Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

So how were they not legitimate? Go on, enlighten us.

According to RTE the meeting between Burke and Keegan will now take place at 5pm which is the same time as Garth's isn't it?

Should we expect a tele-conference between the 2 of them?

DCC are meeting at 3pm on the issue not 5pm.

Joan Burton says new facts have emerged also which could lead to a resolution. Id imagine its fake resident objections or DCC messing up that this is referring. Things looking a lot lot better now, these concerts might happen yet :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

DCC statements and actions however are contradictory. They say they made it clear to Aiken and the GAA that there were issues with the concerts and yet, despite knowing this, it took them almost three months after the applications to phone Aiken and let him know that they were refusing to licence two nights

They gave advice to Aiken which he chose to ignore. Upon receipt of the application they followed due process as they are obliged to do and then made their decision in or around the appropriate time (April 17 - 2 June = 10.5 weeks). They are not required to phone an applicant of their thoughts during an application process and I would have thought that's a good thing. They cannot be blamed for Aiken ignoring their advice

Now do you have an answer to my question as I think it's important to know whether Aiken booked a 4th concert without informing DCC?

DCC are meeting at 3pm on the issue not 5pm.

Joan Burton says new facts have emerged also which could lead to a resolution. Id imagine its fake resident objections or DCC messing up that this is referring. Things looking a lot lot better now, these concerts might happen yet :D

I had read 3:00 as well this morning but the RTE website now says 5:00. Could be a typo though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

Ahem.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭dandyo

Breaking news from Mexican Ambassador -- "El Senor Brooks no es macho, es solamente un borracho"

Yep, that one was very odd. Idiots on both sides, from money to death threats.

Doesn't mean the complaints from residents are illegitimate though, so my post still stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

The guy that was bringing the injunction against the 'concerts' has said he was basically paid to do so, and that it didn't even have anything to do with the concerts or concerns people had about them. It was in opposition to the GAA.

Gardai are separately investigating instances of forgeries and fraudulent submissions to DCC from concerned 'residents'

The chairperson / leader of the residents association isn't even from the area and is a full time windbag who opposes anything to do with the GAA and Croke Park. Residents associations don't usually tend to be single issue presure groups.. yet the ones that O'Brien is involved with certainly are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

What is wrong with somebody accepting money to pursue a court case?

• Advertisement

Damn. Indo now reporting that the White House have said they won't be getting involved. Looks like Israel/Palestine and domestic issues like some bloke shooting 6 people dead take precedence. The selfish b'stard.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Gardai are separately investigating instances of forgeries and fraudulent submissions to DCC from concerned 'residents'
    It's worth pointing out that those are currently accusation and while personally I believe people probably did forge submissions, it doesn't mean all are forged. There are legitimate submissions.
    The chairperson / leader of the residents association isn't even from the area and is a full time windbag who opposes anything to do with the GAA and Croke Park. Residents associations don't usually tend to be single issue presure groups.. yet the ones that O'Brien is involved with certainly are.
    Garth Brooks isn't from the country, yet people are bending over to accommodate him, so residency doesn't seem to be an issue in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Damn. Indo now reporting that the White House have said they won't be getting involved. Looks like Israel/Palestine and domestic issues like some bloke shooting 6 people dead take precedence. The selfish b'stard.

I can't believe this even reached the WH...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

jonny24ie wrote: »
    All 5 WILL go ahead I think, but not 5 nights in a row.

I too think that'd be the only possible solution

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭jellyboy

humanji wrote: »
    It's worth pointing out that those are currently accusation and while personally I believe people probably did forge submissions, it doesn't mean all are forged. There are legitimate submissions.

Garth Brooks isn't from the country, yet people are bending over to accommodate him, so residency doesn't seem to be an issue in this.

All i can say to this is

Ride em Cowboy

has said he was basically paid to do so,

Where does he say that? A court case costs money, that is what the money was for as far as I can see.

But continue with the obvious slurring of residents characters, par for the course here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

muddypaws wrote: »
    I don't think he/she was talking to or about you, another poster has said that they have heard from a relative that works in DCC that 3 concerts are back on. Now whether the relative works in DCC, or knows someone that knows someone who works in DCC is yet to be determined.

Those 3 concerts were there since last week. DCC cant over turn their decision. The licences are there.

The go ahead must have been given by GB. Will we find out later in his press conference?

The guy that was bringing the injunction against the 'concerts' has said he was basically paid to do so, and that it didn't even have anything to do with the concerts or concerns people had about them. It was in opposition to the GAA.

Again, what of the legitimate complaints? Are they to just be thrown out?

Happyman42 wrote: »
    What is wrong with somebody accepting money to pursue a court case?

Because with that coming to light and the fact that he's done a massive u-turn it's starting to look very like he was a puppet for another group with vested interests.
    All very strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

Why would people in the GAA want to take down the GAA?

He's sound a fierce dodge altogether.

'Sympathetic to the cause'.... Jasus

• Advertisement

Where does he say that? A court case costs money, that is what the money was for as far as I can see.

Who gave him 15 grand on sunday to do this, and why

He doesn't personally seem like he wanted to go to court very much at all it had to be said

• Registered Users Posts: 11,210 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

But continue with the obvious slurring of residents characters, par for the course here.

If you accept 15 thousand euro from people who you are afraid of naming, for fear of being shot, you should perhaps choose your associates more carefully!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Those 3 concerts were there since last week. DCC cant over turn their decision. The licences are there.

The go ahead must have been given by GB. Will we find out later in his press conference?

Can you please point out where I have said DCC can over-turn their decision?
    nm wrote: »
    Who gave him 15 grand on sunday to do this, and why

He doesn't personally seem like he wanted to go to court very much at all it had to be said

Which Sunday? After the 3 licences were issued? If so, what bearing can it have on the decision to licence 3 and not 5? And, under current law, there is no appeal process to that decision, so even if this had gone to court, that decision couldn't have been changed. Yes, a court order could have been made preventing any of the concerts if the hearing had gone ahead, and that is what a judge decided, but, as that didn't happen, and this is all post planning decision, I can't see how even the existence of the planned injunction can be used to 'negotiate' anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

dandyo wrote: »
    Have Mexico stood down their offer of a Non-Union Mexican equivalent yet , Senor Garth Brookso ?

One could say...

...there's a Mexican standoff.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Captain Scarlet

I just hope, even if the concerts go ahead, that no-one endangers their immortal souls by practising Yoga, Tai Chi or Reiki in Croke Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭h2005

Is there legislation with regard taking frivolous injunctions? Mr Duff would want to make sure his taxes are in order after his stunt. There should be no more negotiations. There's 3 concerts fat boy can take them or leave them. It will set quite the precedent if the country is seen to back down to a wannabe cowboy.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    If you accept 15 thousand euro from people who you are afraid of naming, for fear of being shot, you should perhaps choose your associates more carefully!

Jesus H, read the article...he wasn't asked to name them yet you have taken away the impression that he is 'afraid' to name them. Subliminal reporting making a big score there! Yet our intrepid reporter could quote a source that said he was 'given a suit' to wear to court.

If you can't see how that article slant is playing to your preconceptions and bias, I really pity you. Seriously, right from the sensational headline it is slanted to give a certain impression of this resident.
    The Sindo at it's very best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Government jet on the tarmac in Baldonnell. Fuelled and ready to fly to Nashville.

Stetsons and cowboy boots being loaded into the cargo bay.

What eejits we are in this country. Utter farce now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

He was also given a suit. Come off it. The moron done enough to inslut himself without any poster on here adding to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

OK, have to say at this stage, I'm just laughing at how farcical this situation has become. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement