Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Sala wrote: »
    I suppose he can't just ignore it, given the reaction.

He should if he wants to retain any sort of credibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Shouldn't the Taoiseach be sending somebody to have a word with Peter Aiken and Garth Aiken Heart Brooks and asking them to simply observe and respect our laws and to play the 3 licensed gigs?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

You don't consider the law of the land important?

What law? The council could have just said "yes" and no laws would have been broken.

Could have removed two other days of usage of Croke park for the remainder of 2014 as recompense to the residents.

This is about the ego of the DCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

mbur wrote: »
    Peter Aitken simply followed the process he was allowed to follow. So the dogs in the street are also mind readers you say. ;)

Originally Posted by Grandeeod :
    The "agreement" as I understand it was a condition of the redevelopment of Croke Park going back to 1996. PP was granted for a redevelopment of the stadium and included the automatic right to hold 3 non sporting events/concerts per year. Any additional non sporting events/concerts had to have a license granted.

This agreement is absolutely not relevant to the argument anymore.

It's very much part of the reason why he waited so long in the first place though isn't it?
    I never said it was still relevant either.

Also, he followed the process arseways hence, the mess we're in.

What was your point again?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Shouldn't the Taoiseach be sending somebody to have a word with Peter Aiken and Garth Aiken Heart Brooks and asking them to simply observe and respect our laws and to play the 3 licensed gigs?

Would the Taoiseach be doing this if it was someone like Metallica, or the Oxygen festival? Enda is a clown, and he likes reminding us of this at every opportunity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

You don't consider the law of the land important?

I consider the decision that was made to have been wrong (for the million reasons already outlined) and the cost too high.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Maybe we could get NAMA involved? Hand Mr Brooks a stack of money to replace the stack of money he would otherwise be taking out of Ireland if it wasn't for pesky laws? A bailout perhaps so he can buy a new private jet?

Cienciano wrote: »
    Would the Taoiseach be doing this if it was someone like Metallica, or the Oxygen festival? Enda is a clown, and he likes reminding us of this at every opportunity.

If you think he's doing this because he's a Garth Brooks fan you need your head examined. What the event is is completely irrelevant, it's the mess they made of it that's forcing him to get involved.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Shouldn't the Taoiseach be sending somebody to have a word with Peter Aiken and Garth Brooks and asking them to simply observe and respect our laws and to play the 3 licensed gigs?

Didn't realise that Garth Brooks would be breaking the law if he didn't perform the 3 gigs he's been allowed play.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I think RTE will have to fly Tommie O Gorman over and interview Garth :)

Same style of an interview like he did with Roy Keane back in 02

Don't see much point, Garth seems to be hearing about the cancellation himself lately. :cool:
    http://www.rte.ie/ten/news/2014/0709/629651-garth-brooks-sends-letter-to-peter-aiken/
    Dear Peter
    I was informed yesterday that the shows are cancelled and the refunds begin on Monday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

What law? The council could have just said "yes" and no laws would have been broken.

Could have removed two other days of usage of Croke park for the remainder of 2014 as recompense to the residents.

The council said yes for 3 and no for 2 and no laws were broken.

The residents wanted no concerts for 2015 or 2016 and the GAA said they had legal commitments and wouldn't agree to it.

This is about the media not accepting/respecting the decision of the DCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

Ticket master have extra staff in tomorrow to begin the refund process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Didn't realise that Garth Brooks would be breaking the law if he didn't perform the 3 gigs he's been allowed play.

By asking for the 2 cancelled gigs to be re-instated somebody has to break or ignore the law of the land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭steveone

Its a disgrace that the taoiseach is getting involved. The country is off the rails and hes busying himself with a local management issue.

hmmm wrote: »
    Maybe we could get NAMA involved? Hand Mr Brooks a stack of money to replace the stack of money he would otherwise be taking out of Ireland if it wasn't for pesky laws? A bailout perhaps so he can buy a new private jet?

I'm just going to name this "Garthian begrudgery".

Seriously, what do you care if he has a jet? Did you complain when Microsoft was setting up shop in Ireland about the stack of money that Bill Gates was getting? :confused:

steveone wrote: »
    Its a disgrace that the taoiseach is getting involved. The country is off the rails and hes busying himself with a local management issue.

It's become a lot bigger than that, as I'm sure you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

The law that once this decision is made it can't be overturned.

To be honest, Keegan's a bollix and probably did let his ego influence his decision and it is stupid that there is no appeal process but the decision is made and by the letter of the law it is final. You can't go around making up laws as you go along. You can only imagine the can of worms that would open. And if that has to be explained to people in this day and age, I fear for the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

What about the vested interests involved in the day to day running of the Stadium taking this since they are not i power.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

ThisRegard wrote: »
    He should if he wants to retain any sort of credibility.

Credibility is subjective. There are plenty of GB fans calling out for him to intervene. As much as I wished he would ignore this, he's a politician at the end of the day and to stay one he has to at least acknowledge the grievances of a substantial number of fans. I assume he has to look like he's doing something - even when he can't

Ace2007 wrote: »
    The council said yes for 3 and no for 2 and no laws were broken.

The residents wanted no concerts for 2015 or 2016 and the GAA said they had legal commitments and wouldn't agree to it.

This is about the media not accepting/respecting the decision of the DCC.

I don't think the council had any option but say yes to the three. They probably would have said no to the lot had they been able.

The idea that there would be "noise, traffic disruption, illegal parking and 'potential antisocial behaviour'" for 5 concerts, and not three, is baloney. Baloney of the most obvious kind.

Sure it'd be better for us if Garth played the three gigs instead of none (be better still for us if he played all five), but he's a free agent and is not bound to do so. The vendors are bound to reimburse people who have paid for tickets, which they have agreed to do.

No concerts for two years is a bit much tbh. Would probably be cheaper to just forcibly purchase that street.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I'm only surprised that Enda didn't move to intervene earlier.

This would be the equivalent of an event being cancelled in the US that had sold 25 million tickets, or an event in the UK affecting 6 million people. You can be bloody sure Obama or Cameron would get involved in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Will this farcical ever end? I'm in the US at the moment, and even the 'MURICANS are talking about how retarded all of this stuff is!
    'MURICANS

:o
    I genuinely can't believe it's gotten to this stage. Enda getting involved, surely there are better things for him to be doing for the love of jaysus.

The idea that there would be "noise, traffic disruption, illegal parking and 'potential antisocial behaviour'" for 5 concerts, and not three, is baloney. Baloney of the most obvious kind.

Of course there will still be disruption but on fewer occasions so lessening the impact on the residents. We're getting into 'these cows are small, those are far away' territory here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

nm wrote: »
    If you think he's doing this because he's a Garth Brooks fan you need your head examined. What the event is is completely irrelevant, it's the mess they made of it that's forcing him to get involved.

Be real. If this happened with Metallica or Oxegen there is no way he'd get involved. Garth Brooks occupies some weird pedestal amongst culchies and the middle class, and thats where the votes are.

(And yes, I'm perfectly fine with calling people culchies, as I am one.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Enda, (National Man of Importance apparently) now sticking his hairnet into NONE OF HIS BUSINESS.

This is what is making a show of Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

If you followed the story you'll have seen that they already have contractual obligations for next year so can't do that.

Of course there will still be disruption but on fewer occasions so lessening the impact on the residents. We're getting into 'these cows are small, those are far away' territory here.

Well yeah, but 5 days of noise and disruption vs 3 days of noise and disruption isn't really a huge difference. Could have just said that two less concerts the next year would be scheduled as a compromise (preferable in my opinion). Trying to put the GAA over a barrel by trying to have every gig for the next two years cancelled is over the line - and I'm no particular fan of the GAA!

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

It's very much part of the reason why he waited so long in the first place though isn't it?
    I never said it was still relevant either.

Also, he followed the process arseways hence, the mess we're in.

What was your point again?
    The planning process for these events is not fit for purpose. Thank you for asking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

spockety wrote: »
    I'm only surprised that Enda didn't move to intervene earlier.

This would be the equivalent of an event being cancelled in the US that had sold 25 million tickets, or an event in the UK affecting 6 million people. You can be bloody sure Obama or Cameron would get involved in that.

But it's not an event - it's 5 events. One after the other.

• Advertisement

Well yeah, but 5 days of noise and disruption vs 3 days of noise and disruption isn't really a huge difference. !

Would you like 3 kicks in the balls or as there is little difference, would you like 5?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement