Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,516 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

- People who were planning on travelling up from the country will no longer need a hotel. So thats wasted.
    - Restaurants lose out.
    - Bars too.
    - Also public transport.

It is not just the gig. Businesses lose out too. So there is a loss to the economy.

And 70,000 people from abroad were coming in for the gigs

• Registered Users Posts: 18,516 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

At this late stage. Back in February, had this been announced, no way it would have caused this much of a mess. The timing of this is 99% of why people are reacting the way they are. Four or five months before the concerts and it would give people time to arrange different dates, change hotels etc etc. Three weeks before the concerts is what makes it so much of a fiasco.

Indeed, and the fact that their decision was final and could not be appealed. I wonder if they failed to anticipate the uproar this would cause and that it might put all the concerts in jeopardy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Muahahaha wrote: »
    His heart is broken

You'd think with all of the loves lost and heartbreak in his lyrics he'd have hardened the fcuk up by now:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,072 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Ace2007 wrote: »
    How hard would have it been for Aiken to abide by section 230 of the planning application act? Just because they got away with breaking that law for so long doesn't mean they can always get away with it.

Residents made it clear before the 4th/5th concert tickets went on sale that they would take legal action - why didn't peter take this into account.

Let's just say the DCC allowed the concerts and then the courts granted the injunction - who would you blame?

Just to add had the DCC told peter back in feb that he would only get 3 licence - how would that solve any of the problems - GB said he wouldn't let down 160,000 fans.
    he abided by the act, only a couple of residents threatened legal action

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Strazdas wrote: »
    Indeed, and the fact that their decision was final and could not be appealed. I wonder if they failed to anticipate the uproar this would cause and that it might put all the concerts in jeopardy.

I cant stand country music but what shocks me is there is no appeals process. I think the government needs to bring in new regulations to cover appeals. They say its due to planning laws. Didn't the government bring in an bord pleanala to deal with building planning appeals a few years ago? Why cant they do a similar thing for concerts etc plus add a law saying that before any tickets can be sold a license must have been granted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭kippy

- People who were planning on travelling up from the country will no longer need a hotel. So thats wasted.
    - Restaurants lose out.
    - Bars too.
    - Also public transport.

It is not just the gig. Businesses lose out too. So there is a loss to the economy.

I believe the point the poster was making was that the money has not been "lost to the economy".
    The money will be spent, perhaps not in as concentrated a location but generally in the country.
    People who were going to this gig are hardly going to burn the money they were going to spent going to the gig.

Outside of course of those that travel in to the country, that money wont be spent here now. It'll be spent elsewhere. So that may be classed as a loss.

- Restaurants lose out.
    - Bars too.
    - Also public transport.

Yeah, and they had all jacked up their prices, so an even bigger loss:rolleyes:

In other good news though, Several Million dollars isn't being transferred directly from Rural Ireland to Yukon, Oklahoma, Public Transport still doesn't run at a profit over, many accommodation bookings and flight bookings that were made won't be refunded because of the cancellation, so the people will still come.

Lo and behold, it may actually benefit the economy as now they'll all have the price of a Garth Brooks ticket to spend in Ireland instead of just sending it Oklahoma

Lo and behold, it may actually benefit the economy as now they'll all have the price of a Garth Brooks ticket to spend in Ireland instead of just sending it Oklahoma

Not all 70,000 were traveling in form overseas that money is now lost.

jjbrien wrote: »

Well the money was never here in the first place so its not been "lost". It just wont be spent here this time round.

The projected income from these 70K would probably be in the region of 10 million. All that would take to recoup is a GAA semifinal/final replay or similiar.

Write it off against the sum that Garth Brooks would have pocketed and we're still ahead:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Read the act he didn't abide by it - one must get a licence before selling tickets or promoting an event - go read it yourself and educate yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 24,494 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

- Restaurants lose out.
    - Bars too.
    - Also public transport.

so none of those hotel or restaurants will have any chance at all of attracting customers anyway?

They loose the gouge factor but it'll still be a normal weeks business for all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I'm sure a judge could be 'encouraged' to throw out any challenge fairly sharpish!

What exactly are you suggesting here?

kippy wrote: »
    Well the money was never here in the first place so its not been "lost". It just wont be spent here this time round.

The projected income from these 70K would probably be in the region of 10 million. All that would take to recoup is a GAA semifinal/final replay or similiar.

Still 70k addional people flying into the country who would take taxis from the airport, pay for hotel rooms for 2 days or more. Then theres the other 330,000 who prob will just hold on to the ticket money and not spend it at all. Some might even opt to travel out of the country to see him play elsewhere. My brother is a head chef in a bar in town and they are gutted this has being canceled. The place he works in has been struggling the past few years would have given them a lift over the few days the gigs were on. I myself I cant stand Garth Brooks.... I used to live in Drumcondra myself and know well how any event at croker clogs the place up.... But in these times its a small price to pay to bring some money into the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

How many of the 70,000 are coming in just for the gig? Not many I would say. Most of them are coming on a holiday and the gig was part of it, I'd imagine. Like booking a match ticket.
    Sure they will be disappointed but they will still enjoy their holiday. Sad buggers if they would let missing a gig ruin their hols.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

I was going to spend 50 billion euro in dublin for an Oasis gig. But it never happened. I think this should be factored into all the money Dublin has lost.

Still 70k addional people flying into the country who would take taxis from the airport, pay for hotel rooms for 2 days or more. Then theres the other 330,000 who prob will just hold on to the ticket money and not spend it at all. Some might even opt to travel out of the country to see him play elsewhere. My brother is a head chef in a bar in town and they are gutted this has being canceled. The place he works in has been struggling the past few years would have given them a lift over the few days the gigs were on. I myself I cant stand Garth Brooks.... I used to live in Drumcondra myself and know well how any event at croker clogs the place up.... But in these times its a small price to pay to bring some money into the area.

Bringing some money into the area? The GAA need one replay a year in croker a year to bring the same amount of people into the area on top of the rest of the matches played there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I can't believe the outrage. Nobody has died. It's only a music concert. I was upset when eminem cancelled slane in 2004, but it's been 10 years now and life is finally okay again, and I'm sure it will be for all those people who can't go stand in a field and listen to terrible music too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

A majority of people coming from overseas will still come to ireland and spend the same amount of money with or without any concerts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

The small mindedness people are showing here is mind boggling. They're advocating serious corruption just so a concert can go ahead :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

so none of those hotel or restaurants will have any chance at all of attracting customers anyway?

They loose the gouge factor but it'll still be a normal weeks business for all of them.

Yes. It will be a normal business week for them now.
    But it would of been a GREAT business week for them if the gig went down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

I was upset when eminem cancelled slane in 2004, but it's been 10 years now and life is finally okay again, and I'm sure it will be for all those people who can't go stand in a field and listen to terrible music too

Eh, you've have had ten years to get over it.. we haven't had ten fecking days yet.

Would ya get up the yard with yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,350 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

kippy wrote: »
    Bringing some money into the area? The GAA need one replay a year in croker a year to bring the same amount of people into the area on top of the rest of the matches played there.

you would need an all-ireland final replay to generate anywhere near the level of income from just a single brooks concert and then most people would head home straight after the match...that option not really available for most when something ends at 11pm.

this country or dublin city is in no position to be turning their noses up at garth brooks as it currently stands. i was in new orleans in april for wrestlemania which brought 75,000 people into the city and millions in revenue, the city rolled out the red carpet from the minute you stepped off the plane...if it was dublin i would have no doubt we would have thousands of posts on here asking why we are bothering with or spending so much money on fake wrestling :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Yes. It will be a normal business week for them now.
    But it would of been a GREAT business week for them if the gig went down.

What about the businesses, pubs and restaurants around the country who were going to lose money that weekend because so many people were planning to spend their money in the capital.

I know of one restaurant that was planning to have less staff working that weekend because of the concert.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

The small mindedness people are showing here is mind boggling. They're advocating serious corruption just so a concert can go ahead :confused:

Is it any wonder the country is currently as FUBARed as it is. It seems that for a lot of people years of pent up Celtic Tigerness is just spontaneously erupting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Except they don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

If you feel that it would be "serious corruption" to the ignore rules set out by An Bord Pleanala and to allow the concerts to go ahead, then you must also believe by default, that the DCC were wrong to grant licences for three concerts to begin with, as that also flies in the face of the regulations set out.

However, I don't see any evidence that the taoiseach is getting involved in a way which must involve the overruling of the DCC's decision. Seems to me that he is just trying to get everyone to come to some kind of agreement, in an effort to make sure these concerts don't just get cancelled because of a lack of communication.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

What would happen if the ship containing all the stage and equipment from the States didn't arrive in time or at all?

Who else can we blame for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,767 ✭✭✭hynesie08

If you feel that it would be "serious corruption" to the ignore rules set out by An Bord Pleanala and to allow the concerts to go ahead, then you must also believe by default, that the DCC were wrong to grant licences for three concerts to begin with, as that also flies in the face of the regulations set out.

However, I don't see any evidence that the taoiseach is getting involved in a way which must involve the overruling of the DCC's decision. Seems to me that he is just trying to get everyone to come to some kind of agreement, in an effort to make sure these concerts don't just get cancelled because of a lack of communication.

I'm honna put this in big letters cause you seem to be ignoring it

IN 1993 AN BORD PLEANALA SAID 3 CONCERTS WITHOUT A LICENSE, MORE WITH AN APPLICATION

IN 2009, AFTER 4 GIGS AND 44 HOURS STRAIGHT CONSTRUCTION. THE GAA AND RESIDENTS AGREED TO 3 GIGS A YEAR MAXIMUM

And here's the bit you're choosing to ignore to help your argument

OWEN KEEGAN WAS ADVISED BY HIS SOLICITOR THAT HE DID NOT HAVE TO TAKE THE AGREEMENT INTO CONSIDERATION

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,767 ✭✭✭hynesie08

No he didn't.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement