Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

nm wrote: »
    Aiken did the same as any other gig promoter in the country, rented a venue and sold the tickets subject to licence.

But as everyone with a Garth Brooks CD keeps reminding us, this wasn't any other gig. This was 400,000 people over five nights in a venue that had an agreement with local residents not to play those gigs. You can't just act like this was another night in the Olympia or the Point Depot.

Slane, Marley Park, Lansdowne Road etc, none of these other massive outdoor venues have ever attempted to ride roughshood over concerns and enforce five consecutive concerts. It was clearly too much and Aiken should have been aware of this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Rightwing wrote: »
    Not necessarily. Punters should go to Rugby 7's in Thomond Park. That'd be good for the economy too.

What's that a stab at? Comedy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

dubscottie wrote: »
    I think artists will think twice about playing in stadiums etc in Ireland if this is the crap they have to put up with..

I wonder is the residents of the Lansdowne Road area will do the same when 3 concerts are announced for next year!

I will if they attempt to hold three concerts on weekdays when I have to get to and from work. Sporting stadiums in built up areas should be used for their intended purpose. Running a series of concerts causing massive inconvenience to residents should not be allowed. The odd one is bearable but 8 nights of concerts over a couple of months was serious messing on behalf of the GAA.

Aiken took the piss and got caught out. Brooks comes out of it looking like a spoilt brat.

The residents were 100% in the right as were DCC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Most likely scenario is that no artists decide to try hold 5 gigs in a row in Croke Park. Otherwise, the world will go on as normal.

But what about all the tourists? I hear they are currently being packed up to be sent home and nobody will enter the country again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

So 20,000 from outside Ireland and the UK?

That'd be 22,000 actually but what point is it your trying to make? That the 48,000 English, Welsh and Scottish people that booked flights and ferries aren't tourists, coming here for the concerts, and to spend money in Ireland?

Really clutching at straws now to make it look like there isn't a massive economic benefit. Getting ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Hey look lads, we've made the front page of Sky News haha! :eek::eek::eek:

http://news.sky.com/story/1297492/garth-brooks-cancels-all-irish-shows-after-row

The Sky News subs have called this correctly - it is the obese C&W crooner that has given the two fingers to his fans.
    Country star Garth Brooks has cancelled five sell-out concerts in Ireland after a dispute between residents and venue owners

anncoates wrote: »
    I'm not saying it isn't true or money isn't lost. Just how do you quantify it, despite arbitrarily pulling figures out of one's arse to propagandize about the cancelled concerts. Most of the time the people still have the money?

How much of the 'local' money simply disappears because it's not going to be spent at a concert?

I have no idea. Do you ?

Local money? What does that even mean?

The figure quoted is money that was going to be spent in the local economy (directly benefitting a multitude of Irish industries), that will now be spent on other, less directly beneficial things (we import everything in case you hadn't realised) or else it will just remain unspent.

The economy is quite a bit more complex than you're making out. There's other businesses that supply other businesses along the chain and they all employ a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭SoCal MusicLover

Garth Brooks and his fans are not wanted there. We're all a big joke to you. Fear not, we will not bother you with our presence. And as someone who had been to Ireland and 5 previous occasions, it will be a long time, if ever, before I dare to come back. But you don't need us or our money, so you'll survive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

my friend wrote: »

Factual Information.

If money isn't spent on 1 event, it will find it's way to another event.

Q.E.D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Hey look lads, we've made the front page of Sky News haha! :eek::eek::eek:

http://news.sky.com/story/1297492/garth-brooks-cancels-all-irish-shows-after-row

But.. but.. didn't all the CP resident supporters on this thread promise this didn't matter and wouldn't make international news? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

my friend wrote: »

Ask the residents of Kinsale in Cork about that one, wink, wink.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭guernica

Will Ticketmaster get to keep all the booking fees again??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,767 ✭✭✭hynesie08

keith16 wrote: »
    Not to mentioned those 2 grand Prix Bernie Ecclestone was going to stage in Ireland. Say goodbye to them. And the US open.

Yeah, cause the issues in Brazil and Russia caused f1 to pull out of there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

guernica wrote: »

No. When concerts are cancelled. Booking fees are returned.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Garth Brooks and his fans are not wanted there. We're all a big joke to you.

That's not true. You're a joke in your own country too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Garth Brooks and his fans are not wanted there. We're all a big joke to you. Fear not, we will not bother you with our presence. And as someone who had been to Ireland and 5 previous occasions, it will be a long time, if ever, before I dare to come back. But you don't need us or our money, so you'll survive.

ah no...you sound like great craic :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

guernica wrote: »

Yes, the booking fee is essentially your insurance, so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,767 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Yeah, we will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭That_Girl_ Is_ A_Cowboy

DCC now admit they secretly offered to licence 4 of the concerts but if Brooks didn't agree to that, they would only offer 3.

On what planet does that make sense. Either licence the four publicly or don't.

GAA statement:

Note the part in bold which comepletly flies in the face of what the DCC have stated publicly.

Can they do a uturn now and put them back on?

Wishful thinking and hoping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

Oh god, people give as much of a fúck about you being a Garth Brooks fan than others being a U2 fan. This has nothing to do with who was planning on playing the five nights.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

At the end of the day, greed lost out.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

What's the difference between a GAA match and a concert? A GAA match makes a lot of noise, a concert makes a lot of noise, a GAA match causes a lot of traffic, a concert causes a lot of traffic. While yes, a concert may make a little bit more noise, but surely it can't make that much more noise than a GAA match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 HereToHere

This is the leading story on Fox news, and appears on CNN, ABC, France 24, BBC amongst others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

Chuckle chuckle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Joe Duffy is dedicating the rest of the week to this I believe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭rockbeast

It's the day the manufacturers of brown envelopes lost out :(

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭paddyirish23

Can they do a uturn now and put them back on?

Wishful thinking and hoping.

Let's hope they can, alot of begging going on so Obviously Dublin could do with these concerts going ahead as mayor out with his begging cap.
    Ireland open for business. . Just not Dublin. What a great headline that will make tomorrow!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Rojomcdojo wrote: »

The figure quoted is money that was going to be spent in the local economy (directly benefitting a multitude of Irish industries), that will now be spent on other, less directly beneficial things (we import everything in case you hadn't realised) or else it will just remain unspent.

Explain what these less directly beneficial things are? Going to dinner in Galway instead of buying merchandise in Dublin if the concert is cancelled?

And how do you know if money will be 'unspent' elsewhere?

The point I'm making is not that some businesses won't lose out rather these vague propaganda figures of money lost from the 'local economy'.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement