Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭dandyo

He's lost the trust of his sheep. That's punishment enough for a farmer who deals primarily......with sheep.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

OldGoat wrote: »
    Agreed, it should be under scrutiny but the problem is that the TD's are attempting to influence rather then observe. Here be dragons.
    I agree with that. But that still does not take away from the fact that the DCC have to take as much of the blame for this as anybody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,952 ✭✭✭Daith

cournioni wrote: »
    I agree with that. But that still does not take away from the fact that the DCC have to take as much of the blame for this as anybody else.

No they don't. They followed the procedure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Daith wrote: »

Have you access to minutes of DCC meetings?

Have you access to minutes of DCC meetings?

Do you know how planning permission works?

There was no obligation for DCC to allow any of these concerts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

How am I "backtracking"? That would imply I have changed my mind, or the figure in some way.. I haven't.

Are you just fond of the word 'backtracking' or something?

Anyway, here's my breakdown:

400,000 tickets sold.
    70,000 purchased abroad.
    15,000 multiple attendees.

Wishiwasha, this in an honest question that I'd like to know the answer to and you might be the best to answer so can you tell me if there was correspondence between Aiken and DCC in the time between the third date selling out on January 30 and the forth concert being announced on February 3? And again between date 4 selling out and date 5 being announced. Sorry if the dates are incorrect but they're in that timeframe so you know what I mean.

I'm interested to know because you talk about Aiken following the correct process so the level of discussions between the 2 during these periods would be good to know to either validate or dismiss that claim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

kippy wrote: »
    Where are you getting 15000 from? That would asdume 7500 buying for two nights ( and all other combinations etc...)

Eh, maths fail...

15,000 multiple attendees means just that.

It would actually be 30,000 tickets.. but you subtract 15,000 because you don't want to count the same person twice ;)
    You backtrack because you suggest youve already accounted for this when you plainly dont have accurate figures to account for this....
    Even if you are right, and my figure is wrong.. that is not backtracking, that's just.. being wrong.

You imply I didn't allocate for multiple attendees when coming up with my 7% figure. Well, if that's the case, then why does my percentage equate to 315,000 tickets? I mean, we all know that 70,000 are coming from abroad. So tell me why then I subtracted a further 15,000, if not to allocate for multiple attendees. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Just heard from a relative in dcc that it's back on !!!! No way , can't believe it ! Only 3 nights though but better than nothing !!

So celebrate ffs !!

Fans won !!

Well done !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

italodisco wrote: »
    Just heard from a relative in dcc that it's back on !!!! No way , can't believe it ! Only 3 nights though but better than nothing !!

So celebrate ffs !!

Fans won !!

Well done !!

How would the DCC know this? Garth cancelled the 3 nights so he'd be the first one to come out with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,571 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Eh, maths fail...

15,000 multiple attendees means just that.

It would actually be 30,000 tickets.. but you subtract 15,000 because you don't want to count the same person twice ;)

Even if you are right, and my figure is wrong.. that is not backtracking, that's just.. being wrong.

You imply I didn't allocate for multiple attendees when coming up with my 7% figure. Well, if that's the case, then why does my percentage equate to 315,000 tickets? I mean, we all know that 70,000 are coming from abroad. So tell me why then I subtracted a further 15,000, if not to allocate for multiple attendees. Cheers.

Have you access to the data?

• Advertisement

How would the DCC know this? Garth cancelled the 3 nights so he'd be the first one to come out with this.

I never said dcc announced it you clown.

Oh ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

So celebrate ffs !!

Fans won !!

Well done !!

DCC always allowed 3 nights, it was Aiken or Brooks, nobody seems to know which, that cancelled because they couldn't get all 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Oh ffs

When did I say you said DCC announced it? Learn to read.

Why would a fourth matter? Can you show me the DCC decision to offer fourth though?

For Brooks it was all or nothing.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/promoter-rejected-olive-branch-of-fourth-garth-brooks-concert-1.1859859

It matters because it shows up their decision making process to be utterly ambiguous. The fourth night was accepted, what changed that it wasn't accepted in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

If I read the posts correctly (and at this stage my head is melted) the 4 gigs were talked about as part of the negotiation process before the announcment was made publicly.
    I imagine the scene was something along the lines of

DCC: You know we don't have to give you any but in the interest of compromise between you and the local residents we will give you 3.
    GB/PA: Nope, I want all 5.
    DCC: We could probably push it to 4, it'll be a hard sell but it's the very best we can manage.
    DCC: Are ye sure now cos we have to make an announcement. The good people of Boards are waiting.
    DCC: Announcement - We will allow 3 gigs. Now it's up to Garth.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Oh ffs

Why are you getting abusive?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

So celebrate ffs !!

Fans won !!

Well done !!

Yeeeeeeeee Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwww.

Bang Bang Bang

What procedure led to the acceptance of the fourth night?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

On a completely different note, does anyone know why there was no support act on night 1.

Surely the tickets for that concerts should have been cheaper.

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/promoter-rejected-olive-branch-of-fourth-garth-brooks-concert-1.1859859

It matters because it shows up their decision making process to be utterly ambiguous. The fourth night was accepted, what changed that it wasn't accepted in the first place?
    Mr Keegan told the promoters there was little likelihood five concerts would be permitted and it was probable licences would be granted for just three.
    The promoters advised Mr Keegan that Brooks would not agree to this.

So basically the promoters were told that three events were likely to happen and the promoters wanted all five.

So the promoters couldn't care less about planning permission. Great

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

So celebrate ffs !!

Fans won !!

Well done !!

I thought the meeting wasn't until 3?

And what about his 160,000 children that will still miss out? That's hardly a win for them.

bear1 wrote: »
    Why are you getting abusive?

Honestly , as an adult that has lived and been in the outside world would you really consider that a terrible act of abuse ?

I withdraw my 'clown' comment in case it upsets someone deeply.

Comment withdrawn mod

What procedure led to the acceptance of the fourth night?

The promoters not accepting that three events would go ahead and trying to get all five concerts. Essentially saying that planning permission is a trivial thing to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

what on earth is going on?

The concerts have been cancelled, plans have been changed and NOW there's talk of him doing the three nights?

WTF?

Can I get my money back?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Bravobabe

I hear Jesus is thinking of making a come-back tour. But he is no imposing any restrictions on the number of nights and doesn't think he should make too much fuss.

The promoters not accepting that three events would go ahead and trying to get all five concerts. Essentially saying that planning permission is a trivial thing to them.
    I agree with you that the promoters have a part in the blame, but that is not what you and I are discussing here. We are discussing DCC's part in the blame and like it or not, they have a part in it through their ambiguous decisions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Honestly , as an adult that has lived and been in the outside world would you really consider that a terrible act of abuse ?

I withdraw my 'clown' comment in case it upsets someone deeply.

Comment withdrawn mod

What do you mean the 3 gigs are back on? They where never off...Garth just didn't want to do them.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭dandyo

Disparaging the boot is a boot-able offence

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭onlyme!

So celebrate ffs !!

Fans won !!

Well done !!

line up everyone ....Lets Dance!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

I agree with you that the promoters have a part in the blame, but that is not what you and I are discussing here. We are discussing DCC's part in the blame and like it or not, they have a part in it through their ambiguous decisions.

What's 'ambigious' about 3 are licenced, 2 are not? Discussions pre a decision don't come into it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement