Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

dandyo wrote: »
    Is there a chance the track will bend?

I doubt we will hear if today's meeting brings anything to fruition.. until at least 5pm.

Meanwhile, live from just outside San Antonio, Texas, Garth will be giving a live press conference at 4pm, which you can watch here:

http://www.GarthBrooks.com

*I made the San Antonio bit up. No idea where he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

Oh sweet Jesus...Indo with the headline ' Whitehouse Won't be Getting Involved in Garth Brooks Fiasco'

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/music/music-news/white-house-we-wont-be-getting-involved-in-garth-brooks-fiasco-30421851.html

"But when contacted by Independent.ie this afternoon, White House spokeswoman Caitlin Hayden confirmed that the President will not be intervening"

Why are the indo calling the whitehouse on the back of waffle from a gombeen nobody who thinks some residents are going to give Obama a call?

Seriously, fvck the Indo, it's not bad enough that we look like fools nationally that they have to troll the Whitehouse so that we can look like fools internationally? I swear to fvck I will never buy that paper or darken the door of it's website ever again. They have long been the ever lowering bar under which journalistic standards have had to limbo, but this sh1t is the last straw.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭dandyo

Now Bambi, who started that forest fire that killed your mother? Evolution?! My my my…

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

I think I'd take a journalists word over this mans any day of the week.
    I wouldn't take a journo's word over a feckin priest !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Sorry dandyo, the mob has spoken.

The ring came off my pudding can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

The suggestion that Obama should "intervene" is up there with the suggestion of Ireland being added as an extra team to the 2010 World Cup in terms of lulz :D

SteM wrote: »
    Exactly and people use this 4th night possibility as a stick to beat DCC with, but they were just trying to be as accommodating as they possible could. Unlike a certain country artist....

If they wanted to be accommodating to the people of the country they would not be limiting the number. Brooks has been a pillar of integrity over this. He is making all the right decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Happyman42 wrote: »
    I despair...I really do.

You borrow a suit and you are an imbecile?

As I say...owned!

Who exactly has owned me here, I think you need to consult with your ten year old as to the exact meaning of the phrase.

The man is a complete moron. His own story seems about as plausible as Santa Clause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭jellyboy

I doubt we will hear if today's meeting brings anything to fruition.. until at least 5pm.

Meanwhile, live from just outside San Antonio, Texas, Garth will be giving a live press conference at 4pm, which you can watch here:

http://www.GarthBrooks.com

*I made the San Antonio bit up. No idea where he is.

theres dark clouds and a whole lot of thunder in that website..

i read it that GB is god and his angry at Ireland and we are going to be flooded at 4pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Imagine if this had happened back in Albert Reynolds' time. He'd have intervened, got 5 concerts doubled to 10, and a free Johnny Cash gig thrown in for good measure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭dandyo

keith16 wrote: »
    The ring came off my pudding can.

Take my pen knife my good man!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,952 ✭✭✭Daith

dandyo wrote: »
    Take my pen knife my good man!

I swear, it's Dublins only choice!
    Throw up your hands and raise your voice!

Garth Brooks

What's he called?
    Garth Brooks.....
    Once again!
    GARTH BROOOKS!!!!!

But planning laws and regulations

Sorry residents the mob has spoken!
    Garth Brooks.....
    Garth Brooks..........
    GARTH BROOOKS!!!!!
    GARTH BROOOKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GARETH - DOH

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Piliger wrote: »
    If they wanted to be accommodating to the people of the country they would not be limiting the number. Brooks has been a pillar of integrity over this. He is making all the right decisions.
    Screwing over all ticket holders because he didn't get his way is not a sign of integrity. He's no worse or better than all the other parties involved in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Imagine if this had happened back in Albert Reynolds' time. He'd have intervened, got 5 concerts doubled to 10, and a free Johnny Cash gig thrown in for good measure.

He loved his Country and Western:D

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Gergiev

Interesting debate going on at the moment on 'Liveline' about the GAA trying to control parents' sideline behaviour at under-age matches.

One of the points they're making is that the referee's decision is final and needs to be seen to be final to give good example to youngsters! :rolleyes:

Oh, the irony...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

Jeez, get up off yer knees there, I think Garth has received enough pleasure for one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Gergiev wrote: »
    Interesting debate going on at the moment on 'Liveline' about the GAA trying to control parents' sideline behaviour at under-age matches.

One of the points they're making is that the referee's decision is final and needs to be seen to be final to give good example to youngsters! :rolleyes:

Oh, the irony...

Yet another in the long line of ridiculous analogies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Tarzana wrote: »
    OK, have to say at this stage, I'm just laughing at how farcical this situation has become. :D

This story is fantastic, it just keeps on giving.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

D3sperado wrote: »
    Fair enough! Still a fairly shady way of going about things.

I agree with you, his original case and reason was because of vomit and urine on the streets and has now told the real reason was to bring the gaa to court. I hardly think it's above board either way

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭SteM

Accommodating within reason obviously. Brooks has let more people down that DCC did. They disappointed 160,000. He disappointed 240,000. A pillar of integrity maybe but just as much to blame as anyone else by refusing to play the 3 licensed shows.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

humanji wrote: »
    Screwing over all ticket holders because he didn't get his way is not a sign of integrity. He's no worse or better than all the other parties involved in this.

He's not screwing anybody over..

He's just doesn't feel that 160,000 ticket holders should be treated so poorly, as to have the concerts they were due to attend, cancelled just three weeks before they were to take place. Especially when they have held those tickets for over five months, all the while looking forward to seeing him perform, arranging time off, perhaps bookings flights, hotels etc etc. Just a shame the people in the ticket holder's own country didn't give them as much consideration as Garth clearly is.

Yet another in the long line of ridiculous analogies.
    It's not an analogy. It's pointing out hypocrisy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

He's just doesn't feel that 160,000 ticket holders should be treated so poorly, as to have the concerts they were due to attend, cancelled just three weeks before they were to take place. Especially when they have held those tickets for over five months, all the while looking forward to seeing him perform, arranging time off, perhaps bookings flights, hotels etc etc. Just a shame the people in the ticket holder's own country didn't give them as much consideration as Garth clearly is.

And we continue to go around and around............

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Gergiev

Breaking news that the Government has just appointed a new sub-committee to take the heat out of situation.

Members Mick McCarthy, Roy Keane, Thierry Henry, Warren Gatland and Jean-Claude Trichet will convene for their first meeting at 5pm today...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Gergiev wrote: »
    Breaking news that the Government has just appointed a new sub-committee to take the heat out of situation.

Members Mick McCarthy, Roy Keane, Thierry Henry, Warren Gatland and Jean-Claude Trichet will convene for their first meeting at 5pm today...

Has a ministerial position been created in the government reshuffle? Who so you want as Minister for Garth Brooks?

humanji wrote: »
    It's not an analogy. It's pointing out hypocrisy.

Except there is none, and the attempt falls flat.

No, he's just screwing over 3 concerts worth of fans in a gamble that he can blackmail the country into doing what he wants. I hope he sees sense, as does everyone else and they put on the 3 gigs and consider the 2 others at a later date. Otherwise we may as well dig up Charlie Haughey and put him in charge as we've learned nothing. But he's not the hero in the situation and he's not a victim.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,204 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

He's just doesn't feel that 160,000 ticket holders should be treated so poorly, as to have the concerts they were due to attend, cancelled just three weeks before they were to take place. Especially when they have held those tickets for over five months, all the while looking forwarding to seeing him perform, arranging time off, perhaps bookings flights, hotels etc etc. Just a shame the people in the ticket holder's own country didn't give them as much consideration as Garth clearly does.

perfectly logical response especially since he feels like the concerts are his children.

It's a horrible Sophies choice and the only logical decision is to kill all the children.

SteM wrote: »
    Accommodating within reason obviously. Brooks has let more people down that DCC did. They disappointed 160,000. He disappointed 240,000. A pillar of integrity maybe but just as much to blame as anyone else by refusing to play the 3 licensed shows.

Brooks has let no one down. He made a deal and it was broken. The DCC ignored a quarter of a million people. He is totally blameless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

The issue of the 160,000 was beyond his control. He chose not to perform for the other 240,000. Huge distinction, and he is screwing those people over in a game of brinksmanship to try to force the other 2 concerts through.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement