Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

nm wrote: »
    I reckon they're gonna be back on

Yep, and it will be a new nadar for the country. But hey, at least people get to go see a talentless has-been, amiright?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭fta93

Gergiev wrote: »
    That meeting at 5pm now cancelled.

Knowing the way things work in the subterranean world of decision making in this society, I'd say the ground seems to be shifting.

Have the real decision makers (Paddy Power bookmakers) pronounced as yet?

think I seen them on Twitter say they'd reduced odds of them going ahead to 1/2 or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Didn't say, just said in the interests of the economic impact cancelling the concerts would have to the city the residents now want them to go ahead.

I was being pedantic because of the amount of them. it was the handball guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

Mr.S wrote: »
    Emergency legislation to allow the gigs carry on in 3...2....1....

Nope. FG and Labour won't allow that to happen. Only FF would erode democracy like that for the sake of buying off the electorate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

I hope it's still cancelled because I'm a big child who likes seeing other people's misfortune. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭For Reals

Honestly, it's genuinely upsetting to see this get such coverage and now Enda Kenny getting involved and calls to contact Obama. It's like a black comedy, (no pun intended).
    I'm abroad at the moment and it's just embarrassing trying to explain to people what's going on, because you see, in their eyes, a music concert was cancelled. What's the big deal?
    If Kenny talks to Garth Brooks about this he should apologise to the country for making an even bigger joke of the Irish and step down. It's the attention and uproar being given that's making Ireland a joke. Ireland truly looks like a one horse town right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

For Reals wrote: »
    Honestly, it's genuinely upsetting to see this get such coverage and now Enda Kenny getting involved and calls to contact Obama. It's like a black comedy, (no pun intended).

What pun?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Gergiev wrote: »
    Have the real decision makers (Paddy Power bookmakers) pronounced as yet?
    Betting suspended

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ankaragucu

I'm abroad at the moment and it's just embarrassing trying to explain to people what's going on, because you see, in their eyes, a music concert was cancelled. What's the big deal?
    If Kenny talks to Garth Brooks about this he should apologise to the country for making an even bigger joke of the Irish and step down. It's the attention and uproar being given that's making Ireland a joke. Ireland truly looks like a one horse town right now.

And?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

OldGoat wrote: »
    Been pointed out, it's 15.5.1. Although I'm not entirely sure that this applies here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

This could hardly be more appropriate - Dermot Morgan was obviously psychic:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

4fm just posted on FB that news is reaching them that all 5 are now back on.

Edit: link to post: https://www.facebook.com/ClassicHits4FM/photos/a.199338403435622.42113.125659037470226/713996018636522/?type=1&theater

meoklmrk91 wrote: »

No!!!!!! :(:(:(:(

Ah for gawd's sake. :D

Totally ridic. Good night and good luck.

If Kenny talks to Garth Brooks about this he should apologise to the country for making an even bigger joke of the Irish and step down.

Why would he apologise, there are hundreds of thousands if not millions of people who agree with him (basing that on the fact loads of people not going really think the concerts should go ahead).

If these gigs go ahead its bloody brilliant, people power at its finest and has restored my faith in politicians being able to get things done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Jesus christ. Honestly what is the point of laws in this country.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Yes!!!!!!!! :):):) lol it's been fun boardsies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Why would he apologise, there are hundreds of thousands if not millions of people who agree with him (basing that on the fact loads of people not going really think the concerts should go ahead).

Because the elected head of a nation should not apologize to a singer for not letting him have his way. Surely you can see how bad that looks on an international stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Jesus christ. Honestly what is the point of laws in this country.
    It all depends on the the circumstances surrounding the gigs being put on (assuming they are). If the bigger problem of licensing and promotion gets sorted, then everyone wins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

Tarzana wrote: »
    Please tell me you're joking here.

Enclosed venue, in a not primarily residential area, that holds a tenth of the people that Croke Park does and has much better transport links.

100% serious.

Thousands traipsing in and out of the O2 for five consecutive nights to see that fecking eejit, when the cement is barely dry on the Dublin Port Tunnel??

It's only asking for trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Delighted.

Calling all 5 off was going way to far imo.

Better let them happen and make sure the agreement is stuck to properly going forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭jellyboy

100% serious.

Thousands traipsing in and out of the O2 for five consecutive nights to see that fecking eejit, when the cement is barely dry on the Dublin Port Tunnel??

your leaking there Wishiwasa…

humanji wrote: »
    It all depends on the the circumstances surrounding the gigs being put on (assuming they are). If the bigger problem of licensing and promotion gets sorted, then everyone wins.

If five are held, even with a gap, that's a new precedent set. There better be strict conditions attached...

100% serious.

Still about 25000 less people overall than one Garth Brooks gig.. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭fta93

RTE are saying speculation that 2 will go ahead later in the year. Still breaking the agreement though, which is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Tarzana wrote: »
    If five are held, even with a gap, that's a new precedent set. There better be strict conditions attached...

whats the point of strict conditions, they'll just break them if they want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

How come O'Brien and his cohorts on both 'residents' associations are singing such a different tune today? Bunch of fcukin' chancers... and still claiming to represent everyone in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Absolute joke. Not a single politician who has had any part in the complete disregard for our laws will be getting a vote from me. Some things never change. Once money is to be made, planning law and regulation counts for nothing in Ireland. Hope Kenny is happy with himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Joke. Ireland Inc. For sale to the highest bid.

And if you are GB, or anyone really with a lot of money:

Step 1: Throw toys out of the pram when you don't get your way
    Step 2: Say "ah c'maaaan" and other emotional bargaining tools. Mention the economy and jobs and all that.
    Step 4: ?????
    Step 5: Profit

• Advertisement

Thejournal just looked at all the nonsense on here and made an article out of the best bits... That's what they always do :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement