Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Lord Mayor of Dublin on RTE news - just said "There's a sadness across the Nation"....... OMG he's extended that to a sadness across Europe and further afield.
    It's embarrassing for Ireland alright.

It's our 9/11

I may be wrong, but don't promoters take out insurance in case something like this happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

Jesus Christ this is so blown out of proportion. There are people, saying that this has made them "ashamed to be Irish". For fúck sake if a country music star not being allowed play five nights in our largest stadium, with good reason, makes you ashamed to be Irish then you must be living a seriously sheltered existence.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

TheDriver wrote: »
    no pity here, severe hikes in prices for those nights, out to get every penny. Like aiken, its not that they loose all the money but more like they won't get their hands on it

Every hotel, all over the world, jack their prices up when there is a large event taking place in the locality.

The way people are going on about that aspect of things here, you'd swear it was purely an Irish thing.. or somehow unique to this example. It's supply and demand... simple as.

what is that all about im serious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

I may be wrong, but don't promoters take out insurance in case something like this happens.

So our car and home insurance will be going up?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Why are the residents getting any blame at all? This would have played out the exact same with or without their objections.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I read they were not allowed get insurance, and rightly so, I would hate to see the knock on effect of my insurance premiums going up to pay off these conniving money hungry cunts, who knew fine fucking well there would be huge amounts of complaints.

The insurance would probably have been a fortune as I expect the insurance companies would have forseen this debacle.

U2 were granted an unprecedented 3rd gig in croke park before, this brought up the number to 4, this was unheard of, yet these cunts then tried for double that in 1 year, 3 x one direction and 5 of this.

So our car and home insurance will be going up?
    That's what I'm wondering, insurance companies work in a similar way to bookies "laying off" bets between themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

fullstop wrote: »
    No, it's a disgrace for Aiken promotions, selling tickets to concerts they didn't have a licence for. The blame lies with them and nobody else...well maybe Brooks for throwing his toys out of the pram as well.

It's standard practice to sell tikets 'subject to license'. That's just the way the system works in Ireland. The blame lies with the Croke Park residents and the kiljoys in DCC. This is a major embarrassment for the country and I feel sorry for all those who were looking forward to the gig.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Joe Duffy's phone will be ringing off the hook tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

rubadub wrote: »
    I read they were not allowed get insurance, and rightly so, I would hate to see the knock on effect of my insurance premiums going up to pay off these conniving money hungry cunts, who knew fine ****ing well there would be huge amounts of complaints.

U2 were granted an unprecedented 3rd gig in croke park before, this brought up the number to 4, this was unheard of, yet these ***** then tried for double that in 1 year, 3 x one direction and 5 of this.

How dare they give people what they want and try and make money whilst doing so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

The claims about value to the local economy are quite vague and by nature hard to substantiate.

For example, say I bought a ticket for garth brooks, I'd budget for the concert out of my monthly income like any other month. If I can't go I'd more than likely spend the money on something else. Even if I save it or pay off a bill, the money is not ceasing to exist.

Fair enough for international visitors but I'd doubt the majority of them are just coming for the gig rather making a trip out of it.

Then you have the large amount of GAA style concert goers ( of whom I know a few) who will drive up and go home and not spend much money.

The glib and fantastical figures being bandied around are hard to disprove or prove but basically have propaganda value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Mahou

For everyone worried about this damaging Ireland´s reputation abroad.....
    All I wanna say is they don't really care about us

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Lots of angry people on Ticketmaster's Facebook not making an awful lot of sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

rockbeast wrote: »
    Now which will be the first Dublin pub/venue to stick on a Garth Brooks Tribute act for 5 nights - they'll clèan up :D

This lad is way ahead of ya
    http://www.friendsinlowplaces.ie/category/events/

Re Mulvey, posted this in the other thread so may have got lost in the madness, but one of the residents group was on the Last Word and said they were the ones that brought the compromise of having no gigs next year, Mulvey claimed it was his, he was slow in taking the idea to the GAA but the GAA eventually replied that they can't due to existing contractual arrangements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

It's standard practice to sell tikets 'subject to license'. That's just the way the system works in Ireland. The blame lies with the Croke Park residents and the kiljoys in DCC. This is a major embarrassment for the country and I feel sorry for all those who were looking forward to the gig.

Seriously, after everything else that has happened this is a major embarrassment?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Mayor of Dubland on the radio just now saying he doesn't want to become involved
    in a blame game as it would make him sound like someone out of Lannigan's Ball. :confused:

Then in the same breath he pleads with Brooks to change his mind and reconsider.

The words 'I stepped out and I stepped in again' were the first thing that sprang to my mind then. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ankaragucu

Hang on, can some one tell me WHO has made this decision of no concerts at all?My understanding was DCC licenced three gigs only.Garth gave his threat.Background moves were made.Now its announced there will be no gigs at all.WHO made this decision??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Fr. Ned

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    Another ignoramus stereotype. Check the addresses of the credit card holders and you will find ample with Dublin addresses.
    Not all the Dubs pend their time listening to Aslan (who are brilliant) or some oul ****e ballad group singing The Boys of the Old Brigade

There's a lot of culchies living in Dublin ok......

• Registered Users Posts: 11,368 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

I know it is, but it was well known that there was an agreement in place with the residents for 3 concerts a year and they kept adding nights to it, taking the piss really. That's 2 fingers to the residents, who fought back. And if you think it's an embarrassment for the country, you need to get out more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

sabat wrote: »
    Why are the residents getting any blame at all? This would have played out the exact same with or without their objections.

Baffled by that post. What? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,368 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

How dare they give people what they want and try and make money whilst doing so!

You see, this is a nonsense point. If this was allowed, where does it end? 20 nights of concerts next year, 30 the year after? Ah but it's just a one off.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    It was 70,000 over five days, but that included people who booked from a .co.UK (n.Ireland) website, so the exact number is unknown.

70k overseas.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,833 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Lapin wrote: »
    Mayor of Dubland on the radio just now saying he doesn't want to become involved in a blame game as it
    would make him sound like someone out of Lannigan's Ball. :confused:

The in the same breath he pleads with Brooks to change his mind and reconsider.

The words 'I stepped out and I stepped in again' were the first thing that sprang to my mind then. :pac:

I heard him. He'd want to get a grip in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Indeed its astonishing how they dared do it, knowing fine well the objections in previous years with far less gigs. These cunts thought they were untouchable.
    It's standard practice to sell tikets 'subject to license'. That's just the way the system works in Ireland.
    Imagine Lord Mountcharles "daring" to sell tickets for 6 nights in slane, knowing fine well that there were loads of complaints when he even had 2 gigs in a year before. Just like these attempted 4 more than before in croke park -knowing there were complaints about that previous max.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,396 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The comments on Ticketmasters facebook page are hilarious. It's like a mob with virtual pitchforks.

You mean a mob with broken-off chair legs?

• Advertisement

Dublin City Bid (collective of 2,500 businesses in the city centre) statement http://www.dublincitybid.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Garth-Brooks-press-release.pdf

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement