlyme!

What has dunphy and the rest of the panel have to say about all this ....anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Am calling it here now. Common sense will prevail and a way will be found for the 5 shows to go ahead. Im not a fan. I dont have tickets. Too much money involved too many stakeholders going to lose out. The country is debt ridden. Time for Enda to stand up and grow a set. The residents will get over it.

These concerts would have absolutely zero bearing on our national debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Yeah get the Taoiseach involved, it's surely important enough. God almighty this country is unbelievable at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

He doesn't have the power to do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

onlyme! wrote: »
    What has dunphy and the rest of the panel have to say about all this ....anyone?

I don't know, but I'm sure it will be deep, thought-provoking and completely at odds with what actually happens in the stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Does anyone on this thread actually understand the demographics of the recorded objectors? (the 373 odd that actually submitted their objections to DCC including the possible fakes)
    Apparently it was 373 odd submissions rather than objectors, I don't know how many people were party to those submissions but I gather from the previous thread that many of the submissions were submitted on behalf of multiple persons.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,204 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Name one time in the last 30 years where a planning authority of any sort have allowed 5 concerts of that size to be held on consecutive nights in Ireland.

Or anything close to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

These concerts would have absolutely zero bearing on our national debt.

Did i say that ?! No !! But 50 million in this day and age should not be pi$$ed away... Coz a few residents have the hump

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72,529 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

tumblr_mdga7qSPCY1qz6f9yo1_r3_500.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement