Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sparksfly

I'm just going to name this "Garthian begrudgery".

Seriously, what do you care if he has a jet? Did you complain when Microsoft was setting up shop in Ireland about the stack of money that Bill Gates was getting? :confused:

I don't give a toss about his jet but comparing Brooks to a company that employs over 1900 people here and invests millions???
    confused is the word

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I'm just going to name this "Garthian begrudgery".

Seriously, what do you care if he has a jet? Did you complain when Microsoft was setting up shop in Ireland about the stack of money that Bill Gates was getting? :confused:

Oh, you mean when they went through the planning process and didn't resort to tantrums or blackmail in order to do that business ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

mbur wrote: »
    The planning process for these events is not fit for purpose. Thank you for asking.

They could have been if used properly.
    You're most welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

ThisRegard wrote: »
    If you followed the story you'll have seen that they already have contractual obligations for next year so can't do that.

Obviously they need some tutoring on 'contracts', like the following clause...'if we book you for 5 night subject to licence then you must play however many nights we get a licence for'.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    But it's not an event - it's 5 events. One after the other.

My point still stands. Politicians/leaders in any country would be all over something of this relative scale in a hot snot.

That's what politics is FFS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

If you followed the story you'll have seen that they already have contractual obligations for next year so can't do that.

What I heard the residents wanted every gig cancelled for next two years - which would certainly infringe on contractual obligations. But it should be possible to reduce the use of Croke Park for two nights over the next 4-5 hundred days.

Or maybe pay for holidays for the residents for the week of Brooks' concerts (well too late for that now due to DCC *no budge* position), but you get the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭stmol32

From the article:

Mr Brooks said to play for 400,000 people would be a dream, but to tell 160,000 of those that they are not welcome would be a nightmare.

He wrote: "I cannot begin to tell you how badly my heart is breaking right now".

I think he has show great bravery in his stance and nothing but concern for the people of Ireland.

All the anti Brookesside don't seem to want to bring up when those 55,000 people committed suicide in 2008 , that's all he's tryng to prevent.

[url] http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8539066.stm[/url]

Well yeah, but 5 days of noise and disruption vs 3 days of noise and disruption isn't really a huge difference. Could have just said that two less concerts the next year would be scheduled as a compromise (preferable in my opinion). Trying to put the GAA over a barrel by trying to have every gig for the next two years cancelled is over the line - and I'm no particular fan of the GAA!

It's a huge difference. Why can't you try and see things from the residents point of view for once?
    There's an overriding sense of ignorance from a lot of GB fans in both of these big threads if you ask me. It can't be just a coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

They could have been if used properly.
    You're most welcome.
    The process, as it exists, was used 'properly'. It is a bad process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

nm wrote: »
    It's become a lot bigger than that, as I'm sure you know.

It's been constructed as such by RTE and every other media outlet available.
    Number 3 item on the fluffy bit of a news bulletin would have equalled it's importance but no, we've satellite links to the Mansion House, some distraught GB fan in Tipp, an in studio correspondent and two or three others dotted around the city.

To see and hear the PM make a statement in our national parliament and tonight. intervene is actually what is making a show of this, awful at times, little ****hole.

But sure, there's 400k potential votes begging - and I've no doubt a lot of that 400k will base their vote on this.

• Advertisement

. But it should be possible to reduce the use of Croke Park for two nights over the next 4-5 hundred days.

But if they've already got contractual arrangements for next year they cant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

This thread will never end! I think we need a new "solutions" thread. So far I have seen:

1) Basically f**k the residents, the law, etc and let the gigs go ahead etc....
    2) Accommodate residents in carlow
    3) Agree to host three, and two at the end of his world tour (is there even a world tour yet??)

I think number 3 is the best compromise I have seen suggested but obviously that depends on there actually being a world tour (not a fan, this may be speculation?) and GB agreeing to it. He doesn't seem like the most agreeable fellow from his recent carry on though.

No 2 seems a bit ridiculous but if it were in Dublin it could be more workable. but if you think it about the issues, road closures etc. things like free parking outside the area for residents who need their cars could be an option. I don't know what arrangements are in place already so they may have something like this.

It's been constructed as such by RTE and every other media outlet available.

RTE have really gone over board on this. Newstalk have much more reasoned coverage, apart from Ivan in the morning stirring it with a massive stick.

Oh, you mean when they went through the planning process and didn't resort to tantrums or blackmail in order to do that business ?

Tantrums? Blackmail? This is business, stop making it personal.

Brooks co. have said they want 5 concerts or none. That's the deal that Ireland has been left with. They don't give a crap about our licensing laws, but I mean, that's business. It's not like they were told back in February that this would be a non-runner; they were told 3 weeks before the event. And only last Monday injunctions were placed in the High Court to block the three remaining concerts.

That's bad business man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

MCD and Mountcharles seem to think the current process works well. I don't know if they were saying that just to get a dig in at Aiken but there would be no harm in looking at the process and seeing could it be improved.

Sorry, I thought it was my kids he was talking about.

Hardly, if it was used properly we wouldn't be in this mess now would we?
    Was this Aiken's first rodeo?, no. He knew what he was trying to do and he crapped out.
    As they say in Russia, "Tuffski ****tski"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭steveone

nm wrote: »
    It's become a lot bigger than that, as I'm sure you know.

I think its become inflated. Its still a local issue for dcc/ promoters. The promoter sold tickets to gigs that didn't exist- his loss. Not for the dail, garth brooks says 5 or none... again not for the taoiseach and as far as making a holy show on the world stage goes we're well established already. I'd be looking to see what secret legislation was being kicked thru whilst we're looking the other way...

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭curioser

Enda, (National Man of Importance apparently) now sticking his hairnet into NONE OF HIS BUSINESS.

This is what is making a show of Ireland

Sure hasn't he nothing else to occupy him at the moment? Joan who?, Dept of Health in safe hands, national finances booming, !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

The levels of idiocy on this thread is absolutely unbelievable , even for after hours.

• Advertisement

Brooks co. have said they want 5 concerts or none. That's the deal that Ireland has been left with. They don't give a crap about our licensing laws, but I mean, that's business. It's not like they were told back in February that this would be a non-runner; they were told 3 weeks before the event. And only last Monday injunctions were placed in the High Court to block the three remaining concerts.

That's bad business man.

The law should always take precedence over business. But I'm not stupid, I know that's not how it always is unfortunately.

As for the bold bit, how many times must it be explained that Aiken only lodged the application in April? DCC couldn't make a decision in February on something they hadn't received. They were only told 3 weeks before the event because that was at the end of the consultation period. The only way you could have gotten a decision in February was if Aiken lodged the application before Christmas. Please let that be the last time this has to be explained!

It's a huge difference. Why can't you try and see things from the residents point of view for once?
    There's an overriding sense of ignorance from a lot of GB fans in both of these big threads if you ask me. It can't be just a coincidence.

I can see it from the residents' view - I'd fcking hate to have those concerts beside me - for 1 night let alone 5! I'd prefer a single week of that in the summer though, than it spaced out over the year. Also, I know that if crap happens in my area that I'd just have to suck it up; don't have a large powerful body like this Croke Park Streets Committee to speak for me.

But I mean... they live beside a stadium. People have bought in that area knowing that there's a stadium there. The house prices are lower there... because there's a stadium there!

It shouldn't be beyond the realms of reason to find some sort of recompense for the residents there - in terms of stadium usage in the future, monetary, or otherwise.

From what I've heard they've lost a half million in local funding due to the cancellation...

I can see it from the residents' view - I'd fcking hate to have those concerts beside me - for 1 night let alone 5! I'd prefer a single week of that in the summer though, than it spaced out over the year. Also, I know that if crap happens in my area that I'd just have to suck it up; don't have a large powerful body like this Croke Park Streets Committee to speak for me.

But I mean... they live beside a stadium. People have bought in that area knowing that there's a stadium there. The house prices are lower there... because there's a stadium there!

It shouldn't be beyond the realms of reason to find some sort of recompense for the residents there - in terms of stadium usage in the future, monetary, or otherwise.

From what I've heard they've lost a half million in local funding due to the cancellation...

It might be worth you while having a look through the early pages of this thread or any of the other threads on here. Every one of your points there has been answered countless times before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

The houses in Moyross are cheap....residents knew the area was a kip before they moved in how dare they give out about crime!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

The blame game is getting everyone nowhere. It's simply a sequence of events that ended with an unfortunate outcome for all involved. I'm not unsympathetic by any means to ticket holders. It's downright unfair. You bought a ticket to an entertainment event and were looking forward to it. If anyone's really losing out it is you. But I would imagine you'll get over it, no ones actually going to come to any real harm over not going, and if it's actually going to harm you financially - one wonders at the wisdom of attending such an event. The rest is just a monumental fûck up, with residents receiving a tad more vitriol than is warranted.

(Omnishambolicfcukuppery - 47 on triple word score, 141 points please)

The law should always take precedence over business. But I'm not stupid, I know that's not how it always is unfortunately.

As for the bold bit, how many times must it be explained that Aiken only lodged the application in April? DCC couldn't make a decision in February on something they hadn't received. They were only told 3 weeks before the event because that was at the end of the consultation period. The only way you could have gotten a decision in February was if Aiken lodged the application before Christmas. Please let that be the last time this has to be explained!

Clearly lodged way too late but for the council to look at this discuss it and come to a decision took...

April

May

June

Really?

Should have taken 10 days, not ten weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

I haven't read posts but just came on to say that I just saw on fb that the Maldon hotels are offering full refunds to anyone who booked a room because of the concert. Fair play to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Also WRT iTunes I believe it's because he wants people to listen to his albums as a collective piece, rather than just download the singles.

I can understand that for Dark side of the moon for example, but if you believe that this greedy ar$ehole is worried about artistic merit, then you are extremely gullible.

Aside from the fact that he is on record as saying Price point is another issue, as Brooks doesn’t want to be told how much to charge for his music."
    http://tasteofcountry.com/garth-brooks-itunes/?trackback=tsmclip

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Well the GAA have stated that they have legal commitments to hold at least 3 concerts in 2015 and 2016 - So they are forward planning - and not worried about residents or any change in conditions.

The argument about the statement is pointless - for example there are houses built before the stadium - yes the families have changed but so had Croke Park. The first concert was in 1984 - so I would reckon a large % of people where living in the area before any concerts were held - so who should have the rights?

And what are you talking about losing 500,000 - they didn't lose it, they choice not to accept the offering of being bought by money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

highly1111 wrote: »
    I haven't read posts but just came on to say that I just saw on fb that the Maldon hotels are offering full refunds to anyone who booked a room because of the concert. Fair play to them.

If I was a ticket holder and still coming anyway, I'd take that refund and book elsewhere for a lot cheaper now, will be plenty of rooms on offer come Tuesday.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement