Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Chris Gaines would have done the 3 concerts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

Well, what other option did he have? If he just accepted the offer of three, he would look like he didn't give a crap about the 160,000. He was put in a no-win situation. I think it's too early to say he's not the hero. He may very well be. If they can arrange dates for those two extra concerts that is.
    So would he store 240,000 CDs rather than sell them? What do you think?

Maybe he would bring in strike breakers ........

EOTR would spontaneously combust

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

I hope this all gets sorted out either sooner rather than later, if only to put an end to the needless mindless arguing , attempts at one upping one another, circular arguements and pontificating on this thread.

Why oh why is not possible to have a thread on After Hours that does not descend into mindless sniping and bickering, begrudgery and petty politician bashing?

Can we not just discuss this as the adults we are?

Is there anything that could be said for saying another mass?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Oh ffs. Quit nitpicking.

I was addressing a point put to me which used the word and in any case, to label someone a possible hero of a particular situation, doesn't in any way infer that they should be seen as a hero outside of it.

And the other part of my post?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

There was a lad on Newstalk this morning saying there should be a minister for concerts. :rolleyes:

For the love of Buddha!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭dandyo

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    Is there anything that could be said for saying another mass?

God, I love mass

I thought Garth Brooks was dead, I'm almost sure I read somewhere he sleeps with the fishes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

dandyo wrote: »
    I thought Garth Brooks was dead, I'm almost sure I read somewhere he sleeps with the fishes
    That was his Italian uncle, Luca

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

This post has been deleted.

That was Stuart Clarke from Hotpress, I think it's a legacy of mind altering substances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    That was his Italian uncle, Luca

No, it was his other uncle, Babbling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭dodzy

I think now is a very opportune time to hit the UNSUBSCRIBE button. Thread gone to the dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

Am I hearing that they're trying to change the law all over this nonsense?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

GB will announce all five concerts to go ahead at 5pm (Irish Time) press conference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

This post has been deleted.

I would hope that this Minister would be attending loads of concerts and festivals, getting off his head every weekend and not afraid of dropping a few yokes. Last thing we need is some theoretician or a person with no idea of their brief.

Bring on the headbangers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

GB will announce all five concerts to go ahead at 5pm (Irish Time) press conference.

I dont know. I was on DCC website and there's no update to the the licences. Still remains at three. Time is running out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

humanji wrote: »
    He could have done 3 gigs and planned 2 other at a later date. But he didn't. He chose blackmail. That's not what heroes do.

We don't know that he didn't try to arrange other dates.

In fact, Aiken said he even offered to do matinee concerts at one point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

??? His statement yesterday said nothing new...5 gigs or nothing.

In his letter to Ireland, Garth wrote that he ‘heard yesterday that the shows were cancelled’.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uf1g6N4sKY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

More like GB will tell us how much he hates us in his press conference.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

c_man wrote: »
    I would hope that this Minister would be attending loads of concerts and festivals, getting off his head every weekend and not afraid of dropping a few yokes. Last thing we need is some theoretician or a person with no idea of their brief.

Bring on the headbangers.

Perfect role for Ming Flannagan i think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

More like GB will tell us how much he hates us in his press conference.

And he would do that why?

When or where has he ever said he hated Ireland? Has he not been saying the exact opposite of that the last few days?

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭stmol32

I truly don't understand why the issue is so intractable.
    Concerts are cancelled all the time, refunds are made and people are very slightly disappointed and it rarely, if ever, makes it to the national parliament.

If, through an act of God, he couldn't sing those nights no-one would be up in arms.
    Let's say, for example, the ghost of Johnny Cash came down from country heaven on a jet black ghost Harley and kicked him in the throat with the point of his black cowboy boots for his many, many crimes against music and he couldn't sing.

Would people be up in arms or would they just say "that's a shame, I better get me refund" and then go on with their empty, soul-less, music-less Garth Brookes listening to lives.

So this process that Aiken followed correctly, when did he ask DCC if a 4th concert was ok with them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

stmol32 wrote: »
    Concerts are cancelled all the time, refunds are made and people are very slightly disappointed and it rarely, if ever, makes it to the national parliament.

If, through an act of God, he couldn't sing those nights no-one would be up in arms.
    Let's say, for example, the ghost of Johnny Cash came down from country heaven on a jet black ghost Harley and kicked him in the throat with the point of his black cowboy boots for his many, many crimes against music and he couldn't sing.

Would people be up in arms or would they just say "that's a shame, I better get me refund" and then go on with their empty, soul-less, music-less Garth Brookes listening to lives.

I'd want to know why Johnny couldn't sing "I Walk the Line" for us one last time :p

• Registered Users Posts: 16,204 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

If he's offered to do 2 at a later date then he would have had to apply for permission to DCC. No application has been made.

Just saw a tweet quoting the handball lads saying they're dropping their objections. Could be a breakthrough if true. Still have to get over the legal hurdle of course

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

And he would do that why?

When or where has he ever said he hated Ireland? Has he not been saying the exact opposite of that the last few days?
    1. It was a joke.

2. If you think that official press releases from a music artist are necessarily in any way representative of their actual views then I just dunno like. This is a man who said choosing between the gigs would be like choosing between his children, lest we forget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

So this process that Aiken followed correctly, when did he ask DCC if a 4th concert was ok with them?

Eh, this was a few days ago, in an effort to sort out the mess... are you deliberately being trite?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

stmol32 wrote: »

I think its the size and scale of this one, if it was 10,000 people in the Point it wouldn't have the same impact, I think its because its 400,000 people that makes it a bigger economy of scale.

• Advertisement

Enda : Get me the President of the United States of America
    White House : Please stop ringing here
    Enda : Get me the Mexican Ambassador
    Senor Mexio : Ai Ai Ai ... No es bueno!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement