Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

My missus thinks (hopes) that there is a last minute deal to allow all five concerts to go ahead!
    I think that will need a lot of people to get off their very high horses and eat humble pie first.

My missus is an optimist.

What are the chances????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    Even if we were to completely lowball the average spend of a concert goer to €50 euro each (I'd say it's closer to €150), that'd be 20 million spent that would otherwise remain unspent.

How is the figure so hard to believe for you, besides that you know a few people who travel cheap?

I'm not saying it isn't true or money isn't lost. Just how do you quantify it, despite arbitrarily pulling figures out of one's arse to propagandize about the cancelled concerts. Most of the time the people still have the money?

How much of the 'local' money simply disappears because it's not going to be spent at a concert?

I have no idea. Do you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Source?

Aiken himself said that 20% of the sales were overseas, citing that that was the highest percentage in any Irish concert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

My next door neighbours seemed to have turned into 14 year olds again and have been blasting "Friends in Low Places" for the past 30 minutes :(:p

Does he have a licence for more than 3 performances of that song?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭BigBrownBear

I'm actually fairly intrigued by the 'split' among residents on this
    It appears to me that the Ballybough end is generally in favour of the concerts and the Drumcondra end is generally against

Ballybough is regarded as more 'salt of the earth dubs' and Drumcondra is perceived as more' blow ins' to the area, whether thats stereotyping or not its still a perception among some.

It was the Ballybough residents who organised a petition in favour of all 5 concerts and claim they got more signatures than the objections to DCC, or so they claim

Anyway its a fiasco regardless of who's ultimately to blame

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭kyote00

I hear Billy Ray Cyrus is free and will do three gigs.

from 20ft, you wouldn't notice any difference

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

My next door neighbours seemed to have turned into 14 year olds again and have been blasting "Friends in Low Places" for the past 30 minutes :(:p

That's just petulant

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Red Nissan wrote: »
    I wouldn't say that, some of us see much bigger pictures and spin offs, my own back of the hand says it's worth a loss of €25Bn in three years.

Yep, you gotta think big picture here. Most big artists aren't going want to come to Ireland ever again. Then you have to think of how this negativity is going to look for the multinationals, don't be surprised if we have Intel, Microsoft and Google all pulling out of Ireland. We're an international embarrassment and everyone hates us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Irish Aris wrote: »
    it was 70k sales outside of Ireland, not overseas.
    This includes UK and NI.
    I would like to know how many of the 70k were sold in Belfast. . .

Only 15% apparently

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

nm wrote: »
    Dublin City Bid (collective of 2,500 businesses in the city centre) statement http://www.dublincitybid.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Garth-Brooks-press-release.pdf

Bet they'll not be rushing to refund hotel bookings etc though... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Lucifer MorningStar

That's what happens when you don't have friends in high places :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Personally, I dont really care if the concerts happen or not, but Aitken promotions should never be allowed run a concert here again after their decision. They are just trying to blackmail DCC and the residents around Croke Park

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Anyone wrote: »
    Personally, I dont really care if the concerts happen or not, but Aitken promotions should never be allowed run a concert here again after their decision. They are just trying to blackmail DCC and the residents around Croke Park

Aiken did the same as any other gig promoter in the country, rented a venue and sold the tickets subject to licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Aiken did the same as any other gig promoter in the country, rented a venue and sold the tickets subject to licence.

I mean their decision to cancel the remaining concerts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Rent Speakers IPod Full of GB

I'll meet ye outside the hogan stand over the 5 nights!!

Who's in??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

The tattoo'd ballyboughal 6 are " viry disapinted wit evrythin and never seen dis cumin"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

I think artists will think twice about playing in stadiums etc in Ireland if this is the crap they have to put up with..

I wonder is the residents of the Lansdowne Road area will do the same when 3 concerts are announced for next year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Yep, you gotta think big picture here. Most big artists aren't going want to come to Ireland ever again. Then you have to think of how this negativity is going to look for the multinationals, don't be surprised if we have Intel, Microsoft and Google all pulling out of Ireland. We're an international embarrassment and everyone hates us.

Not to mentioned those 2 grand Prix Bernie Ecclestone was going to stage in Ireland. Say goodbye to them. And the US open.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I just hope that all the disappointed country music fans can use this opportunity to get behind some of our own. Get out there and give the likes of Big Tom and the Mainliners, Red Hurley and Crystal Swing your support instead of some yank that doesn't want to play for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

Who said anything about overweight?
    If I was just referring to your post, then I would have hardly said: 'almost every single person.. now would I. The last thread was chock full of such comments and as I said at the start of the post, almost everyone complaining about the reaction so far has for some reason felt the need to either mention the fact that he's a country and music star and / or that he is fat. Neither seem remotely relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Aiken should be hailed hero and we should shower him in garlands on his return from the USA and I'd like to nominate him for the freedom of Dublin City in the next round of civic awards.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16 Billy Suffolk

Red Nissan wrote: »
    Aiken himself said that 20% of the sales were overseas, citing that that was the highest percentage in any Irish concert.

Aiken should really consider his position, in my opinion.

Seems too anxious to deflect public opinion to anyone else involved, it would appear from media coverage.

As I see it , this was, and apologies for the cliche' an accident waiting to happen'
    As I see it he has lost all credibility as an event promoter.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

dubscottie wrote: »
    I think artists will think twice about playing in stadiums etc in Ireland if this is the crap they have to put up with..

Most likely scenario is that no artists decide to try hold 5 gigs in a row in Croke Park. Otherwise, the world will go on as normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭LordNorbury

Hey look lads, we've made the front page of Sky News haha! :eek::eek::eek:

http://news.sky.com/story/1297492/garth-brooks-cancels-all-irish-shows-after-row

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

From an economict point, it's a disaster.

Not necessarily. Punters should go to Rugby 7's in Thomond Park. That'd be good for the economy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

Has any1 used the friends in low places joke yet??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

If I was just referring to your post, then I would have hardly said: 'almost every single person' now would I. The last thread was chock full of it and as I said at the start of the post, almost everyone complaining about the reaction so far, has felt the need to either mention the fact that he's a country and music star and / or that he is fat. Neither are relevant.

Country music star may not be relevant but neither is it incorrect, I still would have said "rock band" if it was U2, "pop star" if it was Madonna etc.. You're just being nitpicky if you ask me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

dubscottie wrote: »

I wonder is the residents of the Lansdowne Road area will do the same when 3 concerts 5 back-to-back concerts are announced for next year!
    Probably won't happen m80

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement