Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭dandyo

Bang Ki Moon has told the Middle East to sort it out between themselves- Ireland needs me as Shane Filan concert cancelled

• Registered Users Posts: 12,156 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

dandyo wrote: »
    Any update from the Mexican embassy yet ?

They have just held a press conference and come up with a solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,952 ✭✭✭Daith

Isn't that what everything boils down to at the end of the day. If not it's just a cowboy with a hat singing in a well kept field.

Yes and because there's a large sum of money we should forget about things like planning permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,571 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I accounted for that when arriving at my figure.

7% of the population is only 315,000 people, or thereabouts.
    Now you are back tracking.
    What about these alleged 70k that are coming into the country for the gig?
    The population is over 4.5 million.
    You have no avcess to ticketing information.

I would suggest you pulled the figure from thin air basing it on back of beer mat analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭h2005

Now he'll have his GAA buddies on his back for dropping the injunction. The fcuking loser.

He's proven so trust worthy so far that you're going to take his word that it was the GAA behind the injunction? The guy is an attention and money seeking clown. He's not to be trusted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

kippy wrote: »
    Now you are back tracking.
    What about these alleged 70k that are coming into the country for the gig?
    The population is over 4.5 million.
    You have no avcess to ticketing information.

I would suggest you pulled the figure from thin air basing it on back of beer mat analysis.

How am I "backtracking"? That would imply I have changed my mind, or the figure in some way.. I haven't.

Are you just fond of the word 'backtracking' or something?

Anyway, here's my breakdown:

400,000 tickets sold.
    70,000 purchased abroad.
    15,000 multiple attendees.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

seamus wrote: »
    So it's about the number of people then? We should just ignore planning laws and make it up as we go along? What's the threshold at which a local council is required to say, "We're not authorised to make planning decisions in our own jurisdiction, we have to refer this one to the Taoiseach"?

How does the volume of tickets sold make it a national issue? It doesn't matter that people wanted to come from Gdansk to see the show, it's not a Polish matter. It's a local planning issue, and nothing more.

To pretend that a series of shows being particularly large suddenly makes it an issue of national importance goes to show why we can never escape this cycle of parish pump politics; because the Joe Duffy brigade still seem to think that everything unpleasant which happens to them is of national importance.
    €10m+ tax revenue over the course of 5 nights. Is of national interest, same applies to any time there are major job losses in the country. If Whelan's were able to pull in this amount over five days it would also be of National interest. To say otherwise is daft.

The DCC have made their decision based on the agreement between the residents and the GAA have they not? Why did they agree to three and four nights and not five or zero?

cournioni wrote: »
    The DCC have made their decision based on the agreement between the residents and the GAA have they not? Why did they agree to three and four nights and not five or zero?

No they haven't. They based their decision on objections lodged by the residents and decided that three concerts could go ahead.

When you need planning permission, people can lodge objections. It's not something unique to Croke Park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

- People who were planning on travelling up from the country will no longer need a hotel. So thats wasted.
    - Restaurants lose out.
    - Bars too.
    - Also public transport.

It is not just the gig. Businesses lose out too. So there is a loss to the economy.

Yea certain private businesses lose out, the economy doesn't though because are just going to spend that money anyway somewhere else.

Daith wrote: »
    You need to do this also. DCC did not do anything wrong.

It does seem that money decides what laws we follow though.
    What is their basis for offering a fourth night rather than the initial three? Why not five or zero?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

How am I "backtracking"? That would imply I have changed my mind, or the figure in some way.. I haven't.

400,000 tickets sold.
    70,000 purchased abroad.

What percentage of that want our planning laws thrown out I wonder?

I know I wouldn't want the law broken or ignored just to enjoy a night out.
    Hardcore fans are driving the outrage over this, a small percentage of the 400,000. Most others will take their refund and get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

I have tickets for the Friday night show and I really think this crap is so far blown it's not even funny. What is wrong with the Irish people? No one gives this much time to the real problems we have in the country yet we have every 2 bit politician coming out of the woodwork to give their opinion. They should stay out of it - If this gets overturned does that mean I can call Enda if I ever need planning to be overturned. An extreme example but you get my point. We can't live in a country where we do not want politicians to be able to overturn rulings yet want them to be able to when GB turns up and demands 5 shows.

I also think it's disrespectful for them to actually do a u turn now. They have stated the concerts are cancelled 2 days ago now. I assume some people are going to make other plans for those dates and people are calling the hotels to cancel, flights are being cancelled etc...

Can GB really turn around now and say, it's all back on lads. Book your hotels, get on those planes. The scary thing about that is that people will make him out to be some hero yet forget the fact he cancelled the 5 shows in the first place instead of just doing the 3!

I also love how the story is now turning in to some Northies are trying to take the GAA down - http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/mystery-grows-as-man-who-tried-to-stop-garth-brooks-gigs-claims-i-was-given-12000-to-fund-court-case-30420766.html

• Registered Users Posts: 18,571 ✭✭✭✭kippy

400,000 tickets sold.
    70,000 purchased abroad.

What is their basis for offering a fourth night rather than the initial three? Why not five or zero?

They could have approved zero concerts, one concerts, two concerts, three concerts, four concerts or five concerts.

Their basis was on the impact to the residents.

However once again DCC have done nothing wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Not one person here gives a damn about the residents. This is a Dublin versus country thread.

No it's not...it's much more basic.....Purchase houses vs Rented Houses....The RESIDENTS Association vs The TENANTS association.

We have been down this road many times before,all over the country,as our Social Structures "developed".

In the UK,our national role model,Margaret Hilda Thatcher,recognised these developments very early on and based her entire political philosophy on using it to the best advantage of her party....;)

All North Inner City Dublin is now experiencing is the inevitable outcome of the Irish version of her policies.

Nobody as yet appears to have asked what about the significant outlays already made in relation to "Merchandising" stuff....sourced from all over the world and well on it's way by now...all paid for up front.....and now valueless...does anybody really think that sort of loss can simply be accepted by any "entrepreneur" without a fight...?

The many,perviously hidden,details in this article go some way towards broadening our perspective of "reality"...Irish style

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/resident-was-paid-15000-to-help-his-court-case-30420588.html

When it gets down to basics,earning a crust trumps the "Rights of Man" any day...irespective of what Thomas Paine may have thought.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Jesus Christ, this is the sort of moron we're dealing with here...
    KILLARNEY’S King of Country has described the Garth Brooks concert saga as “a total mess” and he has suggested it would never have happened if Bertie Ahern was still in power.
    Country star Dermot Moriarty agreed he initially thought Brooks was bluffing and would play three concerts but he is still hopeful that something can be “pulled out of the hat”.
    Moriarty, a popular country and western singer himself, said he agrees with his brother, Mike, who maintains Bertie Ahern would have sorted the problem without any great fuss.
    “He would have sat around the table with all these people. He would have met with the residents and everybody involved and this would not have happened,” Moriarty said.
    “He sat around big tables all through his career sorting out the North and stuff like that,” he said on Radio Kerry where is he a veteran presenter of a country music show.
    The Killarney singer suggested that Taoiseach Enda Kenny might be too busy cycling or that, being from Mayo, he might not have the contacts Ahern had in Dublin.
    Moriarty said Garth Brooks might have been told to “stick his ground” and briefed on what to say to see if something would happen but the cancellation of the five concerts was a huge loss to the country.
    ”This is serious. It was money for the whole country, not just for Dublin.
    “There were people coming over to spend two weeks in Ireland on holidays. They could have been in Killarney or Kenmare for the week before or after the concert,” he said.
    “This is big business. This will never again be seen. The loss of the five gigs is frightening.”
    Moriarty recalled that about three years ago Garth Brooks played eight concerts in a row in Nashville without a problem, even though it was initially meant to have been one.
    “Here we are in a small little bit of a country with a major problem,” he said.

http://www.killarneytoday.com/brooks-saga-will-cost-killarney/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

No they haven't. They based their decision on objections lodged by the residents and decided that three concerts could go ahead.

When you need planning permission, people can lodge objections. It's not something unique to Croke Park.
    Yes they have, they took the agreement into account when making their decision after taking objections on board.

Why they chose to agree to three and then four nights instead of five night or zero nights is very ambiguous and is rightly under scrutiny from TD's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Reati wrote: »

Personally, if there is anything to be gained from the whole debacle it is that it has exposed a real crisis within the GAA. A struggle between the real ethos of the organisation and the corporate, bottom line must be met, GAA.

That needs addressing by all Gaels imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

They could have approved zero concerts, one concerts, two concerts, three concerts, four concerts or five concerts.

Their basis was on the impact to the residents.

However once again DCC have done nothing wrong.

Are you sure? Why did they allow the redevelopment of Croke Park as an 85,000 seater stadium and then not allow it to be used to its potential?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I don't think it was embarrassing at all. Why should a nation be embarrassed because a singer was refused a licence to perform two gigs?

It was Brooks who cancelled all 5 gigs...not the council and it is Brooks using petulant spoiled popstar tactics to get his own way.
    Listen, if it turned out Brooks was head of a world wide paedophile ring, his fans would either ignore it or blame it on the residents around croke park. All he has to say is he loves his fans in Ireland and he can do no wrong.
    If you look beyond the wall-to-wall clickbait coverage in the Irish media, you'll see that it was a minor novelty/entertainment story reported in a handful of sources abroad. Not quite a global fiasco. If anything, this story reenforces Ireland's strange lack of perspective about it's place in the world. They're actually not all looking at us.
    Exactly. It was a small bit in music news sections, but now a few people are laughing at the big deal the GB fans are making of it. Everywhere else a concert doesn't get the go ahead, that's it. Everyone gets on with their lives. But Irish GB fans moan and moan about it, and in typical irish auld one fashion, go to their local TD's about it. That's the only embarressing part of this whole episode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

It you think our glorious Taoiseach sticking his red nose in is out of concern for tax take or national interest you're deluding yourself,he's trying to buy votes the only way a gombeen politician knows how to,cute hoorism and ignoring planning decisions.The ''he fixed the road'' vote that has the country in the state that its in.

Kenny has no right to be getting involved.It shows a complete lack of respect for Dublin City Council's (fair) planning decision.Also shows that nothing has changed since the days of politicians interfering in matters for personal gain,despite all the buzzwords like accountability and transparency Kenny and his ilk like to spew out every now and again.

Yes they have, they took the agreement into account when making their decision after taking objections on board.

Why they chose to agree to three and then four nights instead of five night or zero nights is very ambiguous
    and is rightly under scrutiny from TD's.

It's not ambiguous at all. They clearly stated that five nights would be too much.

What should be under scrutiny is why TDs want to get involved in planning permission because large figures are been thrown around. That's always a good idea.

Are you sure? Why did they allow the redevelopment of Croke Park as an 85,000 seater stadium and then not allow it to be used to its potential?

You mean as an event for GAA matches and the occasional non sporting event? They allowed three non sporting events and the option to apply for more.

If the Brooks concerts weren't five nights in a row we probably would not be having this discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

I know who they need call next

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Why they chose to agree to three and then four nights instead of five night or zero nights is very ambiguous and is rightly under scrutiny from TD's.
    Agreed, it should be under scrutiny but the problem is that the TD's are attempting to influence rather then observe. Here be dragons.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

It you think our glorious Taoiseach sticking his red nose in is out of concern for tax take or national interest you're deluding yourself,he's trying to buy votes the only way a gombeen politician knows how to,cute hoorism and ignoring planning decisions.The ''he fixed the road'' vote that has the country in the state that its in.

Kenny has no right to be getting involved.It shows a complete lack of respect for Dublin City Council's (fair) planning decision.Also shows that nothing has changed since the days of politicians interfering in matters for personal gain,despite all the buzzwords like accountability and transparency Kenny and his ilk like to spew out every now and again.

Dublin is failry good at looking after it's own $hit alright. Lets see DCC handle the housing crisis gripping the city forcing rents higher and higher and pricing people out of homes and rental accommodation.

It's not ambiguous at all. They clearly stated that five nights would be too much.

What should be under scrutiny is why TDs want to get involved in planning permission because large figures are been thrown around. That's always a good idea.
    Yes it is. They gave approval for three of the concerts stating that three was enough. So then why offer a fourth? That is what you call ambiguous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Alan as Ireland Dan as Garth.

• Advertisement

Yes it is. They gave approval for three of the concerts stating that three was enough. So then why offer a fourth? That is what you call ambiguous.

Why would a fourth matter? Can you show me the DCC decision to offer fourth though?

For Brooks it was all or nothing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement