Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

He said that everyone must be treated equally at a Garth Brooks show.
    Saw that - he said everyone pays the same - unless you bought a premium ticket for €80

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Garth Brooks really does care though Guys like why all the hate for him

Btw

Did you know that if you say the word gullible slowly, it sounds just like Orange

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

What is it about that that people are not getting.. and he also said is willing to whatever it takes in order to make that happen.
    Except to obey the law of the country of Ireland.

"Sort it out, then put laws in place"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

For Reals wrote: »
    Could you see Obama calling Cry before dawn to iron things out if their gigs on Clevland got cancelled? Now, he's more respect for the office and public.

Pick a realistic example ffs... Say, the Corrs have booked out Shay Stadium on their "We've Finished Raising Our Babies" Tour in 2015... and then the locals object to permission for the gigs on the grounds that they dont like that particular brand of Paddywhackery Pop music... Jim Corr schedules a press conference to ask President Obama why the concerts wont be allowed (and why he orchestrated 9/11).. .:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

So..............are the Greedy Brooks concerts going ahead or what ?! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

That question was all but put to him..

He did not want to play for the 240,000 and say tough crap to the 160,000.

He wants to play concerts for ALL the 400,000!!!

What is it about that that people are not getting.. and he also said is willing to whatever it takes in order to make that happen.

If I could post "Money, Money, Money" by ABBA right now I would.

Help me out guys! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    Except to obey the law of the country of Ireland.

"Sort it out, then put laws in place"

What laws specifically have been broken?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

Yeah, he's so eager to play for 400,000 Irish people that he's going to play for none of them.

If he said yes to the three concerts, the other two would be cancelled.

Then it would be:

"If Garth really cared about his fans, he would have held out for all the concerts"

No matter what he did, he would have been vilified. It was and is a no win situation.

He stuck to his guns though and what he is doing the ONLY way that there is a chance the 400,000 will all get their concerts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

Planning laws, if they go ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

"Whatever it takes" meaning a 5 gig pay packet !! If that's not his real agenda let's see him give the proceeds from the last 2 shows to local charities ....how about it Garth

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

I have tickets for the Monday night. I don't care what happens any more, I just want my money back. Such a joke. That press conference was the last embarrassing nail in the coffin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

None yet. But if our glorious leader tries to change the law of the land to allow all 5 gigs happen in 3 weeks time then we have a problem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Piliger wrote: »
    When 400,000 people in a country of 4million are passionate about an issue, and add their families to that, then I think it is the epitome of a democracy for the prime minister to get involved. That's what a democracy is all about and it's heartening to see it work properly.

The same prime minister who refuses to ever speak publicly or engage in any form of open debate or answer any questions relating to the economy or the general running of the country? The same lightweight chinprick who's spent 40 years in parliament without a single notable achievement? The same vapid nonentity who worked as a primary school teacher for 18 months before inheriting his father's seat? The waxwork gombeen whose every single act in government has been to increase taxes as his EU masters tell him? Yeah this is democracy in action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

What about the ship...did anyone think of the ship!!!:eek:

Then it would be:

"If Garth really cared about his fans, he would have held out for all the concerts"

No matter what he did, he would have been vilified. It was and is a no win situation.

He stuck to his guns though and what he is doing the ONLY way that there is a chance the 400,000 will all get their concerts.

Ehm, no. People would have accepted that three gigs were all that were going to happen and would have took their refund and got over it.

Not everyone has such little respect for the decision of the DCC as many people here seem to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Pick a realistic example ffs... Say, the Corrs have booked out Shay Stadium on their "We've Finished Raising Our Babies" Tour in 2015... and then the locals object to permission for the gigs on the grounds that they dont like that particular brand of Paddywhackery Pop music... Jim Corr schedules a press conference to ask President Obama why the concerts wont be allowed (and why he orchestrated 9/11).. .:D

Two reasons why that is a ridiculous analogy;
    The name was Shea Stadium
    It was knocked down some years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

"Whatever it takes" meaning a 5 gig pay packet !!

Oh sweet marie. Are people really still trying to suggest his decision is motivated by money?!?

It beggars belief.

This is the guy that snubbed deals with iTunes that would have netted him well over €100million by now and yet people are saying he had some master-plan to make a mint here and that's why he's holding out for five. It's laughably absurd!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Does Kenny and his gombeens not realise the damage they will do to themselves with the non redneck ****kicking linedancing voter if.they get the show on the road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭rolliepoley

Its all in the name.

He'll Troyal he can to fill his pockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

The best thing about this whole debacle will be years from now watching "Reeling in the Years 2014"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

sabat wrote: »
    The same prime minister who refuses to ever speak publicly or engage in any form of open debate or answer any questions relating to the economy or the general running of the country? The same lightweight chinprick who's spent 40 years in parliament without a single notable achievement? The same vapid nonentity who worked as a primary school teacher for 18 months before inheriting his father's seat? The waxwork gombeen whose every single act in government has been to increase taxes as his EU masters tell him? Yeah this is democracy in action.

Yep the same Taoiseach who inherited an economic disaster and turned it around. And since when has he been refusing to speak publicly about the economy?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

This is the guy that snubbed deals with iTunes
    There is lots of bigtime artists that snubbed iTunes because they wanted fans paying 10 quid for albums and not 1 quid for an individual song. Most people only know about 2 or 3 GB songs, the rest they couldn't care less about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Maphisto

Then it would be:

Well no matter what he does he will never get everyone's approval because I can't stand him.

It strikes me as far better to disappoint 160,000, than 400,000 but then what do I know.

Incidentally who is likely to have to cough for the damages that are likely be claimed? DCC by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Flem31

With the "oh we are not worthy" type questions from the Irish "journalists"...........I can't stop thinking of Steve Martin in Leap of Faith.....

Leap of Faith Got Trouble
    cant post url as a new user, but first one is about a problem with a neighbour......priceless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Captain Scarlet

Does anyone else here remember the Boomtown Rats "return to Ireland" gig in 1979, when they were due to play the RDS, except the residents objected, and then everywhere they tried in Dublin the residents did the same (we´ll have none of that foreign new wave nonsense here), and all of us who had bought tickets had to listen to Radio Dublin 253 to find out if the concert was going ahead, and at the last minute the guy who owned Leixlip Castle offered it as a venue, and CIE put on buses from the quays so we could all actually find out where Leixlip was, and it was a brilliant concert? Just wondering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

This so cringe inducing - I'm mortified that our so-called leader is getting involved in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Who says 400,000 are 'passionate' about the issue?

People booked a gig, not a religious event. You couldn't write the bull**** suppositions people are making here.

i'd say they're a lot more passionate about the gig than their religion. most of them anyway. so i don't really get your point.

we live in a democracy where the majority should rule and the majority in ireland are in favor. so i hope it goes ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,157 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Loire wrote: »
    The best thing about this whole debacle will be years from now watching "Reeling in the Years 2014"

It will be a Reeling in the years 2014 Special. 60 minutes dedicated to this debacle. The Christmas boxset edition will include an extra disc featuring an exclusive interview with Livelines " Mary", who was writing to the Pope about it.

• Advertisement

Oh sweet marie. Are people really still trying to suggest his decision is motivated by money?!?

It beggars belief.

This is the guy that snubbed deals with iTunes that would have netted him well over €100million by now and yet people are saying he had some master-plan to make a mint here and that's why he's holding out for five. It's laughably absurd!

Source for €100 million claim please.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement