Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Maybe to you it is, but cancelling an event that 160,000 were due to attend, thousands of which were to fly into the country for, was of course seriously embarrassing for this country. Especially considering we are throwing our hat in the ring to host some of the games for the Rugby World Cup in the not too distant future. Media from around the world have labelled this mess a fiasco. It is not being ignored, as so many on this thread had predicted all week.

Oh, so the 160,000 ticket holders should really not be surprised that after purchasing their tickets five months ago, the events gets cancelled just mere weeks before they are due to take place, because 'subject to licence' appears on the tickets. They should somehow have expected it, even though the cancellation / refusal of the licences is unprecedented in that no other event of this size, or anything like it, has ever been refused a licence before.. but still according to you, partially their fault and they "should learn to read". Gas.

I was listening to morning Ireland this morning and there was a piece on about a young Wicklow lad sent to texas for lifesaving cancer treatment. His dad spoke if all the donations he received from the irish at home and then of the irish community who welcomed them when they got there and who have been helping them and how proud he was to be irish

If a few Garth Brooks fans think we should all base our national pride on the cancellation of two concerts they are seriously so deluded.

And yes...if a ticket says subject to license. ..it is subject to license its written clearly on yer ticket!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

seamus wrote: »
    Embarrassing for the promoter that they sold tickets for an exceptional number of back-to-back gigs when they couldn't be sure of obtaining the licences, and now they have to refund people. Now Aiken looks like a gombeen to every big act around the world.

Yes and I have said all week and he and the GAA should be made to answer for their actions, but the way to deal with the mess was not to cancel the concerts. You fine / ban the GAA and Aiken (if found to have acted recklessly) from holding concerts for the next two years, or more if deemed appropriate, but what you don't do is make a decision that in effect punishes 160,000 a few weeks before the concerts are due to take place, making them carry the can for other people's mistakes.

DCC were in talks with Aiken and the GAA LONG before the licence application was made and had ample opportunity to make it clear that they were not allowing more than three concerts, or none at all, if he wanted. Had he even phoned Aiken on the week of the licence applications were received, which was 3 AND HALF MONTHS before these concerts were due to take place (4 WEEKS before the deadline) and told Aiken at that point even, that the DCC would only be willing to licence concerts (or none) then I would back his decision.. but NOT three weeks before the concerts, when they have had three months to get their thumb out of their arse.
    We're not the only country in the world with planning laws, I'm not sure why we should be embarrassed when a promoter has an application refused.

THE TIMING!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭Daith

THE TIMING!!!!!!!

Then the promoter should have applied for licensing earlier......

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

The licensing should be the first thing applied for!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Daith wrote: »

But then he wouldn't have been able to back DCC into a corner by making them make a decision only 3 weeks before the concert. The Timing....!!!! as our good friend has said.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It's truly, truly embarrassing. Residents have contacted the US embassy to be ask Obama to appeal to Garth to come back. And now the Mexican ambassador is on stand by to lend his diplomatic skills.

They're no words to say how farcical this is, with the main farcer (it's now a word) beig that crazy fool of a lord mayor Christy Burke.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

HELP.... I'm addicted to this thread. It's ruining my holidays. I may have to throw my phone away. I unfollow, but I can't stop myself coming back in to check out the latest nonsense. First thing in the morning..... help!
    I'm gonna sue the GAA, Peter Aiken, DCC, Garth Brooks, Mr. Keegan , the residents, Enda Kenna, Christy what's his face.....

OK, I'm going now. I will unfollow, but can't say I won't be back. OK I'll have one last look, then stop. I WILL.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

cournioni wrote: »
    ...everybody is out money...
    I'm not. And the concert goers will get their money back.:confused:
    Obama is currently dealing with nutjobs in Russia, Ukraine, North Korea, Israel, Syria, Iraq, Gaza and now Garth Brooks....

Off-topic but the people in Russia, Ukraine, North Korea, Israel, Syria, Iraq, and Gaza are also having to deal with the nutjobs in Obamaland.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

DCC were in talks with Aiken and the GAA LONG before the licence application was made and had ample opportunity to make it clear that they were not allowing more than three concerts, or none at all, if he wanted.
    How can you approve something you don't have?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,831 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Mindless populism across the political spectrum, from the Taoiseach to the new Lord Mayor, the latter of whom is increasingly becoming Dublin's answer to Jackie Healy-Rae.

It didn't take his ham-fisted interventions in this debacle to show Burke for what he is - just helped bring it to a wider audience.

The system is a joke when an unelected official can make a decision of this magnitude without there being any higher level of review/appeal.

That said, until the system is changed it's a very poor reflection on the country that we have so many people willing to bend and twist the rules to arrive at the right result.

Reading through this thread doesn't do any side of the debate any favours TBH - lies, misinformation, childish name-calling and whole host of nonsense from both sides.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Why is the Mexican embassador getting involved ??

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Mick55

To be perfectly honest this has gotten even bigger than Obama..

We need to cut our losses and apply directly to the UN to resolve this.....

And just to be on the safe side the Illuminati and the Stonecutters

''Who makes Garth Brooks a star..... We do, Weeeee dooooo'' !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

But then he wouldn't have been able to back DCC into a corner .

Yep, there is no doubt in my mind who is pressurising here.
    Aiken is playing this like a Fianna Fail pro.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

the_monkey wrote: »

He loves Garth and line dancing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

Daith wrote: »

Aiken followed the procedure that he always follows. He has been a promoter for over 50 years. He was in discussions with the DCC from before the tickets went on sale. They never gave so much as an inclination that licences might be refused, at any stage. He applied for the licences FOUR weeks BEFORE the deadline. THREE MONTHS later the DCC phone him (on July 2nd) and say something akin to:

DCC:
    "Well Mr.Aiken and Mr/Brooks, I'm sorry to inform you that Dublin City planning authorities are unable to grant you the five licences for the concerts, as due to an agreement the GAA have with the local residents which restricts them to only holding three non-sporting events at Croke Park per year, which they have already used up with One Direction.. but sure listen, we are still willing to offer you three.. how does that sound?"

Brooks:
    "Well, to be honest, I don't think that's very fair on the 160,000 fans that have bought tickets for the final two shows".

DCC:
    "Okay, how about four.. four, will give you four, but now only if you guarantee us that you'll do four. You agree to that and we'll shake on".

Yeah, nothing at all embarrassing about how the DCC conducted themselves at all like.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

He's bringing two piña coladas... one for each hand...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

for the craic? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭Daith

Yeah, nothing at all embarrassing about how the DCC conducted themselves at all like.

Nothing at all. They followed the procedure and allowed three concerts to go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭dandyo

LOL - Not a question one asks every day - where is the next twist - Es muy bueno - Ai Ai Ai

HELP.... I'm addicted to this thread. It's ruining my holidays. I may have to throw my phone away. I unfollow, but I can't stop myself coming back in to check out the latest nonsense. First thing in the morning..... help!
    I'm gonna sue the GAA, Peter Aiken, DCC, Garth Brooks, Mr. Keegan , the residents, Enda Kenna, Christy what's his face.....

OK, I'm going now. I will unfollow, but can't say I won't be back. OK I'll have one last look, then stop. I WILL.

ha ha ha - best laugh so far with all of this :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

I wonder will there be any Ferrero Rocher.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Why not??????

He should lead a three man team, along with Roy Keane and Thierry Henry.

Kato - Where will he appear next?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

LiamoSail wrote: »
    The majority of what would have been spent on Garth Brooks will still be spent in Ireland. Not like the local lion dancers who had intended to spend €300 going to Garth Brooks are instead going to just keep the money under their mattress and not spend it on a substitute good. A few straw hats or a new pair of wellies perhaps. Point is that while not all, a significant portion will still be spent on goods with the vat going the same way it would have had it been spent on Brooks

I've heard of dances with wolves, but dancing with lions???

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yes and I have said all week and he and the GAA should be made to answer for their actions, but the way to deal with the mess was not to cancel the concerts. You fine / ban the GAA and Aiken (if found to have acted recklessly) from holding concerts for the next two years, or more if deemed appropriate, but what you don't do is make a decision that in effect punishes 160,000 a few weeks before the concerts are due to take place, making them carry the can for other people's mistakes.
    And Aiken/the GAA simply up the price of everything at the event to cover their fine.
    The 160,000 people who bought tickets are not DCC's problem. DCC didn't force Aiken to sell the tickets without the licence in place.
    DCC were in talks with Aiken and the GAA LONG before the licence application was made and had ample opportunity to make it clear that they were not allowing more than three concerts, or none at all, if he wanted. Had he even phoned Aiken on the week of the licence applications were received, which was 3 AND HALF MONTHS before these concerts were due to take place (4 WEEKS before the deadline) and told Aiken at that point even, that the DCC would only be willing to licence concerts (or none) then I would back his decision.. but NOT three weeks before the concerts, when they have had three months to get their thumb out of their arse.
    Aiken was perfectly aware of the 12 week lead time yet he didn't even apply for the licence until 3 months after the dates had been announced.

I don't see why DCC have any obligation to fast-track applications or break the rules here. Aiken fncked up. Nobody else. He was likely employing his own strongarming tactics - applying for the licences super-late in the hope that DCC wouldn't have the balls to turn them down so close to the gig dates.

Tough ****, Aiken, you lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Nuts tho really, Enda Kenny too getting involved, you didn't get involved with the child abuse scandals did you Enda ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Brooks:
    "Well, to be honest, I don't think that's very fair on the 160,000 fans that have bought tickets for the final two shows".

DCC:
    "Okay, how about four.. four, will give you four, but now only if you guarantee us that you'll do four. You agree to that and we'll shake on".[/]

Aren't these conversations that should have happened before the tickets for gigs 4 and 5 went on sale or the gigs even announced?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭That_Girl_ Is_ A_Cowboy

Sickening stuff

Wow! A good thing ruined by a pack of protesters with a grudge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

This is going to make a brilliant stage farce if someone fancies writing one.

• Advertisement

I was only going to see Shane Filan - met him in the Job Market, seems like a nice lad

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement