Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Flem31

Does anyone know if we will be able to see this charade online at 5pm......they could even sell tickets for it.....oh wait, probably another licence needed for that.....damn, this country is full of rules and red tape, can't be having that !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

<never mind> let's just wait

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Eh, this was a few days ago, in an effort to sort out the mess... are you deliberately being trite?

It's kind of important to your claim over the past few dats that Aiken have followed the correct process and it was DCC who messed up.

I find it hard to believe if Aiken put on the 4th concert the Monday/Tuesday after gig 3 sold out on the Friday that they requested permission unofficially and got a positive response so quickly. Doesn't stand up at all which shoots your argument to pieces. Unless of course you have some other information.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

1. It was a joke.

2. If you think that official press releases from a music artist are necessarily in any way representative of their actual views then I just dunno like. This is a man who said choosing between the gigs would be like choosing between his children, lest we forget.

If you think trying to make out like I'm thick and don't know what I'm talking about makes the point any more valid then it is you who are mistaken.

Why does every discussion on afterhours degenerate into this kind of petty one upping.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,535 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

edanto wrote: »
    Back on apparently! Details emerging...

Excellent news if true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

edanto wrote: »
    <never mind> let's just wait

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The government jet has just taken off from Baldonnel I kid you not

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Gergiev

As new cabinet talks drag interminably on, the real reason for the delay emerges.

New Tanaiste Joan Burton makes her position clear - 'How can I possibly select only 5 colleagues at the cabinet table after receiving 2,720 votes?'

'It would be like choosing one child over another'...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Flem31 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if we will be able to see this charade online at 5pm......they could even sell tickets for it.....oh wait, probably another licence needed for that.....damn, this country is full of rules and red tape, can't be having that !!
    It is being streamed live on his website

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Flem31 wrote: »

Here it is http://www.garthbrooks.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

If you think trying to make out like I'm thick and don't know what I'm talking about makes the point any more valid then it is you who are mistaken.

Why does every discussion on afterhours degenerate into this kind of petty one upping.

Just this times 5 billion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Excellent news if true.

Far from it. A city manager makes a decision, the gubberment gets on his back about it, said decision is reversed. The only difference between now and events in the 80s/90s is that the money is not exchanged in brown envelopes.

It's just another rumour though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Maybe one positive to be taken from this is that it might cause people to question the utterly f*ckong ridiculousness of our bloated, inefficient and incompetent planning system. It's an absolute farce, and an incident like this was pretty much inevitable under that dysfunctional system.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Far from it. A city manager makes a decision, the gubberment gets on his back about it, said decision is reversed. The only difference between now and events in the 80s/90s is that the money is not exchanged in brown envelopes.

It's just another rumour though.

There are solutions out there that would allow 5 concerts to go ahead, for the City Manager to save face and for everything to be within hte law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭That_Girl_ Is_ A_Cowboy

stmol32 wrote: »
    I truly don't understand why the issue is so intractable.
    Concerts are cancelled all the time, refunds are made and people are very slightly disappointed and it rarely, if ever, makes it to the national parliament.

If, through an act of God, he couldn't sing those nights no-one would be up in arms.
    Let's say, for example, the ghost of Johnny Cash came down from country heaven on a jet black ghost Harley and kicked him in the throat with the point of his black cowboy boots for his many, many crimes against music and he couldn't sing.

Would people be up in arms or would they just say "that's a shame, I better get me refund" and then go on with their empty, soul-less, music-less Garth Brookes listening to lives.

This was meant to be a comeback special event. After an early retirement and over 16 years of not touring.

The americans had a boat in the volvo ocean race that came to galway 2012. As part of those celebrations an american group put on a huge firework display over galway. All for free. Something that would cost thousands.

You can bet your ass Mr.Brook would have pumped millions into preparing for these shows and it would have been huge. For it all to go to sh1t due to a pack of dublin tramps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

There are solutions out there that would allow 5 concerts to go ahead, for the City Manager to save face and for everything to be within hte law.

Have you not heard of Owen Keegan? Most stubborn man ever?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

There is a comment in that article which I think is quite interesting:

How can it be possible to change legislation over night when it takes YEARS TO CHAGE CRIMINAL LAW AND SUCH

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

jonny24ie wrote: »

It's a disgrace, but no surprise from FF given their history in his area, that they put forward such a bill.

But more than likely it's not retrospective, nor will it be signed off in time anyway so it's irrelevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

I find it hard to believe if Aiken put on the 4th concert the Monday/Tuesday after gig 3 sold out on the Friday that they requested permission unofficially and got a positive response so quickly. Doesn't stand up at all which shoots your argument to pieces. Unless of course you have some other information.

Have you not heard of Owen Keegan? Most stubborn man ever?

He has a job to do, same as everyone else.

Do you know him?

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭stmol32

pc7 wrote: »
    I think its the size and scale of this one, if it was 10,000 people in the Point it wouldn't have the same impact, I think its because its 400,000 people that makes it a bigger economy of scale.

Actually that's not a bad point, cheers for that.

It makes pretty good sense from an economic point of view but I still think some of the language being used by people, including Brookes himself, is a bit hysterical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

This post has been deleted.

Is it old news Fred? It says todays date and time on it(genuinely asking).
    If it is the case, I am mortally ashamed of these gombeens.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,210 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Jesus H, read the article...he wasn't asked to name them yet you have taken away the impression that he is 'afraid' to name them. Subliminal reporting making a big score there! Yet our intrepid reporter could quote a source that said he was 'given a suit' to wear to court.

If you can't see how that article slant is playing to your preconceptions and bias, I really pity you. Seriously, right from the sensational headline it is slanted to give a certain impression of this resident.
    The Sindo at it's very best.

I was referring to where Mr Duff is quoted as saying , when asked about his backers, "you don't be a squealer in the North inner city..... do you want to get me shot" as quoted in todays paper.

As I thought, you've nothing. Thanks for playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,204 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

jonny24ie wrote: »

Emergency legislation for a concert...

This country has hit a new low.

He has a job to do, same as everyone else.

Do you know him?

No not all all. But I know his work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭dandyo

The last Eoin McLove didn't even attract this level of attention and enthusiasm , and we all know of his love of cakes and jumpers

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement