Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

ThisRegard wrote: »
    There are no levels of absurdity this story can't reach

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/486935680439054336

This Garth Brooks thing must be the silliest silly season story ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,156 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Ace2007 wrote: »
    the licence was between the DCC and the promoter - not the GAA, so the licence not being given is separate to the agreement which was between the GAA and the residence. Keep digging - GB cancelled the concerts - no one else.

Tickets for the event were sold subject to licence so everyone was well aware that if the licence was not granted that the concerts would not go ahead, everyone.

Just to clarify, the agreement reached many years ago was that the redeveloped Croke Park came with PP for 3 events/concerts per year. Under that same PP it was stated that additional events/concerts would have to apply for a license.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭That_Girl_ Is_ A_Cowboy

I need to go to the bank and take out a loan of 2000 for that weekend. Will I, will I not? I also want to book a helicopter spin for over Dublin city for the Sunday morning after breakfast but I haven't a clue what to do?

Where's the 50 million coming from?

This is costing the economy closer to 300 million than 50 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I need to go to the bank and take out a loan of 2000 for that weekend. Will I, will I not? I also want to book a helicopter spin for over Dublin city for the Sunday morning after breakfast but I haven't a clue what to do?

Wut???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Top story on the poxy RTE news this evening,with gombeen politicians calling for populist emergency legislation over a fúcking pop concert!,country rubes complaining that the two grand they've been gouged by hotels has gone to waste,the illegal street vendors from Ballybough complaining that they'll be down tax free cash in hand money, and that powerless idiot Lord Mayor Christy Burke sticking his nose where it doesn't belong.Bloody embarrassing.

Any tourist unfortunate enough to witness this farce of a broadcast must be pissing themselves laughing at us.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Ace2007 wrote: »
    strange the only day in the GB saga of big news that you miss is the day all the concerts got cancelled.
    sounds like you couldn't take being wrong and so hid under a rock.
    no, just busy, did you miss me?

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

jd007 wrote: »
    Absolute quality from Waterford Whispers news:

The reply from Peter Aiken!
    Brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭h2005

Letting all 5 concerts go ahead is the only way out of our current economic woes.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭curioser

lazygal wrote: »
    That sounds like the opening to one of Troyal's hits.
    Didn't know he was a Meath supporter - come on T'Royal!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Was the 'agreement' mentioned in DCC's decision to grant only 3 gigs licences? If not, is the existence of such an agreement or its content really relevant to the argument anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Umaro wrote: »
    Ireland National Debt: € 179,956,919,397

Garth Brooks gigs are worth € 50,000,000 supposedly.

This is the equivalent of you being in debt to the tune of €18,000, and me handing you a fiver. Its nice, but its not going to kickstart an economic recovery.

How much was The Gathering worth to Ireland in real & tangible terms? How much is the Wild Western Way supposed to be worth?

Stuff like that costs hundreds of millions to promote. And the return on those investments can only be speculated upon... usually wildly.

The concerts are a different beast altogether. A guaranteed 350,000+ visitors to the city over the space of 5 days. No need for any wild speculation there.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Why are people still blaming the residents?
    It was Garth Brooks that cancelled the three gigs he was given permission for after all.

It was Aitken who deliberately waited till the very last minute to apply for planning permission in the hope that they'd be able to leverage the planning authority with the fact that they'd already sold 400,000 tickets.

And don't tell me that they didn't know about the agreement between the GAA and the residents beforehand either. They tried to be cute and it bit them in the ass. When where these tickets sold? January? Why didn't they apply for permission months ago and get things out in the open early?

I guarantee you if they'd just went after three gigs at the start, they'd have gotten away with it with just some rightful grumbling from the residents. Instead, they got greedy, and the residents fought back. Fair play to them as well.
    a few residents, who's spokes person doesn't even live in the area, infact it seems some of the signatures were forged

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭That_Girl_ Is_ A_Cowboy

lazygal wrote: »
    Wut???

I haven't a clue what to do at this stage. Cancelled yesterday and maybe a bit of light that 3 will go ahead if not 5 although doubtful on that 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Spokesperson.

Spokesperson me bollix.

He's been setting the agenda for that particular 'residents association' for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

The concerts are a different beast altogether. A guaranteed 350,000+ visitors to the city over the space of 5 days. No need for any wild speculation there.
    And how many tens of millions leave the country into Brooks's pocket? The suggestion that this is worth money to the economy is silly, most of the money will be used to buy a new jet for a US country singer.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

Why are people still blaming the residents?
    It was Garth Brooks that cancelled the three gigs he was given permission for after all.

It was Aitken who deliberately waited till the very last minute to apply for planning permission in the hope that they'd be able to leverage the planning authority with the fact that they'd already sold 400,000 tickets.

And don't tell me that they didn't know about the agreement between the GAA and the residents beforehand either. They tried to be cute and it bit them in the ass. When where these tickets sold? January? Why didn't they apply for permission months ago and get things out in the open early?

I guarantee you if they'd just went after three gigs at the start, they'd have gotten away with it with just some rightful grumbling from the residents. Instead, they got greedy, and the residents fought back. Fair play to them as well.

Is this really true? How do you know Peter Aitken's motives all seeing one?

The decision to decline licence applications should have been made months ago. The 'last minute' for approval applications is way too close to show time. That is the root of this problem. We have a planning process for these event that is not fit for purpose. That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,962 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I must have heard at least four people on the radio saying something like There are no winners here, or Everyone is a loser in this debacle. I wonder do these people think before they speak. There are clear winners, the residents who wanted no concerts. They won. A particular big winner is the person who took the court case to stop the three concerts which DCC had offered. He won.

On the financial side the lawyers who were involved won. And the ticket touts who can keep the money they got plus get a refund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

How much was The Gathering worth to Ireland in real & tangible terms? How much is the Wild Western Way supposed to be worth?

Stuff like that costs hundreds of millions to promote. And the return on those investments can only be speculated upon... usually wildly.

How much is the integrity and independence of our planning and licencing laws worth?
    Judging by how they f**ked the country in the past, billions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Whats wrong with Carlow laad!!

Jerseys have too many colours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭changepartners

Dont forget over 300 000 Irish people spending money on the import that is a concert ticket. Millions of our Euros will go to the US. Taking our balance of payments as the POV it might be no great loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,204 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Time doesn't stand still. Things do change. Some people stay the same.

Are you just throwing phrases around?

There's plenty more fish in the sea. You never know if you don't try. all well that ends well.

I think I win numberwang.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

a few residents, who's spokes person doesn't even live in the area, infact it seems some of the signatures were forged
    A spokesperson could live in South Africa for all the difference that makes, is this not just a person chosen to speak on behalf of a person or persons?

Also, you said "It seems some of the signatures were forged" Seemed being the operative word here.

Anything else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

mbur wrote: »
    The decision to decline licence applications should have been made months ago.

They can't decline what they haven't received. It wasn't lodged until mid April and there is a legally defined consultation period.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,156 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Was the 'agreement' mentioned in DCC's decision to grant only 3 gigs licences? If not, is the existence of such an agreement or its content really relevant to the argument anymore?

The "agreement" as I understand it was a condition of the redevelopment of Croke Park going back to 1996. PP was granted for a redevelopment of the stadium and included the automatic right to hold 3 non sporting events/concerts per year. Any additional non sporting events/concerts had to have a license granted.

This agreement is absolutely not relevant to the argument anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

mbur wrote: »
    Is this really true? How do you know Peter Aitken's motives all seeing one?

The decision to decline licence applications should have been made months ago. The 'last minute' for approval applications is way too close to show time. That is the root of this problem. We have a planning process for these event that is not fit for purpose. That is all.

To be fair, Atkin said that he diodn't see any reason why it might be denied. That was a load of bollox. There has never been permission given or anything that big before and there was even a thread on here that started months ago detailing objections.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

You need to read the license decision, the number of objections or objectors did not influence the decision.

ahh for fcuks sake. It's a fcuking country and western concert, not a banking fcuking crises. It's now reached the point where a country and western musician has the leader of a fcuking country bending over for him.

And can anyone please tell me where he pulled the figure of a quarter of a billion from? Was it Mary Lou's arse? Because they seem to be trying to outdo each other.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Absolute pull it out of your ass nonsense http://jrnl.ie/1561519

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement