Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

Mr Keegan hold firm and do not bend to these pressures , do not embarrass our country

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

secman wrote: »
    Mr Keegan hold firm and do not bend to these pressures , do not embarrass our country

Did he not already bend his knees when he offered four nights instead of three?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Psssssst, it's way, WAY beyond any piddling planning decision now.

Have you heard an objector was PAID and is now in hiding fearing for his life?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Dana could get the priest that fixed her brother to fix it???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭SteM

Fair feckin play to Enda, I said a few days ago he should step in and people told me it would never happen... Well you were wrong.

I hope he piles the pressure on the clown in DCC and some way is found to quash the original decision (or just tear it up and launch it into the bin) and away we go with 5 concerts!!!!! I for one couldn't give two fecks how long the list of rules that have to be broken, in fact the more the better to send the Garth Brooks haters overboard completely.
    I'm sure a judge could be 'encouraged' to throw out any challenge fairly sharpish!

How many laws would like the country to break just so you can send a bunch of people you don't even know 'overboard'.

Other posters are at least arguing the gigs should going ahead based on economic reasons or that it would make a lot of people happy (whether they're correct or not). You just want laws broken to annoy people. It's so incredibly childish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,633 ✭✭✭Floppybits

This is getting ridiculous now. The Lord mayor just on the radio saying some folks have contacted the US embassy to ask if Obama can get involved and the Mexican ambassador has offered their diplomatic skills to try negotiate a deal. Absolutely ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭NORTH1

Red Nissan wrote: »
    Psssssst, it's way, WAY beyond any piddling planning decision now.

Have you heard an objector was PAID and is now in hiding fearing for his life?

52341787 (2).jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

He wouldn't embarrass our country. Maybe dublin, but thats alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭SteM

pc7 wrote: »
    Wonder will revenue take an interest in the 15k gift resting in that guys account

Ah now, it was only resting in the account.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Surely the concerts can't be put back on after already cancelling them?

I know TicketMaster haven't started refunds yet, but people have probably cancelled hotels and cancelled their plans to travel, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭dandyo

Surely Bono at this stage needs to intervene -- Didn't he sort out something somewhere before

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Phoebas wrote: »
    Doesn't fall into CAT thresholds; would be subject to DIRT.
    What's your point?

I thought he'd have to pay tax on it as he was being 'paid' to go to court, I thought he'd have to declare it. Even for money laundering I thought for certain sized lodgements you have to tell where you got the funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭JP85

Is there anything to be said for saying another mass?

I still loved the fact that they were saying that once the decision was made it couldnt be changed, absolute b0lloxology of the highest order, the whole thing is a disgrace, get the gigs on and learn from the mistakes

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭dandyo

+1 for more mass - I love mass

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

cournioni wrote: »
    Probably because one tenth of the population of Ireland would be contributing a great amount to the economy of Ireland over the course of the Garth Brooks concerts. A large amount of it coming from people abroad. If 400,000 people spend on average €150 that is €60m pumped into the local economy, providing jobs etc. If we take it that tax will be taken from it at 23% then that is €13.8m tax directly from it on top of employment etc.

Some people may turn their noses up at it saying yeah but that's 0.0003% of GDP etc. It's still a contribution!! It's better than the current situation where everybody is out money and some of the foreign visitors don't return, advising their friends and family not to bother with Ireland because they're left high and dry with flights and a hotel booked for the gig.

Very different from Saipan, and I am no fan of Kenny.
    And only at the cost of having a musician dictate to us how to run our country. Bargain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

cournioni wrote: »
    Probably because one tenth of the population of Ireland would be contributing a great amount to the economy of Ireland over the course of the Garth Brooks concerts. A large amount of it coming from people abroad. If 400,000 people spend on average €150 that is €60m pumped into the local economy, providing jobs etc. If we take it that tax will be taken from it at 23% then that is €13.8m tax directly from it on top of employment etc.

Some people may turn their noses up at it saying yeah but that's 0.0003% of GDP etc. It's still a contribution!! It's better than the current situation where everybody is out money and some of the foreign visitors don't return, advising their friends and family not to bother with Ireland because they're left high and dry with flights and a hotel booked for the gig.

Very different from Saipan, and I am no fan of Kenny.

The majority of what would have been spent on Garth Brooks will still be spent in Ireland. Not like the local lion dancers who had intended to spend €300 going to Garth Brooks are instead going to just keep the money under their mattress and not spend it on a substitute good. A few straw hats or a new pair of wellies perhaps. Point is that while not all, a significant portion will still be spent on goods with the vat going the same way it would have had it been spent on Brooks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

JP85 wrote: »
    Is there anything to be said for saying another mass?

I still loved the fact that they were saying that once the decision was made it couldnt be changed, absolute b0lloxology of the highest order, the whole thing is a disgrace, get the gigs on and learn from the mistakes

It really has descended into 'is there anything to be said for another mass father?' territory. Sure this morning we had our esteemed lord mayor in the radio suggesting that perhaps the Mexican ambassador and Barrak Obama could be persuaded to negociate a deal. Real bannana republic stuff
    I cringed so hard listening to it that I nearly dissapeared into a singularity.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    I am not a Garth Brooks fan, I do not have a ticket, I am however in favour of the concerts going ahead but this has turned into an embarrassment of epic proportions. The leader of the COUNTRY is stepping in to try and make this concerts happen, can you imagine Barack Obama or David Camaron doing something like that? I can't because it wouldn't ever happen.
    It illustrates the fundamental problem in our system - that local councillors are effectively toothless placeholders. If someone isn't getting satisfaction from their local councillor, they go over their head to a TD and get what they want.

TDs should be legally barred from getting involved in local issues. If you want to make a change locally, get elected locally. If you want to make a change nationally, get elected to the Dail. Until this becomes obvious we'll never get rid of this crap where national representatives get involved in petty local squabbles.

This Brooks thing wasn't embarrassing until the Dail got involved. If anyone was looking for some proof that we're a banana republic, then the Taoiseach intervening in a minor local planning squabble would surely be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

conorhal wrote: »

Ar go on our dat, have a nice cup of tea. The circus may have exposed a plot to overthrow the government, erm I mean the GAA. !!!!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

conorhal wrote: »
    It really has descended into 'is there anything to be said for another mass father?' territory. Sure this morning we had our esteemed lord mayor in the radio suggesting that perhaps the Mexican ambassador and Barrak Obama could be persuaded to negociate a deal. Real bannana republic stuff

I was listening to it on my way to work, I cringed so hard I thought my face was going to invert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

What we need is a concert for the people by the people.

Call it Self Aid or whatever.

Have Chris De Burgh and Christy Moore headline.

Anyone know where we can host it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

They're thinking about getting Barack Obama to intervene. **** sake, that is embarrassing. Just forget the whole event and move on. :confused:

All the things going on and this is what's most important? Laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

My friend has already sent me a picture for a tribute act playing in waterford on Saturday! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

When these concerts are finally cancelled/given the go-ahead it will confirm my long held belief that Ireland is a "Banana Republic" without the climate. Obama is currently dealing with nutjobs in Russia, Ukraine, North Korea, Israel, Syria, Iraq, Gaza and now Garth Brooks....

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

If i was Keegan i would resign if this hillbilly circus goes ahead

Floppybits wrote: »
    This is getting ridiculous now. The Lord mayor just on the radio saying some folks have contacted the US embassy to ask if Obama can get involved and the Mexican ambassador has offered their diplomatic skills to try negotiate a deal. Absolutely ridiculous.

I am just sooooo embarassed by all of this now :(
    Its awful. Enda, Obama, Diplomatic skills.....
    I'm not a fan, not going to shows, had no real interest in any of it. I was surprised the entire gig was cancelled but figured the paperwork should have been done months ago. I was slightly pissed of at the greed of the GAA. But that was the end of it.

Now this today is becoming ridiculous. I am sick of it being headlines on the News and papers all week. Fatal accident in Sligo yesterday - I can imagine those people dont give a **** about whats happening in Croke Park. Real life, real issues. Get a grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

We do get knickers in a twist in this Country and make ourselves look like fools. We love to keep digging holes until we are burying ourselves.

This is descending into "Saipan" or "Henry Hand Ball" territory or has it surpassed it? Its like Delaney asking Blatter to add a 33rd country to the World Cup.

Imagine the thoughts of the rep in the American Embassy when our Christy went and asked him to get Barrack Obama involved. I hate this text speak thing but I've only one thing to say... LOL LOL LOL LOL.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Burke and O Snodaigh went to the same English teacher

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

... and the residents in favour of the gigs are writing to Obama to get him to do something.
    He's just checking his email now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Oh God, will someone just make this embarrassment stop? Mexican ambassadors? Obama? This country has lost it's fcuking mind!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement