Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Did i say that ?! No !! But 50 million in this day and age should not be pi$$ed away... Coz a few residents have the hump

Where's the 50 million coming from?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

lazygal wrote: »
    I never knew his first name was Troyal. You do learn something new every day. Troyal. Troyal.
    Except in Europe, where it is Troyale with cheese.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I never knew his first name was Troyal. You do learn something new every day. Troyal. Troyal.

Don't worry about it many still don't know that his second name is Garth :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

slimjimmc wrote: »
    many of the submissions were submitted on behalf of multiple persons.
    Exactly, that makes it hard to quantify the number of actual people represented (less the alleged forged ones)

Same with tickets. 400,000 sold, most fans have multiple tickets. Plenty of touts left with tickets, there were 2000 for sale on StubHub last week.
    I'd say about 200,000 individual people, no more than 250,000. Each person could have been accommodated once over 3 nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,137 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Do you know what Brooks, at this stage just **** off. And stay ****ed off. Stop playing with peoples emotions. Imagine the shows were back on and a bunch of people already had their travel and accommodation refunded and got gouged when they tried to get it back.

What a t**t.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

When is the ship due in Dublin?

Im fed up with all the false hope. Where do all the ships pull in up there? Im tempted to go up there and sit at the docks and wait for it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

the GAA bullied nobody, it was the few vocal residents bullying the GAA and the country

The leader of whom lives in Castleknock.

Im fed up with all the false hope. Where do all the ships pull in up there? Im tempted to go up there and sit at the docks and wait for it myself.

Ships? what ships? is he sailing into Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dr.MickKiller

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/music/music-news/garth-brooks-letter-if-the-powersthatbe-can-save-this-i-will-play-in-ireland-30419570.html
    I cannot begin to tell you how badly my heart is breaking right now

Don't tell my heart, my achy breaky heart

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

At this stage it's like listening to an 8 year old trying to blackmail their parents into allowing them stay up late.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

Absolute quality from Waterford Whispers news:

The reply from Peter Aiken!

Jake1 wrote: »

The stage is on a ship and is on the way anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

cmac2009 wrote: »
    Yeah get the Taoiseach involved, it's surely important enough. God almighty this country is unbelievable at times.

So when a quarter of a million people are pissed off and have been screwed by a few dozen nymbys, that doesn't qualify for being of interest to the prime minster when the total pop is only 4 million ? What BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭CapricornOne

You're surely trolling at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

The ship is rounding the bend in Rosslare as I type :D
    Head for the bookies and throw €1000 on that the concerts will go ahead ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

Am calling it here now. Common sense will prevail and a way will be found for the 5 shows to go ahead. Im not a fan. I dont have tickets. Too much money involved too many stakeholders going to lose out. The country is debt ridden. Time for Enda to stand up and grow a set. The residents will get over it.

Ireland National Debt: € 179,956,919,397

Garth Brooks gigs are worth € 50,000,000 supposedly.

This is the equivalent of you being in debt to the tune of €18,000, and me handing you a fiver. Its nice, but its not going to kickstart an economic recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Aiken Breakin Heart.
    Which was by Billy Ray Cyrus not Troyal Brooks.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,081 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Ace2007 wrote: »
    I see you disappeared yesterday when the news was announced

i was busy, did you miss me?

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Jake1 wrote: »

He got friends in wet places.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Grayson wrote: »
    Name one time in the last 30 years where a planning authority of any sort have allowed 5 concerts of that size to be held on consecutive nights in Ireland.

Or anything close to that.

Time doesn't stand still. Things do change. Some people stay the same.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The leader of whom lives in Castleknock.

Spokesperson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Into cobh they are coming, one big ship with 18 semis.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Time doesn't stand still. Things do change. Some people stay the same.

That sounds like the opening to one of Troyal's hits.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

i was busy, did ya miss me?

strange the only day in the GB saga of big news that you miss is the day all the concerts got cancelled.
    sounds like you couldn't take being wrong and so hid under a rock.

Sam Kade wrote: »
    The ship is rounding the bend in Rosslare as I type :D
    Head for the bookies and throw €1000 on that the concerts will go ahead ;)

Too risky

• Registered Users Posts: 29,081 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Ace2007 wrote: »
    They broke their agreement with the residence.

In the last 6 months they have not once come out and publically denied such an agreement exists when ever media organisations reports on it - now I wonder why that is?

I love the way you think a few people stopped the concert - when a few posts before it was the DCC. The fact of the matter GB choice cancelled the concerts.
    no agreement was broken. if there was an agreement then none of the GB concerts would have been given the go ahead, so no need for the GAA to deny anything

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

Why are people still blaming the residents?
    It was Garth Brooks that cancelled the three gigs he was given permission for after all.

It was Aitken who deliberately waited till the very last minute to apply for planning permission in the hope that they'd be able to leverage the planning authority with the fact that they'd already sold 400,000 tickets.

And don't tell me that they didn't know about the agreement between the GAA and the residents beforehand either. They tried to be cute and it bit them in the ass. When where these tickets sold? January? Why didn't they apply for permission months ago and get things out in the open early?

I guarantee you if they'd just went after three gigs at the start, they'd have gotten away with it with just some rightful grumbling from the residents. Instead, they got greedy, and the residents fought back. Fair play to them as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

That sounds like the opening to one of Troyal's hits.

I beg you implicitly, do not confuse me with a Garth Brooks fan!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

no agreement was broken. if there was an agreement then none of the GB concerts would have been given the go ahead, so no need for the GAA to deny anything

the licence was between the DCC and the promoter - not the GAA, so the licence not being given is separate to the agreement which was between the GAA and the residence. Keep digging - GB cancelled the concerts - no one else.

Tickets for the event were sold subject to licence so everyone was well aware that if the licence was not granted that the concerts would not go ahead, everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭curioser

Am calling it here now. Common sense will prevail and a way will be found for the 5 shows to go ahead. Im not a fan. I dont have tickets. Too much money involved too many stakeholders going to lose out. The country is debt ridden. Time for Enda to stand up and grow a set. The residents will get over it.
    Don't agree. The government is obviously on message that it cannot and must not interfere with the DCC decision, otherwise Michael Ring would be out, front and centre, spouting all sorts of encouragement to the ticket holders, knowing that there was a solution in the offing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement