Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

seamus wrote: »
    This Brooks thing wasn't embarrassing until the Dail got involved.

Two concerts, for which 160,000 tickets had been sold for (of which almost 20,000 of the ticketholders were from outside of Ireland) were refused licences just three weeks from the date they are due to take place, and for which the promoter had applied for the licences for almost three months before.. and you think all that wasn't embarrassing?? You can't honestly be serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

If people cared as much about abortion legislation or gay marriage or infants being buried in unmarked graves as they do about watching some dude singing a few songs, this country would be a very different place. Talk about skewed priorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,469 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Well that's Fine Gael losing my vote forever more. Absolute gutter politicians.

listen to yer man Christy right now on Ray D'arcy - comparing it to the Good Friday Agreement!!
    full of blown up self importance....... get a grip..... this is crazy :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Two concerts, which 160,000 tickets had been sold for, were refused licences just b]three weeks[/i] from the date they are due to take place, and for which the promoter had applied for the licences for almost three months before.. and you think that wasn't embarrassing?? You can't honestly be serious.

I don't think it was embarrassing at all. Why should a nation be embarrassed because a singer was refused a licence to perform two gigs?

It was Brooks who cancelled all 5 gigs...not the council and it is Brooks using petulant spoiled popstar tactics to get his own way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Two concerts, for which 160,000 tickets had been sold for (of which almost 20,000 of the ticketholders were from outside of Ireland) were refused licences just three weeks from the date they are due to take place, and for which the promoter had applied for the licences for almost three months before.. and you think all that wasn't embarrassing?? You can't honestly be serious.

Are you for real? That is by far the least embarrassing part of this whole debacle.

By far.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,518 ✭✭✭brevity

I feel like I'm in an Anchorman Movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

brevity wrote: »

More like Groundhog Day. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Oh God, will someone just make this embarrassment stop? Mexican ambassadors? Obama? This country has lost it's fcuking mind!

Have to agree. I was on the fence between 'funnier' and 'more embarrassing'.

Really have to go with embarrassing.

Has anybody tried saying 'please please please with a cherry on top'? Or, 'I'll be your best friend'?

Failing that, a dose of the Mrs Doyles might just do the trick. 'Ah, sure ye will Garth. You'll play the gigs. G'wan g'wan....'

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

brevity wrote: »

“I’m in a glass case of emotion!” said Garth Brooks (well maybe it was Ron Burgundy) but I agree its all fecking hilarious now :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

160,000 people who can't read...'subject to licence'.
    I didn't mind them getting their 3 gig before this, now I want none too. I have emailed the residents offering to contribute to an injunction fund to challenge any watering down or putting aside of our laws.

Ridiculous government.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Embarrassing for the promoter that they sold tickets for an exceptional number of back-to-back gigs when they couldn't be sure of obtaining the licences, and now they have to refund people. Now Aiken looks like a gombeen to every big act around the world.

We're not the only country in the world with planning laws, I'm not sure why we should be embarrassed when a promoter has an application refused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

endacl wrote: »

Failing that, a dose of the Mrs Doyles might just do the trick. 'Ah, sure ye will Garth. You'll play the gigs. G'wan g'wan....'

Haahaahaa! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

listen to yer man Christy right now on Ray D'arcy - comparing it to the Good Friday Agreement!!
    full of blown up self importance....... get a grip..... this is crazy :-(

:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,724 ✭✭✭blackwhite

It's not about maths.

The superbowl is a one day event planned from 2 years in advance, there are multiple tender processes involved in staging it, it is the single largest sporting event in the USA, with hundreds of millions watching it live across the world. The president of the USA is normally in attendance (which in itself is a bigger deal, security operation alone, than a Garth Brooks Concert).

This on the other hand is 5 nights in a row of concert-goers (Good chance a proportion of them will be pissed) in a stadium that has previously guaranteed to only run three non-sporting events per year, leaving at 10pm at night to a transport network that struggles on a Sunday Matchday afternoon with the same crowd.

The superbowl, it is not.:confused:

You haven't a f*cking clue what you're talking about - no sitting President has ever attended a Superbowl.

When it looked like the Bears might make it in 2011 there was a huge fuss because Obama would have been the first ever to attend. The Bears collapsed, and Obama didn't go.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭loh_oro

Well if we weren't a laughing stock before we are now. I honestly cant believe what's happening here can we get a grip seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

Ush1 wrote: »
    Well that's Fine Gael losing my vote forever more. Absolute gutter politicians.

That's Enda 'de Country and Western Taoiseach' Kenny for you, one gombeen move for 400,000 votes is a no brainer in that idiots book. There's no Penny's he won't open or concert he won't approve of while in search of a vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I was trying to convince a friend of mine to go to the concert with me before, she wasn't going to but she says if they go ahead now then she's definitely going!! :D:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

loh_oro wrote: »
    Well if we weren't a laughing stock before we are now. I honestly cant believe what's happening here can we get a grip seriously

the green jersey brigade lecture the peasants about "international reputation"

this cringe inducing,watch from behind the couch episode is like something coming out of North Korea

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

pc7 wrote: »
    Wonder will revenue take an interest in the 15k gift resting in that guys account

Its just resting there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Are you for real? That is by far the least embarrassing part of this whole debacle.

By far.

Maybe to you it is, but cancelling an event that 160,000 were due to attend, thousands of which were to fly into the country for, was of course seriously embarrassing for this country. Especially considering we are throwing our hat in the ring to host some of the games for the Rugby World Cup in the not too distant future. Media from around the world have labelled this mess a fiasco. It is not being ignored, as so many on this thread had predicted all week.
    Happyman42 wrote: »
    160,000 people who can't read...'subject to licence'.
    I didn't mind them getting their 3 gig before this, now I want none too. I have emailed the residents offering to contribute to an injunction fund to challenge any watering down or putting aside of our laws.

Ridiculous government.

Oh, so the 160,000 ticket holders should really not be surprised that after purchasing their tickets five months ago, the events gets cancelled just mere weeks before they are due to take place, because 'subject to licence' appears on the tickets. They should somehow have expected it, even though the cancellation / refusal of the licences is unprecedented in that no other event of this size, or anything like it, has ever been refused a licence before.. but still according to you, partially their fault and they "should learn to read". Gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

The mention of Obama is comical and isn't even being report with an iota of irony.

“Mr. President the middle eastern convey on line one. They’re asking for your intervention and redress with the growing unrest and warfare within the Gaza strip”

“………Oh yeah The Irish Taoiseach on line two. He's seeking your help regarding the cancelled Garth Brooks concerts in Croke Park”

Utter gombeens:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

Mindless populism across the political spectrum, from the Taoiseach to the new Lord Mayor, the latter of whom is increasingly becoming Dublin's answer to Jackie Healy-Rae.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

Media from around the world have labelled this mess a fiasco. It is not being ignored, as so many on this thread had predicted all week.
    If you look beyond the wall-to-wall clickbait coverage in the Irish media, you'll see that it was a minor novelty/entertainment story reported in a handful of sources abroad. Not quite a global fiasco. If anything, this story reenforces Ireland's strange lack of perspective about it's place in the world. They're actually not all looking at us.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

It's a pity Peter Sellers and Stanley Kubrick are dead, they could have made a great movie out of this.

Latest news...
    THE man who sought a High Court injunction to prevent Garth Brooks' performing in Croke Park was allegedly given a suit and €15,000 to fund the case.

Brian Duff (43), who has withdrawn his court bid, claims that unnamed individuals who "wanted to take the GAA down" provided the cash.
    :pac::eek::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Maybe to you it is, but cancelling an event that 160,000 were due to attend, thousands of which were to fly into the country for, was of course seriously embarrassing for this country. Especially considering we are throwing our hat in the ring to host some of the games for the Rugby World Cup in the not too distant future. Media from around the world have labelled this mess a fiasco. It is not being ignored, as so many on this thread had predicted all week.

If it's any consolation, the majority of the world don't know about this, and of those who do, very few care. Media outlets worldwide have reported it, and still few care. In August, whether the gigs go ahead or not, it'll be forgotten about.

This won't be a consideration for the Rugby World Cup. It hasn't been when the same thing happened in other countries, so they're not going to suddenly start caring about minor matters in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,248 ✭✭✭nc6000

This is such an embarrassment.

How about when this Garth Brooks nonsense is over our politicians and city councillors put the same amount of effort into solving the homeless crisis in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭loh_oro

Is this really happening ? Obama, Mexican ambassadors, corruption claims, enda intervening, death threats to man who started the complaints and is now in hiding all over a ****ing concert

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Piliger wrote: »
    Something no one has even suggested. Straw argument.

Have you honestly not read any of the posts on this thread? The only way for 5 concerts to go ahead on the dates announced is exactly for that to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Oh, so the 160,000 ticket holders should really not be surprised that after purchasing their tickets five months ago, the events gets cancelled just mere weeks before they are due to take place, because 'subject to licence' appears on the tickets. They should somehow have expected it, even though the cancellation / refusal of the licences is unprecedented in that no other event of this size, or anything like it, has ever been refused a licence before.. but still according to you, partially their fault and they "should learn to read". Gas.

Which bit of 'subject to licence' don't you understand?

They will get a refund, they will get over it, nobody has died here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement