Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

Piliger wrote: »
    Unless I've fallen into a time travel matrix, these concerts haven't actually happened yet ....... So how exactly is this retroactive ?

The decision made by DCC can't be retroactively changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭dodzy

F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Piliger wrote: »
    Unless I've fallen into a time travel matrix, these concerts haven't actually happened yet ....... So how exactly is this retroactive ?

Because the planning decision has already been made.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

drkpower wrote: »
    That esclated quickly.
    Oops :o

15.5.1 then.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

ThisRegard wrote: »
    No, Fianna Fail did it all the time in the 90s. Cost is a small fortune in social issues and tribunal costs.
    "New" Lucan is the size of Limerick & has almost no shops, a single pub and you require a car to do anything. Most people are in negative equity and have to commute for up to an hour each way. That's what happens when you start allowing politicians to tinker with laws, and then you wonder when you go abroad why you can't live in a country as nice and well run as the rest of Western Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

15.5.1 then.
    ;)

15.5.1 really applies to criminalising/penalising things retrospectively. I dont think that applies ot the type of retroactive change that might occur in this case.
    5.1° The Oireachtas shall not declare acts to be infringements of the law which were not so at the date of their commission.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

Grayson wrote: »
    It's not the first time he's done something crazy. He tried to be a major league baseball star at one point.

Oh yeah! I remember hearing about how he 'quit music' after the massive flop of his alt-rock album after he reinvented himself as his alter ego 'Chris Gaines' and changed his look to that of an emo rocker (seriously)

http://content.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1909772_1909770_1909763,00.html

It would be fricking hilarious if he got his 5 concerts and turned up as 'Gaines' to promote his new alt-rock album, the ensuing riot would level everything between the cannals! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭jellyboy

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Ravenid

15.5.1 then.

15.5.1 - No Space-Corps Officer can attempt cunnilungus in Zero Gravity?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,204 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

• Advertisement

conorhal wrote: »
    after he reinvented himself as his alter ego 'Chris Gaines' and changed his look to that of an emo rocker (seriously)

I could never figure this out, was that actually him? I've thought that he just had someone else do the photos, ala Milli Vanilli.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Gergiev

In years to come, this will be parlayed like the Saipan business...

'When Keane walked out and came home'
    'He didn't walk out, he was sent home'
    'OK, when Keane was sent home after he initially walked out...'

'When Garth Brooks refused to do his Dublin concerts'
    'He didn't refuse, they were cancelled'
    'OK, when Garth Brooks refused to do 3 of his concerts after the other 2 were cancelled...'

Etc, etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,535 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

according to the news the residents are on board now as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

jellyboy wrote: »

I love the Trivago banner ad below advertising' Hotels in Dublin from 19 Euro'

I get the distinct feeling that if I hit 'F5' it will suddenly read 'Hotels in Dublin from 199 Euro'

Which ones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

Meanwhile, tickets went on sale this morning for Mrs Brown, 5 nights @ The O2, Christmas 2015.. and yet not one fcuking objection received.

I ask ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,204 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

is this the provisional or real residents association?

drkpower wrote: »
    ;)

15.5.1 really applies to criminalising/penalising things retrospectively. I dont think that applies ot the type of retroactive change that might occur in this case.

Yeah, that's true, the retroactive thing is so that things which were legal can't be retroactively be deemed illegal. I'm not sure if it really holds the other way round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

I reckon they're gonna be back on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭SteM

Meanwhile, tickets went on sale this morning for Mrs Brown, 5 nights @ The O2, Christmas 2015.. and yet not one fcuking objection received.

I ask ya.

You really don't get it. You're really comparing one with the other?

• Advertisement

I ask ya.

Unfortunately you can't object on grounds of good taste (for the most parts).

Otherwise this issue would have been put to bed will before the summer ☺

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

SteM wrote: »

I think it was a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭jellyboy

Mr.S wrote: »
    Completely different, far less crowd numbers, you can't hear it, less amount of residents.

Generally the disruption from a 02 is fairly low.

I'm guessing that the ops post was sarcasm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

SteM wrote: »

True, GB is no where near the level of Mrs Brown (or BOC as a person. Would he do this to his fans?)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,535 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Which ones?

Didn't say, just said in the interests of the economic impact cancelling the concerts would have to the city the residents now want them to go ahead.

Reati wrote: »
    True, GB is no where near the level of Mrs Brown (or BOC as a person. Would he do this to his fans?)

Wear a dress in public, oh wait....

I ask ya.

Please tell me you're joking here.

Enclosed venue, in a not primarily residential area, that holds a tenth of the people that Croke Park does and has much better transport links.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

stmol32 wrote: »
    I truly don't understand why the issue is so intractable.
    Concerts are cancelled all the time, refunds are made and people are very slightly disappointed and it rarely, if ever, makes it to the national parliament.

If, through an act of God, he couldn't sing those nights no-one would be up in arms.
    Let's say, for example, the ghost of Johnny Cash came down from country heaven on a jet black ghost Harley and kicked him in the throat with the point of his black cowboy boots for his many, many crimes against music and he couldn't sing.

Would people be up in arms or would they just say "that's a shame, I better get me refund" and then go on with their empty, soul-less, music-less Garth Brookes listening to lives.

Is it not obvious that there's a world of difference between cancellation because of an act of God as you describe, and cancellation because of Ireland's unimaginably incompetent establishment?

To illustrate, I'm sure there'd be less public anger if a freak tornado demolished O'Connell St than if the council demolished it to build metal apartment blocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Article 15.5.2
    Article 15.5.2°

2° The Oireachtas shall not enact any law providing for the imposition of the death penalty.
    ?
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/en/constitution/index.html#part4

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Gergiev

That meeting at 5pm now cancelled.

Knowing the way things work in the subterranean world of decision making in this society, I'd say the ground seems to be shifting.

Have the real decision makers (Paddy Power bookmakers) pronounced as yet?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement