Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭circadian

Good to see the DCC not held to ransom. In all fairness the organisers should have applied for permission before putting tickets on the market.

The blame lies on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Just saw him on Rte news, I may have just thrown up in my mouth:mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Yellowblackbird

Garth has kindly given us time to fix our laws.
    For now just an apology from the Prime Minister. And a 'Yes'.
    And everythings ok. He'll give us time to fix the laws and guidelines.

By the way if they need a venue in which Enda can apologise to him they can use my house. I'll put the kids out in the street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Maphisto

sabat wrote: »
    The same prime minister who refuses to ever speak publicly or engage in any form of open debate or answer any questions relating to the economy or the general running of the country? The same lightweight chinprick who's spent 40 years in parliament without a single notable achievement? The same vapid nonentity who worked as a primary school teacher for 18 months before inheriting his father's seat? The waxwork gombeen whose every single act in government has been to increase taxes as his EU masters tell him? Yeah this is democracy in action.

Not a Fina Gooley then? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,157 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Just saw him on Rte news, I may have just thrown up in my mouth:mad:

Do not swallow, like Enda's gonna do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

Ehm, no. People would have accepted that three gigs were all that were going to happen and would have took their refund and got over it.

Not everyone has such little respect for the decision of the DCC as many people here seem to have.

What about the respect for the 160,000 that held tickets for five months, some of whom booked flights, hotels, arranged holidays around.. do they not deserve respect, no?

Typical fcuking Ireland, where an American cares more about 145,000 or so irish people getting ripped off, than their own fellow citizens do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

sabat wrote: »
    The same prime minister who refuses to ever speak publicly or engage in any form of open debate or answer any questions relating to the economy or the general running of the country? The same lightweight chinprick who's spent 40 years in parliament without a single notable achievement? The same vapid nonentity who worked as a primary school teacher for 18 months before inheriting his father's seat? The waxwork gombeen whose every single act in government has been to increase taxes as his EU masters tell him? Yeah this is democracy in action.

So.....you won't be voting for him then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Cienciano wrote: »
    On the cringe meter, how bad was it (between 1-10)?
    Well it's not in low places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

Garth has kindly given us time to fix our laws.
    For now just an apology from the Prime Minister. And a 'Yes'.
    And everythings ok. He'll give us time to fix the laws and guidelines.

By the way if they need a venue in which Enda can apologise to him they can use my house. I'll put the kids out in the street.

A "yes"... Go fúck yourself Garth, he's a bloody country singer who's demanding a whole COUNTRY should change their laws to suit him.

If he gets what he wants I'll get sick.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    This so cringe inducing - I'm mortified that our so-called leader is getting involved in this.

The man wouldn't get involved in a ****ing debate on Prime Time or take part in election debates but he'll throw his hat into this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Typical fcuking Ireland, where an American cares more about 145,000 or so irish people getting ripped off, than their own fellow citizens do.
    Cares? How does cancelling 3 concerts show that he "cares"?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Tarzana wrote: »
    Planning laws, if they go ahead.

Can you cite the law in question? People keep going on about how 'the law' is being ignored but I have seen anyone actually say which law in particular.
    None yet. But if our glorious leader tries to change the law of the land to allow all 5 gigs happen in 3 weeks time then we have a problem.

No law needs to be changed to allow the concerts to go ahead. The original 3 gigs would have contravened the agreement with residents. The same applies if the extra two were given the green light.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Where's the Bull McCabe when you need him

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    we live in a democracy where the majority should rule and the majority in ireland are in favor. so i hope it goes ahead.

True, only if you rule out the "could not give a ****" portion of the population.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭fta93

What about the respect for the 160,000 that held tickets for five months, some of whom booked flights, hotels, arranged holidays around.. do they not deserve respect, no?

But no ones getting ripped off unless you were stupid enough to get caught out

You make it seem a bad thing that people care more about our planning laws and procedures being pis*ed on than some people having to miss a concert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Captain Scarlet

Does anyone else here remember the Boomtown Rats "return to Ireland" gig in 1979, when they were due to play the RDS, except the residents objected, and then everywhere they tried in Dublin the residents did the same (we´ll have none of that foreign new wave nonsense here), and all of us who had bought tickets had to listen to Radio Dublin 253 to find out if the concert was going ahead, and at the last minute the guy who owned Leixlip Castle offered it as a venue, and CIE put on buses from the quays so we could all actually find out where Leixlip was, and it was a brilliant concert? Just wondering.

Sorry. It was 1980, and the original venue was supposed to be Leopardstown Racecourse. The RDS was blocked later. The residents of Foxrock and Leopardstown simply couldn´t abide having their peaceful leafy suburb disturbed just one f...ing night by loud music about a mile away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

The more this goes on, the less I want any concerts to go ahead. If he gets his five nights, it's a fking joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Worrying? It's downright terrifying. You wouldn't see blind loyality like that in a cult.
    You spelt the last word wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

Jaysus.........

About 4 weeks ago a friend of my OH called and offered us 2 tickets for the Friday night. We wouldn't be "fans" but we LOVE concerts so we decided, frig it, we'll go, it'll be a bit of craic a few bevies etc etc.. So we broke out the greatest hits again and were all gig for it... All this nonsense now has taken the shine off it... If they do go ahead we will still go but I think I'm just going to tune out of all coverage until a final decision has been made. I feel so sorry for the real fans I know if I was a huge fan of his this would be horrible... I don't get all the hate for Brooks and the fans its a bit sickening to read. I do think the government involvement is completely OTT now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

Can you cite the law in question? People keep going on about how 'the law' is being ignored but I have seen anyone actually say which law in particular.

He's been given permission for three concerts to go ahead, I can't see how five going ahead isn't going to be breaking the law.

• Advertisement

No law needs to be changed to allow the concerts to go ahead. The original 3 gigs would have contravened the agreement with residents. The same applies if the extra two were given the green light.

What about the licencing legislation that does now allow a decision to ve appealed or changed? You would need to break that law to allow the 5 to goahead as planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

Piliger wrote: »
    When 400,000 people in a country of 4million are passionate about an issue, and add their families to that, then I think it is the epitome of a democracy for the prime minister to get involved. That's what a democracy is all about and it's heartening to see it work properly.

It's not 400,00 different people....... probably 150,000 bearing in mind some people are going to 5 shows, 4 shows, 3 and 2, so it's most likely nearer to 150,000 actual people about 3% of population of the island (nordies love the oul country tear in my beer music too). a very small minority so.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,283 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I'm sure Enda could give him a few pointers in the most effective way to travel to visit a foreign leader in order to grovel and promise to do anything to save face.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

The more this goes on, and if a venue is approved, you can bet someone is going to make a lot of money out of this.

There is now so many heads involved that people in certain circles can see where this is headed.

It'll all probably go ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭almostbroke

400,000 cowboy hats for sale.....really good Price.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

This is like The Cuban Missile Crisis of 1962, except with more media coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

First Up wrote: »
    Yep the same Taoiseach who inherited an economic disaster and turned it around. And since when has he been refusing to speak publicly about the economy?

He has never given an interview to Newstalk 106 Ireland's second biggest radio station

• Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭circadian

A "yes"... Go fúck yourself Garth, he's a bloody country singer who's demanding a whole COUNTRY should change their laws to suit him.

If he gets what he wants I'll get sick.

If he gets what he wants I think I'll just sack everything and go postal.

Organisers should be refunding everything, they made the cock up. He wants the rules changed because they didn't follow the guidelines properly. Jump on a plane back to the USA Garth, don't forget the ego and don't bother coming back you jacked up money grabbing hoor.

The 5 gigs or no gigs backfired in spectacular fashion. Rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    i'd say they're a lot more passionate about the gig than their religion. most of them anyway. so i don't really get your point.

we live in a democracy where the majority should rule and the majority in ireland are in favor. so i hope it goes ahead.

How do you know that the majority are in favour? 400,000 tickets, lets just suppose for a minute that they were all sold to individual Irish people (although we know some were sold overseas, and some people have bought tickets to more than one night) How is that the majority of the people? I think you're forgetting about the actual silent majority, who don't give a toss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

"the irish are the most lovely people on the planet" :rolleyes:

this butt kissing is putting me off my tea

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement