Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

mbur wrote: »
    Is this really true? How do you know Peter Aitken's motives all seeing one?

The decision to decline licence applications should have been made months ago. The 'last minute' for approval applications is way too close to show time. That is the root of this problem. We have a planning process for these event that is not fit for purpose. That is all.

Aitken knew very well what the process involved and that it takes 10 weeks to fulfill the statutory review of an application, there is a question to be answered...why did he wait until the deadline was almost up?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,952 ✭✭✭Daith

This is parish pump politics at its best!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Grandeeod wrote: »
    The "agreement" as I understand it was a condition of the redevelopment of Croke Park going back to 1996. PP was granted for a redevelopment of the stadium and included the automatic right to hold 3 non sporting events/concerts per year. Any additional non sporting events/concerts had to have a license granted.

This agreement is absolutely not relevant to the argument anymore.

That's my point. Why is it still being brought into the argument? The issue is the licence granted by DCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

A spokesperson could live in South Africa for all the difference that makes, is this not just a person chosen to speak on behalf of a person or persons?

Also, you said "It seems some of the signatures were forged" Seemed being the operative word here.

Anything else?

He is officially chairperson of the group.. not spokesperson.

He's also treasurer of another group whose sole purpose is to oppose the GAA.

He's an embittered rent-a-gob with a huge chip on his shoulder

• Registered Users Posts: 12,156 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

That's my point. Why is it still being brought into the argument? The issue is the licence granted by DCC.

And has been all along, but some people just don't want to get that aspect of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

mbur wrote: »
    Is this really true? How do you know Peter Aitken's motives all seeing one?

The decision to decline licence applications should have been made months ago. The 'last minute' for approval applications is way too close to show time. That is the root of this problem. We have a planning process for these event that is not fit for purpose. That is all.

Really? You never read between the lines no? I'd heard about that agreement years ago ffs. The dog in the street knew about it, and you can be damn sure Peter Aitken and the GAA knew about it too.

So you agree with me about the planning application then? Why do you think he waited so long to apply, all seeing one?

Also, didn't they originally announce two gigs at the start of all this? How come Garth was game ball for two gigs but turned down three? Bit strange that no?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,204 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Grandeeod wrote: »
    The "agreement" as I understand it was a condition of the redevelopment of Croke Park going back to 1996. PP was granted for a redevelopment of the stadium and included the automatic right to hold 3 non sporting events/concerts per year. Any additional non sporting events/concerts had to have a license granted.

And even without the agreement for three, they said that simply having 5 concerts in a row would be too much of a distrubance for the neighbourhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0709/629475-garth-brooks/

This country is such a joke.

Up to 800 dead babies are found in a mass grave - "Ah shure we'll look into it"

Garth Brooks threatens not to play a few gigs - "DEFCON 5! Get Enda on the case! Appease the cowboy, appease the cowboy!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

Now we actually are a laughing stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Umaro wrote: »
    Now we actually are a laughing stock.

This Garth Brooks affair is a Politicians wet dream

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,198 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Watched the news tonight and seen an old grey haired man talking for the residents who were against the concert. I was always essentailly on their side - 3 concerts were allowed per year and they we given to 1-D. Now this promoter comes in books out 5 nights and then decides to go for approval with 400,00 coming into the city for the gigs as leverage. Totally smacked of the big guy bullying the wee guy. I didn't (and still don't) like it.

However, the resident just ranted about Garth doing nothing during the previous x years, spewed a bit of bile and rambled a bit. Came across as a complete lunatic. Very disappointed in his approach and the content of his replies.

Makes me now wish that Garth had got a 2 year residency contract playing every night.

This may be a little pedantic but its Aiken, not Aitken...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Full retard, the country has officially gone full retard.

He is officially chairperson of the group.. not spokesperson.

He's also treasurer of another group whose sole purpose is to oppose the GAA.

He's an embittered rent-a-gob with a huge chip on his shoulder

And herein lies the real problem. Small time politics/agendas that have now clashed on a very big scale. The GAA are far from innocent in their dealings either, but the local politics are rabid and it had nothing to do with Garth Brooks concerts. The gigs just got caught in a ****ing whirlwind and crossfire of totally seperate issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

Flying Fox wrote: »
    This may be a little pedantic but its Aiken, not Aitken...
    My bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Why are people still blaming the residents?
    It was Garth Brooks that cancelled the three gigs he was given permission for after all.

It was Aitken who deliberately waited till the very last minute to apply for planning permission in the hope that they'd be able to leverage the planning authority with the fact that they'd already sold 400,000 tickets.

And don't tell me that they didn't know about the agreement between the GAA and the residents beforehand either. They tried to be cute and it bit them in the ass. When where these tickets sold? January? Why didn't they apply for permission months ago and get things out in the open early?

I guarantee you if they'd just went after three gigs at the start, they'd have gotten away with it with just some rightful grumbling from the residents. Instead, they got greedy, and the residents fought back. Fair play to them as well.

Not only do Brooks fans on here not seem to care about that, most of them bizarrely agree with his decision not to go ahead of the remaining concerts.

Grayson wrote: »
    And even without the agreement for three, they said that simply having 5 concerts in a row would be too much of a distrubance for the neighbourhood.

That may well be the case and Im not disputing it. But under PP Croke Park are entitled to apply for a license from DCC for additional events. The facts behind the dealings between the promoter and DCC are still shrouded in he said, she said BS.

I presume this is just for show.

He said he wouldn't be introducing emergency legislation and by law the original rule can't be changed or a new application fast tracked so aren't they just wasting everyone's time and giving fans false hope?

If something does come out of the meeting id imagine an injunction would be swiftly lodged at the high court.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Daith wrote: »
    This is parish pump politics at its best!
    It's sad to see the leader of the country putting pressure on a planning official. I thought we were supposed to have moved beyond that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Gas.

Thread will never end at this rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭SteM

Why do I have this awful feeling that someone in the chain of command is going to cave in and these shows will end up going ahead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

hmmm wrote: »
    It's sad to see the leader of the country putting pressure on a planning official. I thought we were supposed to have moved beyond that.

And that is exactly what it is, make no mistake about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

Really? You never read between the lines no? I'd heard about that agreement years ago ffs. The dog in the street knew about it, and you can be damn sure Peter Aitken and the GAA knew about it too.

So you agree with me about the planning application then? Why do you think he waited so long to apply, all seeing one?

Also, didn't they originally announce two gigs at the start of all this? How come Garth was game ball for two gigs but turned down three? Bit strange that no?
    Peter Aitken simply followed the process he was allowed to follow. So the dogs in the street are also mind readers you say. ;)

Originally Posted by Grandeeod :

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

fcuking farcical government!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

SteM wrote: »
    Why do I have this awful feeling that someone in the chain of command is going to cave in and these shows will end up going ahead?

Hope so, not that I want to go to the gigs, I definitely don't and won't be, but they should go ahead for all the reasons already outlined

The worrying thing is that it seems to have been as a result of opposition pressure that he's doing this. Normally you can rely on the opposition to kick up a fuss when the Government get involved with dodgy deals but if they're supporting it, where's the watchdog?

nm wrote: »
    Hope so, not that I want to go to the gigs, I definitely don't and won't be, but they should go ahead for all the reasons already outlined

You don't consider the law of the land important?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

I presume this is just for show.

He said he wouldn't be introducing emergency legislation and by law the original rule can't be changed or a new application fast tracked so aren't they just wasting everyone's time and giving fans false hope?

If something does come out of the meeting id imagine an injunction would be swiftly lodged at the high court.

I suppose he can't just ignore it, given the reaction. Although I think it's ridiculous the taoiseach has to get involved in cancelled concerts, voters are voters to him at the end of the day. He needs to show empathy with them even if he doesn't give a fiddlers fart about Garth Brooks. I feel bad for the officials in DCC. Provided they followed the correct procedures there is not much the taoiseach can do (which I assume they did or someone would have mentioned a Judicial Review by now?)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

I think RTE will have to fly Tommie O Gorman over and interview Garth :)

Same style of an interview like he did with Roy Keane back in 02

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

fcuking farcical government!

Actually it is Sinn Fein and Fianna Fáil that are putting the pressure on. Enda Kenny is resisting Michael Martin's call to intervene.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement