Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

What would happen if the ship containing all the stage and equipment from the States didn't arrive in time or at all?

Who else can we blame for this?

Hmmmm.
    The Bermuda Triangle
    The Illuminati
    Opus Dei
    The Sargasso Sea
    Ricardo Boyd-Baretti
    That Wallace fellow from the sunny south east
    Humpty Dunphy
    Saint Patrick

and finally ..........

Michael Cusack

BA DUM TISH

I think Nostradamus deserves a mention here ........... if it's OK with the rest of ye:
    "From the depths of the West of Europe, (AMERICA)
    A young child will be born of poor people, (NOT MUCH POORER THAN IN AND AROUND TULSA)
    He who by his tongue will seduce a great troop; (TROOP GENERALLY IS THE COLLECTIVE NOUN FOR MONKEYS)
    His fame will increase towards the realm of the East." (YOU CAN'T GET THAT MUCH ADVERTISING FREE)

http://www.people.com/article/garth-brooks-announces-new-music-world-tour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

Yeah, and they had all jacked up their prices, so an even bigger loss:rolleyes:

In other good news though, Several Million dollars isn't being transferred directly from Rural Ireland to Yukon, Oklahoma, Public Transport still doesn't run at a profit over, many accommodation bookings and flight bookings that were made won't be refunded because of the cancellation, so the people will still come.

Lo and behold, it may actually benefit the economy as now they'll all have the price of a Garth Brooks ticket to spend in Ireland instead of just sending it Oklahoma

2dadh77.jpg

FAIL

hynesie08 wrote: »
    No he didn't.

I think these replies are automated, every time someone says something in support of Garth and the 5 Concerts, you have a negative 'different' argument against them!! I've also noticed it with one or two other posters in the last few days... Why are you so against what at the 'least' 400,000 people are fighting for? huh, well.......:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

ardle1 wrote: »
    2dadh77.jpg

FAIL

A Superman meme doesn't make it so.

Economists would call it "leakage" look it up. It's real.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

hynesie08 wrote: »
    And here's the bit you're choosing to ignore to help your argument

OWEN KEEGAN WAS ADVISED BY HIS SOLICITOR THAT HE DID NOT HAVE TO TAKE THE AGREEMENT INTO CONSIDERATION

Can I ask you why you think I am ignoring the above. I'd be most interested to know.

If it's because I have said that he should have refused the licences earlier than he did, then I will laugh.

If it is because I said he should have indicated to Aiken that the DCC were not entertaining granting all five licences, I will laugh.

If it is because I said he went against the agreement the residents had with the GAA and he shouldn't have, I will laugh.

But sure tell us why anyway, I could do with a laugh..

• Advertisement

A Superman meme doesn't make it so.

Economists would call it "leakage" look it up. It's real.

Most read
    Live feeds
    Recommended for you
    News

Home
    What's On Music & Nightlife Garth Brooks
    Garth Brooks Croke Park concerts: Comeback gigs were set to be as big as Pope John Paul II 's visit to Ireland
    Jul 08, 2014 20:39 By Alana Fearon 0 Comments
    Country music fans had waited 17 years for Garth Brooks to return to these shores

His comeback gigs were set to be almost as big as when Pope John Paul II visited Ireland in 1979.

Besotted country music fans had waited 17 years for Garth Brooks to return to these shores – and nowhere was the anticipation more palpable than here on the Emerald Isle.

When the tickets for the initial three Croke Park gigs went on sale back in January, 240,000 excited fans snapped them up in a record 90 minutes.

It was the first time an artist ever sold out the North Dublin stadium in one day, and sales soared passed €15 million.

Aiken Promotions revealed that the Unanswered Prayers star’s heralded comeback was the fastest selling gig they’d seen in their 52 years of business.

Demand for tickets to see the king of country music was so high that 10,000 people queued at Ticketmaster outlets across the country to get their hands on a little slice of history.

Who is to blame for the Garth Brooks concert fiasco?
    Dublin City Council
    Garth Brooks
    Aiken Promotions
    The Government
    The GAA

Gardai were called in as things got ugly in Limerick and within minutes of the three concerts being sold out, tickets were swapping hands for more than four times their face value.

The last time Brooks was in Ireland in 1997 he raised the roof off Croke Park, so coming back to Dublin to relaunch his career was a dream come true for the US star.

And once he saw just how in-demand he was and how loyal his devoted fans had stayed throughout his almost two decades in retirement, he added two extra dates to make his comeback run an unprecedented five concerts back-to-back.

Overall ticket sales rocketed to an eye-watering E26 million and the sold-out five gigs meant The Dance crooner Brooks was set to sing his heart out to 400,000 people – almost 10 per cent of the entire population of Ireland – later this month.

The set was custom-made to suit GAA HQ, fans were promised an extravaganza like nothing ever seen before and the country music God himself hired a TV crew to film every second of the heart-stopping action for a special film.

But all the hopes and dreams went up in smoke yesterday when the 52-year-old cancelled all five gigs after Dublin City Council told him he could play just three.

And Eamon O’Brien – chair of the Croke Park Streets Committee – was taking the brunt of devastated fans’ anger last night.

The Tipperary native has been the most vocal opponent of the five-night spectacle that was billed to rake in €50 million for the ailing Irish economy.

Imagine they were even going to make a movie.......

• Registered Users Posts: 18,516 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

jjbrien wrote: »
    I cant stand country music but what shocks me is there is no appeals process. I think the government needs to bring in new regulations to cover appeals. They say its due to planning laws. Didn't the government bring in an bord pleanala to deal with building planning appeals a few years ago? Why cant they do a similar thing for concerts etc plus add a law saying that before any tickets can be sold a license must have been granted.

It's the lack of an appeals process that seems to have led to all the chaos of the last week or so. Had there been one, I'm sure all parties could have thrashed out a deal but the DCC keep saying "Our hands are tied and the decision is final".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

I think these replies are automated, every time someone says something in support of Garth and the 5 Concerts, you have a negative 'different' argument against them!! I've also noticed it with one or two other posters in the last few days... Why are you so against what at the 'least' 400,000 people are fighting for? huh, well.......:cool:

400,000 add their friends and family to also wanting this and your looking at a conservative 2 million vs a group of residents who's support has evaporated.

Parish pump politics at its finest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

Anyway, penos are over so I'm off to bed. Hopefully when I get up tomorrow, my country won't have disgraced itself by talking of bypassing laws or the current processes.

I have a dreaded feeling that this is what's going to happen. :( Now THAT will make me feel embarrassed to be from here.

All the people who said the guy who brought the injunction was bullied into submission.. turns out may all have to eat your words:
    Resident was 'paid €15,000 to help his court case'

THE man who sought a High Court injunction to prevent Garth Brooks' performing in Croke Park was allegedly given a suit and €15,000 to fund the case.

Brian Duff (43), who has withdrawn his court bid, claims that unnamed individuals who "wanted to take the GAA down" provided the cash.

The High Court case is understood to have played a significant role in the decision to pull all of the concerts.

However, the father of four told the Irish Independent that the case wasn't about Garth Brooks and he regrets ever getting involved.

Mr Duff said he sought the money on Sunday while he was at a hurling match in Dublin. He refused to say who paid him but claimed it was people north and south of the border.

"I said 'I'm bringing the GAA to court.' Garth Brooks was a just stepping stone. This money came from people in GAA circles. It's GAA clubs who are sympathetic to the cause," he said.

The scaffolder from Dublin's North Inner City said the money was placed in a bank account early this week. A source also confirmed that he was provided with a suit to wear in court.

The bid to halt all concerts was due to be heard today, but according to Mr Duff, has now been withdrawn.

It is understood that his solicitor was not aware that Mr Duff's case was being funded by other individuals.

A GAA spokesman said that no comment would be made in response to the claims.

Mr Duff was last night in hiding after he and his family were allegedly subjected to death threats.

He contacted Dublin's Lord Mayor Christy Burke after receiving threats but told the Irish Independent that he does not intend to notify gardai.

Asked whether he will be reporting the threats Mr Duff replied: "You can't be a squealer in the North Inner City . . . do you want to get me shot?"

He said he was forced to stay in rented accommodation as a result of the backlash from his court action.

Mr Burke last night pleaded with any individuals making the threats to desist.

The Lord Mayor explained that Mr Duff decided to drop his case after his daughters were targeted for abuse on Facebook.

"There was all sorts of threats made on his life. He had to stay in a B&B as a result. He's pulling the plug on the injunction. He will not be appearing in court," he said.

Brooks rejected a proposal to play just three concerts because he said he was not willing to exclude hundreds of thousands of fans.

But sources close to the council insist that Mr Duff's high court action – which attempted to block all the concerts – may have played a factor.

• Advertisement

Strazdas wrote: »
    Indeed, and the fact that their decision was final and could not be appealed. I wonder if they failed to anticipate the uproar this would cause and that it might put all the concerts in jeopardy.

DCC didn't care anymore than the Croke Park residents opposing the concerts driven by arrogance and self importance believe it had to be their way or the high way. (I was astonished by GAA offering 1/2 million to resident groups and it being snubbed)

GB and GAA have some responsibility but so does the DCC and Residents
    When they bought their houses it would have been painfully obvious the stadium was there as it cast its shadow upon their home. All around the world concerts are played in stadiums why did they believe that this would be an exception. I think their brow beating might have gotten them their way this time but support for their action has evaporated very fast.

I'm not a GB fan but I can see that the fans who bought tickets booked hotels, flights made arrangements to travel to and from Croke Park haven't once been considered. 400,000 who also have family and friends so its easy to say that 2 million people possibly much more where in favor of the concerts.

Airlines, airport, buses, taxis, hotels, pubs, clubs, GAA staff, Garda overtime, street cleaners, restaurants, sweet shops, stall holders, Tee shirt printing, cowboy hats importers, Lorry drivers, and many many spin off business have all also lost out. 50 million goes a long long way when it is passed through many hands in goods and services including a big take for the government as it collects VAT and other taxes.

very shallow victory for residents close to Croke Park and DCC will be getting its ass kicked with reforms of licensees

Wow this is huge....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

visual wrote: »
    400,000 add their friends and family to also wanting this and your looking at a conservative 2 million vs a group of residents who's support has evaporated.

Parish pump politics at its finest.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91208546&postcount=1179

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Gergiev

Strazdas wrote: »
    And 70,000 people from abroad were coming in for the gigs

I wonder about this figure?

From my own previous dealings with Ticketmaster, sales from across the border (ie, the North) were classified as non-national.

Does that 70,000 include sales from the 6 counties?

The way this story is being spun by professionals, it wouldn't be the biggest surprise if it was...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I am not a Garth Brooks fan, I do not have a ticket, I am however in favour of the concerts going ahead but this has turned into an embarrassment of epic proportions. The leader of the COUNTRY is stepping in to try and make this concerts happen, can you imagine Barack Obama or David Camaron doing something like that? I can't because it wouldn't ever happen.

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    I am not a Garth Brooks fan, I do not have a ticket, I am however in favour of the concerts going ahead but this has turned into an embarrassment of epic proportions. The leader of the COUNTRY is stepping in to try and make this concerts happen, can you imagine Barack Obama or David Camaron doing something like that? I can't because it wouldn't ever happen.

I'm pretty sure if the Super Bowl was in danger of not going ahead because of some permit issue, then you're damn right the President of the USA would do what they could to insure that it did. Over a 1/4 Million Irish people where due to attend these concerts and the financial gain would have meant a lot to the country also. It's high time people stopped acting like the this is all about some gig in the Academy or something.

your just highlighting typical parish pump politics

Croke Park is a national asset not a Dumcondra play thing.

anyway planning is not applicable as license to grant the concert for 5 nights was within the power of DCC.

It is also within the ability of Enda Kenny to over rule DCC if he so wants

It is not difficult to understand that for the good of society the majority should always be given consideration over small pressure groups.

If An Taoiseach gets involved in this, then he might as well just resign.
    It's not his place to intervene in matter of planning regulations. http://www.taoiseach.gov.ie/eng/Taoiseach_and_Government/About_the_Taoiseach/Role_of_the_Taoiseach/
    Whether or not the injunction was funded by an interest group or not is irrelevant.
    The fact that the poor sucker that lodged it received death threats shows just how little respect some of those in favor of it have got for the law. It was mentioned here in the last few pages about how judges could be bought etc. etc.

It's all getting a bit ridiculous now:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I'm pretty sure if the Super Bowl was in danger of not going ahead because of some permit issue, then you're damn right the President of the USA would do what they could to insure that it did. Over a 1/4 Million Irish people where due to attend these concerts and the financial gain would have meant a lot to the country also. It's high time people stopped acting like the this is all about some gig in the Academy or something.

It's high time people stopped pretending its the Superbowl.:rolleyes:

They sought permission for a one off event (times 5)
    permission was denied
    None of the presidents business
    None of the taoiseachs business
    Everyone gets their money back (except the people who tried to steamroll the planning regulations)
    Stop talking about a financial gain, because the biggest winner would have been laughing all the way back to Oklahoma.

It's high time people stopped pretending its the Superbowl.:rolleyes:

82,000 people attended the last Superbowl. Pretty much exactly what the capacity of Croke Park is and so this is about 5 times that attendance.

The population of Ireland is: 4.5million. The population of the USA is: 311million.

You do the maths.

I love the whole "taking €50m out of the economy" BS. Do people think that the concert go-ers are now just going to burn all of the money they had planned on spending instead of just spending it elsewhere?

You got it. It just means that money that was to be spent in Dublin on that weekend will now be spent in the person's own locality.

But the economics of 'disposable income' is all the same, wherever it's spent.

An argument could be made about the money spent by visitors with tickets but that's cancelled out by the amount of cash Gareth (sic) is taking home, ballpark 10E million.

Add in the 18 containers of set/gear that he (Brooks) maintains is currently being freighted by ship to Ireland, and you're well north of that as confirmed by Peter Aiken who says that Garret (sic) has spent 'millions' on this...so that money is also leaving the country.

But all these figures are pretty much in the 'eye of the beholder', ie, speculative - including mine, no doubt!

Put it like this, if the government decided to give 400,000 people 70E each in a random lottery, starting next week, ie, 28 million euro, their spin-doctors would be working overtime issuing press releases about the massive boost to the economy and GDP and making the case that this money would be then spent in local bars, restaurants, venues, etc...which is exactly what's happening with the refund!

But we're led to believe that this money is now 'lost' to the economy - lost to the Dublin economy, more like!

As ever, one man's ceiling is another man's floor... :)

Yeee O'Haaa.

Eh, they would never be put in that position!
    and if they where, THEY WOULD....

If An Taoiseach gets involved in this, then he might as well just resign.
    It's not his place to intervene in matter of planning regulations. http://www.taoiseach.gov.ie/eng/Taoiseach_and_Government/About_the_Taoiseach/Role_of_the_Taoiseach/
    Whether or not the injunction was funded by an interest group or not is irrelevant.

Bertie is dead, long live Bertie...

It wouldn't even be a consideration they would be rolling out the red carpet and it would just happen with their lord mayor leading the procession.

here we rolled out the red tape and hold up bad laws

Only in Ireland does the DCC build its offices on historical viking site with all of the thousands protesting against it.
    Only in Ireland does parish pump politics take precedence over the good of the country and its seen as a good thing.

Of course UK and US presidents wouldn't have to get involved as the local states and counties would all be eager to get a slice of the action.

The concerts will be held if not in Ireland somewhere else

82,000 people attended the last Superbowl. Pretty much exactly what the capacity of Croke Park is and so this is about 5 times that attendance.

The population of Ireland is: 4.5million. The population of the USA is: 311million.

You do the maths.

It's not about maths.

The superbowl is a one day event planned from 2 years in advance, there are multiple tender processes involved in staging it, it is the single largest sporting event in the USA, with hundreds of millions watching it live across the world. The president of the USA is normally in attendance (which in itself is a bigger deal, security operation alone, than a Garth Brooks Concert).

This on the other hand is 5 nights in a row of concert-goers (Good chance a proportion of them will be pissed) in a stadium that has previously guaranteed to only run three non-sporting events per year, leaving at 10pm at night to a transport network that struggles on a Sunday Matchday afternoon with the same crowd.

The superbowl, it is not.:confused:

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    The Irish Navy should intercept the ships and sink them.

And on their return to port, drop Jedward back on that sandbank near Malahide, please...

Eh, they would never be put in that position!
    and if they where, THEY WOULD....

would they fcuk.

Boris Johnson would have sorted it out long ago.

• Advertisement

Gergiev wrote: »
    You got it. It just means that money that was to be spent in Dublin on that weekend will now be spent in the person's own locality.

But the economics of 'disposable income' is all the same, wherever it's spent.

An argument could be made about the money spent by visitors with tickets but that's cancelled out by the amount of cash Gareth (sic) is taking home, ballpark 10E million.

Add in the 18 containers of set/gear that he (Brooks) maintains is currently being freighted by ship to Ireland, and you're well north of that as confirmed by Peter Aiken who says that Garret (sic) has spent 'millions' on this...so that money is also leaving the country.

But all these figures are pretty much in the 'eye of the beholder', ie, speculative - including mine, no doubt!

Put it like this, if the government decided to give 400,000 people 70E each in a random lottery, starting next week, ie, 28 million euro, their spin-doctors would be working overtime issuing press releases about the massive boost to the economy and GDP and making the case that this money would be then spent in local bars, restaurants, venues, etc...which is exactly what's happening with the refund!

But we're led to believe that this money is now 'lost' to the economy - lost to the Dublin economy, more like!

As ever, one man's ceiling is another man's floor... :)

Yeee O'Haaa.

you have a very narrow view the beer drunk would be made from crops along with the meat and veg in the restaurants all from someones farm.
    maybe we should stop all the grants as its making some delusional and lose sight of how business is done.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement