Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Happyman42 wrote: »
    What do you mean the 3 gigs are back on? They where never off...Garth just didn't want to do them.

They were off and for a brief period, we had certainty. Refunds all round, pity about the mess, move on. They WERE officially cancelled, as per all the emails we received saying that our refunds would be on their way on Tuesday.

Now there's talk of them being on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Ah please someone help me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭Daith

cournioni wrote: »
    I agree with you that the promoters have a part in the blame, but that is not what you and I are discussing here. We are discussing DCC's part in the blame and like it or not, they have a part in it through their ambiguous decisions.

It's not ambiguous. They offered three. Promoters refused and said all or nothing. They then said they could discuss the possibility of a fourth
    However, before Mr Keegan made any approach to the planners, Aiken Promotions responded that unless all five concerts were permitted, Brooks would not appear. “The offer to approach the decision-maker was then withdrawn by the chief executive,” the council said.

Four might have been suggested but it doesn't mean it was a certainty.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

All 5 WILL go ahead I think, but not 5 nights in a row.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

The source being a relative of someone who posts on Boards. Have we heard this from anyone else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

this keeps getting worse and worse, i was all for 3 going ahead, now i wish they would just stick to the decision to cancel all 5 and just plan for 2015 or 2016 for the next gb concerts, the residents looking to call on obama , you' couldn't make this up ted

The source being a relative of someone who posts on Boards. Have we heard this from anyone else?

no, but the point is that they were cancelled, now Enda's sticking HIS oar in to try and get them back on. What about all the plans that have already been changed? If you cancel something, you cancel it. End of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Flem31

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    On a completely different note, does anyone know why there was no support act on night 1.

Surely the tickets for that concerts should have been cheaper.

If the 5 concerts go ahead and no support act on the first night.....would that not be the ideal slot for the saviour Enda to make a short speech and receive the wild adulation of the grateful fans.....he might need to find an Obama speech for the occasion, but in the last five years as President, Obama must have spoken to some country and western fans at least once. Copy and Paste

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

italodisco wrote: »
    Honestly , as an adult that has lived and been in the outside world would you really consider that a terrible act of abuse ?

I withdraw my 'clown' comment in case it upsets someone deeply.

Comment withdrawn mod

I never said it's a terrible act of abuse but it isn't warranted.
    The person asked you a simple question and you became insulting.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭dandyo

Have Mexico stood down their offer of a Non-Union Mexican equivalent yet , Senor Garth Brookso ?

• Advertisement

this keeps getting worse and worse, i was all for 3 going ahead, now i wish they would just stick to the decision to cancel all 5 and just plan for 2015 or 2016 for the next gb concerts, the residents looking to call on obama , you' couldn't make this up ted

It's cringeworthy to be honest, even the Mexican ambassador is getting involved.
    You'd swear DCC had cancelled the second coming by the sounds of it.
    Two solutions, either GB stops acting like an idiot and do the 3 concerts and then the other 2 some other time or DCC allows the 5 to go ahead this last time and introduce legislation so that it never happens again.
    Win win for everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

They were off and for a brief period, we had certainty. Refunds all round, pity about the mess, move on. They WERE officially cancelled, as per all the emails we received saying that our refunds would be on their way on Tuesday.

3 concerts where never off as far as the DCC are concerned. GARTH cancelled them...only he can relent and play them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

After reading several pieces in this mornings Indo. Can any of the local Croke Park Street Committes members (if any are posting here) explain the difference in "being treated like prostitutes" (Eamonn O'Brien's words) over accepting €500,000, yet Mr. Duff's accepting €15,000 (And a suit) is not? Do the ends justify the means?

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭curioser

kippy wrote: »
    Bringing some money into the area? The GAA need one replay a year in croker a year to bring the same amount of people into the area on top of the rest of the matches played there.
    That's it then, Leinster football final is destined to end in a draw, another full house for the replay and GAA's losses on concert are wiped out.

3 concerts where never off as far as the DCC are concerned. GARTH cancelled them...only he can relent and play them.

It doesn't matter a damn what DCC said about those three, Aiken Promotions cancelled them - they were off. What's so difficult about that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Flem31

Maybe Gareth will be named in tomorrow's cabinet reshuffle.....but which role would suit best ?
    Not Minister for Children anyway as he can't choose between them and would prefer to see them all perish.......Minister for Communications\Propaganda\Hollow Words perhaps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

According to RTE the meeting between Burke and Keegan will now take place at 5pm which is the same time as Garth's isn't it?

Should we expect a tele-conference between the 2 of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭Daith

bear1 wrote: »
    Win win for everyone.

Except for the residents who lodged legitimate complaints only to see them ignored when money is involved?

It doesn't matter a damn what DCC said about those three, Aiken Promotions cancelled them - they were off. What's so difficult about that?

So what you are saying is that your relative has heard that Aiken have contacted DCC to say the 3 concerts are back on?

Garth : 5 Concerts is more a Shelbyville idea
    Enda : Uh er, Just tell us what you want and we will vote for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭stmol32

Utter fanboy nonsense......

..... First fracking, then windfarms, now cowboys, maybe we can regain our credibility as a proud stubborn nation once again.

First they came for the Fracking, and I did not speak out—
    Because I don't really understand what that is if I'm being honest.

Then they came for the Windfarms, and I did not speak out—
    Because I was not a farmer of ....wind I suppose?!? How does that work actually?

Then they came for the cowboys, and I did not speak out—
    Because I was not a Jew - or whatever (losing the run of this now).

Then they came for the humourless hippies who couldn't understand sarcasm or when people of the internet were actually agreeing with them.

So what you are saying is that your relative has heard that Aiken have contacted DCC to say the 3 concerts are back on?

I think you need to go back and read who said what.

I never said Aiken said anything to DCC about them being back on.

I said:

1. The concerts were cancelled.
    2. Now there's talk of them being back on.

How from that did you take that I said that Aiken have contacted DCC to say that the 3 concerts are back on? Spectacular leaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Daith wrote: »
    Except for the residents who lodged legitimate complaints only to see them ignored when money is involved?

http://i.imgur.com/hRRR8X7.jpg

I said:

How from that did you take that I said that Aiken have contacted DCC to say that the 3 concerts are back on? Spectacular leaps.

Apologies...I was conversing with the wrong poster. Was meant for Italodisco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

Wishiwasha, this in an honest question that I'd like to know the answer to and you might be the best to answer so can you tell me if there was correspondence between Aiken and DCC in the time between the third date selling out on January 30 and the forth concert being announced on February 3? And again between date 4 selling out and date 5 being announced. Sorry if the dates are incorrect but they're in that timeframe so you know what I mean.

I'm interested to know because you talk about Aiken following the correct process so the level of discussions between the 2 during these periods would be good to know to either validate or dismiss that claim.

We have three statements (GAA, Aiken and the DCC) regarding the discussions that took place (both pre-licence-applcaition and post-licence-applcaition). The statements (and many comments in the media) from Aiken and the GAA remain consistenat and most importantly, make sense. They say that they received no indication at any point, from the DCC, suggesting there were issues with the concerts, of such gravitas, that it would mean some of the nights would not be granted licences.

DCC statements and actions however are contradictory. They say they made it clear to Aiken and the GAA that there were issues with the concerts and yet, despite knowing this, it took them almost three months after the applications to phone Aiken and let him know that they were refusing to licence two nights. That does not make sense whatsoever. To say that they were adamant with Aiken all along and yet didn't make the refusal official for three months, just weeks before the concerts are due to take place, sounds like total hogwash. It also took Aiken to inform us of the proposal to put four concerts to the planners if Brooks assured he would do them, if granted them. Not mentioning this themselves, makes them look as if they deliberately omitted it to save face and if they could do that, then what else have they omitted, or whitewashed to make themselves look as if they did everything by the book, in a timely fashion.

It's simple: Aiken and the GAA's story makes sense and is consistent with their behavior, the DCC's is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I said:

I don't think he/she was talking to or about you, another poster has said that they have heard from a relative that works in DCC that 3 concerts are back on. Now whether the relative works in DCC, or knows someone that knows someone who works in DCC is yet to be determined.

Daith wrote: »

Well to be fair, they lodged complaints only one person lodged an injunction which he has now retracted.
    Of course it wouldn't be fair to them at all if it were given the go ahead. I hadn't thought of them.

muddypaws wrote: »
    I don't think he/she was talking to or about you, another poster has said that they have heard from a relative that works in DCC that 3 concerts are back on. Now whether the relative works in DCC, or knows someone that knows someone who works in DCC is yet to be determined.

Don't hold your breathe, that poster isn't allowed to post here anymore.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Well I have heard from 2 sources now that all 5 are back on, last night Shane Filan was apparently booked as support again for 5 nights.

The other rumour i head is that there will be a break in the gigs so 3 nights then a break of a few days then 2 more nights.

• Advertisement

Lies make baby Jesus cry

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement