Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Piliger wrote: »
    Except there is none, and the attempt falls flat.
    An organisation telling people to accept rulings without question while refusing to accept a ruling? Yep, no hypocrisy there.

Brooks has let no one down. He made a deal and it was broken. The DCC ignored a quarter of a million people. He is totally blameless.
    Except for that whole "I'm taking my ball and going home, to hell with the rest of you who blew money on me" part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

humanji wrote: »
    No, he's just screwing over 3 concerts worth of fans in a gamble that he can blackmail the country into doing what he wants.

If only he was Kenny Rogers, there'd be a great chance of a joke here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

h2005 wrote: »
    Is there legislation with regard taking frivolous injunctions?

There's a term for it! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Champerty_and_maintenance

Champerty is the something new I learned today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

He's not screwing anybody over..

He's just doesn't feel that 160,000 ticket holders should be treated so poorly, as to have the concerts they were due to attend, cancelled just three weeks before they were to take place. Especially when they have held those tickets for over five months, all the while looking forward to seeing him perform, arranging time off, perhaps bookings flights, hotels etc etc. Just a shame the people in the ticket holder's own country didn't give them as much consideration as Garth clearly is.
    So why did he decide to do the exact same thing to 240,000 more ticket holders by cancelling the first 3.

Imagine this - 400,000 fans pre-order his new album on CD. Due to a strike in the factory only 240,000 are made.
    Do he then refuse to sell any CDs so as not to upset the 160,000?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,469 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Brooks has let no one down. He made a deal and it was broken. The DCC ignored a quarter of a million people. He is totally blameless.

Irony? GAA and Aitken.

• Advertisement

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    So why did he decide to do the exact same thing to 240,000 more ticket holders by cancelling the first 3.

Imagine this - 400,000 fans pre-order his new album on CD. Due to a strike in the factory only 240,000 are made.

They could buy it on iTunes instead. Oh, no wait.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/mystery-grows-as-man-who-tried-to-stop-garth-brooks-gigs-claims-i-was-given-12000-to-fund-court-case-30420766.html

Money coming from the North to damage the GAA? 2+2 = the work of Ulster Unionist Loyalists who have an absolute hatred of Ireland, all things Irish and most of all the GAA who were the bedrock of upsurge in Nationalism here.

So if your disappointed as a Garth Brooks fan the responsibility for this fiasco belongs north of the Border. Hopefully common sense will prevail today and all 5 concerts will go ahead as planned.

Stinicker wrote: »
    http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/mystery-grows-as-man-who-tried-to-stop-garth-brooks-gigs-claims-i-was-given-12000-to-fund-court-case-30420766.html

Money coming from the North to damage the GAA? 2+2 = the work of Ulster Unionist Loyalists who have an absolute hatred of Ireland, all things Irish and most of all the GAA who were the bedrock of upsurge in Nationalism here.

So if your disappointed as a Garth Brooks fan the responsibility for this fiasco belongs north of the Border. Hopefully common sense will prevail today and all 5 concerts will go ahead as planned.

That was pretty good post and quite funny until I got to the last sentence and realised you might be serious.

Please tell me you weren't. Sometimes I can't spot when someone's joking.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

I have a friend who's pretty high up in the PSNI who told me that Johnny Adair has reformed UVF C-Company to engage in black-ops missions to undermine the Irish state and that this was one of their opening salvos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

Peppa Pig wrote: »

The issue of the 160,000 was beyond his control. He chose not to perform for the other 240,000. Huge distinction, and he is screwing those people over in a game of brinksmanship to try to force the other 2 concerts through.
    humanji wrote: »
    No, he's just screwing over 3 concerts worth of fans in a gamble that he can blackmail the country into doing what he wants. I hope he sees sense, as does everyone else and they put on the 3 gigs and consider the 2 others at a later date. Otherwise we may as well dig up Charlie Haughey and put him in charge as we've learned nothing. But he's not the hero in the situation and he's not a victim.

Well, what other option did he have? If he just accepted the offer of three, he would look like he didn't give a crap about the 160,000. He was put in a no-win situation. I think it's too early to say he's not the hero. He may very well be. If they can arrange dates for those two extra concerts that is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

I'm sure a judge could be 'encouraged' to throw out any challenge fairly sharpish!
    When I think of this recession, I often wonder if or when people will forget about it and allow it all to happen anew. Then I read posts like this and I realise that some people don't really have any forgetting to do; they think that bribery, corruption and coercion are all fair game if there's some transient gain to be made for themselves, and **** everyone else.

You speak of the fantastic fiscal gain to be made from these gigs then in the same breath advocate bribing or coercing a public official to get your own way. It's people who think like you who brought the country to its knees, and it's people who think like you who'll do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭dandyo

For the love of God please, can someone say Mass...
    God, I love mass

Well, what other option did he have? If he just accepted the offer of three, he would look like he didn't give a crap about the 160,000. He was put in a no-win situation. I think it's too early to say he's not the hero. He may very well be. If they can arrange dates for those two extra concerts that is.

Someone saving a life is a hero. Performing concerts, whether it be 3 or 5 is not.

Still no answer to the query I had about the correspondence between 30 Jan and 3 Feb? Sorry if I missed your post with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

He cancelled 5 gigs!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

El Weirdo wrote: »

"and if I press this button General will the Croke Park problem go away"

"Yes Mr. President, but I have to caution you Moneygall may suffer some collateral damage"

"Well General, That's a risk I'm prepared to take"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I hope this all gets sorted out either sooner rather than later, if only to put an end to the needless mindless arguing , attempts at one upping one another, circular arguements and pontificating on this thread.

Why oh why is not possible to have a thread on After Hours that does not descend into mindless sniping and bickering, begrudgery and petty politician bashing?

Can we not just discuss this as the adults we are?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

He could have done 3 gigs and planned 2 other at a later date. But he didn't. He chose blackmail. That's not what heroes do.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I hope this all gets sorted out either sooner rather than later, if only to put an end to the needless mindless arguing , attempts at one upping one another, circular arguements and pontificating on this thread.

Why oh why is not possible to have a thread on After Hours that does not descend into mindless sniping and bickering, begrudgery and petty politician bashing?

Can we not just discuss this as the adults we are?

You'll get banned from After Hours if you keep being sensible like that !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

He cancelled 5 gigs!!

His statement yesterday says otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Stinicker wrote: »

Why were they all at a hurling match though?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

This priest that fixed Dana's brother -- I'm sensing a Golden Cleric award

• Registered Users Posts: 20,172 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

This post has been deleted.

Proper order. He should share an office with the Minister for Hoors and Roundabouts, though. Efficiency annt, innit!?! :pac::pac::pac:

gandalf wrote: »
    You'll get banned from After Hours if you keep being sensible like that !!!!

I'm not trying to cause trouble, nothing at all like that!

Just venting a little is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Jester252 wrote: »
    His statement yesterday says otherwise.

??? His statement yesterday said nothing new...5 gigs or nothing.

I'm not trying to cause trouble, nothing at all like that!

Just venting a little is all.

A bigger boy made me do it, Sir

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

Someone saving a life is a hero. Performing concerts, whether it be 3 or 5 is not.

Oh ffs. Quit nitpicking.

I was addressing a point put to me which used the word and in any case, to label someone a possible hero of a particular situation, doesn't in any way infer that they should be seen as a hero outside of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

I'd say the cancellation of the first three is more down to economics. Apparently a massive show had been planned and wouldn't hit the break even point until the third night.

There's another 20000 who couldn't get tickets so maybe we should consider eight concerts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

??? His statement yesterday said nothing new...5 gigs or nothing.

But it inferred that it wasn't him that cancelled

• Advertisement

dandyo wrote: »
    A bigger boy made me do it, Sir

:confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement